Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-04-2016, 7:52 AM Reply   
so I have been wakeboarding for the past 10 years ( only about 6-10 times) per summer but as I am getting older with kids and work surfing will be my new sport. I just purchased a new T22 ( first inboard finally!!) and I want to get a surfboard. I am 6-3 205-210. and am looking for a decent starter board that I can use but will be fun for anyone else who may want to give it a try. ( we are always entertaining?) any good recommendations . I have purchased my last two wake boards used off this site so I am hoping for the same success on the surf board. ( I am not good enough to buy new!) any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-04-2016, 1:53 PM Reply   
Liquid Force Fish has proven to be a great starter board & they're well priced. I am 5'8 195lbs & bought the 5'-4", probably could have been fine with the 5' but everyone in the family rides it great & first timers we take out ride it very well, including the tweens my daughter brings. I also have a Byerly Volt that is fun, but takes a little more talent to ride
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       04-04-2016, 8:54 PM Reply   
I learned on a Byerly Volt as well as did all of my friends. Fairly athletic friends pick up pretty quick on it but those who aren't have some trouble.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-08-2016, 7:21 AM Reply   
I just bought a CWB keg to learn on and use as a board for anyone in the boat to learn on but haven't tried it yet.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-08-2016, 8:29 AM Reply   
Lots of learning style boards out there, some make it easier to learn than others. You will want to look at larger boards due to you size, generally 5'0 and up.
Nick
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-13-2016, 6:47 AM Reply   
thanks for all the info! I'll keep you guys posted on what I find,
Old     (Connolly_Crew)      Join Date: Mar 2016       04-14-2016, 5:42 PM Reply   
I would buy a nicer board from the word go. You will outgrow a beginner board very quickly and be where you are now in just a few months. Good luck
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-20-2016, 9:11 AM Reply   
agree....go ahead and get you a nice board and save yourself some money in the longrun.
Check out the guys a Doomswell. They are putting out some awesome boards
Old     (rlwagens)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-20-2016, 10:55 AM Reply   
I learned on a Volt as well cause the guy threw it in when I bought my boat, and still have fun on it. Also have the LF Fish, real easy to ride on but pretty boring compared to the Volt I think. Haven't spent the money on a nice surfer yet.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-20-2016, 2:33 PM Reply   
What are you really going to notice buying a high end board? I don't think it's in the cards this year since we just bought 2013 MB & it needs Fresh Air Exhaust & a high altitude prop, but this thread has me wondering what am I missing out on? I mostly just ride, been trying to stick 360's but so far no luck
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       04-21-2016, 7:51 AM Reply   
You'd notice the same difference as if you bought a low end boat vs a high end boat. A better product. Pony up 6-700$ and get in touch with the Doomswell guys like Micah stated youll be happy you did.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-21-2016, 8:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
What are you really going to notice buying a high end board?
Higher end boards often make riding easier. They make it easier to recover when falling back, you can gain speed easier, and just overall ride more efficiently. Some models require the rider to be at a certain level, but most boards can make even beginners get the hang of wakesurfing much easier.
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-21-2016, 8:47 AM Reply   
We started out with a Hyperlite Broadcast...we outgrew that board in a Very short time. Then we got a Hyperlite Coex....It is a kinda cross between a wakeboard , wakesurf board...again, outgrew that board quickly. Then I got a Inland Surfer Blue Lake...that was the right board for me..my wife rides a Walker Project F-15 with custom graphics. We both ride surf style. My point is ...if your going to wakesurf...commit to it ...if your Just going to dabble in it ...get whatever.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-21-2016, 8:52 AM Reply   
Don't overlook used higher end boards also.
I have a inland swallow that I don't use anymore if you are interested.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-21-2016, 9:35 AM Reply   
everyone on our boat has been able to learn on the ronix power tail, from small ladies to large guys. You can 1-2 year old models in outlet sections online, try evo or eBay. Compared to the LF fish, its much more fun to ride.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-22-2016, 8:31 PM Reply   
We have a CWB Bentley that friends of all sizes can learn on. Might be a good place to start.