Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (WAKE_UP_TN)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-13-2011, 7:47 AM Reply   
Looking a buying a new Axis soon. I just wanted to get your guys thoughts on which one was the better deal. I have my doubts about the A20 being roomy enough but it is also a little easier to travel with. I wanted to get an idea on the difference in the wakes also. I know both can kick awesome wakes but just wanted to hear some opinions on the 2 boats. Thanks
Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-13-2011, 12:10 PM Reply   
Well I own a 2011 Axis A-20 and love the boat. I have also ridden behind an A-22 a couple of times before I purchased. Both of the wake are awesome in my book. I decided to get the A-20 because I trailer my boat everywhere I go and of course part of it was the price difference. The main question you need to ask yourself is what size crew of people usually comes out on the boat with you. 9 times out of 10 the max I have is 8 people in the boat expect for holiday weekends which most of the time ends up being 10 now. I had 10 people in the boat over the Fourth and there is enough room for people to be comforable but with 8 people have a little more room. I think you will be happy with either boats wake but it just depends on what you want. Have you ridden behind either of the boats?
Old     (WAKE_UP_TN)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-13-2011, 12:49 PM Reply   
No I haven't gotten a chance to ride behind one yet. I don't really feel like that will be an issue though. Main thing I am wondering about is the room in the boat. Most of the time like you said its only 6-8 in the boat but sometimes can get up to 10-12... Just want to make sure I'm happy with what I get. I don't think I could really go wrong with either though. Is there anything you don't like about the boat or that you noticed wasn't up to quality?
Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-13-2011, 1:03 PM Reply   
As of now, I can't say anything bad about the boat. Yea would it be nice to have a wakesetter with all the BLING, OF COURSE, but the Axis is simple and functional. The boat has everything a person needs and a few other sweet options. One thing that I would make sure to get is the interior lighting, not sure if it is standard or options, makes going in the rear storage and glove box alot easier to see when its dark or getting dark. I plan to have the rear underwater lights installed as well but that is for looks. Have you been to a dealer to see, sit, and play around in one?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-13-2011, 1:50 PM Reply   
If you are going to have 10-12 people get the A22. We have towed ours all over the place and I don't think it is a big deal. It has been on trips to Powell and Oklahoma from Denver and the size never seemed like an issue.
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-13-2011, 1:57 PM Reply   
we have an new A-22 and looked at the A-20....the extra room was nice and the extra length is not really noticed trailering unless you have a tight garage space. We tow to and from our lake 3-5 times a week and have had no issues. The wakes on both are very comparable and can be scaled to any level beginner to pro...we had an 8 year old learning to wake board last week with no ballast and wedge up and then had full ballast wedge down with some of the adults in the boat. Same with surfing. We could not be happier...there are a few options with either model I would be sure to get -wedge, chillax seats, swivel driver seat, bimini, and lighting to name a few.
Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-13-2011, 2:26 PM Reply   
That is also why I went with the A-20 over the A-22. It fixs in my garage a lot easier
Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-13-2011, 2:51 PM Reply   
really, I think that it comes down to the garage size (favors A20) and the number of people you plan on having on the boat (favors A22). They are both awesome boats, and we absolutely love our A22. In addition to the options mentioned above, the other must have option would be the plug and play ballast option and the wedge.

The storage lighting is standard. Accent lighting is optional but a nice touch. We opted for storage lighting only since we are never out at night.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-13-2011, 2:53 PM Reply   
If you need to put your boat in a standard-ish garage, you have length restrictions on your lake, or you just want a small boat and don't have a large crew, the A20 is great. If you routinely have 8 or more people on your boat, it's nice to have the extra room in the A22. The A22 is a bit longer, obviously, so it's a little more cumbersome to tow and store, but not by much. The wake behind the A20 is a bit wider than the A22 wake. The wake shapes are very similar. Honestly, IMO, if room is not a concern, I'd just buy an A22. It's always better to have a little extra room.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-13-2011, 5:00 PM Reply   
stilll havent seen any a-20 wake pics
Old     (LightningRon)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-14-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
Matt
What size is your garage? Does the A20 fit straight in or at an angle? Do you remove the swim platform or wedge? I'm looking into both as well and if the A20 wont fit into my garage then I might as well just get the A22.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-14-2011, 9:34 AM Reply   
Pickle forks are tougher to fit in a garage if you have to go in at an angle. If you can't fit the A20 in then definately go A22, the price difference isn't that much.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-14-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
IMHO.... The bigger the better. Unless you live on a lake with size restrictions or are going with the smaller boat for financial reasons, then you'll never be upset by having the bigger boat.

We have a 23 LSV and usually only ride with 3-4 people. Is it necessary? NO, but it sure is comfortable.
Old     (mryan318)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-14-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
I put mine in at a angle and I do not remove the swim platform. I have a 3 car garage and put it in a angle from the double door into the third stall. Fits in there very nicely. If I would have gotten a A-22 I would have been taking the swim platform to fix the boat in there for sure and I really didn't want to do that
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-14-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   
Matt - I'm thinking of taking Friday off...

Let's shred
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-14-2011, 3:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
IMHO.... The bigger the better. Unless you live on a lake with size restrictions or are going with the smaller boat for financial reasons, then you'll never be upset by having the bigger boat.

We have a 23 LSV and usually only ride with 3-4 people. Is it necessary? NO, but it sure is comfortable.
I agree, it's only me and my girl on my A22 and the extra room is nice. My firend has an A20 and they consistently have 6-8 onboard and he said he wishes he had gotten the A22.
Old     (WAKE_UP_TN)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-15-2011, 6:24 AM Reply   
Well, Right now there is an A20 that I really really like no A22's at my local dealer. I can wait till next year and get the A22 but he told me that the prices on Axis were going to increase next year by 4-6%. So basically if I was to buy an A20 this year with tricked out trailer and options, next year the same boat would be about 5-6k higher in price. I don't know if thats true or not bc he could of just been saying that to sell me the boat.. However, I have never seen boats drop in price either.. I think I would be fine in the A20 sure more room is always nice but for the money I think it's the best deal right now. Here's a pic of the boat I want.

Old     (Gryphon)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-15-2011, 6:51 AM Reply   
4-6% on a 50k boat is an increse of 2-3,000, not 5-6,000. Unless you were planning on paying 100,000+ for it then the increase would be 5-6k.
Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-15-2011, 7:43 AM Reply   
I'm diggin the orange and black!
Old     (WAKE_UP_TN)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-15-2011, 9:27 AM Reply   
Yeah I know how much 4-6% is on 50K but I think what he meant is the price at which they get the boat for is going up 4-6% so to make any profit they would have to inrease by 6-12% on final price... Therefore making it a 5-6K increase. He also said because of the high demand for the boats, they are going to be less flexible on the prices next year. Thanks Chris, The orange and black has me hooked too!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-15-2011, 9:33 AM Reply   
Love that orange boat!!! The exact same thing was said last year about Axis prices going up. If they keep going up ~5% a year they aren't going to be a "price point" boat much longer.........
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-15-2011, 9:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruizza View Post
Love that orange boat!!! The exact same thing was said last year about Axis prices going up. If they keep going up ~5% a year they aren't going to be a "price point" boat much longer.........
Exactly and they'll have to add some bling to compete, ecspecially with the MTX coming out.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-15-2011, 11:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAKE_UP_TN View Post
Yeah I know how much 4-6% is on 50K but I think what he meant is the price at which they get the boat for is going up 4-6% so to make any profit they would have to inrease by 6-12% on final price... Therefore making it a 5-6K increase. He also said because of the high demand for the boats, they are going to be less flexible on the prices next year. Thanks Chris, The orange and black has me hooked too!
I don't doubt that you that the price of the boat will go up that much but it has more to do with being able get that much for them besides your example of increase in %. If the price of the boat to the dealer goes up 4-6% then they should increase the selling price 4-6%. They will make the same GP that they were before but making a higher gross profit in dollar amount.
Old     (chasdabigone)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-15-2011, 4:25 PM Reply   
that boat does look sick man - it basically comes down to whether or not you are going to be disappointed about the amount of room in the boat. my a22 is very roomy but also a monster behind the truck... i have heard both wakes are sick, the a22 throws a monster one and i bet the a20 does as well