Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bigd1031)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-26-2015, 10:26 PM Reply   
I have another thread discussing the difference between the Tige RZ2 and 22Ve.

Since starting that thread I have found a 2011 MB B52 WB, which I mentioned in that thread, but wanted to get some additional input from the forum.

I went and looked at the MB today and was impressed with the fit and finish. It is in great condition, has 46 hours and a pretty nice stereo setup. The biggest issues I have with it are no wake plate and it only has stock ballast. (Both of which are fixable but things I am pretty sure I want to add, so additional money.)

I also found 2007 Tige RZ2 that I haven't had a chance to look at yet. It looks like it is in great condition, I know it throws a decent surf wave and it also has a nice stereo. Only concerns I have with this boat are 550 hours and having to add additional ballast (owner got rid of the rear ballast bags when he was experimenting with surf gates.)

I am looking for some input from the members. Pros and cons of the brands, thoughts on the surf waves (we mainly surf goofy), issues or items to look for in each boat, etc.

Thanks in advance.

D
Old     (bigd1031)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-26-2015, 10:54 PM Reply   
I forgot to mention, the MB is the 23' boat and they are asking 5k more than the Tige RZ2.

Last edited by bigd1031; 06-26-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       06-27-2015, 4:36 AM Reply   
For only 5 grand more its a no brainer to buy the MB. And i'm the owner of a 07 RZ2.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-27-2015, 5:34 AM Reply   
Probably the best bang for the buck surf boat out there. Will put out a fantastic wave on both sides with a few mods (ballast, trim tab, prop).

1100 in the surfside corner, as much ballast as you can stuff under the seats in the bow, and a trim tab to knock down the prop wash (in vid above it is not deployed at all... fully retracted), and the wave is absolutely fantastic. Wakeboard wake is pretty darn good too, especially above 23.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-27-2015, 8:00 AM Reply   
Don't be scared by the hours. 550 hours is nothing on a boat. The drivetrain of the boat is good for thousands of hours with proper maintenance.

How much is it to add the wakeplate to that MB? Did you drive it? What kind of price is it? A brand new MB isn't all that expensive in comparison to how much some of the used boats are going for. Also, how much is all of that ballast going to cost you? Some of the MB guys are running 4,000 lbs for surfing. Not dogging the MB, just making sure you know what you need to buy to get that wave.
Old     (bigd1031)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-27-2015, 9:27 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info and help everyone.

Just an FYI, the hours don't scare me at all (as long as it is taken care of ) and I actually think they are about average for a boat of that age that was used on a semi-regular basis. Most of the ski boats my family has bought over the years have had at least 400 hours and some had over 600. We then proceeded to run the hour meter well over 1000.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-27-2015, 10:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Don't be scared by the hours. 550 hours is nothing on a boat. The drivetrain of the boat is good for thousands of hours with proper maintenance.

How much is it to add the wakeplate to that MB? Did you drive it? What kind of price is it? A brand new MB isn't all that expensive in comparison to how much some of the used boats are going for. Also, how much is all of that ballast going to cost you? Some of the MB guys are running 4,000 lbs for surfing. Not dogging the MB, just making sure you know what you need to buy to get that wave.
Wakeplate DIY is under $300. Not hard. Wave in the video above is an 1100 sack and a fly high integrated bow sack. It's not like those are particularly expensive bags.

The reason MB guys can run 4K in ballast is because the factory gravity fill tanks hold 2300... so 2300+1100+400 ish in the bow could look like 4k lbs. All hidden with tons of storage. Of course you do need to bleed off water from the non-surf side to get the wave to clean up, so realistically 3000-3500 lbs.

size wise there's absolutely no comparison between MB 23 and an RZ2. MB cabin is way way more spacious.