Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-17-2011, 2:15 PM Reply   
Which is better? Ive always ridden Elsinore, never been to perris. Any feedback would be great.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-17-2011, 2:48 PM Reply   
Stay away from Perris, there's dirty diapers, ugly girls, and the water's always choppy. especially during the weekdays. Lake elsinore has cleaner water, you should just stay there.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-17-2011, 3:25 PM Reply   
Did I mention i'm down to ride with new people? I mean, the boat is decent, as long as you're not too picky
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-17-2011, 6:05 PM Reply   
whats up man! Elsinore all the way! Perris sucks, very small, by 10 if your not done riding your screwed. Its good for dawn patrols, but Elsi is alot better. I'm up at Elsi all the time. If you need a third let me know! I'm good for gas money, clean up and I'm a competent driver, I have a 05 Malibu VLX, got to love the VLX!
Old     (txmxer)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-17-2011, 11:27 PM Reply   
Ive only been to Elsinore twice and im not a big fan. The water is terrible, the docks are terrible especially for the launch fee, the ramps are algae filled, and its a small lake with alot of traffic. I only live 15-20 minutes from Elsinore but we skip Elsinore and go to Castaic if we want to make a day trip. Ive never been to Perris though.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-18-2011, 1:58 AM Reply   
I've always done Elsinore, castaic is just too far unless a whole group is going. I used to do lb stadium a lot, but trying to resist putting the new boat in salt.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-18-2011, 2:22 AM Reply   
Bear, likewise, hit me up if you need a third. I have crazy work schedule, but try to get out when possible
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-18-2011, 6:59 AM Reply   
Elsi sucks. go to Perris!
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-18-2011, 8:15 AM Reply   
Castaic has to be one of the worst lakes for riding in California, unless you can get on that ski course. It is always windy there!!!
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-18-2011, 10:10 AM Reply   
ranks right up there with Silverwood huh?
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-18-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
You need to get to Castaic early... Though I have been there at sunset and it's been empty and really flat.

The best place to go is Buena Vista. That lake stays flat ALL Day.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-18-2011, 11:24 AM Reply   
I'm watching this thread closely. You see, I was born and raised in Socal (Woodland Hills, Thousand Oaks, and Tustin) and lived there most of my adult life before my job brought me up to Portland. Here I discovered boating... and we are hooked!

My wife and I talk about returning to Socal all the time; we really miss family and the weather. But there is one thing that keeps us from getting serious about it... we can't figure out where people wakeboard there.

Here is what i'm hearing in this thread:

- Elsinore (aka Smell-Some-More) is nasty
- Perris is a smaller version of Elsinore
- Castaic is windy and crowded
- Pyramid is small

In Oregon I live 10 minutes from this. Can I find this anywhere in Socal?

Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-18-2011, 11:50 AM Reply   
^^^Canyon Lake
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-18-2011, 11:57 AM Reply   
You can find that in Nor Cal. This is the best we can find. You have to pay for it and there are lots of turn arounds, but you cant beat getting to the lake at noon and still riding 3 buttery sets!!
Attached Images

Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-18-2011, 12:41 PM Reply   
You know, I have to say something in regards to Elsinore. It's not a dirty lake, It's a shallow lake in an area that gets really hot, so the algae flourishes and makes it look bad. I know it has a bad rap, but I've been going there for years and it's fine. I used to hit up LB Marine stadium which mid week you can't beat, but it is salt water. The stadium was ideal when I lived 2 mins from it, but now that I am further out (got tired of the parking situation and not having a yard) Elsinore was my other normal option. I just had never been to Perris for whatever reason, and wanted input on maybe a change of scenery here and there. I have been to castiac, I remember it getting blown out pretty quick, silverwood sucked, same issue. Other than heading for Parker, I was hoping to see what others say.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-18-2011, 12:57 PM Reply   
DBC - This is the S. Cal dilemma. I grew up in Wisconsin. We had our choice of 5 lakes within 5 miles of the house. Water & boats everywhere. Moved to S. Cal after college for the weather and other benefits. Bought a boat to share an activity with my kids as they were growing up. There's only ONE fresh-water reservoir, El Capitan, that you can board/ski on in San Diego County (with a population of 3 million people). Launch fees at El Cap are $7 for the boat and $10 for each person in it. That's $27-47 just to launch for 3-5 people. In a short 3-hour +/- session, we usually burn about 10 gallons of gas. So add $40 for boat gas. Add another $10-15 for truck gas towing there & back and we're up to $77-97 for the half-day outing. That's before the kids beg to stop by Burger King for lunch on the way home which would burn another $20-25. It sucks. But, I enjoy it so much, it's worth it.

There are other ways that help. At least half the time, it's just my buddies and I out for a quick dawn patrol session. Everyone kicks in a $20 or so which gets the total for me down. Other than that, I go to the River, Havasu or Mead 2-3 times a year. That about describes my wakeboarding time (never enough).

Last edited by ottog1979; 10-18-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: ,
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-18-2011, 1:27 PM Reply   
Never heard of a lake charging per person. What about san vicente? That wasn't to bad. Parks even did a shoot there years ago.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-18-2011, 1:36 PM Reply   
It's been +5 years since I lived down south but I remember Perris was small and has aerators to help keep the algae down. They also use to put chemical treatments in. Elsinore I distinctly remember a year when the channel was full of belly up fish. Elsinore was a better lake for wakeboarding if I remember correctly but ehh. I went to some Wakeworld event in like '02 or '03 at San Vincente and that lake seemed nice.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-18-2011, 2:09 PM Reply   
We used to be San V. regulars. Trying to remember if they charged per person or not. If they did, it was something only like $5 per head. I remember it being a lot cheaper. Can't wait for that to open up again, but it's a long wait to 2014-2016.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-18-2011, 2:27 PM Reply   
Elsi is not cheap, $25 to launch…If they start to charge per head, I will just pull a trick out of my old drive-in movie play book and start hiding people in storage compartments! Canyon backwater is the only decent place to ride in So Cal, but that will cost you a house payment to get access.
Old     (socalrider)      Join Date: May 2002       10-18-2011, 2:48 PM Reply   
Dave,
Looks like we will just have to go check Perris out for ourselves. What day this weekend do you want to go?
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-18-2011, 3:55 PM Reply   
Im off Sunday, we can get a morning run in and drink at your pad after..
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-18-2011, 3:57 PM Reply   
Damn, we got a bunch of haters here in socal apparently. Despite what people tell you, it is possible to ride in LA frequently without buying a house in canyon lake.

I have grown to love riding in the LA area, as well as all the crews I ride with. Here's my thoughts on the local spots in LA, since I've managed to find a crew at every lake through the blessings of the find a third thread. Thank you WW.

I ride 2-4 times a week, year round, on nothing but flat water. I work a 8-5 like most people.

Perris is glass until noon every weekday all year round. And most of the time you'll be the only boat on the water. I love riding Perris. Water is MUCH cleaner than elsinore. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't been back to that lake in a while. (mid day summer weekends are bad)

Perris, like last week...monday ~11am ?
Name:  Perris.jpg
Views: 3073
Size:  89.5 KB
Name:  Perris3.jpg
Views: 2769
Size:  46.4 KB

Elsinore main lake is really only good for dawn patrol, weekdays. and during the winter. Yea the lake smells, and it always smells like dead fish. We hardly ever ride the main lake. But winter is a money time to ride any day of the week. (mid day summer weekends are bad)

Elsinore Main Lake in the Winter - It looks like this all winter long
Name:  Elsinore_main.jpg
Views: 2593
Size:  91.0 KB

Elsinore channel is good all day, all year long. Probably the most accessible spot in socal that will stay good all the time almost without fail. It gets windy after 3-5 pm ish, but still more than rideable. (mid day summer weekends are good)

Elsinore Channel - 1 month ago - midday saturday
Name:  Elsinore_Channel.jpg
Views: 2540
Size:  83.7 KB

BV is good pretty much all year round, anytime of day except for summer. Which arent bad for dawn patrol, and it helps that they have a camping ground where you can park your boat in the water right up to your campsite. Its definately worth trying at least once. Its a small lake but has islands in the middle for protection. (mid day, summer weekends are bad)

Haven't been back to BV in a couple years since I found my way to Bakodise. Wish I had a better picture.Name:  BV.jpg
Views: 2497
Size:  41.1 KB

Long Beach Marine Stadium is dope... if you're ok with putting your boat in the salt. Its got great wind protection, except for in one direction, and it seems like it's always good except for summer. And even then, it's hit or miss because of its ideal shape. Its super long so even with a ton of boats, we're all forced to drive a straight down and bac which keeps the water relatively flat. Winter, this is my favorite place to ride cause the ocean water is warmer than the fresh water. It is in all honesty, one of my favorite places to ride in the country because of how unique the surrounding is. (mid day, summer weekends are rideable/ hit or miss)

LB a couple months ago, midday sunday
Name:  LB.jpg
Views: 2407
Size:  85.6 KB

LB during the spring
Name:  LB3.jpg
Views: 2364
Size:  62.7 KB

Castaic Ski Cove is more than rideable all year round until noon. (mid day, summer weekends are rideable)

Castaic Ski Cove - midday sunday
Name:  Castaic_ski.jpg
Views: 2405
Size:  86.3 KB

Castaic Ski Cove - midday sunday - one month ago.
Name:  Castaic ski cove.jpg
Views: 2704
Size:  48.6 KB

As we all know, Castaic main lake is good for dawn patrol until about 9/10. But is glass all day starting in November until like March. (mid day summer weekends are terrible)

Castaic Main - Saturday morning dawn - last week
Name:  Castaic_Dawn.jpg
Views: 2353
Size:  41.8 KB

Don't forget we have the desert wake cable now too. It's a long drive, but it's cheap to ride, and the water's always good.

Then there's bakodise.... Perfect. ALL THE TIME. If you manage to get an invite, don't turn it down. It'll change your world.

Name:  Bakodise.jpg
Views: 2372
Size:  48.2 KB
Name:  Bakodise_2.jpg
Views: 2453
Size:  94.5 KB

IMHO, you just gotta be willing to drive or get up early during the summer, or be willing to ride in the fall, winter, spring months. But what are we complaining about really? Most states would be begging to ride all year round on glass despite the "freezing" 65 degree weather
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-18-2011, 4:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
I'm watching this thread closely. You see, I was born and raised in Socal (Woodland Hills, Thousand Oaks, and Tustin) and lived there most of my adult life before my job brought me up to Portland. Here I discovered boating... and we are hooked!

My wife and I talk about returning to Socal all the time; we really miss family and the weather. But there is one thing that keeps us from getting serious about it... we can't figure out where people wakeboard there.

Here is what i'm hearing in this thread:

- Elsinore (aka Smell-Some-More) is nasty
- Perris is a smaller version of Elsinore
- Castaic is windy and crowded
- Pyramid is small

In Oregon I live 10 minutes from this. Can I find this anywhere in Socal?

You can't find that 10 minutes from anywhere in socal. There are parts of the colorado river that are like that all day and we ride there pretty much year around.

We ride elsi a decent amount and enjoy it during the fall, winter and spring early in the morning.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-18-2011, 5:53 PM Reply   
I was only trying to get opinions on two lakes, for the record, I'm not hating, I love so Cal. Where else can you snowboard in the morning, then get a wake session in the evening on the same day? The rest one the country is winterizing and we're still trying to find people to ride with. All spots are pretty good in the morning, just looking for a change of scenery with traveling hours on end. Btw, below was Elsinore this past January about noon.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-19-2011, 8:11 AM Reply   
John,

Do you have to get a pass for the Castaic Ski Cove? If so how do you do that?
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-19-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
Umm... Yes. You need a pass. Just to be fair to the guys I ride with in the cove, I don't think I should post all the info.

Do some legwork. It is possible for anyone to get a pass. Sorry
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-19-2011, 6:23 PM Reply   
John... all I can say is, WOW! What a great post... comprehensive look at all the Socal spots. I had no idea there were so many options. Now I feel better about maybe coming home some day.

And I hope you weren't calling me a "hater." I'm the last guy to hate on Socal. It's my home!!
Old    readyaimfire            10-20-2011, 12:08 PM Reply   
Last time I was at buena vista I jumped in for my set in the middle of the lake and ended up standing in chest high water. 4-5' deep at best. Not sure how it is now, but it was a shallow mud hole. The wake was super flat because the wake was so shallow.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-20-2011, 1:24 PM Reply   
Yea, BV was shallow on the far side of the lake. I don't know if you can say "4-5' at best." From what I recall, most of the lake was well over 10 feet, which is more than enough to produce a full wake. I agree though. BV isn't the deepest lake ever; and I don't want to turn this into a lake depth vs. wake size thread. However I'll just give my buddy Poser some love here, cause they shred BV from november through march, and let you decide whether the lake is sufficient or not.

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...don-poser.html
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-20-2011, 4:14 PM Reply   
Back the original question of Perris vs. Elsinore, I have a friend who is a park ranger at Perris. He has said several times how bacteria infested the lake is. Apparently at these lakes State Parks does routine bacteria testing, and he was saying Perris has far higher levels of bacteria on a consistent basis than Elsinore. This goes against the quick reaction of looking at Perris' clarity compared to Elsinore. You can't see 1/2 foot deep at Elsinore but apparently Elsinore’s algae is what keeps the bacteria low. I'm not 100% confident with explaining why that is or if that is even why the bacteria is down, but he seemed confident when explaining it to me.

Having wakeboarded and swallowed my fair share of both lakes, I can anecdotally tell you I never get sick after being in Elsinore, but I commonly have the coughs and sneezes for a few days after being in Perris.

Because of that, Elsinore is where I take my family and kids for day trips. Anything more than a day and you better believe I'm heading out to Havasu or Mojave!
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-20-2011, 6:46 PM Reply   
Elsi is pretty shallow also. My wake is noticeably larger at Perris.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-20-2011, 11:21 PM Reply   
Pyramid is not that small and during the week pretty good. Summer weekends not so good. Didn't vo this summer there. There was some green fungus stuff in water. Anybody gone lately and was there still that green slimy stuff still there?
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-21-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
Alot of people say lake silver wood is good as well. I haven't been up their. I have read and heard that it is really a clear lake and that it is a little colder than elsi or perris since it's up near mountian high. Has anyone been up their? How is it?
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-21-2011, 9:32 AM Reply   
I haven't been to silveewood in years. I went twice back in the say and both times it was blown out pretty early. Water was cold, but cold water doesn't bother me, more reason to try not to fall
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-21-2011, 11:05 AM Reply   
The thing I like about pyramid is that castaic can be completely blown out, and pyramid might be a sheet of glass around sunset. Other than that, we normally write pyramid off as a weekend party lake.

I've only been to Piru a couple times, but I hear it stays good, for longer there than castaic? Plus you can keep your boat on a slip! Anyone tried this? Just show up and ride!
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-21-2011, 11:24 AM Reply   
http://waterskimag.com/real-estate/2...s-and-airpark/

No one has mentioned Paradise Lake..never been and doubt i will ever get access, but it looks like a lot of fun
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-21-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post

No one has mentioned Paradise Lake..never been and doubt i will ever get access, but it looks like a lot of fun
Steve, the owner of 'Sports LTD' boardshop (on Ventura blvd) has a place out there. Hit them up and ask to be put on their mailing/text list for demo days out at paradise. They do it about once a year, and normally have a couple pros come out too. Easy way to get out there and talk to some of those guys.

Just trying to be helpful...
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-21-2011, 12:36 PM Reply   
Few photos I snagged from a buddy of when Byerly and his crew were out at Paradise.

Name:  Lakes 002.jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  131.3 KB

Name:  Lakes.jpg
Views: 1937
Size:  81.7 KB

Name:  Lakes 001.jpg
Views: 2003
Size:  105.6 KB
Old    readyaimfire            10-21-2011, 5:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post

I think paradise has been referred to as bakodise in this thread. Being as its in Bakersfield. It's a play on words.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-21-2011, 10:53 PM Reply   
Piru is just one big pond. No coves or anything. I grew up around the area and it generally always blown out by 9 am. Even on weekdays. Caustic beats it hands down IMHO
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-23-2011, 7:59 PM Reply   
Just an update....

Elsinore, today, a Sunday, at 1pm. Late october, 92 degrees. Love so cal...

Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-24-2011, 7:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyaimfire View Post
I think paradise has been referred to as bakodise in this thread. Being as its in Bakersfield. It's a play on words.
Good guess. Close, but not quite.
Old    readyaimfire            10-27-2011, 12:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked_32 View Post
Good guess. Close, but not quite.
Well when I roll through bako in a couple weeks I think I should do some on the water research and get to the bottom of this mystery! Who's got the hookup?!
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-28-2011, 12:27 AM Reply   
Wait a minute, what's the answer here then?
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-28-2011, 6:19 PM Reply   
Bakodise is not Paradise, but Paradise is very close to Shredderland Ranch.