Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Grizz)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-07-2017, 5:40 PM Reply   
Sorry in advance as this will be long and I am sure these questions have been asked a million times but......here goes

I've got a cabin on a smaller lake in SW Canada that we live at all summer. Currently we are the original owners of a 1999 Bayliner Capri 2050 LS which has served us well over the years. Recently however, my wife has started wake surfing (behind a friend's ski boat, I know ours is way too dangerous) and my son who is now 7 is interested wake boarding. Since our boat is too dangerous to surf and there is nothing I can do to make it surfable we are discussing a new(er) unit which leads me to a few questions.......

1. Can you effectively surf and/or wake board behind a jet drive? Places around our lake can get as shallow as 3-4 feet according to my depth finder so it would be nice to consider a jet drive to not have to worry as much about the water level.

2. The friend (wife's friends husband) that was taking us out told my wife and I that his 2003 Mastercraft (with the prop under the hull) was near impossible to backup as there was no steering control and that we should avoid that type of drive. Is this true? Honestly, this does not really make and sense to me. Also, watching him try to reverse and mover around confused me as he seemed to WAY over complicate it but I did not want to comment as I do t really know him that well.

3. What drive would you recommend so I can walk in both worlds so to speak?

Thanks for the help so far, I am sure I will have plenty more questions to come!!!
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-07-2017, 7:26 PM Reply   
Inboard is the only boat you will get good wake surfing from, they are designed to create a surf wave and also have the correct HULL (big part of surfing)....some Direct drive boats you can ballast and use suck gate and make them work...but none are gonna be great cuase they are not designed for surfing, the hull is designed mostly for skiing which is the opposite of what you want (which is a wake).
No, jet boat wont do it (big reason is no where to add ballast...no ballast = no surfing) Displacement/ballast = surf wave with correct hull (deeper V hulls are the best). Sounds like the guy taking your wife surfing just has no idea how to drive an inboard....are they different and more difficult to maneuver when reversing, yes... its cause there is not "prop wash" going over the rudder due to the way they are designed. But with a little practice you can maneuver an inboard boat just as easy as an I/O. I owned MANY I/O boats before moving to an inboard. There is a learning curve, but its not that hard with a little practice.
I will say this, if you have had I/O....get ready for sticker shock when you see the price of inboard surf boats. Just to get in the game on 2004 entry level = $30k. New "budget boats" = $80k plus....New surf boat in the upper brands start at $100k stripped down and go too $200k.
Good luck in your search....no other watersport is as fun IMO, hope you find one
Old     (Grizz)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-07-2017, 8:37 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice, that all pretty much confirms what I was thinking.

As for reversing, I just could not wrap my head around how difficult he made it look and described it. To me, he WAY over complicated it but I thought I would confirm as I don't know a lot about those drives.

I agree, the pricing seems out of control for a toy you only get to use a few months a year. Is there any brand you would recommend/stay away from? At our lake the boats seem to be 90% Master-craft with Malibu/Moomba next followed by Supra.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       07-08-2017, 2:53 PM Reply   
It's true that first time driving an inboard the reverse is pretty difficult haha.. but its easy learned after few ride.

For jet boats, yes you can wakeboard behind one, it's not "built" for that but it's possible.
I owned a seadoo jet boat back in 2005 and learned wakeboard with it. I had a fatsac 750lbs that's the only way to have a "decent" wave.
A neighbor on the lake have a brand new heyday. Think he paid it like 40K or something and he look to have a lot of fun with his 2 kids.
Jet boat are good for young kids you can do almost everything with that and it's really budget friendly. Yes of course it's kind of cheap and it's definitely not a inboard but when you don't want to spend 80k for a summer toy like you say it can be an option.
But surfing forget about it, no ballast no wave and the propeller has a huge role too.

For brand recommendation in tow boat.. mostly are good just depends on your needs and preference.
Like you said malibu's and Moomba mostly runs the wakeboard market.. Moomba's because they are VERY price friendly and good quality. Perfect first tow boat.
Malibu's because it's an establish brand makes really good boat and they are flashy exactly like mastercraft.
But you have plenty other brand that are as good even better.
Just depends on what you looking for. Good luck!
Old     (moombahighrider)      Join Date: Aug 2010       07-08-2017, 9:49 PM Reply   
Take a good hard look at moomba boats. Yes, they are known as 'economy', but I'm on my second one and stayed in the family when looking to upgrade (because of build quality, reliability, and flat out quality surf wave). Hard to beat, imo. Check out the moomba forum for more informative info.
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       07-09-2017, 1:23 PM Reply   
I'd second the suggestion to look at Moomba. I'd also add MB, Axis and Sanger to that list. We have an MB and absolutely love it. All make very good boats that are at the relatively inexpensive end of the spectrum. The key word is "relatively", though, as it is hard to call anything that cost $65K - $90K+ "inexpensive". Honestly, a few years used is probably the sweet spot for value for any brand.

Regarding jet boats, I had a Yamaha 210 for several years. Great all around boat and mine was 100% reliable and free of any issues of any sort. They can be used for wakeboarding and even wakesurfing (with appropriate modifications - aftermarket ballast, jet wash diverting devices, perfect pass), but IMO they don't approach the wakesport performance of any dedicated watersports boat. They also cost about 50 - 65% of what a new v-drive costs.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       07-09-2017, 3:57 PM Reply   
MB build is top notch and price is in the "economy" class. Really nothing compares in the lower price tier. Quality components, no fancy bling electronics to act up.
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-09-2017, 5:47 PM Reply   
Axis interior is the least attractive and the Sanger is a far from catching the game of surfing. Moomba is not bad but MB takes the cake!
Old     (Grizz)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-09-2017, 11:10 PM Reply   
What about a 2008 Malibu Wakesetter? I am looking at one right now online, yet to see it or speak to the owner though but It's offered at 22,500 with a custom cover, trim matched tower, board rack and 4 speakers based on the pics I've seen. It's listed as "very good condition, near new" but it does not list anything else. Does anyone know what they basically came with from the factory......options such as a perfect pass, how may ballast tanks, engine type and HP etc???

Cheers!!!

Last edited by Grizz; 07-09-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       07-10-2017, 6:11 AM Reply   
That's a scam. No way that boat is being sold for that low.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-10-2017, 8:23 PM Reply   
Scam...I have heard of that boat in a couple threads. Call them....boat will be "in storage" that for a deposit can be "released" or some other similar story line. Nigerian BS...
Old     (Grizz)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-10-2017, 8:43 PM Reply   
That really sucks.....even thought for me it would have ended with the storage BS, I was getting excited about the possibility.......
Old     (Grizz)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-15-2017, 7:50 PM Reply   
How about this one??? It's a 2007 Mastercraft X-15. It's from a "non boat only" dealer but it's been recently inspected from tip to tail by a boat dealer nearby.....I believe they were a Malibu dealer but I could be wrong.

They are currently asking 44,9. I'm not sure what options it has yet as I am on night shift and have not spoken to them. From the one pic however, I don't think it has a perfect pass system. They did say it's has......

286 hours on a Chevy Vortec 350 engine
3 inboard ballast tanks
Cruise control
"Premium stereo, Sub, tower, racks etc

Sorry for all the pics but......

Last edited by Grizz; 07-15-2017 at 7:55 PM.
Old     (Grizz)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-16-2017, 11:08 AM Reply   
Anyone?
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       07-16-2017, 11:44 AM Reply   
X15s are really nice boats. I see them getting recommend often. I don't know anything about them but a quick search will get you lots of info.

Pics look really good to me.
Old     (Grizz)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-16-2017, 10:19 PM Reply   
Thanks for the reply....I'm going to look at it on Wednesday. Any advice on what I should be looking for?

I was told that the rear deck was re-upholstered as the "travel tarp" discoloured the original tanning deck.

Outside of that they said the condition is a 9 out of 10 with only 1 minor scratch that was 6 inches long on the drivers side but barely visible. He also said it's always been a freshwater boat and the engine and transmission checked out perfect. There was one engine code they said was nothing and was cleared. They then ran the boat in their float tank for three hours and it did not return.
Old     (Grizz)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-18-2017, 5:25 PM Reply   
Going to see the X15 tomorrow, any advice on what to watch out for????
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       07-19-2017, 9:05 AM Reply   
Take an extensive test drive . The engine will not go through all of its diagnostic tests in a float tank it needs to be run as if it would be out for a weekend of fun .
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-19-2017, 9:12 AM Reply   
carpets missing on that x15.

add Sanger to your search. solid boats, love my v230. not sure how far west you are, but dealer in Seattle

Last edited by denverd1; 07-19-2017 at 9:20 AM.
Old     (Grizz)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-19-2017, 1:05 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies......after seeing the boat, here is what I found

- 286 hours on the motor. Chev Vortec (I think 350 HP)

- One smaller cracked area in gel coat - pictured below

- drivers side heated seat does not work

- engine and transmission inspected by a nearby Malibu dealer and passed. Seller offered me the option of having it re-inspected at a dealer if my choice.

- 6 inch scratch on drivers side - pictured below

- New-er prop, replaced last year.

- 2 racks, one for wakeboard sand one for skis/surf boards

- Cruise control only - not sure how that compares to a "perfect pass" system

- Satellite Radio/CD only - no Bluetooth

- Some minor staining/sun fading on some of the upholstery

Outside of that, for a 10 year old boat is looks really good. The few questions I have are..

1. Is the cracked gel coat and issue?

2. Is it possible to add Bluetooth to the factory system without replacing the head unit?

3. What is the gage pictured below??

What does everyone think????

Old     (Grizz)      Join Date: Jul 2017       07-19-2017, 2:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
carpets missing on that x15.

Sorry, the carpet is there, he had just removed it for cleaning. We've looked a Sanger but in our area, they are all 60-70 for the same year