Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakemaker1)      Join Date: Aug 2010       01-26-2014, 3:36 PM Reply   
Looking at the 2014 supra line and i think they are the best looking boats out there ! My question is how is there build quality ???
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-26-2014, 3:47 PM Reply   
excellent…. buy it. use it. love it. and then post pictures.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-26-2014, 3:48 PM Reply   
Good
Old     (wakemaker1)      Join Date: Aug 2010       01-26-2014, 3:53 PM Reply   
All the supras i have looked at seem to have great vinyl and the overall build seems great ! Why are thay not considered in the big 3 ?? They look miles ahead of malibu imo !
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-26-2014, 4:04 PM Reply   
because as far as the history of tournament boats they probably weren't at the same level as the "big 3". That said "the big 3" is kind of stupid now. Pretty much all the boats are built well and nice.

In my opinion Supra and Malibu appear to pretty similar in build style/quality. I think they have some similar styling ques as well although Supra's seem to be a little edgier right now. It probably isn't a huge surprise that they have some similarities though. i think there are more than a few people with skier's choice now that used to be with Malibu.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-26-2014, 4:20 PM Reply   
Miles ahead of a Malibu? To me, they look more like a Malibu than any other boat. Pretty much a Malibu with a nautique tower. Which makes sense, considering most of their design team came from Malibu.

I think Supras are a great boat, and I took a look at them when I was shopping this year. The thing that kept me out of a Supra was the price. The SA was in the price range of the 23LSV and X30.

Not to say the other two are any better/worse, but I feel that Supra is still in the league where they should come with a price advantage, even if it was only 5 or 10k on a 100k boat.
Old     (cgilliland)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-26-2014, 4:56 PM Reply   
My opinion is obvious since I bought an SA. I think Supra has always been solid but took a step forward with SA and SC. They should be mentioned alongside the big three. I had the opposite experience on price. My experience was that a Supra has more standard options, which made it a good value against a similarMalibu.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-26-2014, 5:48 PM Reply   
There's no question that I would be in a new SA if I were to go buy the boat of my choice right now. Hands down the best looking boat on the water inside and out and they handle amazingly. Awesome wakeboard wake and a ton of standard features at a price that is competitive with the competition.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-27-2014, 7:56 AM Reply   
I just ordered a new Supra SC. Should have it next month. I have had several Supra's and there is no question the new Supra's are every bit as nice as a Malibu. Many would say nicer now, but that is in the eye of the beholder. I agree in the past it was a really nice boat with lots of options and you got it for $10K less than a Malibu. I kind of get the feeling that is not the goal anymore. I think they want to be a premium boat at a similar cost to the "big 3". There is no question they are doing it as well. I have always been a Supra supporter and fan, but like to think I did not have the owner goggles. I really respect and respected all the brands and really consider each one, when I get a new boat. I realized the older Supra (in years past) might not have been quite as plush as a Malibu and Mastercraft, but it was loaded with more features, a good build, a great wake, and cost quite a bit less. That was my sweet spot. A sweet boat for less money. The new direction seems to be high quality, great wake and surf, very plush and loaded with options. Of course this is going to cost more. Over time we will see if there price increase will hold in the market place, but there is no question it is every bit as nice as "the big 3" in 2014. From what I have seen they have built a great dealer network too and that is important, so make sure you have a good dealer close by and start building a relationship with them. That would speak volumes to me. I will tell you, I spent more money on my new boat than I ever imagined spending, but I also see the value compared to the others out there. Don't get me wrong, I think the prices on all these boats are nuts, but when you compare features, quality, etc. Supra deserves to be right up against the others now.

I really don't see the resemblance to Malibu that Eric stated above. Maybe the SA looks a bit like an MXZ from a profile picture, but once you get up close, I don't think they are that similar at all. Interior is different and exterior contour is totally different. That is just me though maybe cause I have been in and around both. Not sure the other poster has. That would be the only similarity and if that was your point, I would give you that. The SC is nothing like a Malibu or any other boat out there. The 242 is not like any other boats in the Malibu line either. So not real sure if that comparison that Eric made was just the SA or what?

Another note: The "big 3" has not really been the big 3 for some time. I believe roughly 5 years ago Skiers Choice as a whole (Supra and Moomba) took the number 3 spot behind Malibu and Mastercraft. I am not sure if this is till the case, but I assume it is safe to say it is. I know "big 3" is more of just a generalization, but just for those that were not aware.
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-27-2014, 8:09 AM Reply   
You really think supra and moomba are ahead of Nautique???
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-27-2014, 8:22 AM Reply   
Diggs- It is mostly the styling "cues" that I am referring to. (General Gel pattern types, Lounge area shape and layout, guage layout, carpeted seat bases, and just like the general feel and design of things like the grab handles, vinyl texture, seat patterns, etc......)

I don't know...... Maybe it is just me??? When I am in a Supra, I feel like I am in a Malibu, which is certainly not a bad thing, Right?? Whereas a MasterCraft or Nautique, has a completely different feel, look, shape, etc, than any other brand. No better, but completely different.

I certainly wasn't saying there is anything wrong with it. But a lot of Skiers Choice design team is Malibu oriented, and I seem to feel that in the newer Supras. Maybe I only feel that because I know a lot of Malibus old staff is now with SC. It might be a psychological thing for me.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-27-2014, 8:22 AM Reply   
I don't believe you are quantifying "ahead" the same way that Diggs is. I believe Diggs is referring to sales numbers. Whether you personally think a Nautique is better than a Skiers Choice boat means objectively nothing.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-27-2014, 8:24 AM Reply   
I think he meant from a sales numbers stand point. How do we define the big "3"?? Are we talking number of units sold? Companies value or yearly financial statements?? Or are we talking something far more quantifiable, like opinions of quality and fit and finish? What standard is used to define Mastercraft, Nautique, and Malibu as the big 3? Like Ford claims the F series is the best selling truck in America, they are basing that on Units sold. So what is the Criteria?

I think some people might be surprised how the units sold numbers break down.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-27-2014, 8:30 AM Reply   
Aric Brabec and RB- Yes I am only say "the big 3" in sales numbers. After all, that is where the term came from. Malibu, Mastercraft and Nautique kind of jockeyed those positions for years. Not saying one is better than the other at all. Sorry about any confusion.

Eric - Yes I see what you are saying now when you put it like that and I tend to agree with you. Maybe that is why Malibu and Supra have always been much more appealing to me than Mastercraft and Nautique...
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-27-2014, 8:42 AM Reply   
I am coming from a Malibu going to a Supra and what made us change brands was the features we got and the price. Before we decided on the SA, I spent time in the MXZ and the SA sitting side by side. Both brands are great there are some things that I like more about the Malibu's then the SA's and vice versa. What really sold us on the SA over the MXZ was the dash lay out really like having both options for switches and gauges.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-27-2014, 11:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
Eric - Yes I see what you are saying now when you put it like that and I tend to agree with you. Maybe that is why Malibu and Supra have always been much more appealing to me than Mastercraft and Nautique...
That makes sense for sure. They definitely have a different feel from each other. I have the same reasoning for preferring MC in the past. I just liked that particular feel. I have owned a Malibu and loved it, but just felt better in the MCs at the time.

I am shopping again, and actually going to check out the new 14 Supras this afternoon. I will see how I feel about them this year. I have narrowed my search to the SA, 23LSV, and the X30. I gotta run through them again before I decide. The LSV is last in the running right now, mostly because it is 12k more than the other 2. Which I think is mostly on the dealer..... With similar discount percentages, it would be about the same price as the other 2.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-27-2014, 11:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
That makes sense for sure. They definitely have a different feel from each other. I have the same reasoning for preferring MC in the past. I just liked that particular feel. I have owned a Malibu and loved it, but just felt better in the MCs at the time.

I am shopping again, and actually going to check out the new 14 Supras this afternoon. I will see how I feel about them this year. I have narrowed my search to the SA, 23LSV, and the X30. I gotta run through them again before I decide. The LSV is last in the running right now, mostly because it is 12k more than the other 2. Which I think is mostly on the dealer..... With similar discount percentages, it would be about the same price as the other 2.
Make sure you test drive the SA before you make your decision, the handling sells it just as well as the ultra clean wake!
Old     (Supravol22)      Join Date: Jul 2013       01-27-2014, 12:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
Make sure you test drive the SA before you make your decision, the handling sells it just as well as the ultra clean wake!

^ Truth
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-27-2014, 12:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
I drove one already in October. To be honest, I didn't feel that it handled better than the other 2. I certainly had no complaints about the handling though. The LSV seemed to handle the best to me. But the SA and X30 had a smoother ride.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-27-2014, 1:24 PM Reply   
Do you guys actually bring extra bags and load these boats with ballast when testing them? Because to me how one handled would make pretty much zero diff to me. I mean if it took 2 days to get on plane or scooped up tons of water coming off plane that would be important. But handling would be way behind, build, wake shape, ergonomics and cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-27-2014, 2:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
Do you guys actually bring extra bags and load these boats with ballast when testing them? Because to me how one handled would make pretty much zero diff to me. I mean if it took 2 days to get on plane or scooped up tons of water coming off plane that would be important. But handling would be way behind, build, wake shape, ergonomics and cost.

I suppose it depends what type of lake you live on. On our lake, there are certain coves that require a pretty sharp turnaround, and if we're loaded with 4000 pounds there are very few boats that can actually make them without just dropping the rider and coasting around at slow speeds. The SA handles about the same loaded or empty, which is confidence inspiring in those situations.
Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       02-06-2014, 2:39 PM Reply   
Well I can tell you they don't stand behind their product. My buddy bought a 2013 supra 22v launch I think. $80k range on close out. Found out the hull had 3 foot voids on each side of it. Supra now won't even return his phone calls or respond to his emails. The dealer basically told him today that he doesn't want to have any thing to do with it and needs to take it up with supra directly.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-06-2014, 3:34 PM Reply   
So your buddy just bought a close out 2013 Supra 22V Launch. I'm assuming it was recently as you said it was a close out and dealers are just now closing out 2013's. I am also assuming he has used it little to none as it must have been purchased this winter. So he has discovered it has 3 foot voids(void is another term for HOLE) on each side of the hull?? Now on this brand new boat, that must have full warranty as its a 2013 and he just bought it, the dealer has told him to go away and refuses to help in anyway. Next Supra is telling him to pack sand and refusing to talk to him? Do I have it about right? How did he miss the 3 foot holes in the side of the hull at time of purchase?

I am not a supra guy and have no dog in the fight, but this just sounds like garbage to me. I have personally talked with a number of people from Supra over the years shopping boats. They are a standup outfit from my experience. This doesn't sound like the way they do business at all. If nothing else tell him to get on here and PM Rick Tinker who is the CEO/ President of Supra. He posts on here and I know they watch the threads. Tell him to call the factory, I am sure someone will answer the phone. I am sure there are some on here who can offer other Points of Contact at the factory.

I'm not 100% certain, but I am pretty sure they didn't even make a Launch 22V in 2013!!
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       02-06-2014, 3:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoShack View Post
Well I can tell you they don't stand behind their product. My buddy bought a 2013 supra 22v launch I think. $80k range on close out. Found out the hull had 3 foot voids on each side of it. Supra now won't even return his phone calls or respond to his emails. The dealer basically told him today that he doesn't want to have any thing to do with it and needs to take it up with supra directly.
Wow stinks hear your buddy isn't having a good experience. But I would caution you to bash a company as a whole based on your buddies experience. I guess I would start with what is he getting no dealer support ? Seems like that is where my frustration would start , they should be his biggest advocate for getting his problems handled. My experience has been the exact opposite with my Supra . The quality of the boat is absolutely top notch and have had two warranty issues that where handled very quickly by Active water sports working with Skiers Choice . I don't have much experience with the Supra line pre SA and SC but these boats are awesome and once you drive them you will see the differences from some of the other lines.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-06-2014, 4:08 PM Reply   
Pics or it didn't happen.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-06-2014, 5:23 PM Reply   
Who buys a boat with holes in it? Was that a selling point for a quick fill ballast or something? Bet that boat gets slammed really quickly!
Old     (Alleykat)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-06-2014, 5:25 PM Reply   
Why should you buy a Supra??? " Cause Stone Cold say's so!" That's why.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       02-06-2014, 5:38 PM Reply   
I recently checked out a sa350 at the Greensboro boat show and was extremely impressed. Really looked well put together and everything seemed great quality. I liked the fact that u have both switches and screen info and controls. The only thing I didn't like was the accordion boot around the bottom of the seat. Other than that I liked the boat a lot overall.
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       02-06-2014, 5:46 PM Reply   
Curtis Hunter,

I will look into this matter, asap. Your friend can contact me at rtinker@skierschoice.com. I look forward to hearing from him and getting to the bottom of this situation.

Rick Tinker
Old     (TomMcCauley)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-06-2014, 6:09 PM Reply   
I am part of Supra's promo team, and my son is a Supra rider, so you have a right to say I'm biased. However I will still answer your question and you can believe me or say I'm just towing the company line.

This past year we rode the 2013 Supra SA450. This boat represents in my opinion a statement from Supra that they were bringing their boats to a new level. For me, the most notable accolades for the SA goes to the handling. Even loaded down as we do with 4500# the boat turns on a time, zero cavitation, and handles not just well, but exceptionally well. The 2014 SC should match everything on this (I haven't personally driven it) because the running surface is identical to the SA.

The wake is long and clean and, importantly, clean down to speeds as low as 17-19mph. This is huge because most people are not pro wakeboarders and many will have at least some new riders. Having said that, the wake and "regular" wake speeds is super clean, big, and consistent. It is not as "lippy" as previous Launch models, but has a longer ramp. Preferred in my opinion. My son got used to the rampy wake of the Launch when we were on that, but is was quite different that most boats so, in my opinion, the transition from a Launch to another wake boat was more difficult. Not true for the more rampy wake of the SA. Of course it can be customized with the smart plate as desired.

I love our interior, vinyl, computerized dash. I especially love two things: 1) heated drivers seat...so awesome here in the Midwest; and 2) I opted for the snap out Chilwitch liner vs. the snap out carpet. I'm not a carpet guy and the line was awesome.

We toured the factory a few weeks ago. Lots I could say but I will just say this one thing. Every single Supra goes through 3 different QC checks to identify issues, and every single Supra is inspected by a select group of management (I believe there are only 5 that can do this) before it is released to leave the factory. They are serious about making sure the boats that go out go out right.

On a side note, you will notice that Supra's president, Rick Tinker, often monitors boards, comments (even in the face of critique) and participates in discussions. I think this says something about how serious he, in particular, is about keeping his pulse on what the community is saying.

Hope this helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemaker1 View Post
Looking at the 2014 supra line and i think they are the best looking boats out there ! My question is how is there build quality ???
Old     (TomMcCauley)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-06-2014, 6:14 PM Reply   
Agree handling is behind the others. We ride the SA450 with 4500# ballast and don't have an issue planing. Have heard of a new prop they are using that is even better. And the shape of the wake is really really sweet. Really clean, consistent, and doesn't curl over. Having said that, handling is really extraordinary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post

Old     (TomMcCauley)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-06-2014, 6:18 PM Reply   
Ironically I responded to this message before reading the entire thread (go ahead throw stuff). I laughed when I saw the post just before mine was Rick's. Case in point.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-06-2014, 7:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickt View Post
Curtis Hunter,

I will look into this matter, asap. Your friend can contact me at rtinker@skierschoice.com. I look forward to hearing from him and getting to the bottom of this situation.

Rick Tinker
This is one really good reason why you should buy Supra.
Old     (chillaxin)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-06-2014, 9:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Curtis Hunter,

Rick Tinker
Big props to Rick and SC. I'm betting a paycheck he doesn't get an email.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-06-2014, 9:54 PM Reply   
I own a SAN, bought new in 2003, but years on this forum(&others), I continue to be impressed with Mr. Tinkers involvement on the message boards. I have no plans to replace the best towboat ever built(make an argument for the 205V & I'll listen), but if I caved to more room, guarantee Supra would be on the list. (They would have to sell me out of market)
Old     (Dizzyfoot60)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-06-2014, 10:32 PM Reply   
My name is Brandon and just started looking at supra hull defects on the Internet and low and behold came across a blog that was talking about me and my boat.......
Ironic. Swear had no idea Curtis put this on here and said what he did. And yes he is a friend and knows the story as well. He was there with me when i bought my boat and there when skiers choice did all the test in lake and out of lake, and all the mesaurments to the boat, he has been on the boat about 15 times and knows what the boat is doing and how dangerous it is. Curtis can testify as a witness to all the accounts and and accusations that I am about to discuss so yall, and dont think im some angry cunsumer who did not get somthing for free and now going to bash the company. What i am is a middle class married with 3 kids family man just trying to get by in this very, over expensive industry. Someone who always vouches for a company that takes care of there cunsumers and stands behind there products. A person who does not mind telling people yes, you should buy from them or no you should not based on facts not oppinion.Goes to show you what Internet can do. So I joined this sight, along with many of others is where I will be telling my story from the beginning of last August 2013 when I bought my yes (2013 launch 22v) from a Texas
Dealer and where the boat ended up, what was done, what was not done, and will be done in the future for my experience with supra and many people who work for skiers choice. I have been dealing with many many issues with my boat from day one and now it's time to tell the truth about the boat manufacture skiers choice and what and who is involved. Rick, mention my name as soon as you want and you will soon find out that I am not a liar, bashing, attacking, or looking to devalue the supra or skiers choice name but am ready to tell the truth about what I know about some of the models of boats and why they are discontinued and what facts I have been going through for 9 months now with everyone shrugging the shoulders, not answering emails, phone calls, or returning them. I have given the company 9 months to resolve the issue with my boat and enough is enough. Curtis is not making this up and I promise the story will start from day 1 and give all the story and explanation of my experience with supra boats and skiers choice. Once again this is my story and no one else's, they are not opinions but facts of my story. Boat dealership names, company owners, employee names, or supra and skiers choice employee names will not or ever be used so don't even ask. Got your attention? Bet I do.....
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-07-2014, 5:01 AM Reply   
:opcorn::
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-07-2014, 5:02 AM Reply   
Tuned in. This could be an EPIC thread.

Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-07-2014, 5:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Curtis Hunter,

Rick Tinker
So, after all that, have you tried utilizing this resource yet? Not saying you shouldn't post about your experience, but I seriously hope you have emailed Rick already. Then its on him to take the next step...... And by the sounds of it, he will.
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       02-07-2014, 5:52 AM Reply   
Brandon,

I will definitely do some more research and see what is going on. I am traveling today to a boat show but will get with you on Monday, Please drop me a note via email, if you dont mind, so that I have a more direct line of communication. Our customer service manager emailed me some notes last night regarding your situation and I would be glad to discuss those with you and make sure we are all on the same page.

Again my apologies for any confusion that may exist and we look forward to resolving this situation.

Rick
Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       02-07-2014, 6:13 AM Reply   
@chillaxn. I'll take that pay check you bet. I'm sure Brandon has sent that email.
Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       02-07-2014, 6:19 AM Reply   
What's funny to me is Brandon has been dealing with this for 9 months and nothing has been done. I make one post on public forum that they apparently are trolling and now some one named Rick wants to get involved. Where has he been the last 9 months. Traveling I bet. Boat shows. And it's funny that he post the please email me in the public forum when he could pm me. Looks like he is probably in public relations.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-07-2014, 6:22 AM Reply   
Hahahaha you mean rick as in the owner?...yes, the OWNER.

Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-07-2014, 6:25 AM Reply   
Also, we're waiting on this story patiently.

Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       02-07-2014, 6:42 AM Reply   
Well glad to hear that the owner is this well connected.
Old     (chillaxin)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-07-2014, 6:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
@chillaxn. I'll take that pay check you bet. I'm sure Brandon has sent that email.
If it's posted on the internet then it must have happened, right? Hopefully your buddy gets it figured out but IMHO something smells fishy. Patiently waiting for the WHOLE story as Brandon so STRONGLY said is TRUE. Yet gave absolutely no details about the issues????
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       02-07-2014, 6:45 AM Reply   
details details details, what is the reasoning for the long intro with no plot? help others with knowledge they may need to know before they spend their hard earned money as well. most of us are middle class and don't have 80k-125k to blow or p!ss away and not be fazed. give us the scoop
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-07-2014, 6:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Well glad to hear that the owner is this well connected.

Of course he is connected. It's wakeworld. The largest wake site on the internet. Supra sells wake boats. Of course "some guy named rick" would frequent this site. Skiers choice is not a small company. So I could see where it could take some time to get up the chain to rick. I have seen him post on here personally many times to give info/help customers. Try getting that out of malibu/nautique/MC.

Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       02-07-2014, 7:03 AM Reply   
nine months before any involvement from top of the ladder though???? are we all to believe that this is the first that has been heard of this man's claims with his boat? surely seems if so that several underneath rick are incompetent are at the very least not properly doing their jobs in relaying and getting necessary people involved. based on the intro I already know their has to be something serious going on and im willing to bet rick will now get this man into another boat to keep his information quiet and away from the public. got be a public relations and internet nightmare for supra. I still say I was impressed with the sa350 I saw at Greensboro boat show but this info could be extremely important to prospective buyers
Old     (TomMcCauley)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-07-2014, 7:04 AM Reply   
Way (way) back to the original reason for the thread...why should you buy a Supra? Because the owner takes time out of his day to read message boards and address customer concerns, even in the face of someone being highly critical of his company. I literally never read these boards. Only came on yesterday to check of if there was discussion of the change in format of the Pro Tour. Saw the post and created an account so I could add my 2 cents (on a topic that doesn't seem to be the greater concern anymore ) and was again impressed to see Rick's involvement. Don't know anything about the situation, but I'm sure Rick will address it appropriately. He's a stand up guy and does what is right.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       02-07-2014, 7:18 AM Reply   
what he does or doesn't do remains to be seen. what is apparent is that this supra owner sounds pretty legit and seems to be a gigantic storm for supra waiting to happen. hope they do the right thing and get him squared away and hope all involved come to a resolution they can live with. I think the owner is reluctant to play his last hand in the game until he gives the owner/ceo one last chance to take care of him. if rick does then we will probably never hear the true story and details on what really went down. what is a safe bet to me is that he has been failed by his dealer and the first few tiers of supra customer service. again my question is why nine months and why is rick just now hearing about this. im sorry but I don't believe this is the very first time hes heard about this if the problem is as serious as the post sounds. It shouldn't take the fear of public information leaked to get the boat owner service and adequate care. If we don't ever hear the details and rick does help out the buyer then his next step should be to go down his chain of command and determine why so many failed for so long to take care of the customer and why he was never informed about it, that is IF this is truly his first knowledge of the claims
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-07-2014, 7:30 AM Reply   
Giant storm? 1 bad boat. Lets remember these are handmade custom products. Not assembly line robot assembled mass produced cars. We don't even know the story. Why would the owner know about warranty issues on a single boat? Supra makes 100's if not 100's of boats a year. They have 1000's of warranty claims a year. You think the owner knows about every one? How could he? You think the CEO of Malibu knows about warranty claims..nope. Someone has a job to handle that. At Supra someone is in charge of that and it isn't the company President, I'm betting

I feel for the guy, but lets hear the story before we throw all the blame on Supra. I had a lemon boat about 10 years ago and fought and fought with the company. But I can tell you looking back that my expectations were unrealistic. I wanted them to replace my boat and nots just not something that is done. Maybe that is the case here, I don't know. If its gotten to the point that the dealer has stepped out then I am guessing expectations are a problem. I've never heard a Supra dealer say that Supra hung them out to dry or left them hanging. My guess is this gentleman wants a new boat or wants all his money back which isn't a realistic expectation. I would like to hear the story before I pass judgement on either party. But having been to this party I am feeling something doesn't add up.

So Brandon lets hear it…..
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-07-2014, 7:40 AM Reply   
Al Gore's interwebs are awesome.

I think it is pretty cool that Rick posts on here from time to time. His son(at least I think it is his son) Drew posts as well. I don't know of any other owners or C level execs from boat companies that have posted on wakeworld.

Back to the topic. I don't know from personal experience but from everything I have heard and seen(at boat shows) is that the SA and SC are legit boats. They seem to come with all the fancy stuff included in the price and have some great features. From what everybody has posted on hear the wake performance and driving characteristics are great. The one thing I have noticed from various posts that sticks out to me about the SA(the SC is too new but should be similar) is that the 350hp 5.7L is plenty of motor even with full plug and play ballast and a good sized crew. I am sure some is the weight distribution and hull design but also partly because of the smart plate. Most boats in this size/weight range seem to need at minimum the 400hp to perform decent.
Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       02-07-2014, 7:42 AM Reply   
Mike you hit it on the head.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-07-2014, 7:44 AM Reply   
Ive owned 4 skiers choice boats and can say they DO stand behind their products. Ive never had an issue with haveing a warranty issue taken care of. Ill continue to buy them as they KICK ASS here for service work and the dealer is great, has a great reputation, and takes care of the customers. Id buy it
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       02-07-2014, 8:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHern5972 View Post
Ive owned 4 skiers choice boats and can say they DO stand behind their products. Ive never had an issue with haveing a warranty issue taken care of. Ill continue to buy them as they KICK ASS here for service work and the dealer is great, has a great reputation, and takes care of the customers. Id buy it
X2. My family has owned 5 Skiers Choice boats, and when it comes to fixing warranty issues our dealer and Skiers Choice have been quick and swift in getting us whatever service we need. Judging by this dudes post, he either has extremely unrealistic expectations or he's just out to bash Supra. SC is not the type of company that leaves someone having issues with their product hanging
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-07-2014, 8:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
X2. My family has owned 5 Skiers Choice boats, and when it comes to fixing warranty issues our dealer and Skiers Choice have been quick and swift in getting us whatever service we need. Judging by this dudes post, he either has extremely unrealistic expectations or he's just out to bash Supra. SC is not the type of company that leaves someone having issues with their product hanging

Or maybe a change of attitude would have gotten him further. Example, simply taking the time to email rick first and not make a huge rant. I have a feeling the poster and his friend have had this attitude all along which will get you nowhere.

Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-07-2014, 8:23 AM Reply   
Why you should buy a Supra? Because they didn't cut the Women, Jr Men, and even the Ams out of their events!!!!!

MasterCraft Pro Wakeboard Tour to Focus Exclusively on Men’s Pro Division in 2014

Orlando, FL. — The MasterCraft Pro Wakeboard Tour, the largest and most storied professional wakeboarding circuit in the world, has redesigned its format for the 2014 season and will feature only the Pro Men’s division at all four events. With an exclusive focus on the sport’s premier division, along with a restructured contest heat advancement system and athlete qualifying standards, the MasterCraft Pro Tour has laid the groundwork to produce the most competitive and entertaining wakeboard events on the planet.

Additionally, athlete eligibility for the MasterCraft Pro Wakeboard Tour has been adjusted to ensure a dynamic and competitive field of riders at each event. The 2014 Tour will feature a collection of the world’s top ranked Pro Men wakeboarders, intriguing wildcards entries and several up-and-coming athletes from the Junior Pro Series going head-to-head at four of the country’s most proven contest venues.

“During the offseason we met with some of the most respected minds and most talented athletes in wakeboarding to develop a strategy that ensures world-class competition and progression are paramount on the MasterCraft Pro Wakeboard Tour,” said Chris Bischoff, Pro Tour competition director. “The format changes achieve these objectives and will also bring exciting new storylines from contest to contest.”

Contest structure on the Pro Tour will remain a heat-to-heat qualifying system with riders seeding determined by their ranking. However, new rules will reward riders who win heats one and three allowing them to bypass the next round. Riders who do not win in heats one and three will not be automatically eliminated. They will be placed in rounds two and four and have a second chance to advance in those heats.

Last year’s wakeboard world champion, Rusty Malinoski has been vocal in support of the new Pro Tour format. The “Bone Crusher” recently stated, “Wakeboarding has seen a ton of progression over the past few years. I think the new format tweaks will help our sport showcase the best riders at the biggest contests and give the fans the most bang for their buck.”

The 2014 MasterCraft Pro Wakeboard Tour presented by Rockstar Schedule:

Location Venue Dates

Acworth, GA. Dallas Landing/Lake Allatoona May 17

Lathrop, CA. Mossdale Quarry Lakes June 28

Monroe, WA. Lake Tye July 12

Grand Rapids, MI Millennium Park Aug. 16

For more information on the MasterCraft Pro Wakeboard Tour presented by Rockstar visit KingofWake.com.
The MasterCraft Pro Wakeboard Tour presented by RockStar is organized by World Sports & Marketing of Orlando, Fla., and has the support of the following sponsors: MasterCraft, Rockstar Energy Drink, WWA, Indmar, Ronix, Billabong, Zeal Optics, CWB, Hyperlite, Liquid Force, Byerly, Peavey, Sayiwon’t, Epiphone and WAKEBOARDING magazine.
About MasterCraft
MasterCraft is the exclusive towboat for the Pro Wakeboard Tour, as it has been since the tour’s wakeboarding events began in 1992. For more information visit: www.MasterCraft.com
About Rockstar:

Rockstar Energy Drink is designed for those who lead active lifestyles – from Athletes to Rockstars. Available in over 20 flavors at convenience and grocery outlets in over 30 countries, Rockstar supports the Rockstar lifestyle across the globe through Action Sports, Motor Sports, and Live Music. For more information visit: www.RockstarEnergy.com
Find us at:
www.Facebook.com/Rockstar ~ www.Twitter.com/RockstarEnergy ~ www.Instagram.com/RockstarEnergy ~ www.YouTube.com/Rockstar

--
Bo Morris
PR Director, Bonnier Corporation
O: (407) 571-4587
M: (407) 808-3310
E: bo.morris@bonniercorp.com
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-07-2014, 9:09 AM Reply   
I have to chime in and say it is way early for people to be jumping on this. There is probably much more on both sides. I have a sneaking feeling (and I have no idea) that he bought a boat from a Supra dealer that is no longer a supra dealer and this is where his problems started. I know there was a big Supra dealer in TX that is no longer a Supra dealer. We will see, but I bet it has something to do with a dealer no longer being a dealer and that dealer not wanting to help out after they no longer carried the brand. The steps you would take for a claim could be difficult for the normal boat owner without the assistance of your dealer. It sure would piss me off also. Enough to get on a public forum and air my laundry. What I can tell you is I have had several Supra's and have worked with my dealer (awesome) on any issue I have had. I have had several supras and really never had any serious claim. Maybe popped stitch in the vinyl or similar, but no major issues. All of the manufacturers have small warranty claims. I can tell you I have gotten them handled quick, but I have a good dealer. All manufacturers can also can have 1 or 2 major issues I would bet. Trust me I have heard of major issues and seen them first hand on some of the "Big 3" boats. They can happen, but they get taken care of, hopefully. Look at the car biz. They have the same issues all the time and you don't hear about it. Of course no one wants to have it happen to them and nor does that manufacturer. Do manufacturers want this stuff aired on a public forum? Of course not. Would you with your business? It is how you take care of it. I have met Rick personally and chatted with him many times and I know that if I had an issue or any Supra owner had an issue he would make sure it was handled before he moved onto his next task. It is not really his job, but he wants to make it his and that is why he is on here. I still believe there is more to this story...........................

Do I want to hear more on this? hellll yeah..... My guess is if both parties are smart they would not be airing it all on a public forum. With litigation nowadays it could only harm either's situation and not help their cause. No reason to inflame either party or you really won't get anywhere.

In conclusion..... I have no knowledge of anything about this situation. If there really is an issue, I know Supra will take care of it cause they are awesome. I have worked with them a bunch and will continue to keep Supra at the top of my list every time I buy a new boat. Trust me, I compare with each manufacturer every time I buy and not only is the product great, but the service.

Last edited by tyler97217; 02-07-2014 at 9:12 AM.
Old     (MUNS)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-07-2014, 9:23 AM Reply   
Can you explain the 3 foot voids on each side and how you came to find out about them? What exactly do you mean, like a void in the foam?
And also, if you bought the boat in august how has it been 9 months that you have been dealing with this problem. I'm no mathematician but that only adds up to 6 months.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-07-2014, 9:31 AM Reply   
^^And thats if he bought early August and found the voids the day he bought it!!
Old     (chillaxin)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-07-2014, 12:11 PM Reply   
BINGO ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Brandon stated that he and Curtis have been out 15 times together. Who keeps using a boat that has "dangerous" issues???
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-07-2014, 12:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillaxin View Post
BINGO ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Brandon stated that he and Curtis have been out 15 times together. Who keeps using a boat that has "dangerous" issues???

Uh oh haha

Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-07-2014, 12:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
I have a sneaking feeling (and I have no idea) that he bought a boat from a Supra dealer that is no longer a supra dealer and this is where his problems started. I know there was a big Supra dealer in TX that is no longer a Supra dealer.

If the OP's time frame is correct from above this is not the case at all. Unless I am mistaken the dealer your referring to was out of the market in 2012 and not 2013 and all left over inventory went to the new dealer.

In my experience with Supra they have fixed everything on my boat with little issue. My service guy has been awesome and has never told me he had any issues with Supra to get something paid for. I have had quite of few issues with my boat here and there but all have been resolved.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-08-2014, 4:08 AM Reply   
Quote:

Ill agree 100%
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-08-2014, 8:57 AM Reply   
I also owned a Supra from 2009-2011, there customer service was excellent, I never had a problem with any warranty work on the boat. Overall the boat was solid, there product has improved 10 fold since my ownership, I also like how Rick Tinker visits this site and the Supra forum.
Old     (hp_inc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-08-2014, 10:46 AM Reply   
Its time to re-join the skiers choice family Travis. We miss you!
Old     (hp_inc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-08-2014, 11:02 AM Reply   
As a dealer who handles Skiers Choice on a daily basis, I have nothing but good things to say about them and how they handle their day to day activities and customer service. We deal with quite a few different manufacturers and it is hard to come up with one that is as customer oriented as Skiers Choice. While I feel bad for the guy that has had some troubles with his boat, some things are not quite adding up. I do not know many manufacturers ownership group that will come on a forum (including other brands that we carry) to help solve problems. I think that says alot about the company.

With that being said, as far as an answer to the OP question...I would buy a Supra for the following reasons:

They have a great balance of build quality, latest and greatest electronics, and price.
Their handling in my opinion is very hard to beat.
Their wakes can hang in there with some of the best.
Supra has the SWELL system.

Now before I get all the flaming for being a dealer on here, know that I have owned and ridden all of the big boys. These boats can hang with the best of them. They have improved 10 fold in the last few years. Go to your nearest show or dealer and check them out. You will not be disappointed. Again I know many of you will say I am biased due to carrying the brand, but trust me I have been doing this too long to say something that isn't accurate. If they were junk, I would tell you. Good luck in your search. Find something that works for you and get out on the water!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-08-2014, 11:30 AM Reply   
Everyone i know who owns a Supra has been happy with them. There is a Supra dealer at the lake i frequent and they sell plenty. So if there were service issues news would travel. News travels faster on the water as that's our leisure time being affected. Like many service issues i hear about,Most are expectation issues. Customers expectations are different than the servicing dealers expectations. Letting the customer know up front a realistic time table for resolving their issues is the best approach. Then follow up on the progress and notify the customer of any expected delays. That way the customer knows their business is valued or their complaint is being taken seriously and trying to be resolved in a timely manner.I doubt there's a realistic expectation on Brandon's part. That's not to say he doesn't have an issue,just what he expects to be the resolution most likely isn't realistic. I guess we will all find out "As Wakeworld Turns"………..
Old     (madcityskier)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-11-2014, 8:38 AM Reply   
They're a very nice boat, as are most dedicated watersports boats. The only thing I can say is my brother was a marine mechanic for years at a Moomba/Supra/Nautique dealer. He says to anyone who will listen to spend the same money on a well cared for 10-15 year old Nautique, MasterCraft or Malibu that you would on any other boat new and you will come out ahead in the long run. If you only plan to keep the boat for 10-15 years anyway, probably not much of an issue. We buy them to keep for life. We have boats in he family from 54,62,75,78,85 and 93. Take good care of a good boat and you'll be able to keep it. Others want to upgrade to the latest/greatest and trade off a perfectly good boat, understandable, and in that case it's hard to go wrong with any tournament style ski/board boat.
My opinion, I could be wrong.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       03-05-2014, 6:51 PM Reply   
So whatever happened with this defective supra or was it all just a bunch of crap to threaten supra so somebody could whine and try to get their way? Where's the stay tuned guy with legit info after putting supra on blast?
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-05-2014, 8:41 PM Reply   
Moomba had him killed
Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       03-06-2014, 6:09 AM Reply   
Option 1
They want take the boat cut the bottom half of the hull out and put a new bottom hull on it. They said it should take 5 months.
Option2
Trade boat in on different boat. Spend $10,000.00 to do so.
LMAO.

BTW
The reason he kept taking the boat out after realizing something was wrong was because the dealer told us to. They wanted him to try different ballast set ups.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-06-2014, 8:23 AM Reply   
So your saying the boat had holes in it(voids) and the dealer said keep using it so you can try differece ballast sets ups?? I suppose they said just run the bilge pump and it will be ok?

I'm curious about the spend $10K comment. Is this that the new boat costs 10K more or are you saying Supra is expecting you to take a 10K depreciation hit on a claimed defective boat?
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       03-06-2014, 9:07 AM Reply   
I thought you said the dealer told him to deal with Supra direct? Now they told you to go out 15 times and try different ballast knowing there were voids in the boat? From a liability stand point I find that incredibly hard to believe. Truthfully I find most of this situation incredibly hard to believe and while Rick Tinker doesn't need my praise, I have seen first hand how he takes care of Skiers Choice customers and it is above top notch. These guys travel more days out of the year than they are home, talk to more customers than they probably do their own family, and he has still taken the time to reach out to this customer to resolve the issue while traveling to a boat show (as stated in an earlier post). There's a reflection right there of Skiers Choice. No biased opinion here either, I don't have a supra, nor do I sell them.
Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       03-07-2014, 12:33 PM Reply   
The voids in hull are what they said is wrong with it. You physically can't see them. Once they did a water test that's when we found out about what they are calling voids. The 15 times going out are before they did a water test. The dealer kept telling him that skiers choice does not pay for water test.

Rick did reach out to Brandon and gave him those options and then told him he had to deal directly with dealer.
I'm not sure of details on the trading in of the boat all I know is he told me it would cost 10k more.
It just an unfortunate situation.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-07-2014, 3:31 PM Reply   
So what problem are these hull
Voids causing exactly??

Sent from my iPhone
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-07-2014, 4:08 PM Reply   
They won't just give him a refund?

The new bottom hull option isn't a bad one. It's just time consuming... They have to take the whole boat apart more or less.
Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       03-07-2014, 4:22 PM Reply   
Not exactly sure what's wrong with the hull they called it voids. But when you turn the boat dives to the side you're turning where the board racks Drag in the water and then the prop loses propulsion or some people call it cavitation.
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       03-07-2014, 6:38 PM Reply   
Say what ?..... Can I get some clarification on board racks drag in the water.