Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-20-2013, 10:03 AM Reply   
Need new tires for my F350 dsl. Im going to run 305/70/16 anybody use Hercules Terra Trac A/Ts? Or any other brands you like better?
I have BFG right now Ive had since 12/2006. I got 50k on them but they are starting to crack. I dont need really expensive tires....I tow a 5th wheel and ski boat, drive in snow a little and not much off roading other then camping and a few gravel launch ramps.
Thanks....
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       03-20-2013, 10:28 AM Reply   
Below is a thread I started a while back when I had the same question. Hope it helps... I ended up going with BFG ATs just becuase I found a deal on some that were practically new for half the price...

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...ghlight=diesel
Old     (bushtree)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-20-2013, 10:36 AM Reply   
I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers on my truck now, and they are my favorite AT or MT tire I have ever tried thus far.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-20-2013, 11:04 AM Reply   
I had some Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's on a Dodge 2500 a while back. I loved them.
Attached Images

Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-20-2013, 11:09 AM Reply   
I'm will Nick ^^^^ Second set of Nitto Terra Grapplers now on my Titan, before on the Armada get tires 50k plus! 305/50/20
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-20-2013, 11:09 AM Reply   
I happen to be a wholesale tire Distributor out of the Northeast. I'm NOT trying to sell a thing, just happen to have first hand knowledge and want to help if I can. I think a solid A/T with limited road noise will treat you well. Hankook DynaPro ATm is one of the best options out there. Another to consider is Firestone Transforce A/T which is a closed shoulder A/T and long respected as the standard for commercial traction. Goodyear Duratrac's are good but pricey. If you like the BfGoodrich wavey/baja tread pattern, stick to BFG. The General Grabber AT2 may look like a cheaper alternative, but it tends to have vibration issues. The Nitto Terra Grappler is a good tire for traction, but in HD and towing applications, it will wear very quickly, I've had clients kill them in 18-20K more than once. A Yokohama Geolander AT-S is a real nice tire but tends to be more money, on a deal, they are probably in my top 5-7 choices. So Hankook for a premium ride discounted, if you don't like it, Duratrac or Transforce.
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-20-2013, 11:10 AM Reply   
Forgot this
Attached Images

Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-20-2013, 11:31 AM Reply   
X 3 for the nitto tera grapplers just make sure you get the e rated ones. I have them on my one ton dodge and love them
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-20-2013, 1:54 PM Reply   
Check out Toyo Open Country AT2s. These are a somewhat new release that provided a more aggressive tread pattern than the previous ATs, quiet at highway speeds, and excellent in wet conditions. Expensive, but well worth the price IMO. I've also had BFG T/A KO All Terrains, which served me well, but I like the Toyos a tad bit more.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-20-2013, 4:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by machloosy View Post
The Nitto Terra Grappler is a good tire for traction, but in HD and towing applications, it will wear very quickly, I've had clients kill them in 18-20K more than once.
This. I recently replaced my worn Nitto Terra Grapplers and I did not consider buying another set. Went with some BFG A/T's instead...at least they offer a treadwear warranty.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-20-2013, 6:38 PM Reply   
I didn't hear anything that said you would need an AT tire.
Get some Michelins LTX MS, they'll go 60k, run smooth and quiet, wear evenly, work good in snow/ice and most importantly make your truck ride like a Cadillac. They are not cheap because they are not cheap. Compare $ per mile they usually match lower cost/mileage rated tires, the 60k tire is a better value because you change them less often.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-20-2013, 7:01 PM Reply   
I have had good luck with yokohama geolander ats and bridgestone dueller revos...
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-20-2013, 7:06 PM Reply   
I just went through this for my Tundra. At first I thought I wanted true A/T tires, after lots of research I decided on the Michelin LTX MS/2 in a 10 ply load range E. My truck spends 98% of it's life on the road and though they aren't a true A/T tire they got decent off-road ratings. They grip the road really well, do great in the rain (I live in the NW where it always is raining), and rated decent for snow. If you don't go off road much, or when you do if it's just dirt/gravel, take a look at these tires. If you spend a decent amount of time in the mud or sand look for a true A/T tire.

My 275/70/18's ran me just a hair over 1k out the door a few months ago at Sears (they beat Costco's price)
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-20-2013, 9:03 PM Reply   
My BFG's have served me great....But I dont drive the truck enough to spend the $ on more BFG's. They still have decent tread left just starting to show cracking on the sidewalls. They are 6 1/2 yrs old. I dont want junk tires either though......I hate pissing in the wind!!!!
I better start looking online and see what catches my eye...
Thanks guys
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-20-2013, 10:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
My BFG's have served me great....But I dont drive the truck enough to spend the $ on more BFG's. They still have decent tread left just starting to show cracking on the sidewalls. They are 6 1/2 yrs old. I dont want junk tires either though......I hate pissing in the wind!!!!
I better start looking online and see what catches my eye...
Thanks guys
If your not weary of Craigslist, check there. I've score some tires on there that were gently used and had less than 2000-3000 miles on them. The key though is inspection. Any signs of plugs, cracking sidewalls, uneven wear, etc. i'd pass on.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-21-2013, 8:48 AM Reply   
I saw a set of Terra Grapplers 315/75/16 on alloy wheels with replacement certificate for 1k.
Tires have 8k on them bought from Americas Tire. They are about 12 miles from me....I have 315's on now just thought it would save some wear n tear on the truck going smaller....Uugh....
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-21-2013, 10:19 AM Reply   
IMO bfg are the best! Hands down for mileage and traction. I drive in severe weather alot being I'm a powder hog and never spun out with these. My set I have now are dick cepecks they suck. I have mtr s on my jeep great off road but that's it. The bfg have the mountain and snow flake emblem on the side rating them for extreme conditions. Which is y when all the gaypers are driving 5 mph all scared I'm driving in the center of 2 lanes going 45 mph lol super solid!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-22-2013, 4:48 PM Reply   
funny how there can be such different experiences.
I ran Michelin XC LT4 M/S on a 93 GMC Z71 and wore out about 4 sets that all went 60K as advertised. Got a 99 Yukon that had BFG Trail T/A's and they rode and handled like crap I couldn't stand it. I put on the Michelins on it and BOOM back to a great ride. It's on its 3rd set. No BFG for me.
Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       03-22-2013, 5:23 PM Reply   
I had the new Toyo Open Country AT2 tires installed yesterday on my Tundra, and man are they nice. They're the "xtreme" LT version, which has a more aggressive sidewalk than the standard LT or the P metric version/sizes. They are quiet for an AT tire and handle great, plus they have a great treadlife warranty. They we much much less expensive than BFG AT in size 285/55/20.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-22-2013, 5:48 PM Reply   
I ran mine on a dodge and go to Tahoe in the worst of storms seriously could not spin my truck out if I tried.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-22-2013, 6:35 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the suggestions....
Im going with Toyo AT 2's......
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-22-2013, 9:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions....
Im going with Toyo AT 2's......
Nice! You won't be disappointed.

'00 Toyota 4Runner Highlander. by Bucky Images, on Flickr

'00 Toyota 4Runner Highlander. by Bucky Images, on Flickr
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-23-2013, 6:06 AM Reply   
We've sold a lot of the AT2's lately. Turning out to be a pretty good tire. Those, Terra Grapplers, and Toyo OC M?/T are all real good tires.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-23-2013, 7:17 AM Reply   
Toyo Open Country AT2 for the win. I am running 35x20x12.5. I am loving them. My last set was Cooper SST and they were loud, but I got 60k out of them. I have a Ford F350 with a 6 in lift.
Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       03-23-2013, 12:25 PM Reply   
What psi are you guys running on your Toyo AT2? My 285/55/20 are rated for 80 psi but Discount Tire set them at 35psi. Wondering if I should increase to 45 or 50psi to prevent excessive wear.
Old     (dDubya)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-08-2013, 10:39 AM Reply   
I love my ProComp XTreme All Terrains. Very aggressive looking, quiet'ish, and 50,000 mile warranty!

Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-08-2013, 1:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctxaggies View Post
What psi are you guys running on your Toyo AT2? My 285/55/20 are rated for 80 psi but Discount Tire set them at 35psi. Wondering if I should increase to 45 or 50psi to prevent excessive wear.
I run mine at 42 PSI. My tires are Load Range E. You can always do the chalk test to determine the proper tire pressure.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       04-08-2013, 2:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctxaggies View Post
60 for mileage and wear!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-08-2013, 2:21 PM Reply   
I got rid if my BFG TAKO's because they just chucked to many rocks for my liking.
Was running the Toyo Open country on about 5 of my trucks. Buddy offered me a deal I couldn't refuse on a new tire to try out. I am running 285/75/16's on my Tahoe stock rims.

Picked up the Hankook ATM. Had the Toyo AT 2's been out i think I would have gone with them tho. My Hankooks drive nice and feel rock solid. I picked the Hankook ATM's because I was just tired of same ol thing and like the little more aggressive look. I have about 30k on them. Look real nice still handled the ice n snow very well. My only complaint is around town at 25-40mph they are a bit noisy and you can feel the road a bit through the wheel so to speak, but once you're past that they are very smooth n quiet on the e-way. I average about 1.5 mpg less than my Toyo Open Country's in the same size.

The Coopers were also on my short list, but no one stocked them locally.

Last edited by xstarrider; 04-08-2013 at 2:24 PM.
Old     (KLPDEPAEPE)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-08-2013, 9:47 PM Reply   
Jeff- I was gonna chime in... I got the toyo at II's a month or two ago... Nice looking, something different, but louder on the road than what I wanted. I felt louder than when my toyo mt's were new, no joke. How is the road noise on your set up ? Just posting for others considering the same... Later dudes! (FYI 35 x 12.5r20's)
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-08-2013, 10:34 PM Reply   
KLP I actually did end up with the Hercules. The Toyo's were Back ordered and I just wanted it done with.
Time will tell if I made a bad decision......