Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-05-2012, 12:59 PM Reply   
Next week...
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-05-2012, 12:59 PM Reply   
Wish they would release some specs.. I'll probably buy it regardless... Been on Android for 3 years - ready for a change. No complaints, just something different.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       09-05-2012, 1:41 PM Reply   
moi. bigger screen and LTE are the major things. faster cpu, possibly 1 gb ram. new dock connector is unfortunate.
ios 6 runs great; apple's maps still need a little work in pinning down search results.

the new nokia 920 looks pretty awesome too though.
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-05-2012, 1:45 PM Reply   
Yo tambien, little bigger battery but with 4g we'll see what it's worth
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-05-2012, 1:54 PM Reply   
Theyll have the adaptors for sale for $10each or cable for $19 each to accommodate old accessories.

I cant decide btwn white or black. Always had black but the thing will be going inside a lifeproof case anyways.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-05-2012, 2:24 PM Reply   
920 is getting cool reviews - but they are only giving them a few minutes with the phone. feature list looks impressive and reviewers are saying it's on par with the S3, etc..

good time to be buying. would be nice to have better integration with windows 7.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-05-2012, 2:27 PM Reply   
People use windows still? Totally kidding
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       09-05-2012, 2:28 PM Reply   
I have a few business critical apps on ios I need, but I'm hoping this is the start of something good for Microsoft. Apple needs solid competition and android is a freakin mess.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       09-05-2012, 2:45 PM Reply   
One interesting catch to this is if you have unlimited data. Verizon won't grandfather you if you use an upgrade subsidy or if you switch from 3g to 4g. I think I'll ride my 4s out till it is dead. There isn't really anything I can't do with it already. It plays netflix, browses the web and other apps with decent speed. I am sure in a couple years I'll be thinking different, but for now I will continue to enjoy my data.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       09-05-2012, 2:47 PM Reply   
Yep, it's full price for phones from here on out for me. Need the unlimited data. Luckily people pay through the nose for these old phones.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       09-05-2012, 2:53 PM Reply   
I am seeing even if you buy it outright, if it is 4g, you have to switch

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/775608

Kind of a bummer.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       09-05-2012, 2:55 PM Reply   
It's honestly still pretty unclear. I've heard it both ways, but more people have been saying that even going from a 3g to 4g device you can keep it IF you don't enter a new contract (or take a subsidy). Guess we'll see. Either way Verizon has me by the balls because att and sprint suck here.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-05-2012, 2:57 PM Reply   
Yep - Apple Fan Boy here. I gave up my unlimited data (as I barely hit 3G a month) and moved to the shared plan where I have 6G monthly for iphone, ipad, hotspot. I hope this new phone will allow me to hotspot my phone while being on a call and if that is the case the hotspot is gone.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-05-2012, 3:10 PM Reply   
I have a Lumia 900 and wife has a 4Gs. Will be very interested to see what the 5G and Lumia 920 are like in person.

i hate her 4Gs, when I want a locked down experience I prefer the Lumia much better. When I want freedom I pick my rooted Android back up. I'm still toying with Galaxy S III, will wait on the Lumia 920 first though.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-05-2012, 3:10 PM Reply   
What point is it to have unlimited date if I keep getting throttled every month???im on the unlimited and still have my unlocked 4. The last 15 days of the month to me are useless unless Im at home on wifi.

So since this is the case...either way I'll be forced onto the shared plan I might as well switch carriers. So to verizon I go.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-05-2012, 5:41 PM Reply   
Hoping for NFC and apple's version of "Google Wallet". The slightly larger screen will be nice too. With the added 4G and more processing power, the larger battery will probably have the same run time which is a drawback for me.

I didn't upgrade the last time around because I didn't think the 4S was worth it. I have been holding out for the 5. Hope it will be worth the wait.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-06-2012, 9:32 AM Reply   
^^^no NFC for you
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-06-2012, 9:47 AM Reply   
WIll the new nokia be coming out for verizon?
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-06-2012, 9:49 PM Reply   
I'll be replacing my 3GS with either an Android or an iPhone 5...probably around Jan or Feb, unless the iPhone is really that impressive.

I've always made it a habit to play the 'wait-and-see' game with Apple hardware because they don't have the best track record for having reliable hardware right out of the gate. Battery issues, LCD panel issues, etc. Right now I'm waiting for Apple to sort out the image retention issues that the Retina MacBook Pros seem to be having. There's a 166 page thread on the Apple Discussion forums about it...seems to grow about 4 pages per day @ 15 posts per page).

If I were a Lumia/MS fan I would be really excited about what the new Lumia phones are doing. I think I'm going to give them a serious look after this next phone, because there's some features that I really like. The new 920 looks like a bit of a piggy, though. Slim that guy down, go back to a matte finish, and you've really got something there. Maybe at some point someone will get it to run Android.
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-11-2012, 4:09 PM Reply   
Talked to sprint today and they said all they know is that a press conference is tomorrow, can u preorder on apple site or what?
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       09-11-2012, 4:10 PM Reply   
Nobody knows yet. Preorders might not start tomorrow at all - some say Friday.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-11-2012, 4:14 PM Reply   
Im going with Friday the 14th delivered 21st.

I think Sprint isnt getting theres until Mid Oct
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-11-2012, 11:48 PM Reply   
You 'public beta' testers be sure to report back in a month or two with the issues that you're having.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-12-2012, 7:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_a View Post
You 'public beta' testers be sure to report back in a month or two with the issues that you're having.
This applies to anything. I would never buy a first year model boat. That being said, Apple is more reliable than most companies. I have the iPhone 4 with the antenna issue and it's really not a problem. Apple even sent me a free cover to boot. I switched to Apple after having ongoing issues with my PC/windows and never looked back.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-12-2012, 7:53 AM Reply   
I walked into the Verizon store yesterday and put my name on the list. They're supposed to call me today for pre order for delivery on the 21st. I'm anxious to give Verizon a try and finally dump ATT.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       09-12-2012, 7:54 AM Reply   
As far as the software goes, I've been running ios6 for months now and haven't had any real issues with it - other than the new native mapping app still needing some work. Having facetime over wifi has been great.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-12-2012, 7:55 AM Reply   
The iphone4 was my first apple device, bought on day 1 and never once had that "antenna problem" and i hold it the way they say causes it. I bought a case for it on day one and its never seen the outside of a case unless switchin cases. That phone is still going strong, its since been unlocked and held me over during this 4s time period. Typin on it as we speak.

So im not too concerned.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-12-2012, 7:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
I walked into the Verizon store yesterday and put my name on the list. They're supposed to call me today for pre order for delivery on the 21st. I'm anxious to give Verizon a try and finally dump ATT.
Ive heard mixed comments about preorders being today or friday. Dont be suprise if its Friday, Apple has increased their staffing for Friday. Guess we'll find out in a few hrs. If AT&T increases to 5gb on my grandfathered unlimited plan after it goes LTE then I may stay with them. Decisions decisions
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-12-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
Yup I was warned about that
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       09-12-2012, 9:14 AM Reply   
AT&T will not be allowing facetime-via-cellular with any grandfathered plans - you have to switch to a new plan to get that. Ridiculous. I'm still unsure as to whether or not I want to get a subsidized phone. Our data usage is low enough that we could save money by going with one of the new plans, and it would be nice to have official tethering in a pinch now and then.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-12-2012, 9:22 AM Reply   
I use 4gb a month, have had the facetime for 2 yrs and never once used it so no biggie. But i understand what ur saying.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-12-2012, 10:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
I If AT&T increases to 5gb on my grandfathered unlimited plan after it goes LTE then I may stay with them. Decisions decisions
It's already been confirmed with AT&T corporate (via tech websites) that grandfathered plans will allow 5gb of data on LTE before they throttle the speed back. One of the salesmen at a nearby AT&T store confirmed that it's true.

...and it looks like all the rumors about the iPhone 5 were true. Larger size, LTE, and some faster graphics...

Last edited by scott_a; 09-12-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-12-2012, 10:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_a View Post
It's already been confirmed with AT&T corporate (via tech websites) that grandfathered plans will allow 5gb of data on LTE before they throttle the speed back. One of the salesmen at a nearby AT&T store confirmed that it's true.

...and it looks like all the rumors about the iPhone 5 were true. Larger size, LTE, and some faster graphics...
Thanks...i just dont trust my local at&t or verizon sales people so was skeptical.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-12-2012, 11:30 AM Reply   
Boooo...was hoping the rumors were wrong. Not sure if Im impressed enough to warrant an upgrade from my iphone4 & switch carriers.
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-13-2012, 1:37 PM Reply   
So if it's available for preorder tomorrow is that at 12:01 am online?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-13-2012, 1:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnargnar View Post
So if it's available for preorder tomorrow is that at 12:01 am online?
12:01amPST

Yes online via apple.com and carriers. Be prepared for crashed sites but just keep trying.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-13-2012, 1:44 PM Reply   
I'm holding off due to I might not change carriers since i can keep my unlimited and the adaptors thus far will not be able to be used for video and well thats how I connect it to my indash monitor so will wait until the new cable comes out and the lifeproof case becomes available. I can wait patiently this time lol
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-21-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
Anyone get one? I was going for the black until all the issues I came across and seeing one in person a few days ago. So I'll prob be the only one in my crew rockin a white iphone5. But who cares it'll be in a case anyways
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       09-21-2012, 10:17 AM Reply   
Mine should be here by 3.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-21-2012, 11:40 AM Reply   
Mine doesn't arrive until October 5th - fing verizon lol I waited too long to place my order.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-21-2012, 11:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboypimp View Post
Mine doesn't arrive until October 5th - fing verizon lol I waited too long to place my order.
Should have walked into a location today. My preorder got messed up and i went into an at&t corporate store and was the 4th in line.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       09-21-2012, 11:52 AM Reply   
FedEx just got here. This thing is light.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-21-2012, 1:05 PM Reply   
Mine is at home waiting. wifey got a white one, I got the black one. stoked to fiddle around with it this weekend and come to the realization that it's just a phone I'll never use to 1/10th it's capacity by Monday.

:-)
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-21-2012, 4:08 PM Reply   
Well that didn't take long...
Quote:
This time around, the issues are a bit more mysterious. Some iPhone 5s, for example, show an odd bubble effect when their users press the screen too hard. Others report that their screens are flickering and are blurry in some areas.
Article and some youtube videos here - http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/21/iph...reen-problems/
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       09-21-2012, 6:16 PM Reply   
A few notes after half a day...

Typing is noticeably faster. Even on the 4s I would routinely get ahead and have significant typing lag, especially in email or texts. End up with way fewer mistakes now.

LTE seems quite fast. I am getting a nice strong signal in my favorite sushi place where evdo was nearly nonexistent.

No lag in any applications or switching so far.

The weight takes some getting used to - I can't tell it's in my pocket.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-22-2012, 6:33 AM Reply   
Nice maps, fools.

Apple sucks.

My galaxy s2 is a better phone.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-22-2012, 6:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfan23 View Post
Nice maps, fools.

Apple sucks.

My galaxy s2 is a better phone.
I agree on the maps part...looking
forward to them adding google maps app
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-22-2012, 1:30 PM Reply   
Apple could take a dump in a box, package it nicely and the Apple fanboys would line up around the block to buy it then espouse its virtues.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-22-2012, 3:16 PM Reply   
What's hilarious is that they tout all these new features but Samsung has already had these features so apple is still playing catch up. But hey it's a new apple phone so it'll sell. No matter what with the apple name people want it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-22-2012, 4:34 PM Reply   
Maybe Samsung should sue them now for copying their product
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-22-2012, 4:38 PM Reply   
Looks like they're planning it http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...-the-iphone-5/
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-22-2012, 5:39 PM Reply   
but they will ALL answer to this little gem. So far, I'm 40,000 shares all below $1

ready for the suit to get under way....

http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...20&id=15580231
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-22-2012, 8:36 PM Reply   
Hooray for patent trolls?

I wish someone would just hit the reset button on the USPTO.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       09-23-2012, 9:51 PM Reply   
Mine coming tomorrow. As an engineer I'm a geek at heart so can't wait!
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-24-2012, 9:12 PM Reply   
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-27-2012, 4:42 PM Reply   
my Black Berry screen gave out. I have ordered an Iphone 5. I never thought that I would own an Android or Iphone, but....

the Black Berry had a red light that would flash when you received/missed a text, email, call. I loved the feature because you could tell that you missed something, from across the room, or with a quick glance. You never HAD to pick your phone up a check for messages, emails, or calls.

I have quized several iphone owners about a similar app. They claim one doesn't exist. I will miss this feature a lot! It might even be a deal killer for me.

Do you guys know of such an app?
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-27-2012, 5:47 PM Reply   
There is a setting that flashes the LED brightly when a notification comes in, but nothing that will continue to flash afterwards. I think you will get used to not having it, I can't see how big of a dealbreaker that would be.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-27-2012, 6:04 PM Reply   
I was a diehard bb user and yes that was nice but i after switchin i havent looked back. Yes the led will flash when it arrives but like the person above stated it wont continue to flash like the bb. The pros of the iphone outway the flashing led imo
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-27-2012, 6:28 PM Reply   
I'm sure that you guys are right. I have been strictly a talk and text kind of guy. I'm sure that's all about to change....
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-03-2012, 3:52 PM Reply   
Holy crap - got the 5 today and this thing is FAST. Not 4G LTE Fast (which it is) but doing anything on the phone is 10x faster than my 4. As mentioned before the phone is light - super light. You can really see the size difference and improvement in the screen (I didn't have a 4S). I noticed that there appears to be a lot of new setting options in iOS 6 - some are pretty cool. I have found Siri to be very useful for me particularly in the car.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-03-2012, 4:00 PM Reply   
^^^whatever you do...dont update your 4 to ios6 just yet. I still hate this maps...doesnt show traffic good compared to googlemaps. And tapatalk is jacked up on one of my forums due to ios6.