Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-05-2019, 11:11 AM Reply   
Long time reader. First time posting here, first time boat purchase. A little nervous. Last posts asking about boats under 40k were from spring and summer 2018 so..

I would love some feedback on boats with the following priorities

#1. Budget $25-30k
2. 21-22' preferred length to fit in the garage which has a 23-10" length
3. reliable boat and motor (engine, components, longevity)
4. . Surf wave quality as is ( its going to take awhile to learn to boat before i can learn to adjust wake, ballasts, fins, gates, wedges etc)
5. 12-14 seater
6. Heater (wife, lol) and kids are 11,9,6,2. We boat cold utah mountain lakes and i want a longer season. Not sure if that can be added after market.
19. cool graphics

constantly debating with friends about getting an old top of the line boat vs a newer base model (moomba, heyday,sanger, etc). Read those threads too. THANKS ALL!

Name:  Malibu-2004-Wakesetter-VLX-154.jpg
Views: 9852
Size:  120.4 KB
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-05-2019, 12:11 PM Reply   
At that price you are looking at a "vintage" boat. No boats of 10-15 years ago were surf monsters without some upgrades to ballast and in more modern terms adding a suckgate or some other surf device. One you do those things at Utah altitude, a prop upgrade is definitely going to be on the horizon too.

A mid-00s malibu vlx or vride is going to be just OK surfing with stock ballast, and would be totally unacceptable by what new boats can throw. If you upgrade ballast and add a suck gate and prop it correctly, you should be able to make a decent wave tho.
Old     (CTM17081)      Join Date: Sep 2018       08-05-2019, 1:47 PM Reply   
It is more than your budget, but I lover our new Heyday WT-2DC. Seats 12 and surfs great straight out of the box. Not sure about a heater option though.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-05-2019, 2:07 PM Reply   
Tige 21V

Last edited by rexlex01; 08-05-2019 at 2:13 PM.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-05-2019, 2:12 PM Reply   
How about a Tige 21V or 22VE?: https://claz.org/classifieds/vehicles/boats?q=tige+21v

https://www.shoppok.com/denver/a,29,...ce=clazoutfeed

Last edited by rexlex01; 08-05-2019 at 2:20 PM.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-05-2019, 2:41 PM Reply   
The Tige is a great suggestion. Others to look at are Centurion Avalanche with C4 hulls and Malibu VLX. Throw an InfinityWave.net system on any of those and they will be surf machines.
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-06-2019, 6:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
Tige 21V
WOW, thanks for the replies guys.
why the tige 21v/22ve? is this the base model ? i see a 22ve listed for $36 with 380 hours.
Old     (Koolaid)      Join Date: Feb 2018       08-06-2019, 6:11 AM Reply   
Because you can pick up the 21v's cheap and they a great wake surfing boats when you set them up properly. Easy to maintain and pretty much bulletproof construction.
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-06-2019, 6:15 AM Reply   
Koolaid and others, sounds like the wave will be better, but overall how is the 21v gonna compare with the 04vlx im looking at?
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-06-2019, 7:59 AM Reply   
The VLX would have the better Wakeboard wake but the Tige or Centurion would have the better surf wake and be a little better in chop.
Definitely get the VLX if you want to Wakeboard it’s a Great boat for learning at low speeds but will have a lower ceiling in the surf department.
Your family will have fun in either brand.

Last edited by rexlex01; 08-06-2019 at 8:03 AM.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-06-2019, 8:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
A mid-00s malibu vlx or vride is going to be just OK surfing with stock ballast, and would be totally unacceptable by what new boats can throw. If you upgrade ballast and add a suck gate and prop it correctly, you should be able to make a decent wave tho.
2005-2007 V-ride Is the 2002-2004 VLX, the VLX changed to a bigger hull in 2005, so Do Not go earlier than2005 VLX and No on the V-ride.
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-06-2019, 8:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
The VLX would have the better Wakeboard wake but the Tige would have the better surf wake and be a little better in chop.
Definitely get the VLX if you want to Wakeboard it’s a Great boat for learning at low speeds.
Thanks Rex,
i think we prefer to learn to surf. no one in my fam wakeboards but my kids are very young. In your opinion, what about the other factors? quality, engine, features like heater?
Old     (Koolaid)      Join Date: Feb 2018       08-06-2019, 8:08 AM Reply   
http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...-22ve-for-sale
Just noticed this one on another forum and its right about your price range.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-06-2019, 8:10 AM Reply   
Since you’re looking at 12 year old boats, quality is relative to maintenance and care by previous owners. Get a survey before you buy.. Most heaters are 3rd party so you can have a heater added to any boat.
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-06-2019, 8:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
2005-2007 V-ride Is the 2002-2004 VLX, the VLX changed to a bigger hull in 2005, so Do Not go earlier than2005 VLX and No on the V-ride.
dang Joe, the 2004 vlx is the one im test driving thurs. should i cancel? whats wrong with that one?
also considering this after all the tige love on this thread, but the price seems high
https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/...ncEd0-pLg.link
https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/...ncEd0-pLg.link
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-06-2019, 9:21 AM Reply   
Thats a Ve so one of their more modern boats. Tige was pushing surfing before almost everyone else other than centurion. Deep free boards before everyone else too. It might be a little high but depends on what all options are on it. Low hours too to be honest. If you think that 02 xstars and super airs are going for as high as 32 with low hours thats not a bad price. That will surf way better than either of those. I know I have an OG xstar. I would for sure check out that Tige. Ive wakeboarded behind the Tige and it had a legit wake for its time.
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-06-2019, 10:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
Thats a Ve so one of their more modern boats. Tige was pushing surfing before almost everyone else other than centurion. Deep free boards before everyone else too. It might be a little high but depends on what all options are on it. Low hours too to be honest. If you think that 02 xstars and super airs are going for as high as 32 with low hours thats not a bad price. That will surf way better than either of those. I know I have an OG xstar. I would for sure check out that Tige. Ive wakeboarded behind the Tige and it had a legit wake for its time.
sorry Tampa, the 22ve will surf better than the 02 xstar and super air?
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-07-2019, 1:19 AM Reply   
Absolutely the 22Ve will surf WAY better than both the OG X Star and 210 and also way more spacious. That was my point that the cost of the Tige is not that bad of a asking price. When you see the OG Xstar and 210s going for close to those prices. Also that Tige looks super clean.
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-07-2019, 2:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
Absolutely the 22Ve will surf WAY better than both the OG X Star and 210 and also way more spacious. That was my point that the cost of the Tige is not that bad of a asking price. When you see the OG Xstar and 210s going for close to those prices. Also that Tige looks super clean.
THANK YOU! ill search for a closer 22ve to compare! as a beginner, its hard to "see" a boat on the internet.
so im test driving the 04 wakesetter vlx tomorrow, how would you compare the 2 in quality, wave and fit/ finish?
Old    Zackdogg            08-07-2019, 3:13 AM Reply   
We rode a couple of wakesetters, for years.. they were pretty sweet wakeboard boats, but don’t think you’ll get much, if any surf wave out of them. If you’re really looking to surf, I wouldn’t even bother testing it.

I’d say fit and finish are pretty comparable to each other..
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-07-2019, 9:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackdogg View Post
We rode a couple of wakesetters, for years.. they were pretty sweet wakeboard boats, but don’t think you’ll get much, if any surf wave out of them. If you’re really looking to surf, I wouldn’t even bother testing it.

I’d say fit and finish are pretty comparable to each other..
All it takes is a bit of money to upgrade and old Wakesetters get a new lease on life as surf boats. This was filmed on an older VLX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nVJmuGzteI

We have systems on all kinds of older 'Bu's and it works great. Ballast must also be addressed.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-07-2019, 10:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbabs View Post
dang Joe, the 2004 vlx is the one im test driving thurs. should i cancel? whats wrong with that one?
Do Not buy the 2004, test ride for wakesurfing? sure, make sure you open the storage lockers in the back and you can see the stock ballast tanks in them, the 2005 is so much bigger, when you open the lockers in the back, you will not see any ballast tanks, they are all under the floor! I put a piggy back bag in the port locker of the 2005 and it works great. You could have a great time testing out all the wakes on all the boats, may the best wake win, good luck!
Old    Zackdogg            08-07-2019, 11:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakarocks View Post
All it takes is a bit of money to upgrade and old Wakesetters get a new lease on life as surf boats. This was filmed on an older VLX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nVJmuGzteI

We have systems on all kinds of older 'Bu's and it works great. Ballast must also be addressed.

I probably shouldn’t have said “I doubt you’ll get a surf wave”. You could slam it with ballast, and put a surf system on it, and get some kind of a wave. If I wanted a wake boat, I’d still ride behind a wakesetter, they’re great for wakeboarding. What I should have said was “I personally wouldn’t put the effort and money into a wakesetter to try and get a surf wave”. You’ll end up dumping $8-$10k into a boat you just bought, for a mediocre wave, and probably break your new boat, or not be able to get on plane, because it wasn’t designed for a bunch of excess weight. I’m sure it’s doable, and I’m sure guys have done it, hell, there’s probably out there riding an insane wave behind a wakesetter, somewhere, but some stuff is just diminishing returns.
Old    Zackdogg            08-07-2019, 11:07 AM Reply   
Ps, I don’t claim to know everything! Happy to say I’m wrong if someone wants me to ride behind their Bu. If I like it, I’ll be happy to say it. Just throwing my experience out there.
Old     (COV2)      Join Date: Sep 2017       08-07-2019, 2:33 PM Reply   
I too was in the same boat two years ago. I found a 2006 Centurion Enzo SV230 with about 450 hours on the clock and in very good shape with lots of maintenance performed by the dealer. Paid $25k for it. I put $6k into installing the Infinity Wave Mfg tabs, a dual wing center tab, upgraded ballast system, speakers, and minor miscellaneous cosmetic repairs. I have a phenomenal wave. Goofy is almost better than regular and waves are highly adjustable. I have a total of 29 trouble free days at Lake Powell with amazing surfing. I can switch from side to side in minutes. You cannot go wrong with an Enzo and it should fit your budget. The infinity Wave Mfg tabs are a game changer and a bargain. They will also make the double wing center tab for you.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-07-2019, 2:51 PM Reply   
If he can’t get a 22VE in his garage might as well get a 24VE https://boats-from-usa.com/tige/tige-24ve-115142
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-08-2019, 2:36 AM Reply   
sounds like everyone is against the 04 vlx so i am now looking at 04 avalanche and of course tige 22v, ve.
1. any big difference in V vs VE? just trim levels as i am reading ?
2. what loss will i have in getting those tige pre 06? found an 04' and my budget may be tight as it looks like i may have to upgrade our old tow vehicle.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       08-08-2019, 7:18 AM Reply   
I have a 04 22V with the ZR6 motor, it's been great and throws one of the best surf waves I've ever been behind. I've surfed behind quire a few 100K+ surf boat as well. I've owned it for three years pretty much trouble free other than basic maintenance.

I had to put in a new steering cable this year, and last year I replaced the exhaust manifolds as they were rusted out. I do all the work myself.

The hulls from the V/VE are slightly different but there isn't much difference in the wave. You can stuff a little bit more ballast in the rear lockers of the 22V. The Ve is more or less an updated V. Better captains chair, updated dash, better vinyl styling, walkthrough transom, etc.

There are a handful of nice 22Ves out there in the sub 35K range I've seen recently. I've also have seen a few RZ2s sub 35K, they have the same hull below the water line as the Ve.

I'd pay around 25K for a 22V. Anymore than that I'd start looking for 22Ves. I personally wouldn't pay more than 20K for a 21V.

Make sure whatever you're looking at has perfect pass, a bimini top, good trailer, ballast is a bonus but can be added for a few grand.

Last edited by parkcityxj; 08-08-2019 at 7:24 AM.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-08-2019, 9:26 AM Reply   
And if you’re real real handy you could possibly get this 2011 RZ2 for $15k. LOL

https://www.shoppok.com/keys/a,29,10...ce=clazoutfeed
Old     (wombat2wombat)      Join Date: Sep 2018       08-09-2019, 1:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
sounds like everyone is against the 04 vlx so i am now looking at 04 avalanche and of course tige 22v, ve.
1. any big difference in V vs VE? just trim levels as i am reading ?
2. what loss will i have in getting those tige pre 06? found an 04' and my budget may be tight as it looks like i may have to upgrade our old tow vehicle.
I'd do more research but I do know the 2006 Tige's were just junk & had a ton of issues with their cruise control & could never get it fixed. That hull does make a good wave though with the right weight & a suck gate.

Are the lakes you're on choppy? If so, get a deep V hull like the Tige, Centurion, MB. The low freeboard on the early Malibus can get down right sketchy when you load up 3500 pounds. & rattle your teeth lose when riding through the chop.
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-10-2019, 10:11 AM Reply   
sorry again to drag this on. hoping to make a purchase this week. what do you guys think about this boat?
2003 226 LE
good hull?
heavy boat, i read.
good quality.
low hours.
https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/57106999
but hows the WAVE
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-10-2019, 1:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
sorry again to drag this on. hoping to make a purchase this week. what do you guys think about this boat?
2003 226 LE
good hull?
heavy boat, i read.
good quality.
low hours.
https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/57106999
but hows the WAVE

Run
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-10-2019, 4:34 PM Reply   
ok rexlex dont do that. what do you mean? like as in run from or to?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-12-2019, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
ok rexlex dont do that. what do you mean? like as in run from or to?
he's saying don't buy that boat.... ad has been pulled so can't confirm it has issues
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-12-2019, 2:52 PM Reply   
Among many things the 226 Needs calm water more than most of its contemporaries. It’s very touchy in Rougher water and with side to side weight distribution. Shallow bow seating and transom vents letting water in when heavily listed are just a few reasons.

Last edited by rexlex01; 08-12-2019 at 2:56 PM.
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-12-2019, 6:45 PM Reply   
OK trying to make a purchase within a week or so, give or take one place in the lineup, how does this new shopping list look, in order of preference?.

1.Naut 220 06-08
2. Avalanche
3. Naut 210te 2007 2008
4. Cen Enzo
5. Tige 22ve, V .
6. Cyclone 21' 06-08
7. Naut 226
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-13-2019, 7:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Long time reader. First time posting here, first time boat purchase. A little nervous. Last posts asking about boats under 40k were from spring and summer 2018 so..

I would love some feedback on boats with the following priorities

#1. Budget $25-30k
2. 21-22' preferred length to fit in the garage which has a 23-10" length
3. reliable boat and motor (engine, components, longevity)
4. . Surf wave quality as is ( its going to take awhile to learn to boat before i can learn to adjust wake, ballasts, fins, gates, wedges etc)
5. 12-14 seater
6. Heater (wife, lol) and kids are 11,9,6,2. We boat cold utah mountain lakes and i want a longer season. Not sure if that can be added after market.
19. cool graphics

constantly debating with friends about getting an old top of the line boat vs a newer base model (moomba, heyday,sanger, etc). Read those threads too. THANKS ALL!

]
Are these priorities in order of importance?

If they are, then you have put, budget, length, reliability ahead of surfing.
Therefore, considering the law of averages and several mathematical algorithms, you might want to look for the most OCD, picky anal owner of a Nautique that was babied and maintained with the greatest attention to detail and perfection that it makes following just the owners manual as reckless abandonment and is willing to give t away

Last edited by rexlex01; 08-13-2019 at 7:08 AM.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-13-2019, 11:29 AM Reply   
At this point in the season you are going to be way way way better off waiting six weeks to buy. Prices gonna drop fast in the couple of weeks after Labor Day.
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-13-2019, 5:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Are these priorities in order of importance?

If they are, then you have put, budget, length, reliability ahead of surfing.
Therefore, considering the law of averages and several mathematical algorithms, you might want to look for the most OCD, picky anal owner of a Nautique that was babied and maintained with the greatest attention to detail and perfection that it makes following just the owners manual as reckless abandonment and is willing to give t away

Who is this . I love this guy
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-15-2019, 7:39 AM Reply   
HI guys!
i may be making an offer on a 210TE tonight. the guy wont let me take the boat to a shop to check it out. says not worth the hassle for him, that the boat has so few hours that it will sell anyway (its that one with 220hrs 06'). is that normal?

also, does the 210 and 220 have that full length deep V hull like the tige and avalanche? or does it flatten at the transom? would you guys feel safer in a 220 than the 210 at powell in bad chop?
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-15-2019, 9:25 AM Reply   
Here is what some have said over on planet Nautique:
“if you're mission priority is surfing, then tubing, go 220. The 220 surf wake is really good, maybe one of the best in the lineup, IMHO, the 220 produces one of the better surf wakes in the Nautique lineup. The layout in the 220 is much more roomy than the 210, and the "humps" are very functional.
If you're thinking 210, definitely '07 and newer is the hull you want. Great wakeboard wakes (and much more versatile than the OG 210 hull ie. '95-06, and can surf pretty well.”

“agree with most of the responses here; unless you're super advanced or really picky about your wakeboarding wake the 220 could be a great boat for you. I actually prefer the size and layout (and the trash can) of the 220; but because wakeboarding is my biggest priority I could never own a 220. For a family surfing and tubing an elite pro-level shaped wake shouldn't be your #1 priority, that boat will certainly tow a 5yr old granddaughter. Might consider resale too though; you're going to be reselling to families that tube rather than the core riders market- which could be a good or bad thing, but know that because of its rep even without ever riding it, plenty of people will avoid that boat unfortunately.”

“literally was in this exact same dilemma last summer. The 210 ended up fitting my needs much better, but thats because I am a wakeboarding "family" with two young girls. We primarily wakeboard and for us this was the selling pont of going 210 over the 220.

1st off though as mentioned there was a huge redesign in the 210 from 06-07. You got an entire new boat in 07 with way more room, a much more versitile wake, and a much better riding open water hull. So you are getting way more boat with the 07 with regards to space, ride and design as well as more of a multi-wakesport wake.. I would ditch the 06 210 and go 07-08-09 for the fact you are wanting to surf. its much more of a direct comparison to the 220 The newer hull surfs 10 fold what the older(pre 07) hull did.

In your case wanting to primarily surf I think the 220 would be the ideal ticket. IT has a bit deeper v on the hull. This is better for surfing, but adds to the reason it's weight sensitive for wakeboarding. The boat produces a great wakeboard wake when weighted evenly, you just have to make sure people are in the right spots. The deeper v hull allows the boat to list a little easier for surfing and requires a little less weight to sink the boat down when compared to the 07-13 210. There is no hull change in the 220. However there was a drive train change from 2006-2007. The prop rotation changed. IF you're a regular foot rider (IE surf the passenger side) you will want to focus on the 2007+ 220 because the prop spin will keep that side a little cleaner. IF you're a goofy footed rider then you will want to ideally find an 06. The 220 is goin to have more storage in the rear trunks which is great for the extra ballast you want for surfing. The prices on the 220 are a bit lower because it was a boat that only had a very short run production wise.

The 07 210 is a unique animal It's top deck style was only produced one year. However the hull ran from 07-2013 This is a great barganing chip and the reason you see 07 210's quite a bit cheaper than the 08's. The hump has nothing to do with its rigidity or makes the boat anymore structurally sound. What they are describing is the fact the rear bench portion isn't a straight across, traditional, v-drive style bench. The motor cutout sections it off a bit. The idea behind this was to give passengers a little more leg room in the cockpit when stretched out for cruising. However it shortened the storage compartments in the back and really "chunked up" the seating. It's just personal taste. However being that you want to surf the smaller storage compartments mean less room for extra ballast.

The 220 I think would be an awesome choice in your price range especially because you are more surf oriented than wakeboard oriented.I dont think you're going to come across very many 210's in the sub 40k range. The 220's will be more in your range. 210's still fetch a bit more money. It's somewhat of a tradeoff. You pay less up front for the 220, but if you ever want to try and sell it outright you may take a hit trying to sell it because its not a hugely popular boat. The 210 will cost more up front but it will be easier to unload than the 220 if that's any of your concern. Either the 210 or 220 will pull tubes and get around the lake equally well. Kind of up to you to pick which you like better. Honestly yourself not being a huge wakeboarder, I dont know that it makes a difference which one you actually choose. The surf wakes are pretty comparable as is the performance for family time. I still primarily wakeboard, throw on a ski, and surf the least..... so the 210 was more versatile for me on the wakeboard and ski side. For you on the surf side both boats would be equal. Find a clean, well maintained 220 or 210 and jump on it you wont regret either.”

Hope this helps!
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-18-2019, 6:23 AM Reply   
Rexlex I cant thank you enough. I've got a deposit on a 220 and a test drive this saturday ! Thanks for ALL the awesome details! Its tough buying boats sight unseen . I'll post a photo soon. Thanks all
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-19-2019, 10:54 AM Reply   
Rexlex and EVERYONE, of course. thanks all
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-26-2019, 8:02 AM Reply   
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       08-26-2019, 8:06 AM Reply   
Here she is . ! Man I was so nervous and so excited ! Thanks everyone !
Interesting , the wave was excellent with both rear ballast filled , no belly ballast and a nauticurl shaper. Wish I had taken a pic of that
Attached Images

Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-27-2019, 3:28 PM Reply   
Congratulations! Nice boat.
What year, motor, heater?
Fit in the garage?
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       09-04-2019, 3:38 AM Reply   
Rexlex!
its a 2006 220 te. has a heater though the hoses need some simple repairs.
it barely fits in the garage and we are having fun towing the littles on tubes and kneeboards while we try to dial in the wave!
500lb sacs were already added to the existing stock ballasts in the port and starboard ballasts. we are setting perfect pass to about 10.5 , six people on the boat. the goofy wave is tall smooth and short pocket. the regular wave is tall short and a little bit foamy.

i think we'll try to increase speed a touch and put kids in the bow.
Attached Images

Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       09-06-2019, 1:34 AM Reply   
Congrats on the boat....try some list to the boat. Even with a suck gate shaper on the deeper V hulls having some list can help clean up the wave (noted that you said the regular side has some foam/prop wash). To make the wave longer, bump your speed up to 11mph and and/or add some bow ballast but one you start adding bow ballast you may need to add more overall weight to the boat and wave will just get better.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-06-2019, 2:02 AM Reply   
Why are you not towing from the tower?????
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-06-2019, 3:02 AM Reply   
The 220 is a solid surf hull. With it being a 2006 you’re looking at a right handed prop and a slightly better goofy wave. I’ve only surfed a 220 once. It was a 2006 so same prop rotation. We listed the regular wave a little, used a surf gate, and went slightly faster than the speed we went on goofy but I don’t remember the exact numbers. They were piggybacking 750lb bags in the back and something either in the ski locker or under bow. In my opinion the surf wave was at least on par with anything else that size. Keep in mind anyone offering advice online for a 2007 or later 220 has a left handed prop and the specifics might not work for you.
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       09-06-2019, 3:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
Why are you not towing from the tower?????

just look at everything else thats wrong with this picture, LOL.
our rope was just too short to tow from the tower. but does it make that big of a difference?
Old     (Drbabs)      Join Date: Jul 2019       09-06-2019, 3:29 AM Reply   
HAL and INfinity,
I will try adding a little more to the bow. and have everyone sit on the port side (is that what you mean by list?)
The 52" board im on here must be a little too small. I could not get much push and i kept catching edges. I got that butter bar from a friends recommendation, but he is much more advanced. Its more of a skim style board.
Ill try upping the speed a touch also, we were at 10.5
thanks everyone. Its been a real adventure so far!
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-06-2019, 4:00 AM Reply   
Yes, listing just means adding more weight to one side than the other, causing the boat to lean towards the surfer. Before surf gates, that was the usual way to get the wave to form on one side of the boat. Very generally speaking, listing provides better push while surf gates provide better shape.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-09-2019, 3:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
just look at everything else thats wrong with this picture, LOL.
our rope was just too short to tow from the tower. but does it make that big of a difference?
It's always easier to get up with the rope attached to the tower. It pulls you up instead of dragging you through the water. Either way have fun and enjoy the new boat.
Old     (tige21i)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-26-2020, 11:55 AM Reply   
This thread was like finding gold! I've been looking for something like this for months. I'm about half way saved up to pull the trigger & starting to browse a little more seriously. I grew up on a Tige21i (my dad was a skier) & that kinda turned me off to Tige. My question is why Supra was never mentioned in any of this? I've only browsed online but that price range has a ton of Supra & Moomba's with low hour.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-27-2020, 1:21 AM Reply   
It should have been and normally I would have jumped in and gave my opinion about how the 24V and 24ssv are great boats I just didn't take the time. The 24V is the same exact boat as the 24ssv except all the stickers. UNLESS you find one that had the walk though bow that was only offered on the 24V. You do not want this because you lose the 1000 pound center bag.

The slow fill ballast is the main down side to the 2005 to 2009 supra's but that can be upgraded. I did it and it's not the bad.

I have 3 1,100 ballast bags and 600 pounds of lead all hidden in my boat. It's a really fun wakeboard wake. And with a suck gate on of the better surf waves I've ridden on. It's really long with alot of push.
Old     (tige21i)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-27-2020, 7:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
It should have been and normally I would have jumped in and gave my opinion about how the 24V and 24ssv are great boats I just didn't take the time. The 24V is the same exact boat as the 24ssv except all the stickers. UNLESS you find one that had the walk though bow that was only offered on the 24V. You do not want this because you lose the 1000 pound center bag.

The slow fill ballast is the main down side to the 2005 to 2009 supra's but that can be upgraded. I did it and it's not the bad.

I have 3 1,100 ballast bags and 600 pounds of lead all hidden in my boat. It's a really fun wakeboard wake. And with a suck gate on of the better surf waves I've ridden on. It's really long with alot of push.
Yeah, I always figured I could find some way to upgrade the surf wave or upgrade ballast to suite my wakeboard needs. Some boats that really catch my eye are the Supra Launch 21V & the Moomba XLV Gravity Games edition. Any thoughts on those? I'm only really familiar with the 21' ski boats my dad owned.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-27-2020, 2:19 PM Reply   
Yes I used to ride behind a 21v the same year as my 24v. It was a alright wake just touchy. And I don’t mean just side to side. It’s seemed steep and wide unless your where riding really fast. Like 24.5 to 25.5. I just never liked it. And I never surfed it because when I was riding behind it there wasn’t anything called a wake shaper.

Moomba XLV is a very nice wake and a hull similar to my boat. I would take a XLV in really good shape over the 21v if it was me.

You could look for a Supra 22ssv too. The main difference in size between the 22ssv and 24ssv is in the sun pad area. So you still have a lot of room in the cabin and a much better hull.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-30-2020, 2:40 AM Reply   
I will chime in on the Supra 21V. I have had ours for 10 years now and it has been a great boat. I have not had any major issues with it. Hardly any minor issues, just basic maintenance. The stereo head unit went out a couple of years ago and I repacked the prop.

The wakeboard wake is plenty good enough for myself and crew. I have 1100 in the ski locker and 650s in the rear. I put the wakeplate at 50% and will adjust people in the boat accordingly. The wake typically stays very clean with that setup. Depending on how many people are in the boat I might not fill up the rear sacks. I ride between 22.5-23.5 at 70 feet. Sometimes I will pull it in to 65 feet (getting a little older).

I have not tried wakesurfing behind it yet, so I can not speak to that.
Old     (tige21i)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-10-2020, 1:46 PM Reply   
That's good to hear. Supra just seems to catch my eye, especially the Moomba XLV. Not saying that's all I'm looking at but Supra is about 80% of my saved boat list on onlyinboards.com.