Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-24-2013, 8:02 AM Reply   
Straight forward question.

I guess i should not say idiot as they actually may not know any better.

Do you approach other wakeboarders on the lake if they are doing power turns to pick up riders or surfing zig zag across the lake?

Went out last week and every cove I went to had either a surfer in it or somebody doing powerturns every time a rider fell.

What do y'all do when this happens?
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-24-2013, 8:59 AM Reply   
Find a different place to ride. If the whole place is messed up drop anchor and crack some beers. I'd rather not ride then ride in crappy water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       06-24-2013, 9:14 AM Reply   
Really not worth it... Last time I did it just ended with bad words being said.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-24-2013, 9:15 AM Reply   
Everyone needs an education. If you don't tell them........who will.

Quote:
Really not worth it... Last time I did it just ended with bad words being said.
just keep space. I chased a guy down last weekend. Was jumping my wake over an over WITH ME RIDING. Loved the fact I couldn't see his face the entire time. Ended up having to cut way out and bail. There were no nice words there and it probably wasn't worth it but could get someone killed in a heartbeat.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-24-2013, 9:22 AM Reply   
I always talk to a wakeboarder that is power turning, etc. I have only had a few bad experiences and it probably had more to do with my attitude. If you have a wakeboard and a wakeboard boat, you want good water. Often they don't even realize they are wrecking their own water. If you're calm and pick a good time, they usually appreciate it.

Tubers and other general maniacs, it is best to just yell a little (to make yourself feel better) and remind yourself that they will all be gone after Labor Day.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-24-2013, 9:44 AM Reply   
I have watched these dudes at our lake a few times now try to load the boat. Yesterday they smacked the bow right into the trailer because they had it to deep. I think next time if I see them struggling I might go mention something to them... more for sake of the boat then anything.... LOL....
(One of the joys of having a cabin next to a public launch)
Old    sperbet            06-24-2013, 9:52 AM Reply   
Not really. I sometimes throw my arms up in disgust to let them know I'm pissed if they are doing some really inconsiderate. I have left a note on a persons windshield before though.
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-24-2013, 10:12 AM Reply   
Josh is right. Most of the time it ends up being a yelling match and the idiots just continue to be idiots. I do get really mad when a boat comes and parks in a line I have been running all morning or when a jetski or tuber comes into a cove and cuts up good water when they could be in the middle of the lake doing that.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-24-2013, 10:24 AM Reply   
I almost always say something but start with "not trying to be a know it all but......" and end it on a light note. My experience is that about half listen but still do the same crap driving and about a third think you are a douche and start passive aggressively doing something to piss you off more. lol
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-24-2013, 10:31 AM Reply   
We've actually had good luck on our lake educating most people. You'll never get everyone. There's always a renter or public launch person who's not going to know. We've found that offering to take people skiing or boarding on our boat tends to open them up to some education. Most of our problems exist with our slalom course. A few stubborn fisherman and people running over the buoys. Mostly we just try to approach people as kindly as possible. Kill em with kindness, introduce yourself, and then try to educate them.

A constant battle none the less but people do not like being told what to do on the water. Even me! haha
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-24-2013, 10:59 AM Reply   
Mine have been about fifty/fifty good to bad responses. I like to start with "hey, nice boat, what kind is it..." or something like that. then dive into the nitty-gritty (and not the dirt band).

i am full of sweet power-turner pick up lines...

ps- when i had a boat... I try not to ride on weekends or between the hours of 9-5. This helped the most.
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       06-24-2013, 8:02 PM Reply   
At the risk of being chastised I've only been boarding about 5 times owning my own boat and learned on this forum not to power turn. I'm now teaching my gf when pulling me to slow down and let the wake pass her then slowly turn around without making a wake to come retrieve me. But I can see how if someone came up to us yelling not to make a power turn that I'd get defensive, especially if my gf was driving.and did it because she was worried about taking water over the stern or bow which ive told her not to do. I try to understand some people may be learning.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       06-25-2013, 6:58 AM Reply   
This Is definitely a touchy subject. I have been a boater all my life (I'm 45) and just learned the why of not power turning from this forum in 2010. When I was a kid, we did power turns, that is what I learned and continued to do until the obvious was explained. Now, the problem is pulling this off on the lake. I have not tried it yet but I think the "Not trying to be a know-it-all..." Suggested by Gene seems like a good approach. I have had plenty of discussions with other boaters that start with something like throwing my hands up...they never go anywhere productive. :-)
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-25-2013, 7:06 AM Reply   
I just keep to myself and avoid the wahooos. I havent been to the lake on a weekend in over 4 years. Do my best not to let it get to me, but we all know how frustrating it can be....

I tried keeping a handful of the "friends dont let friends power turn" stickers in my truck and hand them out to people. Gave a few to guys I saw on the ramp, told em to pass it on. Never stuck with it.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-25-2013, 7:52 AM Reply   
I don't in most cases but have when I see a family struggling trying to learn. I tend to get a little too rammy with the idiots, that said, some of my crew have. It's been unfortunate because even going up to someone that shares property on the same lake with a respectful and polite attitude doesn't always garner results. The one dude's an insurance broker and his family has been the crazy seadoo for a long time.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       06-25-2013, 8:17 AM Reply   
Nobody likes advice w/o the ability to see/experience the difference. I got really good driving advice from a buddy - lucky me ... But I still needed a first season on our lake to understand that it's easier to take turns instead of just throwing ropes and start chopping the water up for someone who's already out there ... In the end - it's mostly public land/water (yes there are a few with private lakes but I guess the size will usually limit the amount of boats etc. on it anyway) - so you gotta share - chilling with a beer instead of yelling keeps my blood pressure down too
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-25-2013, 9:55 AM Reply   
Yelling, throwing your arms in the air, flipping off, etc... never ends particularly well for either party. Maybe some momentary satisfaction at best. My wife was towing me the one day and when we got into the back of the cove there just happened to be a wakesurfing boat in the middle getting ready to pull someone. She panicked in the moment, and ended up circling them and throwing all sorts of wakes. It sucked, she felt bad, but she was nervous and did her best to make a move that was at least safe. The guy on the boat got pissed and threw his arms up with an obvious attitude. Can I entirely blame him? No, not really. However, it would be difficult to defuse the situation. What can I/we say that will calm him down? In the end, **** happens. Don't let honest mistakes, naivety or ignorance ruin your day or upset you. A day on the lake is still better than a day at the office. Suck it up and let the wakes pass for a minute.

The only time you are allowed to chastise someone is if they do something dangerous and put you or your family's safety at risk.