Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (evadehickman)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-23-2009, 11:07 PM Reply   
We have some friends considering property near Jenkinson Lake outside of Placerville in the Sly Park area. Anyone know much about this spot for wakeboarding?
Old    murrayair            10-24-2009, 9:24 PM Reply   
Yeah, that's my home lake! Not the greatest spot for wakeboarding most of the season. It's small, so all it takes are a couple of boats to chop up the water, and there are always more than just a couple of boats out. Also, the drivers on Jenkinson (known locally as Sly Park, hence my s/n) are particularly bad. I mean BAD. I am, no joke, the only driver out there that doesn't power turn (ok, there might be like one other boat, but that's it).

That being said, it is a b-e-a-utiful lake to ride on, or just hang out on. There are some great hiking trails that go all the way around the lake. If you know the right time of the day, week and year to ride, you can find some nice stretches of glass.

Basically, it's a great lake, just not in the summer. It's always been home to me, and I love it! Anything else you want to know?

(Message edited by murrayair on October 24, 2009)
Old     (evadehickman)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-26-2009, 6:13 AM Reply   
Do you notice a difference in boat traffic weekdays vs. weekends in the summer?

How about fishermen - are there many and do they frown on us boarders?

Thanks for the info - and I'll be up there this summer periodically if you'd like a pull.
Old    murrayair            10-26-2009, 5:55 PM Reply   
Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays are usually not good at all for riding until about 30mins before sunset or before 8am. There are just too many family boats out on the weekend, but it's lots of fun to just hang out on the boat with friends and family.

Monday-Thursday are usually not too bad during the summer, but it never gets 100% smooth (at least after about 8am) because of how small the lake is. Like I said above, it only takes a couple of power-turning drivers to chop up the water. You should be fine unless you're super picky, especially after about 6-7pm, and even if you are picky, you can get glass if you wake up early enough. I hate waking up early, so I'm rarely out there before 10am.

Fishermen are pretty cordial. If you respect them, they'll respect you. Most of them hang out up in the 5mph zone, and the ones who fish in the main part of the lake usually stay out of the best wakeboarding lines. I've never had a problem with any of them. The biggest problem Sly Park has is tubers and pontoon boats. None of them have an ounce of common sense.

Overall, it's not a bad lake most of the time. I grew up on it, so I love it. All fellow wakeboarders are definitely welcome! If you see a blue and white '92 Supra Conbrio with a white tower when you're up here, feel free to stop and say hi!
Old     (evadehickman)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-26-2009, 9:29 PM Reply   
Thanks so much for all the info, Mark! That is actually quite helpful. It sounds a lot like Bass Lake, where my wife grew up. I don't mind getting up early, but that's not necessarily true for the other people in my group.

Anyway, we'll probably be up there this summer for at least a week and try to ride on the weekdays as much as we can. We're typically on the delta where butter is easy to find, so I hate to say it, but we have probably gotten too picky.

I'll keep an eye out for your boat. We'll probably be there in late July. Red and white Sanger 215, silver tower.

Thanks again for all of the information!
Old    murrayair            10-26-2009, 10:36 PM Reply   
No problem! I'll keep an eye out for you.