Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       10-22-2009, 11:02 AM Reply   
OK... so after riding about 5 sets in early August my right shoulder was sore as hell the next day. I ride regular so that isn't really my critical arm but I did ride switch a lot that day. The next day I couldn't throw a baseball 15' my shoulder was so messed up. I figured since I didn't suffer an injury I felt it was probably just strained so I didn't go to the doctor. After about 3 weeks it wasn't much better at all. I took 1 solid week off from lifting weights and boarding--- no better. So, now it has been well over two months and I am still having issues. I can lift heavy in the gym but am in constant shoulder pain. My shoulder hurts VERY bad when I do movements similar to a butterfly swim stroke, or take my right arm and try to rotate it upward right up against my body OR reach into my truck's back seat or stuff like that... Also, a throwing movement causes bad pain when my arm is at its highest position only- when my hand is above my head. Side arm isn't much of an issue. Anyone have any ideas of what this injury could be? I know I should go to the doctor but am wondering if 4 weeks of no gym or boarding may be in order to see if it get any better. I previously had a strained rotator cuff and it hurt worst and all I was told was to lay off the weights for a month.

I am trying to avoid my doctor- he is packed with people with the flu and I sure don't want that!
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-22-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
Sounds like a rotator cuff injury. You might want to go see an ortho.
Old     (boutwell_43)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-22-2009, 11:09 AM Reply   
My buddy had the same symptoms....Sounds like a torn rotator cuff. Maybe not though....I would definitely get it checked out, so that if it is torn you don't mess it up any more than it is. Good Luck with it.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-22-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
+2 on the rotator cuff. Don't f around and go take care of it. Most minor injury of my life that ended up being the worst for recovery.
Old     (hp_inc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-22-2009, 11:45 AM Reply   
Definitely get it checked. If it is a tear, it will not heal on its own. Go see your doctor and get an MRI. I did the same thing as you and tried to wait it out. It never got better. I just had surgery 3 weeks ago and it ended up that I had a torn rotator cuff, torn labrum, and torn bicep tendon all from boarding. It is definitely not fun, but you will be better off in the long run. At least if you go to the doc he can tell you if it is a major problem or if time will heal it. Good luck and hop you are riding again soon.
Old     (k2rider2690)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-22-2009, 11:49 AM Reply   
yeh i had something similar but my shoulder would keep popping out...i tore something and also stretched some ligaments...i had to get surgery to fix it
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       10-22-2009, 12:07 PM Reply   
Thanks, I am actually still riding now and plan to ride all weekend. It really isn't bothering me too much while boarding. It is strange-- it hurts my shoulder when I do heavy bicep curls at the gym. During chest workouts it hurts at the beginning then goes away after I get warm BUT hurts like hell the day after the workout.

I am getting it checked tomorrow but doubt I'll get an MRI tomorrow. That will probably be next week. Hopefully, it is just strained.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-22-2009, 12:14 PM Reply   
Get it checked skull and I'm speaking from experience. Like everyone said, could be rotator cuff, laybrum(sp), bone spurs, arthritis, etc. I had the same thing in my right arm 8 years ago. Ended up being torn tendon, arthritis in the rotator cuff and a torn bicep. Had it happen to my left shoulder about 4 years ago, which ended up being arthritis and torn laybrum. Happened again to my right shoulder last year. Went with 2 epidurhals, and 2 cortisone injections which didn't do much good. Had an xray done this summer and it showed enough that they didn't have to do an MRI. I had absolutely no gap between the arm and shoulder which was causing huge bone spurs. Unfortunately for me the only option was a partial shoulder replacement of the ball side only. I probably shouldn't have waited as long as I did on all the shoulder problems. Get in and see someone to minimize the damage and recovery time. You'll be glad you did.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       10-23-2009, 3:35 PM Reply   
I had an MRI today and it is only a strained ligament! No surgery. They want me to go to physical therapy. My doc was pretty sure it was torn but I got lucky I guess. Said not a good idea to wakeboard but didn't prohibit it 100%. I figure I can ride the last couple weeks of my season and take it easy. NO SURGERY! I did get lit up $428 for the MRI (and that was WITH insurance). Looks like duck season is on too... I was more upset with the thought of missing that!
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-23-2009, 4:28 PM Reply   
Rob, could be an irritated tendon sleeve. It stays irritated and swollen under normal use so it never heals. Have the doc hit it with cortisone and play within your ability for a few weeks and you'll be good as new.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       10-25-2009, 6:33 AM Reply   
These steroids (prednisone tabs) are like a damn miracle drug!!! My shoulder almost feels good as new and I am only on day 2 of my steroid treatment. This things has been killing me since Aug 6 and last night I had almost no pain. Amazing.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-25-2009, 7:40 AM Reply   
Prednisone is some good stuff. Good to hear you didn't have anything serious with your shoulder.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       10-25-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
Glad you went and got it checked out. I had a broken bone in my shoulder for 16 months before I got it fixed. Worst 16 months of my life physically.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       10-25-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
The worst part was the $428 I had to pay for the damn MRI!!!! That sucks.