Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-02-2014, 3:32 PM Reply   
When I put the boat in gear (2008 malibu 247 with a 383 hammerhead, by the way) and barely idle forward, such as when docking and such, I hear a slight grinding noise. It sounds as if the prop shaft isn't lubricated well, or just rubbing against something. However, once I give it a little bit more throttle it goes away and is quiet as can be. It doesn't sound like any gear grinding, but rather the drive shaft or prop shaft or something rubbing against something else. Any ideas? Thanks everyone.
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-02-2014, 3:43 PM Reply   
Check your damper/flex plate.
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-02-2014, 4:26 PM Reply   
Also check your packing. My boat had the same problem, I tightened up the packing gland and it went away.
Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-02-2014, 4:28 PM Reply   
Thanks- I will check both. I just thought of another question. The front nav light isn't working, im assuming the bulb is burnt out or possibly a fuse. Do you know what kind of bulb malibu uses? It is a flip-up light.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-02-2014, 7:02 PM Reply   
How do you check the damper plate without pulling the engine??
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-02-2014, 7:10 PM Reply   
Wooden dowel on the bell housing and your ear.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-02-2014, 11:06 PM Reply   
Sounds like a bad Fetzer valve.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-03-2014, 6:52 AM Reply   
When flex plates (damper) crack they make a hell of a lot of noise.. loader with increased power... It sounds to me like the bilateral simplex control shaft is out of alignment....
Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-03-2014, 7:59 AM Reply   
Do you recommend checking and aligning these myself? Or would a marina do it for a reasonable price? We are mechanically inclined but if it's not too much I would just prefer to have it professionally done.