Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-22-2010, 3:15 PM Reply   
I have a huge list of mod's that I'm doing to the new boat. Not that it really needs to much done, they thought of almost everything. However, how is anything really yours unless you personalize it. So now that I figured out how to resize my pic's, I'll try to take pic's as I go.

So here's the list so far, I'm sure I'll still add to it along the way.

WS-420, Wetsounds EQ. This thing is sweet. I mounted it under the throttle. It turned out really nice, but now I took it back out to install an HSE.

HSE, Also a sweet addition. It's going to be soooo nice to have a "Perfect Pass" for the stereo.

2nd Heater, I have 2 little ones, and a girl that's got ice in her veins. I'm moving the heater outlet on the back drivers side, to the walk through area. My last boat was set-up like that, and it threw a ton of heat. I'm also installing a 2nd heater in the storage area under the stereo. That one will feed 2 vents that I'm installing in the dash next to the stereo, and a hot tube by the cup holders by the passengers feet.

Trash hole, There was a big hole where the rear hot tube used to be, so I called heatercraft. There sending me, just the mounting flange for a hot tube. I'm going to install it, and tie a garbage bag to that. Hopefully it'll look nice, otherwise my buddy said he would make me one out of stainless.

3rd Batt, That's going in the drivers side rear, by the soap pump. I want 2 batts for the stereo.

3 Batt onboard charger, I'm mounting that on that rear deck behind the engine. I'm still looking for a thru hull adapter that I like.

Glove box spring

2, 1 farad capacitors, 1 for each amp.

Trailer LED's, My trailer didn't come with LED's, That's not cool at all.

Guide pole pads, I got these from Skyski. $40 with shipping.

Boat Buddy, I cut some trailer bunk carpeting to cover it, but I couldn't get the glue to stick. So I'm still working on it.

Dynamat, I covered the whole right side of the boat. It was pretty funny. After having the boat for about a week, my girl came home to find all the seatbacks, and panels torn out. The look on her face was priceless. She said, "you just can't leave anything alone, can you". She couldn't believe how soon I started to "modify" it.

FAE, The boat is just too loud without one.

Hydrofoil rack, I swapped out the drivers side rack for a Samson swivel foil rack.

Surf/Wake rack, Swapped it out.

Cooler seal, I found some thing foam for that. we'll see how that holds up.

7-way plug, I changed out the plug on the trailer. Now I don't need an adapter for my truck.

Heater blanket, Not really a mod, but pretty sweet just the same. It's one of those waterproof, fleece lined blankets you strap the hot tube into. I got it from Heatercraft. They gave me a deal, but it was still way overpriced. I think I might have my mom sew me a bigger one, now that I see how there made.

I'm kicking around maybe making a filler seat for the front. My boys love to hang out up there. I don't know if it's going to happen though.

I also want to figure out a way to get the cooler to drain out all the way.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-05-2010, 10:06 PM Reply   
I got the 2nd heater 1/2 way installed. I took some pic's of where I want to install the vents in the dash. I think I'll sleep on it before I cut the holes though.

I ordered a hot tube flange to use as a garbage hole. But I noticed that a cup holder fits in it really nice. I'm going to see if I can modify it to make it work.

I started looking for the perfect place to mount the caps. Nothing looks right. I think I might have to move my amps up 2". These things are really turning into a pain in the butt.
Attached Images

Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-07-2010, 10:50 AM Reply   
Anyone know if wetsounds ws650's will fit in place of the kicker components on the transom or are they too deep?
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-07-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
Pretty sure they went straight in.
Attached Images

Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-07-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
next time you see your boat could you look at them from the inside and let me know if they had to cut any of the fiberglass. I know the kickers are right up against the fiberglass on the inside of the engine bay and they list at a mounting depth of 2 7/8" without the crossovers. I believe the crossovers are mounted to them though so that would put them at a little over 3". To replace the woofers/tweeters did the just fab up a piece for you? How did they install that then? That setup looks awesome.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-07-2010, 6:27 PM Reply   
I wil for sure check that next time. For the tweets and subs that were in the middle he just fab'd a new plate and stuck it over the existing one. I am really impressed with it it looks good and sounds great too.

Do you guys notice the swim step difference? look at the right side compared to the left. Notice the gap between the step and trim piece on the left compared to the right.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-26-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
haha well put Nic. Im not necessarily looking to gain top speed I just hate the noise. I dont like to red-line it either but when I accidentally do the beeping pushed my buttons haha. I watch rpm anyways so there isnt much need for it. Theres no way I would sacrifice the hole-shot that thing has for top speed. Thats why we have two donzis =D
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-26-2010, 6:39 PM Reply   
Here are some pic's of the batteries. The one closest to the rear is the stereo batt. This is the one with a bunch of connections for all kinds of stuff like the amps, and the distribution blocks. The one in the front is the starting batt. They both use ring terminals for everything.
Attached Images

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-26-2010, 6:40 PM Reply   
I forgot to mention that I have an on board batt charger hooked up. So disregard the orange, and yellow wires.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-26-2010, 8:44 PM Reply   
Thanks for the pics Joe! This helps me figure out what type of connectors I need.

I am going to try to stuff 3 of these guys into that compartment to power just the accessories/stereo. Going to be a very tight fit. Hopefully I can get them all crammed in there.

The two original batteries that came with the boat are being relocated to the boot luber compartment and will be used as the crank batteries. Wish me luck!
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-26-2010, 8:45 PM Reply   
Also, do you know off the top of your head if the amplifiers are grounded all the way back to the battery negative?
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-27-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
One more quick thing....could you by chance tell me how wide and tall the area is under the driver's feet? Also how deep is from where the walkthrough panel starts to the inside of the driver's feet area?

What I am trying to do is plan out a subwoofer box that will fit under there and not hang past that walkthrough panel. Here are my proposed dimensions:
16"H x 25"W x 8.5"D
Maybe it would be easier to just tell me if that would fit under there and not hang out

I should owe you a case of beer or something haha

Last edited by _vitty_; 03-27-2010 at 7:39 AM.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-27-2010, 4:37 PM Reply   
Nic, I believe they are grounded back. It would be stupid to run 2 - 4 ga wires for the power, and not ground it properly. I'll double check it though.

I really don't think your going to get 3 of those in that hole. Your also going to have a hard time fitting the 2 stock batteries on the other side. I think you might be forgetting about the steering cable that runs through the middle of it.

I'll measure for you tomorrow.

Check your messages
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-27-2010, 9:16 PM Reply   
Thanks Joe!
My final box dimensions are 16"H x 25"W x 10"D for when you measure.

I had some rough dimensions of the battery compartment on an old note from last fall. I had 17" wide, 18" long, and a battery less than 10" tall would work. Based on those dimensions I believe I can squeeze 3 of the d2700's in, but we shall see when the time comes. The batteries will be here this coming week, but I think its going to be another week or two before the boat comes out of storage.

As far as moving the two batteries to the other compartment, I am just going off of Greg at Epic saying that the compartment on that side is the same size as the battery compartment. I think I only briefly looked in there once. Worse comes to worse, 1 battery should fit over there and that should suffice for a starting batt.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-28-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
Joe,
Check out the Hellroaring products for battery isolator/combiners http://www.hellroaring.com/marine.php

I have been reading that they do not cause the voltage drop that is inherent with diode style isolators(surepower 1314). The more I read up on isolating the two banks of batteries I have the more I become confused.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-28-2010, 7:40 PM Reply   
I don't think the 1314 is a diode style isolator. I think it's a relay style. I'm pretty sure the stock isolator on our boats is the diode style. I could be wrong though, it happened 1 other time.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-28-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
I think you are correct on it being a relay style versus a diode style. Good call. I'm so f'ing confused with all this.....

Latest thought is to get a 1314-200(in case I upgrade the alternator) and hook my battery banks up the same as you. I would also then see if I can rig up a solar power option for an onboard charger.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-29-2010, 5:59 AM Reply   
Nic, I think you'll be happy with the Pro Sport 20. I got one last fall, and installed it on that shelf below the subs in the rear. The grey tubing is just some wire wrap I put on the thru-hull for the boot lubber. That way if water ever gets in there, it won't splash right on the charger.

I cleaned up the wires since the pic also. That was mid install.
Attached Images

Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-29-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
After all is said and done I think I have finally settled on a Hellroaring BIC-95150B. They are more expensive, but after talking with Mike Hines at Hellroaring he has given me the most confidence that this will do the job for me and do it well. He knows his stuff, answers my questions clearly and concisely, and most of all he layed out a system configuration for me that is both easy to understand and won't run into ANY hiccups unlike some that I might have ran into with the SurePower 1314.

Joe, if you want me to send you the email conversation I had with him shoot me your email addy. These really sound like the no hassles, install once and forget about it solution we are looking for.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-29-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
Batteries came today. Here is how they will be arranged in the battery compartment.
They measure 13 1/4" wide, 18 3/4" long, and about 9" tall with battery posts on them.
Hope they fit in the compartment

Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-01-2010, 5:47 PM Reply   
Got the custom piece for the transom made. Here it is in raw material form, no holes or paint yet.

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-02-2010, 8:41 PM Reply   
I've been pretty busy the last few days working on the boat. I made a lot of progress though. I gat the second heater installed and all the wiring, hoses, and vents installed. I also moved the rear right vent to the walk-thru area. In the walk-thru pick, you can see the channel that we made to hold the wind dam. The wind dam itself isn't done yet, but the channels that it'll slide into are done, and installed.
Attached Images

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-02-2010, 8:45 PM Reply   
The dash vents were pretty hard. I used a 1/4" air ratchet to drill the pilot holes, but I had to hand drill the 3" holes. It took a while, but it turned out perfect.
Attached Images

Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-07-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
Getting my boat out of storage today!! Then the fun begins
Old     (DMA)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-12-2010, 10:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by _vitty_ View Post
Getting my boat out of storage today!! Then the fun begins
Nic-

Talked with Colin aka/Twitch today and he said you wanted the paint code for your Epic. You will have to take a piece that you cut out to your boat. The take it to your local body shop and have them match the paint for you. If you want to spray it yourself then find the location of the company that supply’s the body shop with paint and have them mix you up some.

Shane
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-08-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
Nice work, Joe! Looks great.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-18-2010, 7:56 PM Reply   
I got a lot done this weekend. I finished installing the caps. Finished the wind dam. Finished installing the panel with HSE, and the WS420. Vacuumed the boat. Cleaned and sprayed the seats down with Babe's.
Attached Images

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-01-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
Twitch, did you get yours in the water yet? I can't wait to hear about the trim tabs.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-10-2010, 10:10 PM Reply   
Guys- Does your sea temp (aka- water temp) guage work? It's listed on the same screen as the air temp which works just fine, but my 'sea temp' always says 'off' and I cannot seem to figure out how to turn in 'on'?
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-11-2010, 7:18 AM Reply   
Mine works, but I'm not really up to speed on the gauge functions yet. I haven't gotten out enough yet.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-13-2010, 6:24 AM Reply   
Thanks Shane! My budget didn't allow me to use you guys unfortunately or I would have in a heartbeat. You do excellent work!
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-13-2010, 6:27 AM Reply   
What do you all use to clean the foam flooring on our boats? Mine is getting absolutely filthy during my install. It is just the standard grey so I'm sure it shows dirt a lot more than the camo print.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-13-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
I got the 3rd batt installed. I ended up using some 3M 5200, and glued down a piece of aluminum to mount the batt tray to. It went well, but I realized that there isn't nearly as much room in the drivers side rear hole as I thought. There's 3 big ballast hose's, the pump and contoller for the trim tab, and the biggest space hog of all, the steering cable. The problem, that I didn't realize at first, is that the cable has to swing a little when you steer. So it ends up taking up a lot of room. You can see it in the pic's.

I'm not quite done yet. I had to order 1 more fuse holder like the one in the pic.
Attached Images

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-13-2010, 7:36 PM Reply   
I installed the surepower 1314, and I got a manual disconnect switch so I could manually separate the start, and stereo banks during shore charging. I also got a thru-hull connector for the 3 bank Promariner battery charger. Everything went really well. I'm happy with the install.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-13-2010, 7:38 PM Reply   
The pic's didn't work on that one.
Attached Images

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-13-2010, 7:44 PM Reply   
I started installing the caps yesterday. I got as far as figuring out how I wanted to run the wires, and where to mount them and the distribution blocks. It's pretty hard for me to get inside the cubby hole under the radio. so I had to make a template out of cardboard that I could drill through. I'm hoping to get them done tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-15-2010, 8:46 AM Reply   
Does the epic have a battery disconnect anywhere. My Malibu had a perko switch to turn the batteries off when it was stored. My Epic sat all winter and now the brand new batteries dont seem to be holding a charge. Am I missing it somewhere?
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-16-2010, 3:49 AM Reply   
No stock disconnect. Did you have a float charger on them over the winter? If not, they might have froze. No big deal, they have a warranty.
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-16-2010, 7:09 AM Reply   
No I did not charge them. Where do I take them for warranty replacement?
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-16-2010, 8:02 PM Reply   
You have to find a local dealer. I forgot what brand they are. Take your boat paperwork with you so you can prove how old they are.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-18-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
My original list grew along the way, but I got it all done except for the garbage hole. I'm still looking for a way to make it look right. I'm really happy with the way everything turned out.
Old    ScottRobinson            04-19-2010, 7:03 PM Reply   
Hey Joe, your wind dam is SICK!! I may call you and have you build and ship one to me.!! I will find out if EPIC did anything about this and let you know. If not I will either ask how you made it or ask you TO make it. =)
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-20-2010, 7:00 AM Reply   
Joe- nicely done, on all of it!

Sounds like our weekends were a bit similar, we got our wind dam done as well and gave the Epic our thorough 'pre-season' cleaning. This is the first time we have ever used Exquisite upholstry cleaner...WOW! Followed that up with some babe's and it was all good.

I also used the Exquisite to clean the rubber flooring and it worked great too. It didn't seem like it would hurt the rubber flooring, but please correct me if you guys think otherwise.

Scott-
Here's what I did for our wind dam and what I would suggest. Call Scott @ Samson Sports (same company that manufactures our Razor towers on the Epics). Let him know that you are doing with I did for a wind dam. The channeling is the same channeling that is on our towers that the bimini tops slide up and down along in.

Let Scott know you want the following-
(2) 24" channeling with 4 counter-sunk holes drilled in them and have him round off and router both the top and bottom edges to ensure people don't scratch or cut themselves when walk by the rails from the bow to the back of the boat.
(8) 3/4 stainless screws.
If he asks about the rubber stoppers that he sent me, advise him they are not needed

I installed them straight down from the windsheild. Pre-drill your mounting holes and obviously make sure thing are straight and the two rails are in line with each other. You will notice that from the floor to the bottom of the windshield is more like 28" or so, stick with the 24" rails to compensate for the curve at the bottom where the sidewalls meet the floor.

Once the rails were installed, I took my boat to a plexiglass shop and had him cut & fab me a 3/4 peice of plexi to fit exactly. Make sure that he makes it as snug as possible up top to seal using the rubber seal that is on the bottom of the windshield. I got my Epic emblem that Joe and I have on ours from my Epic dealer.

Total cost of wind dam-

$25 for channeling fab, screws, holes drilled including shipping (samson sports)
$45 for Plexiglass
$45 for custom fab and fit of plexiglass

Total= $115

Attached are some pics, some of the pics were taken 'before' we gave it it's pre-season cleaning so you will see some dirt and grime in the backround :-)

Did I mention...Exquisite...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, when I was done cleaning the boat I walked around my garage looking for vinyls, plastic, rubbers that I could shoot and clean, (kids bikes, seats, chairs, my rubber boots, etc) this stuff is amazing...
Attached Images

Last edited by usostyle; 04-20-2010 at 7:05 AM.
Old    ScottRobinson            04-20-2010, 7:15 AM Reply   
Very cool!...thanks for all the info! Haven't talk to Gary yet to see if Epic has done anything about this on the 2011 yet. Love the fact that you guys can do all this. AMAZING! You guys are KICK ASS !
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-20-2010, 2:35 PM Reply   
Ice, very, very nice!
They definitely cut yours a lot cleaner then mine. I had to use a jig saw, and some sand paper.
How much did you dealer charge you for that sticker? I need one for the front of mine. The one I have, I got in a care package.

Just to give you guys a little sneak preview, w/o pic's of course. I got some 1/4" aluminum, about a month ago, that I gave to my machinist buddy.
He hasn't had time between jobs yet, but he's going to cut and polish two big "Epic" decals out of it for me. They'll be 4 1/2" x 36". That's the exact scale of the smaller 1 1/2 x 12 sticker on the tower. I'm going to mount them on the gunnel between the tower and the rear hatches. They're going to be a "fancy" place to step. I'm really excited about them. The wait is killing me.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-20-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
Joe-

Thanks, we are happy with the way it turned out. I got the sticker emblem from my dealer, he just gave me a couple. email me your address and I'll send you the other one that I have.

Regarding the 'fancy' step plates, stealing a line from Gatorade....

"That's G"...that's all I can say. Are you going to put some grip tape on the top of them? Can't wait to see them...
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-20-2010, 3:51 PM Reply   
No grip tape. Don't want to mess up the clean look. Besides, I have to balance and agility of a jungle cat.

Really though, they're going to be 1/4" thick, and cut out like the sticker. Should be plenty of toe grip there.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-21-2010, 5:21 PM Reply   
Finally finished my filler panel for the transom speakers. Here it is from start to finish.

Raw board

Raw board cut for 4 wet sounds xs-650's

Raw board with speakers placed in

Final product painted panel, with notches for the speaker connections

Final product other view

Last edited by _vitty_; 04-21-2010 at 5:23 PM.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-21-2010, 5:49 PM Reply   
Nice dude!

I don't know if you noticed, but there's a big rat in some of your pic's
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-21-2010, 7:10 PM Reply   
Thanks man! Going to install it tomorrow. Will snap some pics once its on tomorrow night.

Where did you get those heater vent flange assemblies that match the oem ones?
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-22-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
Joe- Emblem is in the mail, should be there on Monday. I also sent you a few Orange Epic stickers you may like. Let me know once you get them to make sure they made it to you.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-22-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
Hey ICE,

Any way you would be willing to send me a template for that wind dam so I could bring it to my local plastics company to make a plexi piece. Love what you did there. let me know
Thanks
Nic
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-22-2010, 4:57 PM Reply   
Ice, I'll let you know for sure. Thank's again!

Nic, Call Danny at Heatercraft 208-687-4400. He's super cool, and will take care of you for sure.

Ice and Nic, I wish I had a template too! that wind dam was a pain in the rear to cut out.
Old     (younguns44)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-22-2010, 7:08 PM Reply   
looks awesome nice work
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-22-2010, 8:06 PM Reply   
Thanks Joe!

I installed the panel this evening after work along with the 4 wet sounds in it. Man what a pain in the ass that was. Looks awesome though now that it's on and the speakers are in. I will take some pictures tomorrow. It got too dark by the time I finished.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-22-2010, 9:39 PM Reply   
Nic-

I'll take measurements of the plexi tomorrow or saturday and send it to you. Are you going to get the channeling from scott @ samson sports? If so, I will measure it as if you do not need those notch cutouts on the bottom of the glass like mine. If I was to install the wind dam again, I would not use the black plastic stoppers on the bottom of the channeling. I had Scott send me the plastic rounded stoppers so people wouldn't catch or snag the bottom of the channeling when they walked through the walkthru. However, after seeing how Scott fabbed the top of the channeling, it is angled and smooth enough to where if I would have had him do the same smooth angle on the bottom, it would eliminate the need for the black stoppers. This way, your plexi doesnt have to have those little notches on the bottom and will prob save you $ on the plexi fab labor. I would just have scott make each end of the channeling angled and smooth instead of using the black plastic stoppers on the bottom. Does that make sense?
Old     (dachbr)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-23-2010, 2:51 AM Reply   
Nice work Nic. I used the same procedure when I removed the 8 Clarions and Installed the 10 Inch HLCD NVS Addictions in our Epic. I also changed the Clarion transom amp to a Tru-Technology. We put over 100 hours on it last year and it works great. With our pre-Kicker system there is an 11 inch space from the speaker to the speaker cover (which I added a plastic mesh on the inside) so water to the speaker has not been a problem for us "YET".

A few other things we've done; Our boat was an early '08 with a rough dull gelcoat. I spent a lot of time removing the factory graphics, wetsanding and adding good ole' redneck tribal graphics.

I added a grab rail for the swim platform and a tow hook. We do slalom behind this boat and the 8.1 can pull a bunch of tubes.

Lastly I added trailer frame extensions to assist with getting in and out of the boat when on the trailer.

Great thread with lots of mods I plan to do!
Attached Images

Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-23-2010, 6:26 AM Reply   
Thanks Dale! Your boat is looking awesome. I really like that tow hook you put in the back for tubers. You should snap a picture of what you did inside the hull for that.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-23-2010, 6:26 AM Reply   
Here is a quick phone snapshot of the plate installed on the transom from last night.

Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-23-2010, 6:46 AM Reply   
Dale-

Great work! We are actually in the infant stages of making an assist step as well. I love what you did with yours, how does it work for you? Attached is a pic of a metal plate that we fabbed. We were thinking to make it removable with a pull pin and maybe mount it to the outside or front of the guide pole. LIke I said though, very early stages. I really like the ones you did, functional? is it wide enough that people don't slip on it or fold their sandals over it when they step up? Any things would do different if you were to do it again?

Here are some pics of our step, very 'rough' stages, obviously if we ended up using it, we would powder the top red and use black grip tape on top and etch out the Epic emblem so the step was all black with Epic in red (like the Epic emblem on the Pacific trailers).
Attached Images

Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-23-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
Nic-

Nicely done!
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
Nic Vit's old speakers - thanks Nic! Yes, I still have holes to fill, you can see I used to have the grills on there and I still have to wet sand. BUT I do have those subwoofer eclosures I have built, pics on another camera, that will cover those tiny holes and led strip rust stains.
Attached Images

Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
1 more pic of the graphic - with the exception of the banner, both sides are different as we put these on seperately in a collage fashion.
Attached Images

Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2010, 1:11 PM Reply   
Alrighty Joe, I'm here and very impressed with the mods everyone is doing.

Here's what I have guys and I need to know your interest. I am working with a couple of manufacturers right now on getting some things completed that will benefit us.

1. gunnel pads - I have measured and completed a cad drawing for the ginormous gunnels we have and all I have to do is buy it. I had templates but I don't think they survived our latest hurricane here on the gulf coast. I am willing to get them to make more templates but I would like to know who is interested so I can let them know as well. And I mean a serious interest. They are a good fit on my '07 but I will need to find an '09 owner to test the new templates.

2. Fold down swim platform bracket. I do believe we are past the initial design phase of this project and I am waiting to hear back on current progress. I hope to have a prototype ready very soon, again I am waiting to hear back. The idea will be that the swim platform will slide out and then fold down to make it easier to back into storage as well as provide more space in your storage unit/garage. I also need to justify to them to further this endeavor. Please let me know your interests by PM, I do not want to hijack this thread, unless you guys are ok with posting up here.

Glad to see I am not the only one trying to innovate and personalize the EPIC!

Fred
Old     (txaggie929)      Join Date: May 2011       05-25-2011, 8:00 PM Reply   
Has anything ever developed with the fold-down swim platform design? I'd def be interested as I now have to build a shelter for my Epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olmoomba View Post
Alrighty Joe, I'm here and very impressed with the mods everyone is doing.

2. Fold down swim platform bracket. I do believe we are past the initial design phase of this project and I am waiting to hear back on current progress. I hope to have a prototype ready very soon, again I am waiting to hear back. The idea will be that the swim platform will slide out and then fold down to make it easier to back into storage as well as provide more space in your storage unit/garage. I also need to justify to them to further this endeavor. Please let me know your interests by PM, I do not want to hijack this thread, unless you guys are ok with posting up here.

Fred
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
Joe - I will take pics of the "T-handle" drain and post them up early next week, as well as the play pen cushion, and transom subwoofer boxes (when they are done)!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-23-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
Dale,
How many 10inch nvs speakers do you have?
Old    ScottRobinson            04-23-2010, 2:31 PM Reply   
Guys, nice I read this everyday and get pumped to get my 2011. Just wired money today to EPIC. Black hull, and also they are putting on the FAE for me. I had to order it but shipped to them and they are putting it on. So, that will be done. I will want the best solution for the WIND DAM, so whoever is doing that let me know. Also Fred, I have black hull coming and want to put my own version of wrap on it. So, is what you have from the factory? or did you do that? If you did, is it going to be easy to take off the factory stickers? Or should I have them just not put them on? Oh...one BIG thing!! Has anyone thought of a swim step of the platform that tucks up under the platform with a latch? I have 4 small kids and not sure they can get on without a ladder type thing, even if it is one step...thoughts on how to do that or has someone tackled that? Thanks guys, May 20 is the date for me guys, can't wait to show you all.

Thanks for all the ideas, Joe and Ice....
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-23-2010, 3:32 PM Reply   
Scott, I took some pic's of the interior for ya.
Attached Images

Old    ScottRobinson            04-23-2010, 3:44 PM Reply   
Thanks brother, they have offered me to change the interior but I just can't see how. I have black hull, but want black inside, but have no idea how to? Thought about making the grey black, but I just think that it will get just too dang hot. Guess I am just going with stock interior, but I am wanting to change outside graphic. So, may not have them put them on.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-23-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
Make sure they send the graphic with, even if they don't put it on. That way you at least have it for when your wrap wears out.
Old    ScottRobinson            04-23-2010, 5:56 PM Reply   
Yes great point....
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-23-2010, 7:56 PM Reply   
Lookin good Fred! I bet that sounds pretty nice now!

Joe, man you got that boat sparkling!
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-23-2010, 7:57 PM Reply   
Here is a quick snapshot of the transom with all the speakers in it

Old     (dachbr)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-23-2010, 10:53 PM Reply   
Wow; looks nice and clean Nic. I will get a pic of the tow mount when I get a chance but I can tell you it is thru bolted to an 18 inch long piece of HEAVY aluminum angle. If it pulls off the transom is coming with it!

Ice, your steps will certainly be the deluxe model! My first attempt was to have a local trailer mfg fabricate steps made of angle iron and expanded metal. They really did not extend far enough back to be useful and looked like crap so I scrapped them. I then searched around my shop and came up with that material. (don't turn me into OSHA but they are made from the rollbar that I removed from our new Kubota tractor ) I had intended to add a nonslip surface but it really has not been needed. We've had them on for a year and loaded a bunch of folks including kids and they have worked perfectly.

Duffy; We have a pair of the 10 inch HLCD speakers mounted in the transom. There really is only room for one on each side but it has been more than enough to get the attention of the local water patrol officers. I really need to add the FAE so we can back it off a bit.
Attached Images

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-24-2010, 2:30 PM Reply   
We were talking about the cooler issue. I thought a thru-hull drain in the bottom of the boat would be the best solution, but I think we were all worried that it might void our hull warranty. I e-mailed Jason at Epic just to be sure. Just like every other time I've had contact with anyone at Epic, I got an immediate response. He said I could install a drain and NOT void the hull warranty. However, he cautioned that the fuel tank was directly behind the the cooler, and if I somehow drilled into that, it wouldn't be covered.

So I went to the local marine parts store to find a v shaped thru-hull to install. They didn't have one. If I can't find one soon, I think I'm going to ask my buddy to make me one.

I also had a setback with the heater. I ran the boat in the driveway for an hour. I had the temp guage up there, but no heat out of the second heater. Even if I ran it up to 2000 rpm, no heat. So I'll be installing a pump into the system this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-24-2010, 2:35 PM Reply   
Ice, I'm still interested in those steps. They look pretty nice man.

Fred, glad to see you made it on here. You have a lot of cool ideas going on. Good job on the speaker swap. I can't wait to see the sub boxes.

Nic, That panel turned out sweet. The spacing turned out perfect. I like the remote spot too. Way, way better then trying to squeeze it in the middle.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-24-2010, 4:25 PM Reply   
Ice, I got the stickers, and the decal today. Thank's a lot buddy. I might have to swap the white one on the tower for one of these orange one's.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-24-2010, 10:10 PM Reply   
Scott-
As far as the wind dam, if you end up going the route I did, I have a template traced and ready to send to you if you want it, just pay the shipping. I traced one out for Nic and thought I'd trace you one just in case. Let me know.

Joe-
Great info on drain, I am going to be in pursuit of a through hole drain as well, probably have my dealer do all the work though. The idea of me punching a hole through the lowest point of my boat, right next to 50 gallons of 91 grade is a recipe for disaster! Bummer about the heater, but knowing you, it's probably already fixed. Glad you got the emblem and stickers all in one piece.

Dale-
I am liking your step better than what we have going. Especially since- 1. It's more permanent, and out of the way. 2. It's and tried and true & you have had no issues and it has worked great for you guys. Why re-invent the wheel? I may be jacking your idea and copying you...

Nic-
Sent you a PM, let me know your address, your template is ready to go.
Old     (dachbr)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-25-2010, 12:41 AM Reply   
Ice; When you said you might have your dealer do the cooler drain in your boat would that be Tyrell at Prestige? I like that idea as well and Tyrell is a great guy but I don't want to make that 3,253 mile round trip again so................

Joe; When you do yours please take plenty of pics to go with the detailed instructions.