Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kregstrong)      Join Date: May 2014       07-30-2015, 6:03 PM Reply   
I've heard the 15' tiges with surf x and avx surf great. Looking for suggestions on that or something in the price range with a better or similar wave. Looking for something used, possibly 50-70k range. Don't really care much for the instant side swap like taps 3 or surf gate. Just want an awesome surf wave
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       08-01-2015, 6:12 AM Reply   
I used to sell Tige, and back in 2013, when the new Z1 first came out, I built an all white metal flake Z1. To this day, it's probably my favorite boat that I've brought into a dealership (always been more partial to 21' to 23-25' boats). It had a great surf wave, and a solid wakeboard wake. This was also before the AVX, So I'm assuming it's just that much better now. I know someone posted pictures of it on here back then, I'll see if I can find the pictures of it somewhere. But to answer your question, it produces a fantastic surf wave. If you want a great surf wave, but don't want a 23'+ boat, the Z1 is tough to beat.
Old     (swell_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-01-2015, 6:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kregstrong View Post
I've heard the 15' tiges with surf x and avx surf great. Looking for suggestions on that or something in the price range with a better or similar wave. Looking for something used, possibly 50-70k range. Don't really care much for the instant side swap like taps 3 or surf gate. Just want an awesome surf wave
Here is a 2015 Z1 with Surf XL and AVX
Attached Images

Old     (swell_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-01-2015, 6:34 AM Reply   
note: All of those photos are at different AVX settings
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-01-2015, 7:11 AM Reply   
Nice pics!
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-01-2015, 10:35 AM Reply   
Get an mb brand new for that range and I've heard the new ones come with go surf assist tabs. It's a really good wave for the price.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-01-2015, 5:07 PM Reply   
I can't believe it took this long for someone to mention MB...
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-02-2015, 5:42 AM Reply   
I'm saving for a centurion with ram and cats
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-02-2015, 6:21 AM Reply   
There is also supreme in your price range...
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-02-2015, 9:16 AM Reply   
The Z-1 does surf well when properly set up. Having worked for a Tige dealership and been in every model I can tell you the Z-1 is my least favorite in the line. Main reason is it drives like crap. By far the worst driving boat in their line. Low speed maneuvering is the worst. I spent a lot of time in the Z-1 and just am not a fan. I'd take a Z-3 or an RZR/R-20 hull anyway over the Z-1. If you need the size the RZ-2 would be my choice.

I can tell you that when I worked there is was also our hardest sell. With not that much of a jump to the Z-3 they just didn't move. We sold out of Z-3's and the Z-1's just sat. We only sold one in 2014 and the others had to be dumped at close out prices, year end.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-02-2015, 9:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
I can't believe it took this long for someone to mention MB...
Now all we need is the usual crowd to ward the OP to stay away from tige because of the 1999 21v they saw, has torn vinyl and used wood stringers

Kreg,

in all seriousness, I would try to get a demo on a 2016 with the TAPS-3 just to see.
Old     (swell_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-02-2015, 11:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
Now all we need is the usual crowd to ward the OP to stay away from tige because of the 1999 21v they saw, has torn vinyl and used wood stringers

Kreg,

in all seriousness, I would try to get a demo on a 2016 with the TAPS-3 just to see.
People love to bring up the past, unless their talking football, everyone loves talking about the championships they won twenty years ago.
Old     (kregstrong)      Join Date: May 2014       08-03-2015, 5:47 AM Reply   
Anyone else have any experience similar to Boardman? He seems to really hate the z1 lol, I've never actually been on one so I can't confirm, I just can't see how it's much different than the z3 being the only real difference I can see is the 2 ft in length. Thanks for the suggestions, I will check out some of those
Old     (kregstrong)      Join Date: May 2014       08-03-2015, 6:01 AM Reply   
I'm just not real crazy about the looks of the MB, not sure why, I don't really like the interior. Maybe I need to go see one in person
Old     (kregstrong)      Join Date: May 2014       08-03-2015, 7:38 AM Reply   
That looks nice, is that your boat?
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       08-03-2015, 8:07 AM Reply   
I had a 2010 Z1 til this summer, just sold it. I thought mine handled awesome, I could just about anything I wanted with it including parallel parking at the dock. It surfed very well too, the goofy side was a bit a harder to dial in, very touchy to weight but once it was set it had a ton of push. I woulda kept mine but with 3 little kids we are lookin for a bigger boat boat (g23 or maybe the new RZX).
Old     (dilpickle)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-03-2015, 10:32 AM Reply   
2014 Z1 owner here. I obviously haven't driven every boat in Tige's lineup, but we did do an extensive Z3 demo before buying our Z1. The biggest difference I noticed between the Z1 & Z3 was primarily in the bow area. There is only 18" difference between these boats & it shows up in the walkway through the windshield & overall space in the bow. You also gain the hidden trash can & one more rear facing seat on the Z3, but in the end it wasn't worth the extra $25-30K difference we were seeing between the two.

The handling is as good as any boat I have driven on the water, it's low speed handling is typical of an inboard & the attitude seems to change with the prop installed. Going to a 1235 from a 1433, I noticed a more braking effect when slowing & the boat tends to rotate to the left when moving forward in neutral-nothing major, just one more thing to pay attention to. Given the choice, for my needs & budget I would happily buy this boat again.
Old     (kregstrong)      Join Date: May 2014       08-03-2015, 10:47 AM Reply   
Thanks a bunch Morgan, did you notice much difference in the waves of the z3 and z1? Does yours throw a good wave? I'm trying to find a 2015 to demo right now just having a hard time. Might just do like you did and demo the z3
Old     (dilpickle)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-03-2015, 12:03 PM Reply   
Not exactly a fair comparison as the Z3 I demoed was a customer's boat that WWS had just put the W005 (1000lb) bags in, so it had 1100 in bow & nearly 1200 in surf side rear, my Z1 has the Surf ballast which in 2014 was 400 up front & 600 in surf side rear. Having said that, my wave is comparable in shape to the Z3, just scaled down a bit-the wave is a little shorter & has a smaller pocket. For now, we adjust by running @ 11.8, Taps @ 6 & my wife drives in a slight curve to help shape the wave. When we have friends or family out with us, the wave gets substantially bigger.

With some more expendable income, I'd add another 1000 lbs in ballast & the waves would be very close. Neither of these boats had the VX.