Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (spyderwinches)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-25-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
Would a Sanger dealer do well in sacramento and the east bay even in the economy that we are in today? Looking for some opinions and thoughts. How many of you are in need of a sanger dealer for sales and parts and service. Just trying to figure out if there is a demand out there still for Sanger sales and service.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       09-25-2009, 1:02 PM Reply   
For a quick answer, YES!!!

Sanger is one of the best selling boats in the area. Problem is that with all the dealers closing doors now they are far and few between.
Old     (pronuke)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-25-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
I wondered the same thing up here in Washington in the tri-cities areas. The closest Sanger dealer is up in Idaho at least 3-4 hours away. There are only a couple of dealerships around here, one for Malibu, and one for Tige and Centurion's.
Old     (familyman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-25-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
Sanger all the way. After looking into these boats I wish there was a dealer that I could go to look at purchasing.

If you are thinking of starting and need some help starting let me know. I have some good connections and would love to also help build this if looking.

I know the best sales person who loves boats and is truly one of the best down to earth sales guy I've met.

I'm sure there are many others no punt to the rest.

But yes. If you want to discuss just email me and we can discuss more.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-25-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
I live in sac, have a V215 and we need a dealer service badly.
Old     (evadehickman)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-26-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
Yes! LIve in Marin County but keep boat at delta. Would love a dealer in Sacto!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-26-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
If you are planning on opening a dealership you might want to see if Sanger is/has changed how their dealership network works. It seems in the past there were so many dealers that could sell anywhere so they would all undercut each other. I would not want to open a dealership if this is the case. I believe the best dealers are the smaller one's that really specialize in what they sell. Don't sell i/o's or fishing boats. Really learn the brand you sell in and out.

The best tournament boat dealers in washington seem to be smaller family oriented businesses. The Malibu, Nautique and Sanger dealers are the only one's who have been able to stick through the tough times. They specialize in one brand, don't have over the top buildings and don't spend a ton of money marketing.
Old     (hp_inc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-26-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
I would be cautious in this market. I think Brett is right that the smaller dealers that know their product, and keep their overhead low, will be the ones that make it. I don't think that many brands can stand by themselves. If Sanger (which I think builds a nice boat) is going to be your only brand, I think you may have a rough time. Just my $.02
Old     (puamana)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-26-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
You forget about the Sanger dealer down in Longview, WA. He's been selling Sanger's for almost twenty years. I met Don when I was shopping for a boat last year and my buddy bought one from him in 1994. He's a great guy with a small dealership plus he operates as a Snow Sports shop in the winter.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-26-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
you need to remember everyone has different resources and income flows .... depending on that some people need to make more money then others doing the same thing .... ive found its very hard to compete in business against tax writeoffs
Old     (spyderwinches)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-26-2009, 3:27 PM Reply   
What dealers are left in the bay area and sacremento area. and what brands are being sold. it seems like so many dealers have gone out of business. Who is still holding on?
Old     (beryessaboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-26-2009, 4:04 PM Reply   
Sacramento Area:

NorCal Mastercraft
Larson Marine-CC & Calabria
Capitol Water Sports-Tige
Brothers Boats-Bayliner & Supreme(not sure if they still do)
San Ramon Boat Center(Rocklin)-Cobalt & Supra?(i think). I may have missed some, thats all I know of.

The centurion dealer I bought my boat from shut down. Marine Max shut down the store in sac. I think they had Sanger for a while. Sucks! I used marine max for service.
Not sure who is selling malibu. Larson maybe?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-26-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
^^^

Capital Water Sports is going out of business and they also had Sangers there along with SeaRay and Cobolts that I remember.

BP, a dealer would definitely be welcome in the area but as you know, you will be competing with water levels of the local lakes. Since we have had dry years for the last 2 or 3, levels have been terrible. Just make sure you can make it with the economy even though there is a light at the end of the tunnel right now.
Old     (pronuke)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-27-2009, 7:17 AM Reply   
Sandy,

Yeah I knew there was a dealership in Longview as well and that is also at least 4 hours away as well. I was just a little curious whether a small local dealership in just Sanger would do allright in this area. Im guessing that it would be a little rough especially if I was to open one here. The only good thing is the area up here hasnt been hit as hard as some other areas.

I also wouldnt have the time to run it without a partner since I already have a good job working full time.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-29-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
CMS in Fairfield has a Sanger in the showroom and they service a lot of Sangers. They are a Nautique and Centurion dealer but are getting into Sanger now.
Old     (duckboat)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-01-2009, 4:40 PM Reply   
Mike Grandview, WA has a sanger dealer. Was going to buy one but it had a few issues on the test run. Had the new motor and a warning light came on. Also couldn't figure out the star gazer and would not be good for current in the Columbia because it goes by ground speed and not compensate the current.
Old     (puamana)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-02-2009, 6:10 AM Reply   
Mike,

Did you test drive the orange Sanger that is on their web site. It's a 2009 but thats a great price on a new boat! Wonder why he doesn't have any other Sangers listed.
Old    walt            10-02-2009, 7:22 AM Reply   
I would think that the Sac area would be a great place for a Sanger dealer.

David Hickman,
You ride Pillsbury too ?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-02-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
You got to be kidding me. Grandview, WA has a Sanger dealer? I went to a wedding there and I didn't think it was even a town hardly. It seemed like you had to go to Sunnyside or Prosser to find anything.
Old     (puamana)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-02-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
Don't know for sure if the guy in Grandview is actually a "Sanger" dealer or not. He may just have that boat. It's interesting because there's an exotic car dealer in Bellevue WA and he had or still has a brand new 2007 or 2008 Sanger in his lot and it turns out that he was going to be a dealer but only sold two boats so he was dropped by Sanger or it may have been a mutual thing.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-02-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
I would like to open a Sanger dealer in Seattle. With the economy and the fact that I don't have any money though it isn't going to happen. Plus I hate working on Saturday's which is part of the reason I quit Cope's.
Old     (duckboat)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-02-2009, 10:55 AM Reply   
I live in Spokane, WA emailed Sanger for dealer locations and they pointed me to Mid Valley Chrysler in Grandview, WA which sells fishing boats as well. They just picked up Sanger line this summer the dealer told me. This all happened back in early August.
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-02-2009, 11:49 AM Reply   
I live in Prosser WA, which is right next to Grandview. The dealership you are referring to is Mid-Valley Dodge (Car dealership). I was new to the boating world last year and bought my 2003 MB Sports 220 V from them. Not only did I buy the boat there but I've purchased a durango and truck there as well (car and truck before new owners). For the most part the boat has been great, but to me, Mid-Valley lacks the knowledge in servicing inboards and I haven't been to impressed with the service department as whole lately (ie. boat or car). I had them winterize it last year (which was the last time they will ever touch my boat) and the first weekend out last spring on the Columbia with my Pregnant wife, 2 year old, and 5 year old, we start taking on water, steam rising from the engine compartment. Low and behold, Freeze plug had popped out. I decided to take it to Sundown in Tri Cities and had them run tests on it (luckily everything was fine), but at the same time Sundown said it didn't look like it was winterized properly and I should contact Mid-Valley. I then informed Mid-Valley and they pretty much told me to pound sand. WTF, what if my block had cracked? They were going to leave me high and dry. I have a hard time backing a place like that and just don't want anybody to get screwed if you know what I mean.
Old     (duckboat)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-02-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
They know how to give cold feet. What I can tell they just think a pretty boat can sell it self. No knowledge of the star gazer to show me how it worked and was told just call the help line Sanger has. Must not be good because the salesman didn't even call it on the water. Also they stored the boat on the lot with no care and no cover causing it to look baked. I would not be surprised if Sanger moves on.
Old     (evadehickman)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-04-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
Walt,
Every summer! Love it up there.

Where is the most well-known Sanger dealer in the Sacto area now? Does anyone know?
Old     (hp_inc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-04-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
At this time there is no Sanger "dealer" in Sacramento that I know of.
Old     (pronuke)      Join Date: Apr 2009       10-05-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
I drove by the Grandview Sanger dealership last weekend in the middle of the huge dust storm that they had on sunday. All three of the Sangers that they had sitting there where sitting out in it (no covers). I dont think i will be looking into that buying a boat there anytime in the future.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-05-2009, 10:04 AM Reply   
Hopefully Sanger sees this and pulls their dealership. It is hard to say no to someone who is willing to sell your boats in this market but if they aren't making any effort they make actually be hurting the brand image in that area. Someone could buy one of those and never get rid of all the dirt for the life of the boat. That would be annoying.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-08-2009, 9:40 PM Reply   
Sacramento also has American Power Sports in Gold River, they sell Supra and Moomba.

With this economy I would think opening a boat shop right now would be the worse investment you could make. Many are going out of business, I think Tracy Boats who sold Sanger are no longer in business.

I talked to my dealer the other day and he said sales are very slow and they are barely surviving.
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-09-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
Brett, we're expecting 30 mph winds today and since harvesting is going on those boats are going to get worse. I drove by yesterday, and the sun pad was so dirty you couldn't tell if it was meant to be white or grey. They look like sweet boats, but I have know idea how they are going to sell with the lack of care by the dealership.