Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (prion)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-10-2017, 8:42 PM Reply   
Can anyone tell me the difference between these two board.s? Specifically riding characteristics? I'm trying to decide between them for my new board.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-11-2017, 7:39 AM Reply   
You couldn't have picked two more different boards
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       04-11-2017, 8:19 AM Reply   
What's your riding level? &/or style? I'm also assuming you would only use for this for a boat board & are you thinking of the 17 models?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-11-2017, 8:23 AM Reply   
If you are a developing rider--still focused on learning a lot of tricks--go Murray. If you are established, want something super-fun to ride--go response. The Murray is a workhorse, the Response is a lot of fun. But like Stephen said, those are very different kinds of boards. The one thing they share is speed.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       04-11-2017, 9:56 AM Reply   
The slingshot pill and the Murray are a closer comparison. Both have a three stage rocker and center V spine.
The Murray has the variable edge- rounded in middle and sharper at the ends.
The pill is a wood core.

The Response is a softer flex and loose feeling board. Certainly feels a lot different than the Murray on the water. It comes standard with small fins which adds to the very loose feeling.

What board do you ride now and what do you like or not like about it?
Old     (prion)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-11-2017, 7:05 PM Reply   
So I currently ride the slingshot Hooke 142. I really like the pop the board gives but it's a little slow. I'm also looking for softer landings as my knees aren't getting any younger. I'm looking to size up so the Murray 150 or response 147. I've been riding for about 18 years. I'd say I'm Intermediate I can do inverts and spins both toe and heal side. My fear with the response is it won't have much pop and my fear with the Murray is it will be slow. So looking for some advice.
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-12-2017, 7:29 AM Reply   
The Murray is definitely not a slow board and the landings are very good. Personally, I think slingshot makes a great product but for purely boat riding, the Murray is the way to go. I see that you're in MI but a ways from me. If you are ever in SE Michigan let me know and you can take my Murray for a ride. It's the 145 but you'll get the feel of it.

Last edited by CRS_mi; 04-12-2017 at 7:31 AM.
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       04-12-2017, 7:55 AM Reply   
1+ for the Murray. Love the speed and pop of mine. Picked up the 150 a few weeks ago and have been impressed. I was coming from the 145 Marek, so there's a slight difference in drag compared to the former continuous board, but that's to be expected. It is very responsive and fast when you want it to be with soft landings. It was a little loose for my taste out of the box, so I traded out the 0.8" fins for the 1.0" (had them from one of my previous broken boards) and that made a world of difference. A little more locked in, tracks better on landings, but you can still break it free and slide on the center of the board.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-12-2017, 8:08 PM Reply   
Ryan, I have no experience with the Murray, but I can give you my thoughts on the Response vs. the Hooke. I have ridden a Response since 2012 and a Recoil off and on throughout that time as well. The Hooke was the exact same shape as the Recoil, the Hooke just had a couple slight molded channels and a little stiffer core.

I agree the Recoil/Hooke shape is a little slow in the water. Not terrible... but the Response feels faster, lighter, and changes edge much quicker. I also feel the Response lands softer and carries it's speed through the landings better.

I too this year am sizing up to the 147. I purchased a 2016 model. Not sure where you set your boots on the fast tracks... but be aware the 2017 boards with the inserts have cut 3.25" out of the max stance width. The track boards could go up to 28.5" on center (which is where I ride them, 6'3") the new boards only go 25.25" max stance on center. I bought a 2017 Response not knowing this and sent it back for last year's model. I think some other folks were caught off guard with that change too, so make sure you know your stance width before you purchase a 2017.

In summary, Response vs. Hooke... Response = faster, softer landings
my $.02, a different size rider or someone who rides differently than me may have a different critique.
Old     (prion)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-14-2017, 6:25 AM Reply   
What size would you all recommend if I go with the Murray. I'm 6 ft 185lbs. 145 or 150?
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       04-14-2017, 7:16 AM Reply   
Go with the 145.
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-14-2017, 8:41 AM Reply   
I am the same size as you and I ride the 145. It has a lot of surface area for a 145 being that it is very wide throughout. The 150 would be fine too if you want a more relaxed ride.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-30-2017, 3:28 AM Reply   
Great input everyone. I personally haven't ridden that slingshot board so I can give my opinion on comparisons but wanted to speak towards sizing.
First off, I think the industry has been a little off w their sizing charts for quite some time now. I understand where we came from and the weight was the biggest issue when we were pressing boards w aluminum tops and throwing a lot of different materials in there which really started to add up. Now that we have really dropped some lbs in construction and through shaping, we are in a different ball game. I've been on boards all the way down to the 128's but in my years there are some things I've learned and of course I want to help myself in any way I can. There is no marketing ploy when I tell people to size up, only want them to enjoy their riding as much as possible.
When shaping a board my main goals are these.
Speed. I don't want the board to make me work to keep it moving through the water.
Easy pop whether cutting hard into the wake or mellow.
And of course soft landings.
The main features that I accomplish this through...
3 stage rocker w no flat spot (slowed down rocker between the feet).
Cupped tip and tail (holds the water under the board bw the fins=power and control).
Spine under feet allows for the board to land smoothly and more forgiving, which the rolled edges heelside and toeside help w as well.
We've (Nelson and I) thinned the tip and tail out to get rid of swing weight and overall board weight.
All in all, I keep my bottom very simple intentionally but the features that I have, I make them count. Less is more for me bc I think we are going across the water so fast that if we ask the water to change too much as it flows past, we will have inconsistent rides.

The feeling that I'm going for when finding the best ride is that I want the board to match my rhythm. Which means, that when I want to go from right to left (like when surfing the wake), the board goes w me. It doesn't lag behind and it doesn't make me cut harder than I intended. Of course you can adjust to most any board but the ones that match my rhythm out of the gates are my faves.
So where does that leave us.
Currently, I'm riding my 145 and loving it (5'6"/150lbs). I thought it would hold me back on my big spins like toe 9's but so far it has helped them. It's more board to push me into the air off the wake and more stable landings. I ride my back foot in the middle holes and front foot all the way back lately bc the stance there felt best.
I've had so many of my students at OWC give the 145 or 150 a shot and just about all of them end up buying the board that they thought would be too big for them and they love it.
Just my two cents. Thanks for listening/reading.
-Shaun
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-30-2017, 3:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun_murray View Post
Great input everyone. I personally haven't ridden that slingshot board so I can give my opinion on comparisons but wanted to speak towards sizing.
First off, I think the industry has been a little off w their sizing charts for quite some time now. I understand where we came from and the weight was the biggest issue when we were pressing boards w aluminum tops and throwing a lot of different materials in there which really started to add up. Now that we have really dropped some lbs in construction and through shaping, we are in a different ball game. I've been on boards all the way down to the 128's but in my years there are some things I've learned and of course I want to help myself in any way I can. There is no marketing ploy when I tell people to size up, only want them to enjoy their riding as much as possible.
When shaping a board my main goals are these.
Speed. I don't want the board to make me work to keep it moving through the water.
Easy pop whether cutting hard into the wake or mellow.
And of course soft landings.
The main features that I accomplish this through...
3 stage rocker w no flat spot (slowed down rocker between the feet).
Cupped tip and tail (holds the water under the board bw the fins=power and control).
Spine under feet allows for the board to land smoothly and more forgiving, which the rolled edges heelside and toeside help w as well.
We've (Nelson and I) thinned the tip and tail out to get rid of swing weight and overall board weight.
All in all, I keep my bottom very simple intentionally but the features that I have, I make them count. Less is more for me bc I think we are going across the water so fast that if we ask the water to change too much as it flows past, we will have inconsistent rides.

The feeling that I'm going for when finding the best ride is that I want the board to match my rhythm. Which means, that when I want to go from right to left (like when surfing the wake), the board goes w me. It doesn't lag behind and it doesn't make me cut harder than I intended. Of course you can adjust to most any board but the ones that match my rhythm out of the gates are my faves.
So where does that leave us.
Currently, I'm riding my 145 and loving it (5'6"/150lbs). I thought it would hold me back on my big spins like toe 9's but so far it has helped them. It's more board to push me into the air off the wake and more stable landings. I ride my back foot in the middle holes and front foot all the way back lately bc the stance there felt best.
I've had so many of my students at OWC give the 145 or 150 a shot and just about all of them end up buying the board that they thought would be too big for them and they love it.
Just my two cents. Thanks for listening/reading.
-Shaun
Please don't change anything about this board in 18, I am riding the 16 144 and love it, honestly the best board I have ridden. I'm 5'10 190 so I'm sure I could step up to the 150.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-01-2017, 10:57 AM Reply   
Well there it is from the man himself.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       05-01-2017, 11:42 AM Reply   
Great discussion and really appreciate hearing from "the man himself". I'm 5' 7" and 153 but just an intermediate rider. I'm 50 year old so just enjoy wake to wake stuff, spins. Not sure I'm going for any inverts...doubtful. Would you all recommend the 139 or the 145? 145 sounds big and I don't really have any opportunities to try it first.

Last edited by MystiikVLX; 05-01-2017 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-02-2017, 4:58 AM Reply   
Absolutely go with the 145. In your scenario, the extra size will be very helpful.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-02-2017, 7:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystiikVLX View Post
Great discussion and really appreciate hearing from "the man himself". I'm 5' 7" and 153 but just an intermediate rider. I'm 50 year old so just enjoy wake to wake stuff, spins. Not sure I'm going for any inverts...doubtful. Would you all recommend the 139 or the 145? 145 sounds big and I don't really have any opportunities to try it first.
I'm about the same stats as you, and would be hesitant to buy a 145 as well. I'll ask OWC to spot me one when I take a pull out there and report back here.
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-02-2017, 9:43 AM Reply   
Steve, I see you are in Dayton. If you ever get up to SE Michigan you can certainly take a ride on mine.
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       05-02-2017, 2:38 PM Reply   
At 5'7 160lbs experienced rider would I go 139 or 144... I see Mr. Murray started on the 139 but now rides the 144
Old     (Killerbren)      Join Date: May 2015       05-03-2017, 3:26 PM Reply   
Been watching this thread for a while, ended up buying a 2017 Murray 150 today. Can't wait for it to show up. (I'm 6'5" and 230 lbs). Thanks for all the input guys.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       05-05-2017, 7:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
Ryan, I have no experience with the Murray, but I can give you my thoughts on the Response vs. the Hooke. I have ridden a Response since 2012 and a Recoil off and on throughout that time as well. The Hooke was the exact same shape as the Recoil, the Hooke just had a couple slight molded channels and a little stiffer core.

I agree the Recoil/Hooke shape is a little slow in the water. Not terrible... but the Response feels faster, lighter, and changes edge much quicker. I also feel the Response lands softer and carries it's speed through the landings better.

I too this year am sizing up to the 147. I purchased a 2016 model. Not sure where you set your boots on the fast tracks... but be aware the 2017 boards with the inserts have cut 3.25" out of the max stance width. The track boards could go up to 28.5" on center (which is where I ride them, 6'3") the new boards only go 25.25" max stance on center. I bought a 2017 Response not knowing this and sent it back for last year's model. I think some other folks were caught off guard with that change too, so make sure you know your stance width before you purchase a 2017.

In summary, Response vs. Hooke... Response = faster, softer landings
my $.02, a different size rider or someone who rides differently than me may have a different critique.
Dustin, Have you ridden the Pill?
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-06-2017, 5:59 AM Reply   
I have not, but would imagine it is very close to the Recoil as well. The overall shape and rocker line is the same as what the recoil was. Like the Hooke, the pill is a stiffer board with some laser cut channels where the Recoil was a featureless base. Imagine the overall feel and speed on the water is the same as a Recoil. Again, the comparison above is just my personal experiences on the Recoil and Response.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-08-2017, 5:48 AM Reply   
Rode my Murray 145 yesterday for the first time. I really enjoyed it. I like the longer board trend. It felt a lot more stable and forgiving to me. Pop was good and landings were nice. I was worried that the featureless bottom would be too loose but not at all. Great all around board.
Old     (prion)      Join Date: Feb 2012       05-08-2017, 8:15 AM Reply   
Eubanks, how tall and what weight are you? Also what were you riding before.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-08-2017, 12:16 PM Reply   
Shaun Murray, the man himself just gave you SOLID advice ... and you're still asking other people for opinions?
Old     (prion)      Join Date: Feb 2012       05-08-2017, 1:01 PM Reply   
I'm sorry. I didn't realize I couldn't ask questions just because I'm curious.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-08-2017, 3:01 PM Reply   
haha fair enough
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-21-2017, 12:01 PM Reply   
Would love to hear back on what people's experience is w my boards. Always appreciate input. And we won't be changing anything for 18. I'm enjoying it a lot as well and don't have changes planned yet.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-21-2017, 6:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun_murray View Post
Would love to hear back on what people's experience is w my boards. Always appreciate input. And we won't be changing anything for 18. I'm enjoying it a lot as well and don't have changes planned yet.
When will we be seeing a sneak peek of the 18 Shaun?
Old     (80AM)      Join Date: Apr 2016       05-22-2017, 12:37 PM Reply   
I'm picking up the 150 this week, will post follow-up about how it rides after MDW
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-22-2017, 4:29 PM Reply   
My boys 150 exploded today on a big backroll into the flats. 2nd time on the board. He loves it and will get it taken care of under warranty.
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-23-2017, 9:39 AM Reply   
Unfortunately delamination happens once in a while with all boards. Hyperlites warranty department is really good and easy to work with. I'm sure they will have you hooked back up with a new board in no time.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-21-2017, 10:19 PM Reply   
Hey guys!

Looking to pick up a 2017 Murray as well. I'm 6' 185lbs and was thinking about getting the 150 but the largest board I have ever ridden behind the boat is a 142! Haha. Do you think I should go with the 144 or go all the way up to the 150?
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       06-22-2017, 8:39 AM Reply   
I don't think you can go wrong with either. Im your same size and rode a 150 a couple weeks ago. It didn't feel big under my feet and didn't feel like i was riding a board that was a 150. Made the landings super smooth but didn't notice much a difference in pop going from smaller boards to this.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-22-2017, 2:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trio View Post
Hey guys!

Looking to pick up a 2017 Murray as well. I'm 6' 185lbs and was thinking about getting the 150 but the largest board I have ever ridden behind the boat is a 142! Haha. Do you think I should go with the 144 or go all the way up to the 150?
I believe in 17 it's a 145 and a 150. I'm 5'10 190 and have been on the 16 144 since it came out and love it.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-27-2017, 11:48 AM Reply   
I think I'm going to try the 150 in hopes of softer landings. I have some knee cartilage damage that swells up after a bit of hard landings. If the bigger board lightens the blow I will be super stoked!
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-20-2017, 9:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
I'm about the same stats as you, and would be hesitant to buy a 145 as well. I'll ask OWC to spot me one when I take a pull out there and report back here.
Did you ever try out the 145? Just curious what you thought.
Old     (tylergold)      Join Date: May 2018       05-07-2018, 4:38 AM Reply   
I am 5"8 (163lbs or 74kg) and wanting to buy the hyperlite murray. The only size in stock in Australia is 139, cant find a 144. Should I bite the bullet on the 139 or try wait for a 144...@shaunmurray hook me up mate hahahaha
Old     (thejean)      Join Date: Aug 2018       09-01-2018, 11:46 AM Reply   
Same debate. Beginner to intermediate rider. 180 lbs without gear. Want a Murray. 145 or 150?
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-01-2018, 11:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejean View Post
Same debate. Beginner to intermediate rider. 180 lbs without gear. Want a Murray. 145 or 150?
I'm 180-185 5'10 and have been on the 144 Murray since 2016. My favorite since I started riding in 2002. For 2019 it's a 145 not a 144 anymore.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-25-2018, 11:19 PM Reply   
If you’re still looking at Slingshot try the reflex. Subtle three stage. In one year I tried the Response, (fast, fun but not enough pop behind the boat), Recoil. Three stage (I’ve never had a board that made me so tired, arms cramp, pop, but straight up, kept casing the wake). Nomad: continuous, fun, but same as response behind the boat, Whip: blended. I still ride this board for cable. And finally Reflex: just right! Nice speed, tons of pop. Loose when I want to play. Boosts huge and no problem going to the flats.
Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-27-2018, 6:34 AM Reply   
I know it's all personal opinion but I'm going to have to disagree with you on the Reflex. First of all, Slingshot does not make the Recoil, Response, or Reflex anymore - the Coalition is the same shape as the Reflex but may have a different flex pattern now, it has a thinner profile. I rode the Reflex behind boat and if the Coalition is in fact just like the Reflex I would advise against using it for boat. It has chined rails meaning the edges are slopped up along the toeside and heelside making a catch free edge. So it's better for sliding sketchy surfaces. This makes it feel a little like a spoon when carving into the wake. It's subtle, but a little more difficult to get a good load in the water. For boat, the Response and Recoil were a lot better. Yes, the Recoil (I suppose the Pill would be the next closest now) was three stage so a little slower but I found it fast compared to most three stage boards. The Response was a good boat board despite having flex and it was really fast and easy to use.
Again, that's just my opinion. If you liked the Reflex the best then who am I to argue.
As for whether or not to get the Murray or Response (if you can find one) my recommendation is the Response, I think it's more durable and you can use it at the cable if you want. I found it really easy to use so I can't imagine anyone hating it.
As for board size - again this is just my personal opinion - I don't think the whole sizing up thing is necessary for boat riding. I think riding a bigger board at the cable is fun, but not necessary for boat. I guess the landings are a little better but I didn't find many benefits riding a bigger board. That being said, I don't find it to have any hindrances either. So I wouldn't stress about it either way.