Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-16-2017, 8:38 PM Reply   
I am restoring a Premier pontoon boat and was wondering how many of you have done the same or put some time and/or money into your own pontoon with personal mods. Would love to see some pics of what you guys have done to get some ideas.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       03-17-2017, 5:58 AM Reply   
my sis' husband and I did a restore on an old bass buggy tooner. tore it down to the logs. new floor, furniture, wiring, etc. actually did a different layout as we put it back together.
was a fun project and when you come down to it, there's not much to them.
I had some pics on the moomba forums that I tried to find but not located yet. did it around late '09 early '10.

Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       03-17-2017, 6:00 AM Reply   

Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-18-2017, 5:34 PM Reply   
Looks good. How much of a pain in the @ss was removing the old carpet and sheets of treated plywood?
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-19-2017, 9:55 PM Reply   
I'm looking at doing my 22ft premier pontoon as well. At bare minimum I want to get all new seats and change the layout up. Contemplating doing the carpet too. But that's much more work than just the seats. I could have all the seats out minus the console in about 1 hour.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       03-20-2017, 6:49 AM Reply   
carpet on the original was trashed and wanted new lumber so it was easier to remove the wood and leave the carpet attached. took a couple hours to remove the lumber and screw down new wood. removing the old carpet and trying to salvage the wood could have added many hours to scrape and sand the old glue off.
if you have it torn down with no furniture and no fencing, replacing wood was pretty easy. don't know the total cost but iirc it was around $200 for the 4 sheets of wood.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-20-2017, 7:46 AM Reply   
We looked at doing this a few years back. The biggest cost is replacing the furniture. Thats why you see so many of these with people using patio furniture on them. Its cheap and easy to do the wood and carpet. The furniture is cheaply made and its wood so usually is rotten and needs completely replaced not just upholstered. If you have actually solid structure I know you can do the vinyl.

After what I have seen you have done to your other boats you won't have an issue at all.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-20-2017, 11:31 AM Reply   
Oh the upholstery is 80% done and I just got the old carpet off today. Went pretty good with an old 8" ice scraper. The plan for this is unlike others I have seen. Think old tower that used to be on the lake. I am doing everything myself and hope to have it all done by June.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-20-2017, 9:06 PM Reply   
Got any pics of the current progress?
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-21-2017, 8:48 AM Reply   
I will get some this weekend
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-21-2017, 12:21 PM Reply   
This is the only photo I have for now. Rails used to be standard aluminum. First l scuffed them up then etch primered them then used rustoleum truck bed liner and put new siding with the green stripings on them. That big tubing behind the rail is the 8'x16' upper deck frame.
Attached Images

Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-21-2017, 12:25 PM Reply   
Sometimes 26' isn't enough... 6' extensions
Attached Images

Old     (macpres)      Join Date: Jul 2016       03-24-2017, 8:02 PM Reply   
Nick, what are you going to do with the space behind the motor?

we just went thru our 1998 Premier Sunstation, pulled off all the rails, pulled up the carpet, that was a bitch, we actually took a diamond hand grinder to remove the bits that were left and glue residue so we could install a vinyl floor, carpet sucks. Then reinstalled all new seats, kept the same layout, did a ton of research on pontoon seat quality online, we ended up spending about 3k on the furniture, got a reclining captains chair with lumbar support and a headrest though, its awesome!

Overall was a decent amount of work and about $5k invested, but the money they are getting for these new pontoons is ridiculous.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-25-2017, 8:00 AM Reply   
Wow: this project looks fun. I might have somthing you might want. Here is a pic of a swim deck
I'm selling that came off my Bennington.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-25-2017, 8:02 AM Reply   
Who is doing the Pontoon extension? The work looks factory. What are you doing for a trailer.?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-25-2017, 9:19 AM Reply   
If I am correct I believe he is going to be installing some type of diving tower on it!!

He's on my lake and referenced a diving platform we used to use as kids earlier in the thread.

Nick does great work and I'm excited to see the final product!!!!
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-25-2017, 11:44 AM Reply   
Yes boardman is right. Upper deck with full size diving board on top. The motor is staying in the same place and that area behind the motor will be empty deck to play and jump off. I had the pontoons extended by Tramm pontoons south of Lake Mille Lacs. He did a great job I just hope when I clean the pontoons they get close to looking the same. The trailer is 26' and I don't plan on modifying it in any way. The sea legs will be resting on the frame when the pontoon is on it. Besides the pontoon tube extensions I am doing everything myself.
Old     (Hyperryd)      Join Date: May 2014       03-25-2017, 6:38 PM Reply   
You aren't concerned about turning with the pontoons going that far past your prop? I would think they might guide the boat straight when you are trying to turn. Just an observation.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-26-2017, 10:06 AM Reply   
Yes: please excuse my ignorance but why would you NOT extend your floor space and move the motor to the very rear of the boat. I can see if you were to enclose or make some sort of rear deck behind the motor that would be cool but mabey I'm not seeing the big picture quite yet. But your project looks fun and I look forward to seeing more of it. Are you going to have some sort of Bimini on the top deck or seating Aera?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-26-2017, 10:14 AM Reply   
O and here is a tip or suggestion for flooring. Why not do a Viny floor. And then make your own snap in carpets. We have a vinyl foor in our bennington. The vinyl is great because it's basically indestructible. And we have snap in carpets that go over the top of the vinyl flooring. You will Never have to change out the viny flooring. Then simply make or "cut out" your own snap in carpets. You can Have the edges bound (sewed) and add a few snaps in the corners to hold it down and your good to go. This way come winter time you can take out the carpet. It's easy to clean or replace. Our pontoon has 3 sections of snap in carpet so your not dealing with a 25 foot piece of carpet.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-26-2017, 10:19 AM Reply   
Here is a example of what I'm talking about. BTW Bennington replaced all our snap in carpet after 5 years because the edges of the carpet started to frey that's why I took this photo was to request replacement but even after 5 years it was in pretty good shape
Attached Images

Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-26-2017, 10:27 AM Reply   
The pontoon will be on a 1200 acre lake so performance is my last concern. This thing is going to be a party island. Not in the sense of girls and drinking, that is not me but in the sense of anchoring and a swim, kid, hang out type of deal. The upper deck will go from the steering wheel to the end of the pontoon. The pontoon already has 24' of seating and inside rail area, that is big enough for us. I have thought about vinyl flooring but I will be looking for flooring in the near future.
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       03-26-2017, 1:50 PM Reply   
The party toon is always needed!
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-29-2017, 4:42 AM Reply   
These are a couple of the cushions I redid. I had to break a few up and not just have plain light gray on everything.
Attached Images

Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       03-29-2017, 8:19 AM Reply   
I picked up a 2006 Bennington 2275RL (I/O) at auction last year for 8k. It has been hit in the back in traffic, and needed a new lower unit. All in all I think we have about 12k into it. We added a decent stereo (marine 6.5" speakers, 10" L5 sub, and some amps), and we have a nice cruiser for the lake.

The toon is good for the family right now since our son is almost 2. I'd like to add a 55" TV that pops out of the rear locker, and have it hooked up to my phone to stream the Giants games in the summer though.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       03-29-2017, 8:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Wow: this project looks fun. I might have somthing you might want. Here is a pic of a swim deck
I'm selling that came off my Bennington.
Grant, what model is the swim platform off of? I wonder if it will work on my Bennington?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-29-2017, 11:10 AM Reply   
The Swim deck is off my 2012 2575 QCW. It will fit on your boat. Simply drill some holes and insert some "threaded inserts and the factory transom support poles and your good to go. Seeing how close you are I could help you with the install of needed
Attached Images

Last edited by grant_west; 03-29-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       03-29-2017, 11:36 AM Reply   
How much? Lets work out a deal, especially if you can help with the install in Folsom.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-29-2017, 1:25 PM Reply   
Send me a Email so I dont Hyjack this thread anymore then I already have grantwest@gmail.com
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-29-2017, 1:50 PM Reply   
Hey Nick: Just wanted to add. If you can you should be using Stainless Steel staples on your interior re-do, If you dont you will find that after a bit the standard steel staples will rust and fail depending on how wet the location is
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-29-2017, 4:04 PM Reply   
This is my 4th boat redoing upholstery and ever one has been with stainless staples.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-29-2017, 4:21 PM Reply   
right on some peeps/and shops dont know. Are you gonna do any under water lighting or RGB lights
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-29-2017, 7:43 PM Reply   
No real plans for lighting or stereo right now. I am just focusing on getting this thing on the water by Memorial Day. Then I will work on that stuff but nothing crazy. The bottom cushions where recovered and they didn't use stainless staples. It was a pain getting everything cleaned up.
Old     (LukeR103)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-30-2017, 7:37 AM Reply   
A few pics of my buddys party barge. He has since added an additional center pontoon, an extended teak deck on the front, and a remote trolling motor on the front.
My favorite boat
Attached Images