Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-15-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
Hey guys... Been some time since I've been on here. All the sudden I got to college and dont have time to do diddly squat anymore. Anyways I pulled some good grades last semester which earned me a truck. My old Range Rover Classic is STILL in the shop after a year and a half so I've given up on that as a daily driver. I've had my eyes set on a big ol' lifted powerstroke or cummins for a while. In particular a 5.9 cummins or a 7.3 powerstroke because I've heard better things about both of those compared to the later 6.7's and 6.0's. But then theres the new f-150 ecoboost... had this engine not been introduced I wouldnt have though twice about getting a diesel. I test drove an ecoboost the other week and really liked how smooth it was and how broad the torque curve was. So now I am sorta stuck on what to go for. I could get a used lifted powerstroke or cummins with some miles and hopefully waranty, which would be lifted with proper suspension upgrades n stuff. Or I could get a new f-150 ecoboost and have a smoother/more refined truck with better mpg BUT wont get to have it lifted and modded to my likings until I can build up some doe in the summer as I dont work while I am at school. And as far as towing goes I will probably use the truck to tow boats for the fam and other miscellaneous toys.

Whats your guys' take on that? tough decision for me at least... bad a$$ loud lifted diesel, or an F-150....
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-15-2011, 10:15 AM Reply   
My opinion is if your young and going to school to not make be making endless payments on a vehicle but if you have the money then I guess it's not an issue. You work so hard to have it all and all the toys and in the end you wish you could live without it.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-15-2011, 10:32 AM Reply   
Yeah payments wont be an issue we will be paying in full from the get go. But what do you mean you wish you could live without it? I work hard so I can have toys and stuff thats mine and came from my hard work. Its sorta pride in a way. Not to show off but just to show that I value work and whatever rewards come from that hard work.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       03-15-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
I don't see how grades earned you a new truck. Grades != money. Grades do cost a lot of money though, to pay for school. If you got grant money or extra money on your loans don't blow it on a truck. If you need a vehicle to get to work go buy yourself a $500 F-150 or something. Simple, cheap, reliable, disposable. Use the rest of the money to pay for school. When you're done school and it's all paid for, buy yourself whatever you want if you have the money for it. That's my advice, take it for what you paid for it.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-15-2011, 12:19 PM Reply   
I mean everyone is caught up in consumerism whether you want to believe it or not. Everyone wants the really nice car, boat, and house so you work your ass off to have it all. Sure it's nice to have but sometimes I wish I could live with nothing and didn't care about all those things. Work your whole life to have the toys or travel around and have world experiences without a lot of pocessions to your name.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-15-2011, 12:26 PM Reply   
Guys, Twitches family does alright so just let it go how he's getting it. Twitch jump at the new F150 especially with the eccoboost I'm positive you will love it in the long run far more than a lifted 02 PS or Cummins. Its no big deal to wait a little while to floss it out. PM or FB me if you want to get some ideas on cost.
Old     (willrice)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-15-2011, 12:34 PM Reply   
^^^ That's what I figured. Sounds like the money is not an issue and financial responsibility is not a major factor in this decision. I had a fraternity brother who got to pick whatever car he wanted if he got all As one semester. He picked a brand new Range Rover. Some people just have it like that.

I say go with the ecoboost. If I could get whatever truck I wanted, it would be that one. Can't beat the combination of power and fuel economy in a full size pick up. However, fuel economy may not be a major factor given that money doesn't seem to be an issue. In that case, choose whatever you think will get you more chicks.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-15-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
Dave, don't you have a boat? I think its time for you to start consuming, you are holding everyone back.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-15-2011, 2:40 PM Reply   
Well my rents offered to buy me the truck, but anything after that I will be paying for. Gas for sure. So that would be another thing with a used diesel... I would have to pay for the repairs hence the fact I dont want a 6.0 powerstroke because I've heard of head stud problems and other things going wrong. But the ecoboost will also be more money in the beginning. An f-150 FX4 aint cheap... anyone else drivin the ecoboost yet?

Dave- I know what your sayin' and I agree with you however is there anything wrong with having both of those worlds? I love to travel and I love my toys, so I figure if I bust my a$$ off in school one day I can have both of those. I do agree that many people rely heavily on processions and money 'n what not... but when you've worked hard for something and done your research and really thought about it, which normally takes months or years, your f'n stoked when you get it! I value my toys very much =D but only in return for hard work. If something is handed to me I wont value it as much as if I either bought it myself or worked for it. Its all about time, money and value and each variable will differ from person to person. It's all about personal preference I say. I like to have something to show for my hard work, sorta like the "Show your boat and tow rig" threads. People are excited to show what they've worked for and take great pride in it, whatever it may be.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-15-2011, 3:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by themxercr85 View Post
Anyways I pulled some good grades last semester which earned me a truck...
Damn, I guess I went to the wrong university. I had to actually get a job before I could buy a new truck.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       03-15-2011, 4:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Well my rents offered to buy me the truck
If something is handed to me I wont value it as much
I like to have something to show for my hard work

I could add commentary to this, and badly want to... But I won't.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-15-2011, 6:03 PM Reply   
Why does anyone care how he's getting the truck? There's not one of us that would say "Nah, thanks but no thanks" to getting rewarded for whatever it is one might get rewarded for. I realize to you working hard in school and getting good grades might not constitute hard work but I'm not gonna sit here and devalue that to Twitch nor should anyone.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-15-2011, 7:04 PM Reply   
Yeah man I dont get it... thanks for trying to back me though.

Cory- Why would you say that if your not going to comment? your post is so pointless its ridiculous. Go for it, add your comment, its people like you that make me sit back in my chair and chuckle. Your implicitly stating Im a spoiled little bastard and contradict my own words. I dont though... My rents offered to buy me a truck, yes... in return for good grades and hard work in school. Its called an incentive and its been working since I was in 6th grade. Many years it hasnt worked but some it has. Eventually I will be setting my own incentives like owning my own company and a house or my own boat like the rest of you. Don't get me wrong I am a very fortunate person and theres plenty more kids much more spoiled than I am, I'm from medina, kids get Maseratis and Rovers on their 16th birthdays... I would understand your response if that was the case... which it by all means is not. I work for a lot of stuff, my parents believe in hard work ethics and rewards for that hard work. Daddy isnt just buying me a truck because I want one, its because I worked for it and have to continue working in-order to keep it.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-15-2011, 11:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Yeah man I dont get it...

Quote:
...theres plenty more kids much more spoiled than I am, I'm from medina, kids get Maseratis and Rovers on their 16th birthdays... I would understand your response if that was the case... which it by all means is not. I work for a lot of stuff, my parents believe in hard work ethics and rewards for that hard work. Daddy isnt just buying me a truck because I want one, its because I worked for it and have to continue working in-order to keep it.
Let me see if I follow your logic... If you were getting a Rover, that would be unacceptable. But a brand-new Eco-Boost F-150 is a completely normal gift for acing your biology mid-term.

You're right about one thing... you don't get it.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-15-2011, 11:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Why does anyone care how he's getting the truck? There's not one of us that would say "Nah, thanks but no thanks" to getting rewarded for whatever it is one might get rewarded for. I realize to you working hard in school and getting good grades might not constitute hard work but I'm not gonna sit here and devalue that to Twitch nor should anyone.
Hate, nobody cares about how he's getting a truck... except him it seems. Why else would he bring it up... over and over again. If this thread is really about what truck to get, why is he throwing out all these references to "hard work" or "rents" or "pride." Clearly, it's important to him that we all know where it's coming from.

Quote:
I work hard so I can have toys and stuff thats mine and came from my hard work. Its sorta pride in a way. Not to show off but just to show that I value work and whatever rewards come from that hard work.
I don't know a forum on the entire www where a 19 year old can come in with comments like this an not get called on the carpet. It's so rediculous, I'd almost swear it was a practical joke.
Old     (67King)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-16-2011, 5:55 AM Reply   
I would never tow with a gasoine turbo. Too much heat. If you are getting an F-150, check out the 5.0L. And drive them both, Ford is really pushing the Ecoboost, and I would be highly suspicous of marketing vehicles. Plus folks that I know that have driven both prefer the 5.0L. If you are looking at diesels, start looking at various forums. I've got a 6.7L Cummins. The issues with newer diesels is the after treatment, EGR, etc. You can take that stuff off, it is easy on the Cummins. I picked up about 4 MPG by taking off the particulate filter and EGR, and the truck is now reliable.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-16-2011, 7:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Hate, nobody cares about how he's getting a truck... except him it seems. Why else would he bring it up... over and over again. If this thread is really about what truck to get, why is he throwing out all these references to "hard work" or "rents" or "pride." Clearly, it's important to him that we all know where it's coming from
It didn't really come up until a couple other fellas brought up how he might be getting the truck and he wasn't the one that mentioned how, I was. I just don't feel we should decide what is hard work and what isn't. His parents offered this deal to him, he worked hard to accomplish the goal set forth so they are rewarding him. I have friends who work long hours in construction and they think my job is a joke and entails very little work but they'd fold under the mental stress of it. Twitch does come from a good family, none of this "Super Sweet 16" or "The Real Housewives..." crap. He knows he's fortunate, thus the justification of the purchase. Twitch has been around a long time and he's always been respectful.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-16-2011, 7:36 AM Reply   
67King, I have a 5.0 now and am lucky enough to get a new truck every 6 months. While I really love the 5.0 in my truck I intend to get and Eccoboost for my next truck.
Old     (ryansgt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-16-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
Must be nice. He's talking about the really lucky ones getting maseratis. I worked with my dad, sometimes roofing, sometimes electrical just to afford my 1991 base model eclipse with 132k on the odo and pay for school. I'm guessing the cost of school doesn't factor into this at all. Bought my 1992 supra because I had a major upgrade in pay when I started running a restaurant while going to school. Sold that and bought a house on the lake with a VLX and a tahoe(all used) when the college education started paying off.

You are right, not a single one of us would turn down a free meal, but really, pride. I know what it's like to be young and you won't know the meaning of pride until you've had to swallow it a few times.

But congrats on the new truck.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-16-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
I think if you like that new F150 Eco Boost then go for that! I haven't had a chance to drive one but I really want to. I honestly think the Eco Boost is going the way to go in the 1/2 ton truck segment and I am more of a Chevy guy than a Ford one.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-16-2011, 9:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
It didn't really come up until a couple other fellas brought up how he might be getting the truck and he wasn't the one that mentioned how, I was. I just don't feel we should decide what is hard work and what isn't. His parents offered this deal to him, he worked hard to accomplish the goal set forth so they are rewarding him. I have friends who work long hours in construction and they think my job is a joke and entails very little work but they'd fold under the mental stress of it. Twitch does come from a good family, none of this "Super Sweet 16" or "The Real Housewives..." crap. He knows he's fortunate, thus the justification of the purchase. Twitch has been around a long time and he's always been respectful.
Okay, Hate. Fair enough. Back on topic...

If I were faced with this decision, I'd get a new F-150 FX4 over a used diesel. And as far as the engines go, I would lean towards the 5.0 just because I like V-8's.

There are a few reasons I feel this way. The main one is that if you are in college, I have a hard time seeing a lifted SD or Ram on any college campus. Most colleges have tight parking, narrow streets, etc. An F-150 will be hard enough on a college campus. Another reason... I don't think a big 3/4 ton really suites your image... it's a middle-aged, working man's truck. I never see 19 year old kids driving them. But an F-150 feels more "versatile" in that I see lots of different people driving them. It's the #1 selling vehicle for a reason... it's not type-cast.

Then I'd lift it to make it look like this (I've posted this pic before... can't get enough of it):

And the reason is not money. Afterall, if you really want a diesel, why not just buy a new one. Budget doesn't seem to be a limiting factor for you or your rents. A new F-250 or
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-16-2011, 10:12 AM Reply   
What about a Raptor? 6.2 with 400+ hp and fox long travel stock! If i was you that's what i would be pushing for.

The ecoboost sounds like a great engine, but i would be very hesitant to by any new engine in its first year.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-16-2011, 10:16 AM Reply   
So get this I sold a Limited F150 (22's loaded) a couple weeks ago to the nicest old couple (mid 70's) that still like a little flash. They have to have snow tires on their rigs so he goes out and gets those rims in 20's with snow tires on them. I didn't even know they made snow tires in 20's
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-16-2011, 10:35 AM Reply   
Another vote for the Eco-boost. 90% of the daily utility of a diesel (unless you're hauling a house), all of the nice, new interior gizmos, a long warranty and even better fuel economy.

Pimp it out once you get out of school if you still want to.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-16-2011, 11:02 AM Reply   
Thanks again Hate. Im gonna shoot you a FB message or something and try and figure something out. We took a guess at a price of a new FX4 after tax and all and it wasn't very relaxing I guess you could say.

A new F-150 is a butt load of money... way more then I expect myself to be able to dish out for quite a while. Im trying to lay everything out so I can assure my parents it wont be a bad investment whether it be a diesel or an F-150. Hell a new F-150 cost more then the truck my dad drives. Its not something my parents are just gonna say okay its yours. Theres a lot of thought going into it and I dont expect to get an answer for a while. Just trying to to my research to help speed it up. Sounds like F-150 is winning this one though. It seems it will be more reliable in many ways; gas, repairs, safety etc.

DBC I agree that a big diesel is for the working man, I do do a lot of hauling for my pops but I think a diesel would be a overkill as Im not towing anything over 4 or 5k. I've just always really liked diesel engines as well as the big trucks. And as for getting around school it would be a tight fit but I've gotten used to maneuvering an excursion quite well so I wouldnt have too much trouble, but again I agree, its overkill.

Im an innovative guy and I really like technological advancement specially when it comes to motors. Thats why I like this ecoboost so much. Have any of you watched the torture tests they did? I found that to be pretty cool. Once I watched that I really started going for it. Obviously ford had to fluff those videos up a bit but the main idea is still there I think. They beat that engine to a pulp and it still was within the threshold limits of a new one.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-16-2011, 1:16 PM Reply   
Twitch,

You are right... the new F-150 is not cheap. And I can also appreciate the fact that you want to be wise with your folk's money.

With that said, have you considered a used F-150? I have always liked the '04 + body style (I used to own an '05 FX4 SuperCrew). You won't get the Ecodrive or the Sync. But you will save aprox. $20K. That might be a nice option while you're in college. And you won't have to go ask your dad for a truck that's nicer than his!

There are tons on the market, and they look sweet lifted. A few examples...

Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-16-2011, 2:01 PM Reply   
I have the ecoboost engine in the F150, and I would not get any other engine! It gets great gas mileage, and tows like no gas engine I have ever had. I had the older f150 with the 5.7 and it is not even in the same ballpark as the ecoboost. In addition the gas mileage you get with the ecoboost is unparralled. The ecoboost has more horsepower, torque and gets better gas mileage than the 5.0., and it has 1300 LBS more towing capacity 11,300 LBS, the most of any engine in a Ford! To me it is the best of both worlds!

Last edited by desotodave; 03-16-2011 at 2:05 PM. Reason: add text
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-16-2011, 9:01 PM Reply   
DBC Those are some nice lookin rigs. I do really like the old V8's and there nice growl buttt the 5.4 are just too gutless! what are they rated at like 305hp? dont scold me if thats way off....And they suck gas like nobodies business dont they? every V8 I know is a mega guzzler.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-17-2011, 5:33 AM Reply   
Do you guys think that the prices of the used trucks are going to drop with the price of gas going to $5.00 a gallon? I'm starting to see people wanting to sell their trucks for better gas mileage, but haven't really seen the prices drop for an overpriced used truck.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-17-2011, 5:56 AM Reply   
i had a f150 crew and hated that 4-5 ft bed, but i use my truck as a truck, and most likely in college you wont need a bigger bed. my next truck will be long bed
Old     (HighVoltage)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-17-2011, 9:28 AM Reply   
For the Truck decision i would go with the EcoBoost F150. I've heard nothing but good things about it. That's coming from a Chevy/GMC guy.

Maybe I did it wrong, but I got good grades in college for myself so that I could graduate and get a job to get money to pay off my student loans that I took out to go to college so I could get that good job. Then once those student loans were under control I took on truck and motorcycles payments and built my boat with my own blood, sweat and bank roll loan free. But that's not real hard work like getting good grades for 1 term to make my parents happy.

Haters will hate, but don't be surprised.

<--- Youngest owner of an Epic 23V
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-17-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
Shmoe- I've noticed that too. Some people are out of their minds asking what they are for a used truck. I look at so many ads and instantly return to the search page because you can see right away that this person is not in touch with reality. No one is going to drop +55k on a truck with poor mileage and over 40k miles. Some poeple just dont realize ( or dont want to realize) that we are still in a dump of an economy.

88201- isnt it a 5 1/2 ft bed? Howcome you hated it? I plan on getting the short bed 1. because I like the looks better and 2. its cheaper. I ride Motocross and was just planning on dropping the tailgate and having an extended bed gate for when I do that. You think that will work?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-17-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
isnt it a 5 1/2 ft bed? Howcome you hated it? I plan on getting the short bed 1. because I like the looks better and 2. its cheaper. I ride Motocross and was just planning on dropping the tailgate and having an extended bed gate for when I do that. You think that will work?
Yes the short box is 5.5 and the long is 6.5 I too prefer the 5.5 both in looks and ease of parking in the garage. Yes you can drop the tailgate and fit your bike in, we offer a bed extender that folds away to the side of the bed so when its not in use its not overly obtrusive.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-17-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
Since you know Hate and he is in the business I would just sit down with him and go over some numbers. He is most likely going to give you the best deal you are going to find. I say this from just going through my own truck dilemma and dealing with a friend who is in the business.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-17-2011, 8:36 PM Reply   
it wouldnt hold a 6 ft ladder, surfboard, a fishing pole, without sticking out, add a toolbox and you got a ford avalanch, or a fullsize sportrac. imo its too short, my f250 6.5 bed is questionable, but way better, its all personal pref, you haul a wakeboard and a cooler than it will be fine. that black truck above does look nice. i dont really go to the mall so parking has never been an issue, im healthy enough to walk a few feet further
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-23-2011, 10:47 AM Reply   
What are you guys' take on duramax diesels? I dont know too much about them but I really like chevy trucks as well. I do know that allison trannys are the best out there though... at least thats what I've heard
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-23-2011, 11:19 AM Reply   
how about an older diesel? I have an 02 F350 and the thing is a freakin animal, its over kill for towing the boat, but the 7.3L will last forever. With gas and diesel prices going up, youll be able to find an 02 for like 10-15k, and as long as the prev owner took care of it, you can easily get 300+ thousand miles out of it. Its more expensive to drive and maintain, but its not really as bad as everyone makes it out to be. and with that extra change you save buying an older truck, get a bike, so you can ride it everywhere with me when diesel hits 5 bucks! hahaha

If you want a diesel engine that will last your best bet will be the 7.3L Powerstroke. The older cummins are solid too, but the 7.3L is just an awesome motor. its not the most powerful but its definitely the most reliable in that year range.

Last edited by ilikebeaverandboats; 03-23-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-23-2011, 11:24 AM Reply   
If I get a powerstroke it will definitely be a 7.3. Buts its really hard to find them with low miles. What sorta problems have you run into with yours? whats your mpg?
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       03-23-2011, 12:07 PM Reply   
My powerstroke 2001, gets 13.5 all around average on 35's. It has the Banks stinger plus kit on it also. I had to replace the transmission at 95K, the high pressure oil pump at 105K, the glow plug module, and the water pump. Other than that its an awesome truck. By the way I knew the tranny was going to fail eventually b/c of the banks upgrade. Now I have a suncoast performance tranny in it. It's really nice.