Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-24-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
All trucks have gotten pretty expensive. I'm NOT considering a new truck.

You can pick up '07 or '08 Sierra Denali in the mid to low $30's.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-24-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
That's a little better... I co-worker of mine was looking at a new Denali truck and it seemed like he could've got it for around $45K. For the money, and even for what you stated a used one would go for, I'd be in the diesel truck market. Better tow rig, and almost as good daily driver.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-24-2010, 1:23 PM Reply   
John, do you drive a diesel as a daily driver?

I'm struggling with this. I'd love a diesel for the towing prowess, but I just worry that I'll hate driving something so big every day.

Check out this one I'm looking at... for sale locally:

I just wish it had a bench seat in front so I could get the entire family (6) into it.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/1564775550.html

Upload
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-24-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
"but I just worry that I'll hate driving something so big every day."

^^Good looking truck DBC, the diesel is not any bigger than the Denali, (assuming same size bed)

I have at least a half dozen friends that drive diesels as daily drivers. Gas or diesel, they're all big trucks.
Old     (02redws6ta)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-24-2010, 3:34 PM Reply   
Driving a 1/2 ton Denali and 3/4 ton diesel are two different animals. Specially a lifted 3/4 ton diesel.

My lifted 3/4 ton diesel rides like a train, I put up with it because I love it though. It sucks to park, ride in, drive in traffic, and do pretty much anything other than tow.

My g/f's 2009 1/2 ton GMC with a Rough Country 3" lift is 100% better for anything but towing.
Old     (cwfletch)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-24-2010, 4:15 PM Reply   
The little woman drives the 09 F250 and I cruise the Yaris (how does that work again?). Daily driving is the same in a diesel as a gas truck.
First lifted truck was a 04 5.3l 1500 9" lift, 37s and 4.56, did GREAT around town, SUXED on gas and the highway (empty).
Second lifted truck 02 7.3l F250 8" lift, 40s and 4.56, much BETTER all around, 16 mpg @ 75 hwy, plenty of power and would tow.
Current is the 09 6.4l F250 0" lift, after two trucks it is really pointless unless you absolutely need to throw thousands of bucks away to impress someone else.
With that being said if I ever decided to impress someone else again I would ONLY lift a diesel.
It's not the lift that kills your performance and braking; it is tire weight (inertial mass). Those 35, 37, 40s weigh significantly more than stock and consume a large amount of HP/TRQ.
As a Ford guy I would choose a 7.3 over a 6.0 any day, maybe a 2007 but even then I would bump the VIN through a Ford dealer for warranty repair. I didn't mention 6.4 bc your price range.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-24-2010, 5:05 PM Reply   
DBC, I've had many trucks, all daily drivers, and the favorite of all of them was an 06 Chevy crew cab LBZ Duramax. It's no longer than a normal crew cab truck, just that the body is 2" higher off the frame than the 1/2 ton. With a few small mods they'll get better fuel economy than the 1/2 ton on daily stuff, but the most important is that when you're towing, you'll get as good or better than the fuel economy compared a 1/2 ton with city driving.

If I had a truck that was a daily driver right now, you can bet your buttocks it would be a diesel. Even though I could afford a newer one, I'd prefer the 06-07 with LBZ and 6-speed Allison. I just like those trucks a lot better. My wife has a Denali and I see no reason to have 2 trucks, so my daily now is an 04 Caddy CTS-V....
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-25-2010, 7:03 AM Reply   
Currently with my 2009 Chevy Crew Cab LTZ with the 6.2 Liter I have been getting 14.5 around town and 16 on the highway.
I have yet to tow with it, but did load the bed up.

We have plant in Columbus,OH and Cookeville,TN on my return trip 2 weeks ago we had to shift some tooling and plastic from the TN plant to OH. I had about 1,100 pounds of plastic and 2 aluminum / steel molds around 200 pounds each. Yes the bed dropped more than the 3/4 ton would have, but the power from the truck while in tow mode was on equal to the duramax during the trip I averaged 15.6 mpg. For those who visit Dale Hollow or Lake Cumberland I take a back way from Cookeville to Lexington, it's hilly and mostly 2 lanes but saves about 60 miles. It's rt 111 to rt 127 over the Cumberland Dam.

Upload