Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-23-2013, 8:33 AM Reply   
Has anyone every plasti dipped the fenders on a jeep wrangler?
Most of the older Wrangler's fenders fade and look crappy after time (hard to see in the pic, but the black plastic fender flares). I thought I would ask before I tried it and see if anyone else has done it. If it does not take well it just peels off easy right?
Attached Images

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-23-2013, 10:32 AM Reply   
Use this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bondo-Rest...k-8oz/17056869

Bondo Restore Black. it actually dyes the flares and it also worked great on the bed of my wife's Honda Ridgeline.

You would have had better luck posting in a jeep forum by the way. But I have a Jeep, so I'll give you my recommendation.
Old     (suthaforce)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-23-2013, 11:17 AM Reply   
give this a shot. I know a lot of guys that use this on their wranglers. I bought some for my Jeep and ended up using it on my Polaris ranger and was pretty impressed by the results. This was a couple months ago, and my ranger sits in the sun down by the lake a lot and still looks like the day I put it on.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/91083_510.htm
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-23-2013, 2:24 PM Reply   
Use black satin rattle can, lasts much longer.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-23-2013, 7:36 PM Reply   
If you still want to go PlastiDip, I can give you some recommendations.. Keep your cans warm, always give them a HEALTHY shake before using (2-3mins) and tape and plastic off ANYWHERE that could get overspray on it. Find a warm day with dead winds or a big garage or something of the sorts. I've been meaning to go get one of those tent-type garages for my dip projects. Make sure you do mulitple coats, but keep the first few very light, almost to the point where you cant tell you added a coat. I generally do 5 coats and it gives me a good consistent thickness throughout. Yes it will peel, but only if you get under it. It really takes a lot of wear to make it peel itself, also the overspray doesn't peel clean, so to reiterate, make sure you're taping and covering the non-dipped areas very well. Best of luck!
Old    kx250frider617            07-23-2013, 10:22 PM Reply   
Man i wanted to do this to my whole truck in charcoal grey but it's illegal in CA for anything more than a spray can.
Old     (Jester)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-23-2013, 11:10 PM Reply   
Diggs, A shop in Eugene PlastiDips whole cars so you should not have an issue with fenders. And you are correct if you do not like it just peel it off.
Old     (nautiboy614)      Join Date: Dec 2010       07-24-2013, 6:41 AM Reply   
I dipped my entire Escalade orange to match my boat, might peel it next week and I can let you know how it goes.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-24-2013, 6:45 AM Reply   
Thanks guys!
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-24-2013, 7:18 AM Reply   
I've plasti dipped my whole golf cart including the wheels. I didn't like the wheels being flat black, so I just peeled it off the wheels and exposed the chrome. Looks good as new under there. Go for it!
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-26-2013, 8:54 PM Reply   
Rustoleum Bedliner
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-26-2013, 11:27 PM Reply   
Just a heads up guys, even paint that claims it sticks to plastic it doesn't well or permanently. I spray automotive paint and to get ANY spray materials to sticks to these textured plastics you have to wash it with dish soap clean it dry then spray it with Bulldog Adehsion promoter (follow directions to a T) then paints and etc will stick permanently.
Bulldog (spray can) is able to be bought at an automotive paint shop or better yet online for about $12 a can. One can goes at least four fenders