Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       02-04-2014, 8:19 AM Reply   
Hey, I'm curious if any of you have some good recommendations for a weight training routine that is focused on boardsports.

I'm the type of person that doesn't typically enjoy going to to the gym for the sake of going to the gym. I like to be active. I snowboard about every weekend all winter. And I wakeboard and wakesurf during the summer.

I have access to gym equipment at my work. They have all the various free weights and they do have one of the big machines that has lots of options. (I can't give specifics because honestly I haven't ever used the on site resources).

So, if any of you could recommend some stuff to start putting into a routine, that would be great. I figure that I might as well take advantage of the onsite equipment and get in a quick workout after work before going home...
Old     (brithunsicker)      Join Date: Jan 2014       02-04-2014, 4:46 PM Reply   
Push ups and crunches, best work out there is. I've got in the habit of doing 100 push ups and 200 crunches every day. Switch up to on narrow or wide push ups. It works most of your upper body.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-04-2014, 5:15 PM Reply   
Cardio every day... then rotate your workouts. If Im in the gym I always do cardio for at least 30 minutes, the upper or lower body and then finish with abs/core try to give your arms or legs a break by rotating but do cardio/core everyday. push ups are good, swiss ball squat thrusts, Russian twists if you have a bosu ball and some kettlebells you can work yourself into the ground pretty easily and work out al thos balance muscles too. I do some traditional lifting too but that's just so I can fit in
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-04-2014, 6:30 PM Reply   
The biggest thing about boardsports is injury prevention. Do a lot of single leg work - work on your VMO to build strong knees - lots of full range squat variations, lunges, RDLs etc. Focus on core stability - mainly trunk rotational stability - mason twists, lower russian twists, woodchoppers, plank, plank with row etc. Conditioning helps a lot too - yea running is great but nothing beats a good conditioning workout like a dumbbell burpee and press. Work both push and pull muscles - yes wake boarding uses mainly your back but working push muscle would help balance it out. Last is flexibility - use a good DYNAMIC warm up and finish of with a good static stretch, google PNF Stretching which i the best for increasing ROM.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       02-04-2014, 7:14 PM Reply   
Yep.... Squats, lunges, and core core core.... If u can get them individually p90x core synergistics and plyometrics DVDs are great. Mix that up with the pushups and crunches and u would be golden. I do p90x every week. I'm 6'1" 225 and it has been great to me. I lost 119 pounds on p90x with dieting. Took me 15 months.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-05-2014, 12:57 AM Reply   
I definitely need to start something like this. Just recovering from a knee injury, so I have not been as active as I like in the off season. Subscribed for suggestions.
I still plan on getting a half round foam roller for balance training.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-05-2014, 6:32 AM Reply   
whoa mike congrats on that. I started 4 hour body about a month ago ... i'm 6'4 215 down about 20 so far. Just added T25 today. I like it better than P90X b/c the time commitment is much smaller .. its a pure core workout for the most part. and 25 minutes flies by.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-05-2014, 8:02 AM Reply   
I personally think well balanced strength is important. Strong legs will help keep your knees stable and prevent injury as well as help you boost and control landings better. Abs are important for any kind of body rotation to initiare tricks, upper body strength is really necessary for holding onto tricks you may not normally land and of course help prevent your arms from getting pulled out too much. Flexibility is important and cardio helps thru marathon pulls. There's really nothing you should skip
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       02-05-2014, 8:15 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the insight. Sounds like the best thing is to just be doing SOMETHING. Going from nothing to riding back to nothing isn't doing my body any favors. Not to mention being out of the younger age demographics!
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-05-2014, 8:22 AM Reply   
kettlebells are a great full body workout. I do cardio, kettlebells and supplement with yoga and I feel great!
Old    rullery            02-05-2014, 8:30 AM Reply   
do your weight routine on an indo board or balance board. no better way to activate those muscles and muscle memory used in the board sprts world
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-05-2014, 11:45 AM Reply   
I am like you and like to be active as well. I occasionally went to the gym and worked out but it eventually got boring to me. I decided to give crossfit a try a couple months ago and I really enjoy it. They do a lot of legs and core work which is something I hated doing at the gym but it's extremely necessary. Anyway if you have workout stuff at home you might get the daily workout routines online and try them at home. My local cross fit gym gives people one week of free workouts to try it out as well so maybe something like that would be available where you're at. Anyway, I like it because it keeps me active and pushes me harder than I would normally push myself working out alone. Some people have the drive to push themselves to the brink working out by themselves… I don't. I need that competitive atmosphere.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       02-05-2014, 11:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beleza View Post
I am like you and like to be active as well. I occasionally went to the gym and worked out but it eventually got boring to me. I decided to give crossfit a try a couple months ago and I really enjoy it. They do a lot of legs and core work which is something I hated doing at the gym but it's extremely necessary. Anyway if you have workout stuff at home you might get the daily workout routines online and try them at home. My local cross fit gym gives people one week of free workouts to try it out as well so maybe something like that would be available where you're at. Anyway, I like it because it keeps me active and pushes me harder than I would normally push myself working out alone. Some people have the drive to push themselves to the brink working out by themselves… I don't. I need that competitive atmosphere.
Interesting. Yeah, Crossfit seems to be the new rage these days. And yeah, we have lots of them around here. IIRC they are pretty damn expensive though. But I guess you're paying for the social aspect, the training, as well as the discipline. I probably won't go that route as it'd be a pretty big time commitment.
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-05-2014, 2:06 PM Reply   
Crossfit is dumb as f*ck
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-05-2014, 2:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedidonato90 View Post
Crossfit is dumb as f*ck
this.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-05-2014, 6:24 PM Reply   
dont do crossfit, its retarded

Keep it simple

Full range squats - work up to at least 100kg and aim for 10+ reps
Deadlifts - work up 120kg and aim for 8+ reps
Pull ups - body weight by 20 reps, once accomplished add weight
Push ups - work up to 40 reps once accomplished add weight

Do sprint/interval training 2 x week for conditioning

This is a real simple program that will make you strong/ explosive but not bulky like a bodybuilder.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-05-2014, 7:16 PM Reply   
To say cross fit is dumb as f*uck and retarded is well dumb as f*ck and retarded. It may not be for you guys but come on. That sweet workout regime you have there is nice but try doing that over and over for months. It gets boring. That's why people stop working out.

I am not going to sit here and and go on and on about how crossfit is the greatest since sliced bread, but I enjoy it and can see and feel plenty of results. Millions of people wouldn't pay top dollar to do it if it was dumb as f*ck and retarded. Your responses sound like they came from someone with 2 brain cells.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-06-2014, 6:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beleza View Post
Millions of people wouldn't pay top dollar to do it if it was dumb as f*ck and retarded. Your responses sound like they came from someone with 2 brain cells.
okay then let me put it to you in a logical way.

crossfit is good marketing. A select few get strong and shredded by doing ridiculous olympic lifts with a group. I'm sorry that you're not motivated on your own and can't go to the gym and lift weights and perform HIIT to build muscle and burn fat while boosting your metabolism without a class, and that you spend large amounts of money on cross-fit. How cross fit "works" is beyond me, mixing catabolic and anabolic processes into one workout... its honestly more just a way to get most sedentary people moving with a group, sure you'll get in shape but, lets be honest you can do better.

If you don't know what you're doing in the gym I can easily see how it gets boring. Start with mixed lifts, compound muscle groups, which helps ignite gains initially, think and lift like an athlete rather than a body builder. As you move you will plateau and probably will have to step up to more of a body building type split. This is where things start to get fun not boring, changing your split to keep your muscles in shock etc is a lot of hard work. I can and do spend 1.5-2 hours at a time lifting one targeted area, and it feels great. You have to plan your food and sleep to peak your gains and experiment with different routines.

plus kipping pull-ups.... just why...

Last edited by simplej; 02-06-2014 at 6:26 AM.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-06-2014, 8:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
okay then let me put it to you in a logical way.

crossfit is good marketing. A select few get strong and shredded by doing ridiculous olympic lifts with a group. I'm sorry that you're not motivated on your own and can't go to the gym and lift weights and perform HIIT to build muscle and burn fat while boosting your metabolism without a class, and that you spend large amounts of money on cross-fit. How cross fit "works" is beyond me, mixing catabolic and anabolic processes into one workout... its honestly more just a way to get most sedentary people moving with a group, sure you'll get in shape but, lets be honest you can do better.

If you don't know what you're doing in the gym I can easily see how it gets boring. Start with mixed lifts, compound muscle groups, which helps ignite gains initially, think and lift like an athlete rather than a body builder. As you move you will plateau and probably will have to step up to more of a body building type split. This is where things start to get fun not boring, changing your split to keep your muscles in shock etc is a lot of hard work. I can and do spend 1.5-2 hours at a time lifting one targeted area, and it feels great. You have to plan your food and sleep to peak your gains and experiment with different routines.

plus kipping pull-ups.... just why...
I agree with all of this. if Cross fit gets you in the gym then great, but at some point you need to start really understanding how to exercise on your own and in a scientific and efficient way.
Cross fit has a high likely hood of injury due to a lack of form and a misuse of power lifts.

Millions of people do it, that's great, but that doesn't make it a good exercise program any more than millions of girls loving bieber makes him a talented artist.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-06-2014, 8:30 AM Reply   
Crossfit isn't anything 'new' or even different. It is just a combination of training systems packaged under a name. Most crossfit people train using popular strength systems such as 5/3/1 or Madcow. Bodybuilders also use high intensity giant sets these days so really not so far from CF. HIIT is common for most conditioning programmes so again, nothing unique.

Most people who do CF train for strength and add in a met con workout at the end of their session. But most who progress to a decent standard of lifts are training on their own i.e not just doing work out of the day in box.

Anyway.....back to the OP. I reckon if you've got say 3 months til you are back on the water why not plan to improve your body across all aspects if you are not bothered about a specific area.

Week 1-3 - Flexibility and Stability work
Week 4-6 - Strength
Week 7-9 - Higher Volume Work
Week 10-12 - Conditioning
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-06-2014, 10:28 AM Reply   
mixing Oly lifts with HIIT is dumb as f*ck plain and simple OLy lftings and conditioning are on opposite ends of the training spectrum they should never be mixed. FYI I am a strength and conditioning coach and have a little more than 2 brain cells. Plus they preach olympic lifting not teach - there is a difference.
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-06-2014, 10:29 AM Reply   
i would switch the volume and the strength - you need to create some size so the joints can handle the load
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-06-2014, 10:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
mixing Oly lifts with HIIT is dumb as f*ck plain and simple
Why? Oly lifts, whilst technical I grant you, are just a method of shifting a weight.

HIIT is just a method of raising the heart rate.

There is no reason why the two can't be combined if done properly.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-06-2014, 10:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
i would switch the volume and the strength - you need to create some size so the joints can handle the load
Not sure it really matters. If anything I would say you need to get stronger before you get bigger.

how does size help the joints?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-06-2014, 11:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooya View Post
Why? Oly lifts, whilst technical I grant you, are just a method of shifting a weight.

ya but you shouldn't do HIIT while you do olympic lifts, they should be on different days of your split. You're making your metabolism do 2 different things. separating them is healthier. You #1 will build muscle rather than just activate them, which in turn burns more calories at rest and provides strength and #2 actually build mitochondria while to boost your metabolism by separating them instead of just confusing your body catabolic/anabolic cycles
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-06-2014, 11:18 AM Reply   
B^ut I guess that depends on the goal of the individual does it not. And whilst I agree it may not be an optimal way to train. (I always believe for specific goal you should train in a specific way) you should still be able to get stronger this way.

BTW, the extra calories burnt at rest from added muscle has been recently shown to be insignificant.
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-06-2014, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Not sure it really matters. If anything I would say you need to get stronger before you get bigger.

how does size help the joints?
Its not just muscle size but also of ligaments and tendons - hypertrophy phase will help increase stabilization in the shoulders and knees - thats my view and and the view of majority of strength coaches
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-06-2014, 11:39 AM Reply   
Quote:

Try doing a snatch or C&J after doing tire flips or prowler or rowing 500m or running 400m - you are already fatigued and the stabilization is the first to go.

Oly lifts are meant to be technical and done for low repetitions - 5 max.

Im sorry but nothing you say will change the fact that Olympic lifting and HIIT conditioning should be separate.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-06-2014, 1:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
I view of majority of strength coaches
If you say so but whilst I can't speak for everyone I do know a couple coaches for international sports I can assure you they would get you building strength before doing high volume work.

Edit: And just to be clear. When I am talking about strength I am not talking about working towards a 1rm in 3 weeks for someone like the op.

Last edited by Hooya; 02-06-2014 at 1:17 PM.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-06-2014, 1:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
you are already fatigued and the stabilization is the first to go.

So by that account you can cut out most lifts if in HIIT not just Olys if you are worried about fatigue.

In HIIT a weight is not meant to be done for any specific rep numbers. It is all about the heart rate. So if you want to do 20 cleans with a lighter weight there is nothing to say that will be inherently more dangerous than doing your 1 rep max.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-06-2014, 1:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Try doing a snatch or C&J after doing tire flips or prowler or rowing 500m or running 400m - you are already fatigued and the stabilization is the first to go.

Oly lifts are meant to be technical and done for low repetitions - 5 max.

Im sorry but nothing you say will change the fact that Olympic lifting and HIIT conditioning should be separate.
Stabilization and form are the first to go. I agree Oly lifts are meant to be done technical, but you can do light weight higher rep sets with them also. It's a great way to fix form issues and retrain the body to do them properly, but these should also be done technically, not in the crossfit mind set of doing as fast as you can.... That's where the real issues arise.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-06-2014, 1:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
So by that account you can cut out most lifts if in HIIT not just Olys if you are worried about fatigue.

In HIIT a weight is not meant to be done for any specific rep numbers. It is all about the heart rate. So if you want to do 20 cleans with a lighter weight there is nothing to say that will be inherently more dangerous than doing your 1 rep max.
Except as you fatigue you loose the ability to do them properly and increase the chance for injury.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-06-2014, 1:16 PM Reply   
This thread is hilarious.

I'm not a crossfiter, but I respect it. It's very difficult and requires a lot of motivation and discipline. Most people can't handle it.

It encompasses fully integrated, functional movements, and ignores all of the old school body building isolation BS and worthless machines. Next to knowing how to train on your own (which very few do) it's the best way to achieve full blown athlete status in a short period..

It also requires an imbalance free body. If you walk into crossfit and try to keep up with limited mobility (tight muscles) and muscular imbalances, you can get hurt. But to say crossfit is stupid is pretty ignorant. The most fit and athletic people that I know are Crossfitters.

Wakeboard is core (mostly lower back), and back/biceps. Spine erectors and glutes work againt the resistance of the boat to keep you upright, and your pelvis in alignment. It uses squat pattern and pull pattern. So if you want to strengthen your wakeboarding muscles, do a lot of front and back squats, a lot of single leg squat patterns like lunges in both sagital and front planes (lateral), and a lot of oblique and lower back work (spine extension). Row.

Crunches and pushups are the full opposite of what you use in wakeboarding, but its good to work everything equally to maintain balance. Push, pull, squat. Everyday.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-06-2014, 1:23 PM Reply   
HIIT is great, but there are better ways to do HIIT than with weights. I do HIIT 4 days a week with 20 mins of sprints and fast walks.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-06-2014, 1:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
Except as you fatigue you loose the ability to do them properly and increase the chance for injury.
Most injuries in lifting come during the high weight low rep cycles.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-06-2014, 1:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
HIIT is great, but there are better ways to do HIIT than with weights. I do HIIT 4 days a week with 20 mins of sprints and fast walks.
You may prefer them but again it is about heart rate. elevation. If you can get that where you want it just doing "20 mins of sprints and fast walks" but weighted conditioning work takes most people to who other level.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-06-2014, 1:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post

I'm not a crossfiter, but I respect it. It's very difficult and requires a lot of motivation and discipline. Most people can't handle it.

It encompasses fully integrated, functional movements, and ignores all of the old school body building isolation BS and worthless machines. Next to knowing how to train on your own (which very few do) it's the best way to achieve full blown athlete status in a short period..

It also requires an imbalance free body. If you walk into crossfit and try to keep up with limited mobility (tight muscles) and muscular imbalances, you can get hurt. But to say crossfit is stupid is pretty ignorant. The most fit and athletic people that I know are Crossfitters.

Isolation movements still have their place in a well rounded routine. The only really in shape crossfitters I know are the ones that mix cross fit with normal weight training and cardio. It all has it's place, crossfit is much more a group orientated activity vs the more indavidual approach. My major issues are the fact that they misuse and mistrain complex power lifts for time, and the cult quality the surrounds it.

I remember when crossfit was just a wod you did off the internet vs paying $100 a month to do some lame group work at a crossfit "box". Crossfit itself is fine, have done plenty of it, but it's what it's become that's terrible
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-06-2014, 1:31 PM Reply   
Quote:

Me neither, but recently have been following a few people on forums to learn more about it. It is amazing how un-unique it actually is but they don't half put up with some unjust keyboard warrior hate.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-06-2014, 1:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
You may prefer them but again it is about heart rate. elevation. If you can get that where you want it just doing "20 mins of sprints and fast walks" but weighted conditioning work takes most people to who other level.
I was a trainer for almost a decade, I've done plenty of weighted HIIT, and don't see that it takes me anywhere more than sprints, though I do like to throw in sled work when I'm at a gym that has them
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-06-2014, 1:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
I , though I do like to throw in sled work when I'm at a gym that has them
there you go
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-06-2014, 1:47 PM Reply   
anyway..could a thread go off tangent an more? I'd etter leave it here.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-06-2014, 1:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Most injuries in lifting come during the high weight low rep cycles.
From what? Inexperience bro's adding plates when they should be adding tens?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-06-2014, 2:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Isolation movements still have their place in a well rounded routine. The only really in shape crossfitters I know are the ones that mix cross fit with normal weight training and cardio. It all has it's place, crossfit is much more a group orientated activity vs the more indavidual approach. My major issues are the fact that they misuse and mistrain complex power lifts for time, and the cult quality the surrounds it.

I remember when crossfit was just a wod you did off the internet vs paying $100 a month to do some lame group work at a crossfit "box". Crossfit itself is fine, have done plenty of it, but it's what it's become that's terrible
From time to time I'll blast a muscle group for an hour, but it's really not needed for most. It's for vanity, or rehab / repair. For wakeboarding, there are better ways to spend your time. .

Also, when you say powerlifts, are you referring to the use of Olympic lifts like cleans, snatches, and overheads? They are popular in Crossfit, but they are typically used in a circuit and done at higher reps that a powerlifter would do. These movements are integrated, full body movements, which I'm a fan of for athletes.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-06-2014, 2:23 PM Reply   
Look, it would be equally as hard for a cross fitter to bench 6 plates for reps as it would be for Arnold to do 100 Kipling pull-ups, but your in shape friends are in shape for a different reason than cross fit: dedication.

I can tthink of many things that make cross for worse than a traditional body building, muscle building fat burning routine. You don't do cross fit to make gains. Add to that groups of people changing battle cries that encourage poor form rather than preach a perfect rep and you're asking for trouble. Just like anything you can't be stupid and It has it's place but there's a major major difference between strength building and crossfitting...
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-06-2014, 2:23 PM Reply   
this always seems to happen when a couple meatheads get together...
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-06-2014, 2:27 PM Reply   
Oh yea all us meatheads... Causing so much trouble....
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-06-2014, 2:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
From time to time I'll blast a muscle group for an hour, but it's really not needed for most. It's for vanity, or rehab / repair. For wakeboarding, there are better ways to spend your time. .

Also, when you say powerlifts, are you referring to the use of Olympic lifts like cleans, snatches, and overheads? They are popular in Crossfit, but they are typically used in a circuit and done at higher reps that a powerlifter would do. These movements are integrated, full body movements, which I'm a fan of for athletes.
You shouldn't be a fan of that, it's not a positive to do those lifts in a group setting in a circuit with poor technique for high reps and speed. In fact that's one of the major things I dislike about today's crossfit. Such a huge risk of injury.

Crossfit is far form the only workout routine that uses compound movements. in fact if you routine isn't based on them, then you need a new routine. I just believe they should be done properly to prevent injury, where in crossfit that's not possible

Last edited by cjh1669; 02-06-2014 at 2:33 PM.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-06-2014, 2:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Oh yea all us meatheads... Causing so much trouble....
Always wonder about people who use the term like there is something wrong with staying in shape...
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-06-2014, 4:38 PM Reply   
I have yet to see a thread attract more dudes in "super-try-hard-mode" for quite a while......
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-06-2014, 6:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDirt View Post
I have yet to see a thread attract more dudes in "super-try-hard-mode" for quite a while......
Super Try hard mode? what because we are talking about why people dislike/like cross fit? Its called a discussion board - people are going to argue.

Anywho, one of the biggest thing i don't like about cross fit is that average joe's see the games on TV want to be rich fronning and C&J 225 for 30 reps. Olympic lifting is a very technical movement that requires huge amounts of strength, power, speed , mobility and stability. Oly lifting is not something a "bro" can just go and do after benching 315 for reps. It takes years for athletes to develop the right movement patterns, mobility, stability and strength to begin Oly lifting.

When it comes to HIIT aka conditioning if sprints work - fine, but nothing beats tire flips, battle ropes or the prowler in my eyes.

When it comes to wake boarding the general "muscle building" "meathead" style would work to gain strength and size in important muscles and joints like the knees and shoulders. Mobility is a requirement obviously. As the season approaches is where PLyos should be included and also conditioning too. I feel like cross fit places too much stress on the joints without teaching proper technique - joints can become overworked and not heal properly.

Cross fit has had some positives: they incorporate functional movements, open peoples minds to other types of lifting (most of the Oly lifters i know started at cross fit), and HIIT. How the incorporate them is my issue - keep them separate, create a proper program design and build a good, efficient, strong, structurally sound athlete. This will take years.