Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-04-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
Is there any potential problems with buying a brand new boat that has been sitting around for over two years?
Old     (xtrememarine)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-04-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
No, just make sure it has low hours and the dealer is in good shape so they can take care of your warranty work. 2009 product year never really happened, and you'll find that dealers have many 2008 still available and what better is that the prices are right since they have 2010's coming in, great time to buy!
Old     (wrchase)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-04-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
I just bought a brand new '08. I say take advantage of it and get the lowest possible price. What boat is it that you are looking at?
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-04-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
I wouldn't be scared of it, but yes, there are some potential fuel issues. They wouldn't turn me away from the boat, but they could cause a few minor headaches. If it's an 07, it very well could have been built in 06 at some point. Gas goes bad with time, and this is especially true in states that use ethanol. A can of stabil will also tell you that it's only good for a limited period of time. It's not a boat, but I bought a jetski that had been sitting for 2 years. The gas had gone bad, and I had to have the carbs cleaned out. No biggie, and after a fairly cheap repair, it runs great. But, I did lose water time and got stranded out on the water. Open the gas cap up and take a whiff. The smell can sometimes tell you if the gas is bad.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-04-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
I am looking at an Enzo
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-04-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
You could have a 3rd party mechanic look at the engine. Also, if it is a Repo and has a warranty, call Centurion (Fineline Industries) and ask them how the warranty will work and who else can do warranty work in your area if the dealer is not close/or around in a year. If you also give Centurion the hull number they will also tell you when the boat was built (an 07 could easily have been built in Oct 06)

I bought an 08 Centurion Avalanche in March 09 and it has been great.

Post on www.centurioncrew.com as well. There are guys on there that know a lot about the Enzo and have purchased left over boats as well.

(Message edited by LakeSurfer on November 04, 2009)
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-04-2009, 11:50 AM Reply   
Just factor in the extra wear and tear - seats, fading, etc. I am not sure about your dealer, but most dealers leave boats outside and don't really take care of them like you would if it were your own.

There is a good chance that boat has been sitting in the weather for 3 years.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-04-2009, 12:04 PM Reply   
I bought a new 07 at the beginning of this year...no mechanical issues to speak of. Though I think it might have been sitting indoors.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-04-2009, 12:28 PM Reply   
Have them change the oil, put a new impeller in, new fuel filter, new battery, do a good detail, do a water test and you should be good to go.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-04-2009, 10:09 PM Reply   
If it's new it will have the full warranty from Mercruiser and the full warranty from Centurion, starting from the date you buy it.
Make sure it's cleaned really well and do get them to change what Jon suggested. I would not worry at all about the age unless it's got more than 10 hours on it and has not been winterized for storage.
Just remember that when you go to sell it someone will look at the age and not the hours. You're going to have 3 years of value lost if you sell it in the next 5 years or so. If you keep it, who cares.
Old     (puamana)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-05-2009, 6:40 AM Reply   
John,

I noticed that you are up in BC. Are there any complications for you if the boat comes from the US with regard to any taxes that you would have to pay. I have a friend who has some brand new ENZO's for sale, some 2007's, 2008's and 2009's. I'm pretty sure that you can get a screaming deal on one if you are willing to drive a few hundred miles. Send me a note and I will see if he has what you are looking for!

(Message edited by puamana on November 05, 2009)

(Message edited by puamana on November 05, 2009)
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-05-2009, 7:11 AM Reply   
If the thing has a full warranty, I'd have ZERO worries. Just assume you could have a headache or two early in the season, and it will be smooth sailing from there.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-05-2009, 7:18 AM Reply   
Boats are easy to import into Canada if they're made in North America. The trailers need a bit or organizing to get into Canada because they are a 'vehicle' and must go through the RIV process.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-05-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
Just like John Allen said. Change all fluids, gas, impeller and go for a ride