Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-06-2009, 6:23 PM Reply   
OK, so now that I've got the SAN in the garage, I've started looking at the stereo system. The stock Clarion XMD1 keeps coming up with ER-6 90% of the time when we try to play CD's, so that's the first thing that's gonna go. I also have a speaker (bow, port side) that's blown, so it's probably time for new in-boat speakers as well.

Here's my current setup:
========================
Head Unit: Clarion XMD1
Clarion Wired Remote
In-Boat Speakers: 6.5" Stock Speakers in stock locations
Subwoofer: Kicker 10" (not sure about the model)
Amp: Sony Xplod XM1505SX (45x4 + 150x1, I think)

Here's what I'm planning so far:
================================
New Head Unit w/iPod Control (need suggestions here)
6 Polk MM651 Speakers http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_107MM651/Polk-Audio-MM651.html?tp=95
New 4 Channel Amp for Polk speakers (Boston Acoustics GT475 http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_065GT475/Boston-Acoustics-GT-475.html?tp=27743)

New sub, amp #2, and Tower Speakers will come later when I can afford it...right now, we just want to have some good tunes in the boat. All that being said, here are my questions:

1) For those of you who have replaced the XMD1/XMD3/etc with a single-din head unit, has anyone figured out what to do about the ugly void that's left around the face? I was thinking about taking an outline of the face to our local plastics shop and having them cut a piece of carbon-fiber looking material as a bezel.

2) Is it possible to remove the stock wired remote as well? We haven't had the greatest luck with Clarion products, so I was thinking about a Pioneer or Sony head unit, but I don't want to have a wired remote that only functions as a helm ornament.

3) At Crutchfield, it says the Polk speakers are actually a 6.75" model instead of a true 6.5". Will these still work if I want to front-load them?

4) Is front-loading the speakers as hard as it seems? Do you just have to drill holes through the vinyl and the backing board to mount the speakers?

Enough questions for now...thanks in advance for the help.

(Message edited by h2ohangtime on November 06, 2009)

(Message edited by h2ohangtime on November 06, 2009)
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-10-2009, 8:56 PM Reply   
bump
Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-10-2009, 9:28 PM Reply   
the only thing I can answer is I have seen others have a piece of plastic to fill the gap if you replace the head unit...you may want to check out planetnautique.com
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-10-2009, 10:14 PM Reply   
tony -

1/many times I have taken a piece of 1/4 ABS and wrapped it in carbon vinyl to fit that location and then from the backside scorn where to cut the DIN cutout . Then when cage inserted there is no need to show any screws.What year is the boat? I might have one around the shop.

2/check out the alpine as it has the same cut out as the clarion (if the round one) fits in same location

3/all the polk speakers fit directly into the factory cutouts as these have been the OE speaker for some time now.

4/Typically the backing board is already cut from factory . make sure to cut the holes smaller as the vinyl gets pulled in when tightening the speaker.
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-11-2009, 6:29 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. Ryan, it's a 2002 SAN.
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-11-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
Tony,

Clarion sells an adapter place to cover up the big hole and make it a single din size radio. I used one on mine and a buddies 01. Its easy and fits perfect so no fab.
Old     (crghou)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-12-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
or you can also just take apart the factory xdm1. It actually is a Single din unit with a double din face. So If you take it apart and rip off the front screen you get a Piece of metal that fits a single din unit perfectly. It is not as pretty as carbon fiber. You will also have a small lip on the metal. I just cut that down with a dremel tool, painted the metal black and put it back in the boat.

That was for an 03 SAN
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-12-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
I replaced the Clarion with a Alpine CD/DVD player.
I made this piece to fill the space and some what protect the Head unit. It allows the head unit to tuck into and out of the way. I guess if you were going with a Marine style head unit it wouldn't matter if the face was protected. I was supposed to install a tinted plexy window to cover the front of the head unit but never did. The sun has beat the faceplate pretty bad.

Upload
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-12-2009, 6:38 PM Reply   
Chris, thanks for the suggestion...I'll take a look at that when I dive into the boat this weekend.

Grant, nice job on that bezel. But as we all know, that's par for the course on your boat. Hopefully I'll have the pleasure of seeing it in person on Tulloch sometime.

I ended up going with a Sony M60UI deck and RMX11M wired remote since it fits in the same 2" hole that the Clarion remote is currently in. Going to try and get those installed this weekend so I'm at least getting something to the speakers, then I'll worry about the amp and new Polk speakers.