Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-18-2019, 7:01 AM Reply   
Hey everybody!! Its been a looooooooong time since I've last posted here. I used to post and ride all the time, but life has kinda gotten in the way the past year or so - sold a house … rented a house … bought a house … etc., etc., etc. But … I'm finally all settled and ready to get back into the wake game. The only problem is my 99 x star with 2000 hard hours has become less than trustworthy, and the truth is I'm just ready to upgrade. I've been looking at Axis boats. More specifically, the A20, A22, and T22, from about 2015 to 2018. One thing I keep running into is boats that have everything I want (the 409 motor, a nice color scheme, a nice trailer, fairly low hours) but also have the cheapest audio option (head unit plus 4 cabin speakers). Has anyone added 2 bow speakers and a sub (under the steering wheel) to an Axis with the base audio package? It seems that the boats with the base package have upholstery in the bow where the speakers would be. Are there predrilled speaker holes behind them? And can the proper bow upholstery that accommodates speakers then just be ordered from Axis? And does anyone know if Axis boats with the base audio package still come with that board on the port side to attach amps to? Thanks so much for any help!! I've done a ton of audio work in my 99 star and in my vehicles and I'm just trying to get an idea of what I could expect to be getting myself in to. I'm not worried so much about punching a hole underneath the steering wheel for the sub but I'd like the bow to look factory.
Old     (Bret)      Join Date: Nov 2013 Location: Santa Rosa, CA       06-18-2019, 3:32 PM Reply   
look for an Axis A22 with sound pack 2 which includes:

SOUND PACK II
• Sony splashproof stereo with auto-volume
• 6 Wet Sounds 6.5-inch speakers, silver grills
• 4 ICON8 tower speakers, black or white can option • 10-inch subwoofer
• HT-2 & HT-6 amps
• Transom remote
• Optional Bluetooth connectivity
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-19-2019, 6:48 AM Reply   
I'm out of the years you are looking for, but I can offer you my experience with that. I purchased a 2012 Axis with sound pack 1. Back then the vinyl pieces were all the same, if you didn't have bow speakers you just had visible gel. There was no amp board and my tower is prewired. There was a board behind the carpet in the observers compartment to attach the amp board to.

I had the holes for the bow speakers cut. I installed a pair of speakers and an amplifier. I used starboard for the amp board and wired the bow speakers as they were not prewired. While I was at it I replaced the head unit. I don't think Axis has ever really had a popular head unit. Seems to be a source of constant complaints.

It took a bit of time, but in reality it wasn't a difficult process. Sorry I cannot be of more help with regards to the bow vinyl pieces.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-19-2019, 7:55 AM Reply   
For 16 and up boats, I'm guessing that they will all have amp racks because they started using remote headunits ("brain" on the amp board, "screen" at the dash is just a remote). The brain piece is mounted on the amp board on my SP2 boat, so I'd suspect it's there on the SP1 boats too.

Personally I wouldn't bother with bow speakers. You can never hear them anyway. Much more useful to add speakers for the captain, given that all of the cabin speakers are behind the captain.

The sub installs on Malibu / Axis pretty much suck donkey balls from the factory anyway, so you don't really lose with an SP1 boat in that regard. And I'm pretty sure that the towers are all prewired at least through 2017. 2017 and earlier all have a really easy to remove kick panel to do the sub install. Pretty sure 18s and up have a fiberglass wall you'd need to cut into, which kinda sucks.

I'd look for a 16 and up with the hydraulic surfgate actuators and the 5 year warranty. 17 also adds surfband, and I think 18 (but it might have been 17) adds the option for power wedge. 17s and up will all have the 409... 350's last year was 16.