Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-29-2018, 10:56 AM Reply   
Ok first off i'm 48 and this is my first REAL bad Injury riding over 20yrs, had a new ACL put in a month ago in my right knee..

I do inverts and other things still ,

My Insurance wont cover braces..

So a friend recommended an Asterisk Ultra cell but it geared more toward MX as the patella cup isn't removable but has a nice fitting BOA system and can be customized, nice brace under $700 a pair , issue is I got the small and did everything I could to keep it from moving but with the under sleeve it slowly slides with movement and I can grab it and push it down and off, without sleeve better but it doesnt want to fit correctly..too bad this is a super nice brace for fair price..I imagine in water it will be worse as far as slipping goes..im sending it back

looking for something that is light and offers good SACL protection that responds well in water and maybe snowboarding..

DonJoy has many some customized ones are 1k plus and I dont feel I really need that and would like to buy one for both Knees so more affordable would be best...

they also Offer a SE4 model, Armor , full force etc as less expensive models..

before o buy anything id like to know what guys are finding successful on the water that are riding hard??

brand and models feedback?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-29-2018, 12:44 PM Reply   
I thought the Asterisk brace was pretty good until I tore my right ACL for the second time with it on. Migration was always a problem with it. I don’t think you can beat a cti2 brace. You get what you pay for. You can’t cheap out and get all thrifty on something like this. Pay the piper once and be done. Oh, you can also get replacement parts on the cti2 too-like Velcro straps etc as they wear. Pretty sure they’re carbon fiber. Good luck.
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       10-29-2018, 7:45 PM Reply   
i have CTI - makes me feel quite stable.
Old     (bcd)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-30-2018, 4:21 AM Reply   
Happy with my CTI. It's taken a beating over the years. Insurance paid for it, so I don't know what the cost was. Make sure you wait until you've rebuilt your leg muscle before ordering though to make sure it's a good fit. If you're only a month out, you probably have a lot of atrophy right now.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-30-2018, 11:04 AM Reply   
I think being strong is key and the knee braces can only help so much. My surgeon told me there is no need for a kneebrace after my left ACL reconstruction in 2009.

Although my surgeon said I didn't need one I still used a few different ones at the time for a few months, then once I was confident threw them out.

Alot of my moto friends use POD knee braces, as custom braces are high priced, would be worth looking into those.

Every surgeon is different and will tell you differently.

I heard not so great things about don joy a few of my friends had them and they fell apart quickly.

CTI has a good reputation, but im pretty sure their custom ones are expensive.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-31-2018, 9:38 AM Reply   
I did my ACL in 2015 and my surgeon told me to wear a brace up to the 1-year mark, which I did (and it was hard to take it off at the 1-year mark but I'm glad I did as it was more mental than physical at that point). I used a custom CTI and it was nice (and covered by insurance). It had straps and such to stay tight in the water. A friend recently had ACL surgery and got a non-custom CTI that appeared to me to be nicer than my old custom CTI...it had enough adjustability where apparently you didn't need it custom built. So, might be worth checking out a non-custom CTI.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-03-2018, 8:47 AM Reply   
I decided to go with the DonJoy Armor Forcepoint brace, they have low profile customizable hinge to go under clothes better, along with an option for a shorter calf retention area to not interfere with wake/Snow boots.. I wont be able to test them until February or March but will customize the fit and get comfy with them for work etc and get back here with feedback..

on sale $440 each delivered I got one for both legs..

https://www.donjoyperformance.com/do...rcepoint-hinge