Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-24-2006, 5:39 PM Reply   
Well today was the last straw. A little background, We ride the backwater, which has a slalom course in front, and a wakeboard area in back, everything is public area to C.L. residents (slalom course in place by permission for the city & POA). On weekends & some weekdays, the city launches a boat out there to patrol, usually manned by an older guy, probably a retired police officer. In the past this guy has lectured me because my 10 year old boy was in the boat without his life vest on (we were anchored, I let him take off his vest to swim, the officer still lectured as if I were committing a crime). On another occasion, he lectured me about not having a red flag out, our rider had finished his set, was on the back deck, rope pulled in before we put the flag down, we had it up the whole time the rider was down in the water & rope was out. They park their tow vehicle & trailer on the ramp (one lane) their boat is not even in sight, they refuse to move, making it impossible for anyone to launch. On the one occasion I did break the rules (rode a weekday without a 3rd, we were the only boat out), he actually drew his weapon. Come one dude we were just riding without a third, is a gun really necessary?

So today we were out back riding, and my son is a little slow with the flag after I fall. The patrol guy comes over. Now we were making an effort to get the flag up, and I could see a friendly reminder to use the flag, or even seeing that we had the flag up, just let us be, but the tone that this guy used just set me off. I argued with him from the water, I know Troy & Mark were saying to themselves, "he's getting a ticket for sure", and I had accepted the fact that I was probably going to get a ticket. We went on, I didn't back down, he finally gave up and plowed on his ignorant way (no ticket).

Just tired of the disrespect we see out there as wakeboarders. We should be treated like citizens, not criminals. Non of the slalom skier use a flag, they are in the same area as us, same rules, they never get hassled. This guy is supposed to be a public servant, he's doing a poor job at best. Just felt good to speak my mind to this guy.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on September 24, 2006)
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-24-2006, 5:55 PM Reply   
I'm sure he'll look the other way next time he sees your boat.

As for wakeboarders being direspected by cops, I think you'd be suprised by how many cops are wakeboarders, including some here on WW. So I can say without question, that there are a lot of cops on your side.

Not defending the cop and/or his actions, just think it probably wasn't a good idea to unload. You might as well asked him for his cite book, and filled a couple out for him for the future
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-24-2006, 6:08 PM Reply   
At the point of accepting that to stand up for myself/others out there. He does not appear to be interested in serving the public, only in asserting authority. Tired of him using his job to satify his need to unnessarily assert authority over others.

BTW - Have no problem with cops, have many friends who are, have tremendous respect for them & all that are serious "to protect and serve"

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on September 24, 2006)
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-24-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
boat cops suck, i had a rope out at 65 feet, and a rider had just gotten out as i was getting in when the cop went screamin by us comin within 5 feet of my rope! I screamed at him just as his buddy saw the handle and they swerved hard to miss it. He then proceeded to come back and bully me by circling my boat twice and throwing a HUGE wake, finally coming over and commenting on how nice the water was. I was furious! I was so mad i forgot to get a badge number, i just happen to know a coast guard guy who knows the cheif, he said i had good reason to file a complaint
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-24-2006, 7:13 PM Reply   
Nice job Jeff!!! Good to hear you stepping up and taking a stand. I am surprised that no one hasn't done it sooner. I am always hearing horry stories from all you guys in Canyon.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-24-2006, 7:19 PM Reply   
Kewl to hear you were able to give him a piece of your mind.
I remember that guy from when I rode with you and yea, he def. has a authority issue. Thinks he own the waterway or something.
Just looking to give people a hard time.
I find it intersting they dont give the skiers a hardtime. They are suppose to follow the same rules, correct?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-24-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
I give you props for sticking up for yourself, but tread lightly in these situations. You can be defending the the most honorable cause, and be 100% in the right, but if he/she with the gun and badge wants you to lose the arguement, you'll lose.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-25-2006, 7:08 AM Reply   
I wasn't saying the guy was right, I was just thinking it wasn't such a good idea.

This is not a battle you can win out on the water. You should be in a watch commander's office making a complaint. Is the guy is a jerk, life just got really hard for everyone on your boat.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-25-2006, 8:01 AM Reply   
Well, I won that battle, and if the harassment continues, I will be at the city council meeting.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-25-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
Two summers ago I had three boats (2 coast guard and one DNR) tied up to my boat, and got into it with them really badly - (nose to nose, f you type stuff). It all started because a running light was out. Nothing is more fun than taking on a bunch of intimidators with guns and watching them have to back down, and then follow it up with more taunting as we pulled away.

These fellas broke so many rules when boarding my boat that I just lost it. After it was over, we filed complaints with their XO and the head of the Coast Guard in Md. In the end we got apologies, a few guys transferred and have not had any problems with the Coasties on my river since.

Moral: know the rules, don't break them, don't allow them to intimidate you and file complaints immediately. People need to start standing up to the punk aspect that proliferates in water patrolling in the US.

Great thread, I feel better knowing I am not alone.
Old     (wade2062)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-25-2006, 8:22 AM Reply   
Tackleberry, Im sorry that one officer has given you a bad opinion on Police officers. Jeff359 is right, you would be surprised on how many cops are on this site, and are die hard Wake boarders. Maybe the next time you see that officer, Offer him some food, free food to a cop is like a get out of jail free card!!! Please don't let his actions ruin your overall outlook on the many good Officers that are out there.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-25-2006, 8:30 AM Reply   
Wade, you may have missed my 2nd post...
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       09-25-2006, 8:49 AM Reply   
We were on the backwater once with the old guy Jeff is speaking of. It was a pretty busy day so there were two boats riding the whole time. The old dude just HAD to be driving around "patrolling" at about 6 - 7 MPH the whole time (fantastic rollers, thanks guy). For those that have never been to the backwater at Canyon Lake, there really isn't a ton of extra room to be maneuvering around a third boat. Also, the cop could probably see the entire area from a stationary position; I really didn't see the need for him to be driving around. I had to come within probably 50 feet or less of him just to be far enough away from other riders or the shore. Surprised he didn't give me a ticket about the 100 foot rule (even though it would have been him causing it).

Danny
Old     (wade2062)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-25-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
TackleBerry, I did miss it sorry !!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-25-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
Jeff,WOW I didn't think I've ever seen you get mad or even heard that you got mad.That pig had it coming for sure if you blew up!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-25-2006, 9:58 AM Reply   
I have had nothing but good luck with the water patrols that I have run into on numerous occasions, in WI,IN, IL, and FL. They have all been very respectful and stand up people, and often are quite interested in wakeboarding. Most are not out to have power trips, they do the job because it is fun and they get to be outside all day.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-25-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
Jeff I remember that day with the flag incident. Remember how Shawn held the flag up for the remainder of the day haaha that was a good laugh. Good to see you sticking your ground. What really gets me upset is when he plows down the backwater right in front of boats that are trying to ride. Then he sits right at the turn around.

So when are you moving to Nor-Cal?
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-25-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
pig... that's awfully disrespectful.
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-25-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
I have to comment the other way. I wish we had more boat cops on our lake. Not saying they are always right. But our lake is going crazy with boaters who have no idea which side to pass on, they have no thirds (on busy days), }they are passing very close and very fast when pulling a rider or going by a downed rider, tubers coming in close to other riders. And don't even get me started on the boat launch. Shouldn't it be a rule you have to at least know how to back in before using a launch on a very busy day. There's always going to be someone on a power trip but I would sooner have that than what we are experiencing on our lake.
Old    jolly_roger_wake            09-25-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
the water patrol on my lake mostly just harass the jetskiers. i love it
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-25-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
I have only rode the backwater during the week and never seen this officer. What a waste of resources for this boat and officer to be patrolling all day a 200 ft by 1/2 mile piece of water that only two boats use at a time. This could easily be done with drive by in a truck from the shore twice a day. Every lap we made we had to change course to keep from hitting him or the other boat using the channel. Feels weird to be passing by the patrol boat less than a rope length away.
I would think the main lake would be better served with the additional patrol.

Since I was driving the boat...I was trying to get Frew to shut up before I got the ticket..(forgeting the whole private lake thing....ticket goes to homeowner)
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-26-2006, 11:17 PM Reply   
Jeff...good for you. There is enough crap that happens back there and it is time you and everyone else stands up against it. You guys should have taken it to the council meetings a long time ago. I know you and several others are sick and tired of the harassment....time to rally together and make a change. Do the slalom'ers even own flags?? I've never seen one!!!
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-27-2006, 9:31 AM Reply   
I think the flag issue is different in the backwater due to 2 boats being able to run at the same time? Slalom course only allows for one boat so a flag is not necessary. I agree that the patrol seems to pick on people in CL because they obviously have nothing better to do...Everytime I have been on the main lake I have been stopped for something...someone on the engine cover, too close to the center buoy line, slow flag, didn't pull the rope in fast enough. Between the patrol and the dock 'tudes up there I decided it wasn't worth the effort.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-27-2006, 10:09 AM Reply   
According to the City & POA, it is one area. The separation between the slalom course and the wakeboard area is unofficial, and created by both the ski and wakeboard clubs as a courtesy to the skiers and wakeboarders in the area.

BTW - I would rather take a ticket from a polite, rspectful & professional acting officer than be bitched out by a jackass and let go.

Troy - that was all me, I would not let you assume any part of that would be ticket. You left your hat at my house. Next week...

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on September 27, 2006)
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-27-2006, 7:27 PM Reply   
I'll take all the bitching and attitude to not get a ticket! In front of the judge, I'm just another face with another story..."guilty...next." A John Mellancamp lyric comes to mind: "I fight authority, authority always wins."
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-27-2006, 11:36 PM Reply   
I have never heard of someone getting a gun pulled on them on the water! That is wayyy over the line.
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-28-2006, 8:03 AM Reply   
Wow Jeff, that officer must have really pushed your buttons. For people that don't know Jeff, he's about the most laid back, cool people you will ever meet. Thanks for the warning, we just moved into Canyon, and were going to hit the backwater next weekend when we get done unpacking this mountain of boxes.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-28-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
I don't listen to much John Mellanwhatever. Beastie Boys lyric comes to mind: "YOU GOTTA FIGHT..FOR YOUR RIGHTS!"
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-28-2006, 6:38 PM Reply   
Actually it's: "you gotta fight for your right" (to party). Not "rights".
Old    walt            09-28-2006, 6:50 PM Reply   
Easy for Me to say because I wasn't there but going head to head with a law man in most cases is just a really bad idea IMHO.

Someone on here was telling a story on here about a year ago about someone in there camp getting mouthy with a Lake Don Pedro Ranger.
The outcome wasn't pretty from what I remember.