Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old                05-23-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
HEY! so i just started wakeboarding last summer and im not so hot yet. i can do a butterslide and thats about it.i would like to start jumping.any tips?
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       05-23-2006, 4:26 PM Reply   
Have I got the link for you. Check this out...it has videos and photos to assist you:

http://www.wakeboarder.com/tricks/tricks.phtml

I reference it quite often and find the information to be helpful. Hope this helps and have fun out there.
Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-27-2006, 9:49 PM Reply   
jay, smart one...just come riding with me on monday like we orginally planned. ill help you. but i've watched you ride at shasta...remember? you need to get a lil more comfortable on the water before you start tackling air
Old     (futurerx)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-03-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
hey..i just registered on this site--as i'm a new rider..my boyfriend is addicted to it and has been on this site forever..so i thought i'd get in on it! i started riding at the end of last summer and just got up before fall..i've been getting up much easier on his board this year and started cutting out for the first time 2 days ago..he got excited and wanted me to try and jump the wake..now i have whiplash..i really think girls and guys' bodies function differently!! i am a bigger girl and wondered if anyone has any advice!! thanks!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-03-2006, 9:11 PM Reply   
my advice: quit listening to your b/f! j/k when i first tried getting air off the wake, my crew told me to just go out a little ways, like 3-4 feet, then cut back in. a little air at first feels like a lot, but it helps you get used to landing. then just cut out a little further each time so you're comfortable with it. but go at your own pace. try something once you're ready for it so that you're relaxed, not all tense and uptight! have fun!!
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       07-03-2006, 9:17 PM Reply   
Hey there Farrah,
Sorry to hear about the whiplash. If you aren't already, drink lots of water to flush the bad stuff out of your system. Helps you recover quicker from muscle pulls/injuries/etc.

I've found core training to be a great boost to my wakeboarding this year. Guys and girls bodies may function differently but at least girls don't look as silly as boys when they are using those big inflatable pilates balls (Swiss Ball). To each their own though as I know of several males who use those for rehabilitation of muscles/tendons/etc. I felt silly using the ball at first but the results are amazing and my recovery times are a lot shorter. You can usually pick up a Swiss Ball for around $15.00 at Target. I have been using a generic brand one and so far so good. Some can be as expensive as $30.00 but like I said...so far so good with the cheaper one.

Side note: Now about your whiplash, was this diagnosed by your doctor or does it just feel like whiplash? I don't want to steer you into the wrong direction too soon in your injury. Once your neck starts to feel a bit better, consider trying some core training if your doc says it's okay.

Here's a link to some neck strengthening exercises: http://www.lifestylesport.com/SwissBallNecksmall.jpg

Here's the link to the main page with other exercises: http://www.lifestylesport.com/swiss_ball_exercises.htm

As always, consult a physician before starting any new routine...especially if you did get whiplash.

Hopefully you'll find this helpful.

Oh yeah...the other thing...when all else fails, grab that bag o' frozen peas in the freezer and ice it for 15 then off for 15. That's what I do to get rid of the muscle pain in my back when I tweak it too far.

Feel free to contact me outside of the discussion board if you'd like. Good to have you here.
Old     (futurerx)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-04-2006, 7:04 AM Reply   
thanks for all the advice! the b/f has been really helpful..plus there is a husband and wife on our lake who are awesome! she has been a tremendous help! i doubt it was truly whiplash, but anything to get sympathy always works!! it's feeling much better today..i think i'll try cutting out just a short distance--i was so excited that i felt comfortable cutting that i started going out way too far and fast! the neck strengthening sounds like a good idea too!! thanks so much! anyone from northwest indiana around here??
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-04-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
This is my third season wakeboarding. We bought our boat 2 years ago and immediately started to learn to wakeboard. We didn't have anyone to ride with to teach us the ropes and the steps for progression. I wish we had. We went from getting up, to crossing the wake and then to trying to jump. My Hubby and our friend got pretty good at it... I'm still working on it.

At the beginning of the second season, we watched one of the wakeboarding instructional videos (Higher Learning and The Book) and apparently, we SKIPPED almost the entire beginner section and went straight for the intermediate section by trying to jump. It's like learning to walk before you can run.

I guess you're supposed to learn all the surface tricks in order to gain the most board control before trying to jump. So now, in my third season, I am going back to basics and working on the surface skills. At the same time, I am relearning how to edge properly and hold the handle in in order to better my jumps and land on my feet and stay on my feet.

So for both Farrah and Jessica, I suggest picking up one of those videos and watching it with your b/f it's certainly helping me... besides, it's REALLY frustrating trying to jump when you're not ready. I feel so much better about now that I can learn something new each time out and actually get BETTER!

Good luck!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-04-2006, 4:44 PM Reply   
Renee - I'm in the same "boat" as you, so to speak. The first 1-1/2 years I spent riding left foot forward because that's how I was taught, but I actually ride goofy. So now I'm trying w2w riding goofy, but I'm getting so frustrated, because sometimes I get really close and some days - like today - I take a huge step backward. I've been trying for a month and see others getting it so much faster than I am. I swear I'm ready to sell my board right now and move on ... but I'm sure that's just from a very frustrating weekend of trying and getting nowhere. I want w2w so badly!!! I guess somedays you're the bug instead of the windshield.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-04-2006, 6:01 PM Reply   
I spent a lot of time trying to go w2w... it was also veeery frustrating for me... but once I got it I still feel so good everytime I land one...
Just dont give up... try your best everytime you go out.. and watching instructionals helped me, but watching myself ride helped me so much more, I could see what I was doing wrong, because when you're riding it feels as if you're doing everything right but you can't do it (thats what made it the most frustrating for me) but once you see that you're actually doing a thing or 2 wrong, it feels so much better (it's true!) because you know that there are things to correct so that you can go out and finally get that w2w or trick down! I used to think that I edged in in a good way, but it turns out I really didnt.. I was lacking some speed... and after that I noticed that I wasnt really standing tall all the way and when I did land on the other side I let go of the handle, so when i saw myself I noticed that I didnt have the handle in when I stood tall...

Im just rambling now, but just dont give up! You will get better! If not.. blame it on the driver! j/k
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-04-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
I spent a lot of time trying to go w2w... it was also veeery frustrating for me... but once I got it I still feel so good everytime I land one...
Just dont give up... try your best everytime you go out.. and watching instructionals helped me, but watching myself ride helped me so much more, I could see what I was doing wrong, because when you're riding it feels as if you're doing everything right but you can't do it (thats what made it the most frustrating for me) but once you see that you're actually doing a thing or 2 wrong, it feels so much better (it's true!) because you know that there are things to correct so that you can go out and finally get that w2w or trick down! I used to think that I edged in in a good way, but it turns out I really didnt.. I was lacking some speed... and after that I noticed that I wasnt really standing tall all the way and when I did land on the other side I let go of the handle, so when i saw myself I noticed that I didnt have the handle in when I stood tall...

Im just rambling now, but just dont give up! You will get better! If not.. blame it on the driver! j/k
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-04-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   

Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-05-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
Actually, I'm blaming the board. Which I hate to do, because I know someone who could ride really good could handle the board. But I have real problems getting my board to track without sliding out on me. I've tried a couple other boards and don't have the same problem with them. Not saying it's a bad board; just maybe not the board for me. But since I own it, I need to learn to ride it! I totally agree on seeing pics of yourself, too. It definitely helps. Thanks for the encouragement! I'll probably take a weekend or two off and ride my bike and skateboard and relax, then hit it again.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       07-05-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
Farrah - Good to hear your neck is feeling better.

Kylie-logan - Sometimes it is the board. I replaced my 2005 CWB Lotus 131 first thing this year with a 2006 LF Nemesis 131 and it is a night and day difference. My riding is progressing much faster than it was on the other board. For some, the Lotus is great...for me...not so good. I chose not to waste my time trying to make a board that wasn't a good fit for me work and am very happy with that decision. The unfortunate truth of the matter is that if you popped down the cash last year for a board, it's difficult to turn right around and pop down cash again for a new one. Luckily I picked up the Nemesis for $150 at our local shop since it's marketed as more of a kid's board. I still feel a bit upset for spending hundreds of dollars on a setup last year that I'll probably never use again but the good news is that my riding has improved so much more with the new board that those bitter feelings are starting to wash away.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-05-2006, 10:21 AM Reply   
Wow! M - I'm so glad to hear that you've had a similar issue with a board. Actually, I bought mine a couple years ago on sale for $150, so I've definitely gotten my money's worth. I feel more positive now, and maybe just need to try a few new boards and find a better fit! Thanks for all the input everyone!
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-05-2006, 10:52 AM Reply   
Kylie- I just recently switched boards too. I was on a Blindside Flower 132 which had NO molded in fins and had 2" center fins. I tried to drop the size of the fin to 1.5" but got really squirly. My Hubby suggested I switch boards but didn't think it was necessary because like you, I had heard that it's not the board, it's the technique. Anyway, I was able to demo a Obrien Vixen 137 with 1.4" center fins and side molded in fins and LOVED IT! So we bought it the next day. I feel so much more confident riding it that I have since learned to do surface 180.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       07-05-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
Kylie-logan - Great deal on your board. You definitely got your money's worth if you got a couple of years out of it. You think I would have learned my lesson about trying out demo boards before purchasing them but I was so excited to replace my Lotus that I jumped on the Nemesis deal for $150 and lucked out. If the board's over $150, I'll definitely try to demo it first in the future (if it's a possibility).

BTW - I just noticed that almost everyone else in here put their name on their profile so I changed one. Sorry about being so stealthy with the M.

Renee - Congrats on the surface 180's. Aren't those fun? I love going back and forth until I fall.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       07-05-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
one...whoops...I meant to type "mine."
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-05-2006, 12:22 PM Reply   
Im sorry for that triple post! I swear I only clicked the button once!
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       07-05-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
That's okay Cris...it was a really good post.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-05-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
I'm still working on the surface 180's... Riding switch is tough for me so I'm still at 15mph. But, I'm go a little further each time, so far not real face plants...yet.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       07-05-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
That's great news that you're going a little further each time Renee. I find that not thinking about it helps me. I just focus on feeling the edges when riding switch and sort of turn off the part of my brain that says, "Hey...you're going the wrong direction...you're going to bail."

That's amazing that you haven't had any real face plants yet. I'm starting to think that's my signature move.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-05-2006, 3:21 PM Reply   
Sorry Marjee ... I have dibs on the face plant (my crew calls them "smiley kylies" - LOL! But I like to think of them as "half raleys" where I just fail to pull the rope back in! Renee, I'm working on surface 180's also. Try it at a slow speed, really bend your knees and when you get into a butterslide position, try dropping your lead hand so you come around switch. That's what I've been told and I'm almost there I think!
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       07-05-2006, 4:29 PM Reply   
Smiley Kylies...that rocks! Okay...that one's definitely yours.

Great advice on the surface 180's Kylie. Transferring your weight from one foot to the other (on your heels) while moving the handle from one hip to the other is another good thing to have in your head when working on surface 180's. I think that for me the biggest help was bending my knees...and as Kylie said...really bend your knees and that helps a bunch.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-06-2006, 7:58 AM Reply   
and also think about leaning back against the rope so that you dont catch your edge and do a "half raley"

I have found that exercising has helped me a lot with my riding... My routine is do 5-6 mins of cardio, the wakeboarding workout that you can find on the articles section of ww.com, and also do the core exercises found in girlslearntoride.com and do lots of abs! I do this Monday, Wednesday and Friday and I try to ride every Tuesday and Thursday and on the weekends.

Now the rope doesnt pop off my hands as easily, I dont get tired as easily and can ride with much more energy.
I have to check out those neck strengthening exercises Marjee posted so I can add them to my routine!
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-06-2006, 8:42 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tips Cris - I hope Jessica is still reading her post b/c there is some good advice on here. I work out too, but am starting to step it up some. I love circuit weights, so I do that or my bowflex 2-3 times a week. This week I've added morning workouts, alternating between a light jog, riding my bike, and this morning I rode my new skateboard! That was a blast! Too bad I had to come to work, cuz I seriously would have just ridden around on the skateboard all day long! (One thing I have to say about the guys I ride with - they're honest. And since I'm told my butt looked nicer a year or two ago, I need to really step it up!) I also have a balance board that I practice on pretty much every night and I think that has helped me a lot. I would highly recommend a balance board or Indo board to anyone starting out. I'll have to checkout the wakeboarding workout and neck exercises also! P.S. The girls on this site ROCK!!!
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       07-06-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
Cris - Thanks for posting the places we can check out more workouts. Sometimes I get bored with the same old routine. I'll have to check those out. Have you ever connected your handle (not your new one) to your dog's leash to practice handle passes while walking your dog? My doberman used to pull me on my skateboard...lots of fun until I got a photo back and saw that she was running faster and faster not because she was having fun but more because the noise of the skateboard was freaking her out. Now I just walk her with the leash (without skateboard) and practice handle passes and if there's nobody around, attach the handle to the leash (don't want the neighbors thinking I'm crazier than I am).

Kylie - Those balance boards do make a huge difference. I have the 360 balance board and it's fun to use and has improved my balance and riding. BTW...wish I had a bowflex. I've wanted one of those for so long but don't have the space to put it.

This is really turning out to be a GREAT discussion. Thanks everybody...this is fun.
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-06-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
I was able to do a W2W 180 before I could go toeside W2W. Something new to try. I had a couple of kids and can't do them anymore but I am working my way back up to them. A couple more rides and I hope to clear the wake again (toeside) I also found that each time I ride I try a bit more and am getting better everytime. I used to go hard right from the start and only get a couple of good pops with more wipeouts than cuts, now I just work my way up with each ride and try different things. W2W, 180's, ollie's and now I'm just starting a few grabs.

Pilates work great for your core to. Almost back in shape.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-06-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
Tanya - good job on getting back in shape after kids! I've never had any and have a hard enough time staying in shape as it is! I've officially started looking for a new board, doing some research. Very excited about it and hopefully it'll help me progress faster since I'll feel more comfortable on it! p.s. I don't have room for my bowflex either. It's in my living room. But it's just me 'n the cat, and he doesn't seem to mind!
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-06-2006, 3:12 PM Reply   
We just bought a used Bowflex off of Craig's List last weekend and are buying a used elliptical this weekend. Hopefully they will get more use than the expensive gym did and that I can get back into shape. Do any of you who have the bowflex use the pilates kit that you can buy for it?
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-06-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
I didn't know there was a pilates kit for it! One thing I have noticed about it is that I had to be somewhat "innovative" in adding some exercises to target certain muscles. I have the lat & leg attachments, but there is not a lot for the stomach. So I sit on it as though I were going to use the leg attachment, loop my legs through and basically do "reverse sit-ups" - going from up position to down, regular style and then also crossing over my body as I come up. You can actually get some pretty nice abs that way!
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-06-2006, 3:55 PM Reply   
We got lucky in our purchase because it came with the iTrainer software that helps you keep track of your workouts as well as customizes workouts for you. It's usually $60 http://www.bowflex.com/mAccessoryDetail_1.asp?productID=000%2D3899&produc tName=iTrainer+CD+Rom&linkID=1

The Pilates Kit is $99 and I am trying to figure out if it's worth it: http://www.bowflex.com/mAccessoryDetail_1.asp?productID=12900&productName =Bowflex+Pilates+Kit&linkID=1