Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       06-10-2011, 5:26 PM Reply   
Ok so I think I started a forum on this already but I'm starting another one. I have been told trex or pvc sheets is the best. Trex is expensive though at home depot its like 25 dollars a strip. Also I can't find anywhere that sells the white sheetings like most cable parks use. Does anyone know where to get cheap trex or know of alternative materials. What have people used and how much did it cost?
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-10-2011, 5:38 PM Reply   
Its gonna be pretty expensive either way depending on what you are building, but composite boards (trex) are much easier to obtain. If you are really strapped for cash there is always pvc pipe i guess
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-10-2011, 5:51 PM Reply   
you can use that material that lines cheap bathroom walls its called FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic Panels) you can find this at lowes and home depot its pretty cheap but you have a higher risk of getting cut if you have an exposed edge. you have to glue it on. My friends and i have made a few rails with this material. another one you could use is skinny pvc pipes just drill holes through one side where you are going to attach your screws then drill the skrew from the inside of the pvc to your rail if you put four of five of these together you have a nice wide surface that is way cheaper than trex
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-10-2011, 5:55 PM Reply   
something like this only with four. We ran out of trex one time finishing an up to flat. and used pvc like this
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-10-2011, 5:59 PM Reply   
-
Attached Images

Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-10-2011, 6:03 PM Reply   
this is what FRP looks like. you can have the store cut it exactly how you want
Attached Images

Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-10-2011, 6:05 PM Reply   
i think frp is about $25-$30 a panel but its a big panel thats probably 4ft by 8ft
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-11-2011, 6:07 AM Reply   
trex buns if you fall on it. I went to a plastics store and got a sheet of hdpe. you can buy online as well
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-12-2011, 9:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyj View Post
trex buns if you fall on it. I went to a plastics store and got a sheet of hdpe. you can buy online as well
What size trex were you using? We used 1/2 x 8 1/4 on a 60 ft rooftop and never had that problem. We are currently using Tamko EverGrain 1/2 x 12 and it is amazing. Pricey though. Ive asked this before but what was so bad about pvc pipe that made everyone go to other material? Outside of the valley between pipes it seems like the best bang for your buck
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-12-2011, 9:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog_ra View Post
i think frp is about $25-$30 a panel but its a big panel thats probably 4ft by 8ft
yeah that stuff is sharp on the edge. Some guy hit our rail once and sliced his jaw open on that stuff
Old     (MariusTitulescu)      Join Date: Dec 2015       02-16-2022, 1:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fish View Post
yeah that stuff is sharp on the edge. Some guy hit our rail once and sliced his jaw open on that stuff
Wow. That's insane! I knew it was sharp, but that sounds downright dangerous.
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-18-2022, 1:31 PM Reply   
The surface on many rails is much sharper than you imagine. I injured myself on a rail around 3 years ago. Not a good day on the water.
Attached Images