Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-13-2014, 4:04 PM Reply   
I'm thinking about picking up a new (to me) truck and want to do a good stereo. Don't want to spend anymore than 4k. Need a new head unit and would prefer touch screen. I want it to sound immaculate. Crystal clear but still able to thump if I want it to. If you had 4k to put into a stereo in a 07-13 Chevy silverado 1500 what would you put in?
Old     (Crosstx)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-13-2014, 4:13 PM Reply   
Crew cab? i heard a truck recently that had wet sounds 808's custom glassed in all four door panels and it jammed and sounded legit. Add a 10" sub and that would do it all i bet.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-13-2014, 4:35 PM Reply   
Yes 4 door
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-13-2014, 4:35 PM Reply   
I was thinking focal. I've never heard them but everyone says they are the best of the best sound wise
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-13-2014, 5:16 PM Reply   
I had a Focal setup in one of my cars and they do sound great, if you prefer the brighter sounding speaker, which I do. In a cabin that size I would do Focal in the doors and put a deal 8" with a ton of power to it. It will hit very accurately and will sound great. It won't give you the door rattling low ends, but I would assume you aren't looking for that. You could even do two sealed 8's, one under rack rear seat and it would sound incredible.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-13-2014, 5:55 PM Reply   
I would like for it to get low if I need it to but very musical as well. Think a W6 12 would fit under the seat?
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-13-2014, 6:12 PM Reply   
Dang typos above again. I meant a sealed 8. Sure you got that but just so you don't search for a deal speaker and think what was that idiot talking about. I don't think a 12 would fit without some modifications to the seat mount, but not positive on that. I would go listen to the different size subs, I think you will be surprised how low the 8's and 10's can get in the right enclosure with the right power. I can tell you I had about 1000 watts to a soloberic 8 and it felt like someone was punching you when it hit. And it was super accurate for all music types.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-13-2014, 7:03 PM Reply   
I recently bought an android double din capacitive radio for my truck. It's great navigation/bluetooth/ radio.... I even order a 3G card and added it to my cellular plan... That way I can listen to pandora while going down the road or my girlfriend can use it as a wifi hotspot on get on her labtop if she needs to
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-13-2014, 7:14 PM Reply   
If you want accuracy, start with domain correction. A DSP processor such as an Audison Bit Ten is HUGE if you have someone who knows the tuning process. The Audison Prima multi-channel amplifiers have DSP built in and make DSP very affordable. I heard one of the Prima systems recently in the Earmark Plano store and I was floored by the imaging. In fact, I had Todd from Earmark retune the DSP in my RV.
Place a major investment in front speakers. Get a great component speaker up front. The rear door speakers will never make a sound quality contribution to the front occupants regardless of how good a speaker you invest in. A coaxial a series or two down from the front speakers is adequate. You don't actually need rear speakers. Rear speakers can be used to supplement the front speakers as A) fill-in to create a sense of surround, B) to a lesser degree, a sense of ambience, or C) to a lesser degree, a widening of the front image. Or, the rear speakers can be used as the primary source for the rear seat occupants depending on how you use your vehicle most often.
For front speakers I would narrow it down to Hertz High Energy, one of the Focal series, or a JL Audio C3 or C5 series. With the passive crossover modules of both the C3 & C5 each have multiple tweeter accentuation/attenuation settings plus multiple midrange settings to alter the midrange high frequency roll-off characteristics. Applied correctly these features are very instrumental in over-coming vehicle variances, creating a seamless integration between the mid/tweet, and obtaining a more linear response. A C2 coaxial is fine for the rear doors.
JL Audio should have several StealthBox offerings that will perform better from an SQ standpoint.
Old     (Crosstx)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-13-2014, 7:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarcreek216V View Post
Dang typos above again. I meant a sealed 8. Sure you got that but just so you don't search for a deal speaker and think what was that idiot talking about. I don't think a 12 would fit without some modifications to the seat mount, but not positive on that. I would go listen to the different size subs, I think you will be surprised how low the 8's and 10's can get in the right enclosure with the right power. I can tell you I had about 1000 watts to a soloberic 8 and it felt like someone was punching you when it hit. And it was super accurate for all music types.

I have a L7 8" solobaric in my f250 now in a sealed box and it hits hard and tight on rock and country but also still bumps low to the rap stuff
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-15-2014, 4:45 AM Reply   
Id do focal componets and a jl 10 with jl amps.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-15-2014, 8:19 AM Reply   
Headunit: Pioneer App Radio 3 $500
Equalizer: Arc Audio keq5 $200
Front Components: Focal 165 k2p $900
Rear Speakers: Focal PC165 $350
Subwoofer: Fi Q 12 Dual 2 Ohm in a ported box at 35 hz $400 + box
Amp Sub: Soundstream RUB1.1600D $220
Amp Speakers: Soundstream RUB4.600 $170

All in all a little over $2700 not counting box and install/tuning. Don't let the low price on the amps fool you, soundstream is awesome stuff.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-15-2014, 7:32 PM Reply   
uuuh, why haven't you called me on this?

And I have Focal in the store.....

Last edited by jonyb; 09-15-2014 at 7:34 PM.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-15-2014, 7:37 PM Reply   
I would throw Rainbow components into the mix. My vanadiums are beautiful sounding with 300w/side on tap.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-15-2014, 10:38 PM Reply   
For the speakers themselves. Infinity has some very good, crips, clear, high SQ speakers, Especially their Reference series.

For subs JL makes some nice stuff that is accurate, clean, and loud. The box you put them in affects this a lot though. Your choice of sub depends on what kind and how big of a box you're putting it in, but match the sub to your air space and type of box.

Amps, personally I prefer Phoenix Gold amps, especially their older stuff. Rock solid performance.

Head unit, your choice there. I have been partial to non touch screen, not video decks, as I want something that just works and I can navigate easily by touch without looking at it while driving.
That being said, I have had great luck with both Pioneer and Alpine decks, but have grown partial to Pioneer for the reasons above. I don't like the flip down faces that Alpine gravitates to.

All that being said, you can equip your truck and wire it properly, even do a battery upgrade and maybe a cap if you need it for well under your budget. Probably closer to half that and have a very clean sounding and loud system.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-15-2016, 8:24 AM Reply   
This thread is nearly two years old now and I figured I'd bring it back to life. I had a baby and never got around to buying myself a vehicle until recently. Originally I bought a 2011 Chevy and kept it for about 2 weeks. I absolutely hated it! Traded it in for a 2011 F150 and couldn't be happier. Now for the stereo. I had Jonyb from Pro Installz Mobile and Marine do the install as they did my boat and I was extremely happy with it. I debated over doing an iPad mini in the dash or the alpine 927hd head unit and decided on the alpine. For speakers we did Focal K2 Power, powered by an alpine PDX amp. I left the rear door speakers out, but will be having a set of Focal 165KRC speakers installed in a week or two. For the sub we went with a single alpine swt-type R which is their shallow mount sub. Powered by alpine PDX amp as well. This sub surprised the hell out of me. It will pound!! Im kicking around the idea of having one more installed, not that it doesn't hammer. I just always want more no matter what I get haha. I couldn't be happier with the install. John went out of his way to give me a few custom touches that I love! Like matching the panels on the box to match my interior colors. This stereo ROCKS. Head and shoulders above any stereo in a vehicle I've ever owned. Now for pics. Thanks again John!

Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-16-2016, 9:26 AM Reply   
I did an ipad mini in my truck. I love it. I did 2 13.5 w5s with all arc interior speakers and arc amps with the ipad mini and an arc eq. in a 13 chevy duramax.
Attached Images