Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Marksy)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-11-2012, 12:24 AM Reply   
I'm new to the used market. I purchased new the first time and ended up selling it to free up cash sadly. This time around I'm shopping second hand but it is daunting which is why I went new the first time.

How many hours on a 2009 210 with a 409 upgrade is equiv to say a well look after land cruiser with 50k 100k and 150k kms (I'm an Aussie)

I.e what is equiv to 50000 kms
What is equiv to 100000kms etc
Old     (Brendon444)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-11-2012, 12:54 AM Reply   
Not an accuate way to judge but for reference my truck has 125,000km and 2200 hours which shows you this is no way to compare. Your going to get all kinds of answers but really depends on maintanance, however my best guess would be:
50hrs = 10,000km
250hrs = 50,000km
500hrs = 100,000km
750hrs = 150,000km
1000hrs = 200,000km

This is no way accurate this is my opinion only.
Old     (Marksy)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-11-2012, 2:49 AM Reply   
Cheers for the response, I guess a better question would be how many hours is getting too old? Or what range is safer, or perhaps what i should consider.

I generally wouldn't consider a used car with over 50000kms. I guess I'm trying to relate to this.
Old     (wdr)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-11-2012, 5:31 AM Reply   
SM, on another forum someone posed that question to an Indmar rep and if IIRC his respnse was that "given proper maintenance that an engine should easily go 3000 hours". For me a good measure of the engine is the overall condition of the boat and most importantly maintenance records and receipts to validate! I typically put @ 100 hours a year on mine which I am guessing is at or below average compared to younger ski/wake boat demographic. You could roughly estimate the maintenance by taking the hours on the boat say (200) and dividing by 50 (hours) (Indmar recommendation for an oil change) = 4 oil changes and 1 impeller change to see if the owner is keeping up with the minimum maintenance. If he has receipts for them all I would say that the boat probably has a good history. Good luck with the hunt.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-11-2012, 6:33 AM Reply   
Motors can go a long time if properly cared for. If you want to know, get a compression check and a leak-down test. These can be performed by virtually any well equipped mechanic. If the motor has great compression and the rings still seal well, the rest of the motor is likely very good, too. I would not be concerned with up to 2,500 hours on a boat. If, however, the boat was not used much or left idle for a few years, that is a major concern as you can get flash rust in the cylinders (if not properly fogged and turned over) and the seals can develop leaks. Springs can also take a set if left in the compressed position for several years. So, I like seeing at least 20-hours a year on a boat motor with no dead seasons. So, if all other things are equal, I would take the 10 year old 2,000 hour boat versus the 10-year old 10-hour boat. With the 10-hour boat, I would not trust it until I had run it for a full season.

Don't count too much on receipts. I am a fanatic about maintenance, but don't keep too many boat receipts because I buy oil, filters, and other lubricants in bulk. So, trying to tack a person like me is very difficult since I use the same oil in the boat as in 3 of my cars. Look for the hard numbers from the mechanic for a real sense of the condition of the internals.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-11-2012, 7:53 AM Reply   
Maybe the best way to look at boat-car comparisons is to look at recommended oil changes. A boat it's 100 hours or one season, look at your car manual but it will be less than 5000 miles, usually 3500 miles. Oil replacement is based on wear so it's the best, consistant indicator.

I have a friend with 760,000 km on her Saturn and she changes the oil every 5000 km. That's over 150 changes. On a boat changed every 50 hours that would be 7500 hours. I think that sounds about right. An unusually well looked after car and an unusually well looked after boat. If you would not want a car with over 50,000 and you change oil every 5000km thats 10 oil changes. On a boat that's 500 hours if it is used for shorter seasons.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-11-2012, 9:04 AM Reply   
IMHO I don't think you can compare car and boat engines. In most cases, boat engines sit so much longer with no use.

OP- I've been looking for a used boat for about 5 months now. It sure ain't easy. I would like to find a boat that has been used and well maintained. This has been difficult. I just looked at a really nice '02 Sanger V210 with 77 hours on it. But man, that's not a lot of use in 10 years even if the oil has been changed every year. That thing has been sitting and it makes me nervous.
Old     (Brendon444)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-11-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
Everyone always gives you the oh my cousins car ran to million miles so every car will. Truth is most wont. I still think my comparision is accurate. Some cars run flawless to 200,000 or 400,000 km's ie. 1000/2000 hrs on a boat where others wont and will have problems. I would look for a newer boat with under 300 hours but again this is my personal opinion.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       04-11-2012, 11:27 AM Reply   
Hours don't mean much so don't obsess over it. Engines and transmissions are cheap and easy to rebuild. Focus more on cleanliness, dryness, and how well it seems to have been cared for. If it has higher hours (700+), use it as a negotiating tool for a better price, if the seller believes hours make a significant difference in the value of a boat.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-11-2012, 11:39 AM Reply   
A boat that sits for years without being used can have a whole different set of issues than one that is used & maintained or even used & abused. Things like dry rot, mold & mildew, dried & cracked seals, rubber belts & hoses, etc. are not uncommon. I bought a 6 yr old MC 205 that only had 59 hrs on it & had to replace the cover & every belt, hose & impeller in the first year.

Rather than looking at miles or kms, I'd look at hours & how well it was maintained. I think the average is about 75 hrs per year. Much more or less than that & start looking hard at how well it was maintained & the price of it.
Old     (Marksy)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-11-2012, 5:04 PM Reply   
thanks all it definately helps me. i wasnt so much looking for a comparison in engines them selves but a comparable way to work out the life span. I definitely have a better idea now so thanks.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-11-2012, 5:31 PM Reply   
life span wise i hear around 1500 -2000 hours is about where things start needing to be replaced.