Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       08-01-2016, 9:35 AM Reply   
A real pretty Axis came up locally which has all the add ins I'm trying to get for my Sanger. I have some middling interest in my boat and would get a boat which is 4 years newer if the wife approves and it has a surf system. My suck gate has made my surf wave spectacular so the question for me is will I benefit from "upgrading" if I can swing the deal? I'd like to demo the A20 if I get a chance but am not hopeful I can Bedford the end of my season. Once again, all input is appreciated.

"if life gives you lemons...

Freeze some and throw them at people you don't like"- Anonymous
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-01-2016, 9:51 AM Reply   
You got a good wave out of that lil sang dog?
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       08-01-2016, 12:24 PM Reply   
Here's one pic. I'll attach a couple more
Attached Images

Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       08-01-2016, 12:26 PM Reply   
Another from two days ago
Attached Images

Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       08-01-2016, 12:29 PM Reply   
His first time. He's nearly getting up on his own now. I get in the water with him and position the board on his feet. Any tips for getting little ones up are appreciated as well
Attached Images

Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-01-2016, 12:39 PM Reply   
love seeing the kids getting out !! are you guys allowed to ride with no PFD's ?
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       08-01-2016, 12:51 PM Reply   
I discourage it, but my niece was being cranky. She and my nephew both refused so I let it pass against my better judgement. Probably won't be doing it again, I don't like the attitude these kids have about it, and brings to light how ocean surfers can go without pfd's or even comp vests.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-01-2016, 1:03 PM Reply   
I cant compare performance but I would say the 07 Sanger has a much nicer interior and build quality than that Axis. I have been looking at the Axis boats and pounding my head at how cheap those boats feel. I get it, its a budget boat but damn.... its like Wal-mart started building boats.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-02-2016, 8:15 PM Reply   
I haven't been in a 2014 A20 but I do own a 2016 A20. The surf wave in my boat with surf gate + 3k ballast (factory + plug & play) looks similar to yours. It lengthens out a bit with more people in the boat. I like the surf wave but only recently learned to surf w/out the rope so I'm definitely a beginner (I've only been surfing 4 times now and was going w/out the rope consistently on my 3rd time out). The wakeboard wake on my A20 is much better than the wakeboard wake on the 2004 Sanger V210 I used to own. Also the sun pad on the back of the axis is completely flat unlike the sanger which had a hump in it from the Black Scorpion motor. Overall I like the A20 waves/wakes better. On the other hand I do think the Sanger (even the 2004 Sanger vs 2016 Axis) had a much nicer interior. All the compartments were hinged instead of cushions that just come off, all the hardware was stainless or aluminum whereas on the axis there are plastic pieces all over the place. The upholstery on the 2016 A20 is supposed to be a lot better than previous years and I can attest that it feels much thicker and nicer than the stuff on the A22 I demoed about 5 years ago. There is a lot of cheapo plastic in the Axis that isn't in the Sanger though. The axis does seem to handle rough water and rollers from other boats much better than the Sanger did.

All that said if I had it to do over again I'd keep my Sanger because it was less than half the price, performed better (even weighted), and was plenty boat for our family. I should have installed better automated ballast systems and just got the suction cup surf system for it and we would have been happy. I'm also a little pissed because I bought this Axis brand new and the dealer doesn't seem that interested in fixing the problems I'm having with it. (Rust all over the trailer in multiple places, bad crimps on the trailer wiring causing bare wires to hang out holes in the bottom of the trailer, misplaced bunks which make it difficult to winch the boat up onto the trailer because the brass water inlet drags on the bunk, upholstery issues which were there when I bought it and that they are going to "repair" instead of replace the cushion, stereo freezes up and requires cutting power completely to fix, and the list goes on -- I think if they had just taken my complaints seriously and fixed the major issues with the trailer I'd be a lot less nitpicky about other stuff but blah.)
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-03-2016, 12:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
I discourage it, but my niece was being cranky. She and my nephew both refused so I let it pass against my better judgement. Probably won't be doing it again, I don't like the attitude these kids have about it, and brings to light how ocean surfers can go without pfd's or even comp vests.

Not to open the vest debate, but the difference is ocean surfers have the board tethered to their leg. Yes, things can go wrong and the leash can snap, but if an ocean surfer sucks water into their lungs and sinks they are at least still tied to the board with a chance for retrieval and survival. Not the case in wake surfing. No vest, no ride behind my boat...no exceptions. Comp vest there is at least a fighting chance.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-03-2016, 12:40 PM Reply   
Leash or no leash, the ocean situation is 10x less forgiving than wakesurfing.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-03-2016, 5:49 PM Reply   
It's not worth the price increase and payments just for surf gate. I think you need to look bigger/newer/more toys to justify the jump.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-04-2016, 10:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Not to open the vest debate, but the difference is ocean surfers have the board tethered to their leg. Yes, things can go wrong and the leash can snap, but if an ocean surfer sucks water into their lungs and sinks they are at least still tied to the board with a chance for retrieval and survival. Not the case in wake surfing. No vest, no ride behind my boat...no exceptions. Comp vest there is at least a fighting chance.
No, the difference is when surfing in the ocean you have to duck dive and go under the waves in order to get out to the break. You would get destroyed trying to surf with a life jacket on. The leash is worn so you dont have to go all the way back into shore to get your board every time you fall.
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       08-04-2016, 10:27 AM Reply   
I'm leaning to go with you Billy Bob. My boat's a 2010, Axis is 4 years newer with surf system. I think the surf wave is comparable with my suck gate, just less convenience as I have to fill ballast over the side and manually switch reg-goofy-reg, etc. If I get my asking price then the differential is about 8000$ CDN. Think I'll keep the Sanger until both boys are comfortable surfing and wakeboarding, and then if the permission is there jump up to a 23 footer like a T23 or LSV23 or SAN230.
Old     (Bret)      Join Date: Nov 2013 Location: Santa Rosa, CA       08-04-2016, 11:52 AM Reply   
Lemonade why don't install an aerator ballast system from WakeMakers with a fly high 400 pound v-drive sac in each rear locker.
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       08-04-2016, 3:20 PM Reply   
I have 750's back there now...and I'm too cheap as the quote to install a reversible system was 2000$ and I supply the bags. I'd love to but the wife gets a cloudy look when I talk about upgrading the boat. I just dropped 150$ on a kids wakeboard and a wakeskate and I'm not looking forward to the conversation. I stilil have to arrange to get my FAE (same guy as ballast install, he's a pretty solid guy, no qualm's about him or his price for the ballast install, I'm just prioritizing other things). I was chekcing out the new Malibu's and they have a 21VLX this year with a 98" beam which seems like a nice luxury entry level boat.
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       08-04-2016, 3:56 PM Reply   
The surf wave behind that 21 VLX is really really good for a boat that size. Haven't seen the wakeboard wake but heard it is really wide. The 2016 A20 will surf a whole lot better than the 2014. I would stick with your sanger over the A20 for now and move into something like a 23LSV, SAN 230, etc. when you are ready for a bigger boat and a higher price tag.