Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-13-2013, 2:36 PM Reply   
B/c there’s a bunch of guys on here that like cars. I bought this about a month ago. Plan on using it as my daily driver. It’s a 2012. R-tronic…didn’t’ want to mess with a 6 speed in traffic. Debated on the v10/v8. Came down to price…couldn’t’ justify another 25k for the v10….it’s a torque monster, but not 25k.

It’s a blast to drive. Not crazy about the interior. But the performance is incredible.
Attached Images

Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-13-2013, 3:26 PM Reply   
Very nice.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-13-2013, 3:28 PM Reply   
That's pretty cool. A friend has a R8 with twin turbo's and Loves it. Cool car. Is the black stripe carbon?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-13-2013, 3:32 PM Reply   
One Hell of a daily driver....

Always loved the R8 & added bonus for white....CONGRATS!
Old     (MBofTexas)      Join Date: Aug 2013       11-13-2013, 3:52 PM Reply   
I guess you don't ever have daddy duty? So jealous.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-13-2013, 4:23 PM Reply   
Beautiful !!!!!!
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-13-2013, 6:58 PM Reply   
Not sure it tops the old 2001 Toyota Camry daily, well only car, driver of mine... But its close.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-13-2013, 7:31 PM Reply   
Nice!!

My buddy's ride he's out racing around on the streets and Miller Raceway.
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-13-2013, 8:19 PM Reply   
Didn't you have an Aston before this?
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       11-13-2013, 8:51 PM Reply   
Watch this video....

This will impress anyone about the R8..

http://vitaminl.tv/video/911?ref=ft
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-14-2013, 7:16 AM Reply   
Grant,
the black "sideblade" is carbon, so are the mirrors...and the rear diffuser ( not in the pic). It's got a partial carbon interior package...not full. Not sure why at this level car, the perosn that orderd the car didnt' pay the extra $2k to get the full carbon? Aftermarket...is closer to $6k. but paid $1800 for illuminated sills??

Eric,

No kids....hence the r8, lol. prolly costs about the same as daycare.

Matt, looks liike a R8 GT.....very expensive car and hard to get. People rave about them.

Hate, i had a black maserati GT.......warranty ran out, with only 30k miles, and 35 days after the wranty period the a/c compressor went out, the ferrari dealer and Maserati refused to help out on the repair ( $3k) , so instead of buying a new Maserati MC, I asked the tech who fixed my car drive it to the Audi dealership when he finsihed
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-14-2013, 7:20 AM Reply   
I dropped off the car monday to get the brak calipers painted. This is what I'm going with
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-14-2013, 10:00 AM Reply   
Beautiful car by the way. I've been made to understand that these R8's are much more reliable than your typical exotic.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-14-2013, 10:23 AM Reply   
Adam: Why would you go with orange? I think most would go with White Silver or Red. Is there a orange stitching in the interior?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-14-2013, 10:58 AM Reply   
stock is black. and yes most go red/silver or yellow ( usually indicates ceramic brakes). The wheels are the titanium finsih = dark gray to me. I like the color contrast of bright orange against the gray.
I'm also replacing the seat skins and will use orange stiching. I'll keep the OEM seats, but the new skins will be indenticla to the 2014 diamond stiched seats.
Attached Images

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-14-2013, 11:04 AM Reply   
thanks Hate. I've been told the same regading reliability. I've heard clutch life is really good on the r-tronic too. The car is under full warranty untill 2016...plus another 2 for being a CPO car...and has audi care on it.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-14-2013, 1:43 PM Reply   
Adam; the orange accent will go killer with the new brakes.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-14-2013, 4:23 PM Reply   
Is the car pictured above (with the orange brakes) the one you actually got or just an example? I noticed the V10 on the side of that one but thought you went with the V8.... I like the look of the orange, anything else would have been too "normal" looking.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-14-2013, 5:49 PM Reply   
Here is Kens R8
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-14-2013, 5:51 PM Reply   
More
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-14-2013, 6:09 PM Reply   
R8 it has been supercharged to 734hp and 600ft/lb of torque.**Its a beast.**20 inch tires sporting 255 rear and 235 front.**
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-19-2013, 12:15 PM Reply   
Nick it's the color I wanted, not my car.
Grant...have you been in that R8? Car looks awesome...paint is perfect.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-19-2013, 12:18 PM Reply   
I got my car back...it's not the color I had thought it was going to be. My fault for jumping the gun and not looking at a sample first. I sent the picture of the bright orange caliper over to the painter to have him color match and send me a sample. I'm going to have him spray it on carboard on stick it behind the wheel to test. Then make the decision if I want to drop another $1k to re-do them. Pissed at myself for not taking my time with it.
Attached Images

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-19-2013, 1:28 PM Reply   
Nice. I have had my eyes on that or the tesla (with or without option to catch fire).
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-19-2013, 1:45 PM Reply   
R8 is such a beautiful car, so jealous.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-19-2013, 2:49 PM Reply   
Thanks Darren.

I was just talkin to a friend about the car....it looks much better in person. The car never phtographs that well by amateur phtographers. the car is low and wide...it's hard to capture that in a picture.

My advice...drive the v8 first....and dont' drive the v10, lol.......ur wallet will thank you
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-20-2013, 8:04 AM Reply   
Adam; I have not driven Kens car. He has a bunch of Exotics including a LP740 roadster. He said that the R8 is crazy fast and he loves it.

As far as your painted calipers, looks like from the first picture you posted (the concept photo) you have a darker orange in the back and a lighter in the front. Is that correct?
I guess I just don't get the orange because I don't see how the orange ties into anything and it stands out to me in a confusing way. White, Sliver or Even Red would seem to make more sense,
But who cares what I think it's your car and you rock it.

I couldn't agree with you more about how R8s photograph.
In pictures they look cool but in person they are so much cooler.
Much wider and exotic looking in person. I guess when you see it parked next to a normal day to day car you can relay see how low and wide they are. Let us see some more pic's of your car Mabey they orange will go on me
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-20-2013, 12:23 PM Reply   
Grant, thhe phto that looks darker in the front/lighter inthe back is just a lighting issue. You cna tell the sun is coming in from the back. Her's antoher pic of hte same car....I like the brightness of the orange ( darker but brighter). The paint job looked like garabge up close so I'm having them re-spray all 4 calipers.
Attached Images

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-20-2013, 12:33 PM Reply   
I wanted a bright splash of color...i like red on the car, but #1 it's a sign of cermaic brakes on the r8...i leave that for the guys who pay the $15k extra #2....reminds me of a candy cane.lol.....the bright orange caught my eye...and seems to be popping up on cars. it could backfire on me if it doesn't tie into the new seats.....Another few oranges I'm looking at.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-20-2013, 12:51 PM Reply   
Ok I'm seeing it now. All 3 of the cars in your pictures look very good . The bright white sets it off. I guess the pictures of your car in doors under the yellow/orange sodium lights was making it look funky. But if your car comes out like the ones in the pictures I think that's a good look.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-21-2013, 8:08 AM Reply   
I'm trying to nail down the right caliper paint color. I'll take it back after T-giving or early december for the re-spray. anyone familiar with what color orange is on these cars?
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-21-2013, 12:48 PM Reply   
Hugger Orange, maybe?
Attached Images

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-22-2013, 2:23 PM Reply   
First world problems: Deciding what hue of orange you want to paint your brake calipers!

Nice car Dude. Congrats.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-25-2013, 10:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurtis_ttu View Post
Then make the decision if I want to drop another $1k to re-do them. .

You can't be serious.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-25-2013, 11:29 AM Reply   
First world problems: LOL

A friend is installing some stereo equipment in a corporate jet. The jet is a few years old and has real gold accessory, Like seat belt's and air control bezels ect the owner was trying to decide if it was worth $50K to change out the Gold accessory finish to a nickle finish?

Im sure there are way bigger examples of these types of "First world problems" and to each his own.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-27-2013, 7:27 AM Reply   
^^^^ that goes way beyond first works problems and moves thoroughly into rich people problems.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-27-2013, 7:28 AM Reply   
I love the second orange in the three car photo. It almost looks electric it must have some sort of light metalic in it.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-27-2013, 10:55 AM Reply   
Anybody watch the American Top Gear last night? They where at a drag strip down in Florida and I saw a quick shot of a white R8 with orange calipers but they never showed it again. I guess its more popular than I thought, I like it I just thing the car needs just a little more orange on it somewhere for it to really set it off.
Old     (TerryR)      Join Date: Aug 2010       11-28-2013, 2:07 AM Reply   
For those of you with a family, Audi has a 4door sedan, RS7.
Its not as sexy as the R8 V8 . It doesn't have an aluminum body so it weighs about 1K lbs more. But, it has 130 more HP and is about a half second faster from 0-60.
Attached Images

Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       11-28-2013, 8:33 AM Reply   
And if you have a dog: RS6 avant.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wpzOhn3t7Ug
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-28-2013, 9:05 AM Reply   
I just saw an RS7 yesterday. Bad ass!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-12-2013, 7:44 AM Reply   
Hate that " electric" orange is Mclaren orange...unfortunately Mclaren wont' give out the paint code....and I was unable to get it...even thru a friend of a Mclaren owner. I've seen that color in person...it's nto as bright as the picture.

the lighting in all those pics has alot to do with the color.

I'm almost certain I'm going with the porsche gt3 orange. it's a bit darker, but brighter than the lambo ( pearl) orange. I'm also having the painter try and spray a white base coat down first.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-12-2013, 12:04 PM Reply   
A white or a silver metallic base Will definitely help translucent colors like that orange pop.
My question is what kind of heat ranges are we talking about on calipers like that. I would think that the calipers would get pretty darn hot did you need some special style paint so that they didn't bubble.

I saw a Mercedes yesterday ( The new one with the gull wing doors) it was black with
Copper gold colored calipers. It looks pretty bad a$$
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-13-2013, 6:29 AM Reply   
powdercoating is the way to go, b/c of the potential heat issues. but powdercoating has it's own set of problems, IMO. The caliper needs to be fully disassembled. The car is under warranty , and dont' want Audi to have any reason to ever deny a potential warranty claim.

I'll risk a paint issue on the caliper. the shop doing the work has never had any issues just painting them. The outside of the caliper doens't get too hot ( normal driving).....the pad/rotor may heat up a bit.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-16-2014, 11:33 AM Reply   
Adam did you ever have any problems with the paint yet.

Not on the same level but I'm getting ready to paint my calipers on my duramax to match my boat. But I can't find any caliper paint that matches the boat so I was going to use high heat primer and heat clear with the auto paint that will match my boat and see what happens.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-17-2014, 8:34 AM Reply   
No problems with the paint as a result of driving. I had some brake fluid leak onto the freshly painted caliper ( ate some paint) and hte paint job in general wasnt' preped that great, so I'm havign the re-painthe calipers in a couple of weeks.

With a medicore prep it's held up nice.....and I had a day of 2-3 hr country driving beating up on the brakes ( 0-80, then ABS kickin in on turns..lol. ) for a few hours. They had to be really hot.

And no nicks from any road debris.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-17-2014, 8:47 AM Reply   
I'm having the repainted in the porsche GT3 orange.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-07-2014, 7:59 AM Reply   
Already decided to sell the r8. Lookin at the gallardo. I have a decent amount of seat time in one, but figured there are people on here that know more abt them than I do. What r the must have options? Know issues, ect? years to avoid.

Realistically looking to buy an 06-09.

colors i want - black/white/orange/green and must have the clear bonnet over the engine.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-08-2014, 7:37 AM Reply   
Adam; can't help you much but I can say the newer G that has the updated front end looks so much better IMO. I don't know what year they switched to the bumper that looks more like a Murci. My friend Ken that has the Black R8 that I posted pics of in this thread has one of the best looking G's I have seen. It's Pearl White. My other friend had a 04 G it was Orange Pearl it was a awesome color. It had the Clear engine cover and they painted the brakes and the air runners orange Pearl to match the car and it looked great. I can say that the G with the paddle shifters is super fun to drive. It had a ten thousand dollar Bassini exhaust with straight pipes and it sounded like a F-1 car way better then any V-12 Murci. On heavy down shifts it would spit fire out the back it was bad a$$ I will find a pic of Kens White G
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-09-2014, 8:14 AM Reply   
This car was in front of me the other day when I thought of this thread!

It sure is a cool car. But I understand the want to have the "look at me version" the R8 and the G are basically the same version if you have the V10 but many people dont break there neck looking at a R8 like they would looking at a G.

A friend had a TecArt Porsche. It was a Bad MoFo one of the baddest street cars around it was so crazy if you took of traction control you could light up all 4 weels in 2-3 rd gear but because it did not draw the attention he was looking for he got a stupid a$$ Ferrari . Imo it was sutch a backwards move he went from haveing this 1 off 800+ hp AWD 200+ MPH monster to a Stock Red Ferrari that every gold chain wearing dude has. But the funny thing is it did the Trick!!! Chicks/gold diggers came flocking and thats exactley what he wanted.
Attached Images

Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-09-2014, 8:48 AM Reply   
Pass on the lambo & just grab the DBS already
Attached Images

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-10-2014, 2:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
Pass on the lambo & just grab the DBS already
This +1000. The lambo lacks imagination, the Aston drips cool. I do prefer the V12 vantage tho.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-12-2014, 11:19 AM Reply   
The newer front end on the G came out in 09. I was told the clutches are stronger and last a bit longer…similar to what the R8 can get (mileage).
My r8 is the v8 not the 10….one for the reasons for the upgrade. I can get a lot more bang for my buck in the r8 v10, but the interiors of the G are 10x better than the r8. The r8 for the most part looks like every other audi on the inside…just kinda blah to me.
The Aston hands down wins on the interior…but that’s about it. Performance…unless you drop 200k+ on the v12, is good…but not great and it’s a GT car.
I’m after a true sport car…and mid engine is the only thing I want.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-19-2014, 6:14 AM Reply   
I’m looking at this car ( 09 LP560-4, converted to RWD), trying to schedule some time to fly out and see it in person. The color is a custom color that was reserved for the Murci. After getting more some drive time in the 09+ G cars it’s hard to consider the pre LP cars. It’s a significant upgrade. I also ruled out the spyder…@ 6’3” I’m just not gonna be comfortable in the car unless the top is down.
Attached Images

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-19-2014, 6:16 AM Reply   
car has fabspeed exhaust, LP570 Front bumper,LP570 Rear Diffuser,LP570 Skirts,LP570 Rear Spoiler,Carbon Fiber Mirrors,EvoMos Tune,JRZ COILOVERS
HRE Wheels .
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-19-2014, 7:20 AM Reply   
buy it. Buy it.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-19-2014, 9:48 AM Reply   
That's about as bad ass as it gets!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-19-2014, 1:55 PM Reply   
I wasn't going to say anything, but since you are a regular on WW, I will let you bring it to my driving school for free. I will take you lap after lap on the track of your choice and show you the proper driving techniques for sweat drifting, awesome powerslides, kickass kitties and how to go fast in a straight line. Just let me know when you are ready.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-19-2014, 6:45 PM Reply   
I just scorched my shorts.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-22-2014, 11:03 AM Reply   
Love the license plate.