Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-12-2010, 9:37 AM Reply   
Hey guys, so i grew up with my dad doing ridiculous tricks on stand ups with all his friends, so i grew up riding them. Havent had one in a while, but my buddy just got one. I'm not interested in a new one. But i found two older ones at a killer price so i just got them. Going to pick them up today. Just wondering if anybody on here rode them or had them or anything like that. I can't stand the waverunner people. but stand ups are completely different. just wondering what everybody had. I'll post pics of my two new (to me) rides. One is an older one but i got it bc its all original and has the same original paint that my dads first one had. the older red kawasaki js 550. that one is really for my brother. The one i got is a little newer but still with the boxy look, kawasaki js 550 except i think somebody raced it or used it for shows. its black with kawasaki green on it, its got a bunch of upgrades on it too. the red one is bone stock. just thought i'd share and see if anyone else was into it.
Old     (Donski)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-12-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
Can you do one of those awesome submarine things?
Old     (cibolasam)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-12-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
I have a 750 and a 550 I take out all the time they are a blast!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-12-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
Just saw a guy on Liberty riding in a headstand..... then he rolled on to the bow & aimed the jet skyward sending a stream of water about 50' up.

Their definitely different than the sit downs.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-12-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
Been riding them for years....a bunch of my moto buddies have gotten pretty heavy into it....had to step it up this year........
Attached Images

Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-12-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
I have had 4 different ones in the past... started with a Kaw js 550 and 650 they were a lot of fun to learn how to wrench on a motor and ride a stand up. Then I stared racing them upgraded to a 98 Superjet and a 2001 Superjet - the 2001 I completely rebuilt the motor - got it up to 63mph (gps speed) That is flying on the water!!! They are a ton of fun though...could do everything from barrel rolls to submarines...never got to ride one in the surf though...always a dream of mine!!! I will try and dig up some photos of them!
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-12-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
I've messed around on them a few times. I always thought I would get one someday. In fact, every time someone asks me what I want for my b-day, or xmas, I always say the same thing, "A stand up jet ski". Hasn't happened yet tho.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-12-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
I used to be REALLY into standups. There was a group of guys at our boat launch (Lake Sammamish) that used to do everything I now hate about jet skiers. These guys were awesome and went around the country doing tricks and getting paid well to do it, actually you can see a few of them in the movie Waterworld (lol I know lame movie). We used to do a lot of tricks, subs, hollywoods, barrel rolls, etc. We would go to the local races and do freestyle shows in between heats. I have wanted to get back into it, but storage is more a problem than anything else. Every once in a while I will get on one and show off a little for an old guy but that is about it.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-12-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
that thing is coming too right?
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-12-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
randy, that's pretty sweet, is that a superjet? going to pick them up in just a bit. pretty pumped to get back on one. Joe, you can get one for a couple hundred bucks. an older js 550 bone stock. i think i paid 200 for the red one. it doesn't look great but it runs and is all bone stock. that's all you need to get started. that's what i'm getting my brother. gotta have a riding partner. that's his early christmas present.

i took out a brand new superjet the other day. my buddy owns a shop that sells them, that's where i'm getting the older ones, they were trades that i'm pickin up at cost. it was nice. but i'm still a wakeboarder and can't justify spending that much money on one. the 550s will be fun to play around on and tinker with the engines and whatnot. any tips or suggestions for tricks... all i can do is ride it and hit some wakes that i may or may not land haha. but they are still fun. i'll have to get my dad out to get him to do the flips and stuff. i remember getting two boats side by side and watching him and his buddies go between them and hit the spine launching them!
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-12-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
Sippi, I hear ya on the old one's. The problem for me is I'm 6'3" and 235#. The older one's just didn't have enough go for me. I rode a friends newer Kawasaki. I couldn't believe how much that thing rips.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-12-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
I rocked a red/orange bone stock 550 for one summer during college. Best summer of my life. Was out on the thing daily. I, like Joe, ask for one every year for my birthday but have yet to get another one. I'd want a newer Yamaha superjet if I ever got another one. So much fun!
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-12-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
kawaksaki 750sxi here
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-12-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
I had one when I was a kid and remember watching Chris "The Fish" Fischetti and wanting to be just like him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q0U71mROIk
Old     (02redws6ta)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-12-2010, 2:09 PM Reply   
I ride a 91 Superjet and the G/F rides a 95 FX1.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-12-2010, 6:26 PM Reply   
My flatmate has a couple of old Kawasaki X2s, they're a lot of fun to cane around on or pop little bunny hop ollies, even tow the wakeboard behind them. Only one of them is running right now but he's got a fully rebuilt 650 cc race motor to go into the other one.

We took them out to the surf on a smaller day out west (about 4 ft) but they need bilge pumps since they fill up so quick, hard to keep them upright in the surf. Eventually I want to try tow surfing behind one.

Last edited by jtnz; 08-12-2010 at 6:29 PM. Reason: .
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-13-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocheese View Post
I had one when I was a kid and remember watching Chris "The Fish" Fischetti and wanting to be just like him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q0U71mROIk
I met Crhis "The Flying Fish" at a race in Charlotte. Awesome dude. I used to own a 650. Good times.
Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-13-2010, 8:25 AM Reply   
haha the Flying Fish was a pretty cool guy. I need to dig up some pictures with him. We used to go to the pro races in Chicago and was impressive watching those guys go that fast on that rough of water. I had a kaw 650 and a superjet 700. Have not been on one for 10 years until last weekend when I got to ride an older 550 on the ocean at Pismo and it was a blast.

If I had a lakehouse or houseboat I would definitley pick one up.

"randy, that's pretty sweet, is that a superjet?" ...It is a Kaw 650

Last edited by brianmiller; 08-13-2010 at 8:28 AM.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-13-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post
haha the Flying Fish was a pretty cool guy. I need to dig up some pictures with him. We used to go to the pro races in Chicago and was impressive watching those guys go that fast on that rough of water. I had a kaw 650 and a superjet 700. Have not been on one for 10 years until last weekend when I got to ride an older 550 on the ocean at Pismo and it was a blast.

If I had a lakehouse or houseboat I would definitley pick one up.

"randy, that's pretty sweet, is that a superjet?" ...It is a Kaw 650
Have a few pics myself. I'll see if I can scan them and post them up. I know I have one with "The Blond Bombshell". I was in lust.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-13-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
Years ago I had a girlfriend who owned a SeaDoo XP sit down. It was pretty quick & the exact type of PWC I hate to see on the lake now days. But at the time..... she had a great ass. It was fun to ride AirChair behind her on about a 30' rope. Nice view for me. Fun to play tug of war with her. Should could go a lot faster than I could handle. But I could steer way better than she could.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-13-2010, 9:45 AM Reply   
I had a stand up 550 and my wife had a stand up 440 waaaaay back before we were married. We ended up selling them to pay for a down payment on our first house. My buddy had an X2, which was the first sit down. However, it wasn't like today's sit downs and had a difficulty factor to it. I liked it because you could get two people on it, if you were skilled, and have a great time.

It's funny that you should post this because just last week I started looking for an X2. I'd love to get back on one of those!!
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-13-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
Anybody ever heard of rickter ? the make some sweet hulls for stand ups and whatnot. they even have a new sort of sit down ski...its called the RC-1 i think its a lot like x2. they are expensive as hell but pretty sweet. that rc-1 you have to kind of get going before you can sit on it kind of like the x2. i picked up my two 550s yesterday and took them out for a quick run. they run great. mine has a pipe,upgraded manifold, ride plate, handle bars, all kinds of stuff. its defiitely faster than the other one, but i can tell it'll be short lived because i'm going to want more power soon. but i'll get them fixed up a lot more, maybe put a cool paint job on them and put them up for sale next year or something. anyway, here's the link for that rickter site, check out the videos!
http://www.rickter-rrp.com/product_rickter.html
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-13-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
murdered out :0
Attached Images

Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-13-2010, 1:53 PM Reply   

the rickter looks sick...and if you buy one you can try this

A friend had a sea doo (I think) that was similar to the RC-1 except the handledid not come up. I forget the name of it.

Last edited by brianmiller; 08-13-2010 at 1:56 PM.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-14-2010, 9:02 AM Reply   
How come they didn't show him riding away from any of those??
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-14-2010, 8:18 PM Reply   
I don't know but I saw him do that on fuel tv I think it was. It was awesome! Those things are so expensive!
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-14-2010, 8:19 PM Reply   
Ps that murdered out one is awesome. What is that one?
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-16-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
well, i took them out for a thorough ride this weekend. they need some work but they are fun. i definitely liked the superjet i rode a lot better, it is wider, more stable, easier to ride, more power and its got more room where you stand. one of mine has every bolt on mod that you can think of but because its a 550 it just lacks the power. i think what i'm going to do is ride them for a few months, then fix them to a T. paint them so they look really good, and probably sell them so i can get a more powerful one. i'll get some pics up soon hopefully. to make these look good though, what colors do ya'll think i should paint them. one of them is the original kawasaki red with the stickers on it, i think i might just repaint it to original and get new stickers for it, that one has all original parts and stuff anyway. the other one is all black with kawasaki green on the hood and on the sidesa little bit. i might play around with that but keep it the black and green to some extent. but to sell them i need them to look good, not just run good. so i'll do it up this winter and sell them in the spring.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-16-2010, 4:29 PM Reply   
Sold all mine when I bought my boat
Attached Images

Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-16-2010, 6:40 PM Reply   
I love watching experienced people ride them using my weighted boats wake.These few guys here in Cleveland go off on them behind the boat.They're out on days that are a little too choppy to ride boards so to amuse myself on those days I fill the ballast and drive around for them to launch off the wake.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-16-2010, 6:57 PM Reply   
We do the same thing down here sometimes Jay. Its great entertainment when its gets blown out
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-17-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
Brandon, nice skis man! sucks you had to sell them, they are so much fun. and a great break from boarding sometimes. jay and brian what you should do next time you see them, grab a buddy that has a boat out on the water and ride about 15 ft apart creating the "spine" that is fun to wakeboard on. the fun part is hitting that thing on a jetski coming between the boats and launchin! if the jet skier has the balls to hit it haha.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-17-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
This thread is cool and I am not knocking "stand-ups". But, the other day one of my regular riding buddy's wife brought her friend and boyfriend. When I asked him if he wanted to take a wakeboard set, he said "Nah I jetski." About 99% sure he was not talking about stand-ups. hehe
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-17-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
Yea, in my opinion a "jet ski" is a stand up like the ones pictured in the thread. a "waverunner" is the sit down ones. funny thing is people that ride the waverunners call them jet skis because waverunner sounds gay, but they don't understand that just because you call it something else doesn't make it any less gay haha. i don't know if that makes any sense but it does to me.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-17-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
Yea, I gotcha. Its like Sea Ray owners calling their boats "Ski Boats" or "wakeboard boats" and not "run-abouts" or "stern drives."
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-17-2010, 12:01 PM Reply   
Yea. MOST of the time, the stand up riders aren't annoying either. mainly because you can't afford to be on a stand up because its easier to fall and get hurt IMO. its just so easy to operate a waverunner that people are stupid on them. on a stand up, if you are good on them, you've been on the water long enough not to be annoying. and if you're new at a stand up, your too scared to fall right in front of a boat or something so you're going to stay out of the way. that being said, IMO i don't mind slowing down and letting somebody on a stand up get some serious air and possibly some sick tricks. but unless you have an ocean wave and a ridiculously tricked out waverunner they just aren't fun to watch and don't do anything but annoy me. Not only that but IMO you can only have about 5 mins of fun on a waverunner then its just boring to me. So unless its towing a wakeboarder to hit rails, or towing a surfer into some ginormous waves, then its a stand up or a boat for me.