Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-06-2005, 5:26 PM Reply   
Whoever wrote the press release for USA Wakeboard can't even get their facts straight. Results say Philip Soven won the Pro(Open) Men's but the press release says he got the silver.

Wonder which one is correct? My guess is the results over the press release.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-06-2005, 5:36 PM Reply   
If you look at all the results you'll see that Phillip Soven took second to Jeff Weatherall in Open Men. Pro Men is a different division, in which Phillip won.

It's kind of wacky that the pros compete in two events and it doesn't appear that the pro divisions go toward the team results.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-06-2005, 5:46 PM Reply   
Thanks for clarifying Dave! I feel stupid now

That is strange that they compete in 2 event's, not sure if they've done that in the past but can't understand why they would organize something like that?
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-06-2005, 6:15 PM Reply   
This is what happens when waterskiers run a tournament. It's hard to figure out how to enter this to start with and they only allow 3 per country. So most of the best riders aren't even there. The real Worlds are in Australia. This one is not recognized by most people (except Europeans who can't compete with US and Australia). They need to get it together and have ONE deal.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-06-2005, 9:41 PM Reply   
I agree, having 2 different world championships from two different organizations isn't the best thing for the sport. We all recognize that the WWA Worlds (this year being held in Australia) is considered the real World's.

Don't know if both sides could ever coexist or unite for the betterment of the sport but I guess only time will tell.
Old    bocaboarder            09-07-2005, 12:58 PM Reply   
The WWC Worlds is a Team event. The US team won the gold medal by a huge margin. The members of the team with the exception of Cathy Williams finished 1st or second at the WWA nationals, although that was not part of the criteria they used. (neither was Andy Shulers Criteria)
Additionally there was no limit on how many Open men we sent, the only rule is no more than 2 members per division.
Old    bocaboarder            09-07-2005, 12:58 PM Reply   
The WWC Worlds is a Team event. The US team won the gold medal by a huge margin. The members of the team with the exception of Cathy Williams finished 1st or second at the WWA nationals, although that was not part of the criteria they used. (neither was Andy Shulers Criteria)
Additionally there was no limit on how many Open men we sent, the only rule is no more than 2 members per division.
Old    bocaboarder            09-07-2005, 1:00 PM Reply   
Old     (bulldog_peach)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-07-2005, 2:03 PM Reply   
who cares. These guys wouldn't let wakeboarders use fins on their wakeboard until 3 or 4 years ago. And if you really look at it the Ausies did better, they just forgot to send a bunch of little girls. What is with 5 riders in Jr Women- That kind of tells you something. INT League is more exciting.
Old    bocaboarder            09-07-2005, 2:32 PM Reply   
OH Natalie...... You sound off without the facts again. The Assussies sent a Girl named Catilyn (15 years old) who took 2nd and loaded up in the Masters division which we sent none but should have. Jr. Women only 5 how many were at the WWA Nationals? This is currently a weak division but with support many more girls will follow. I'll be willing to bet you only have sons. As far as fins go I believe you are refering to trick skis. You sound like an old 3 eventer.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-07-2005, 5:54 PM Reply   
She is right. Check the facts- No fins allowed at collegiates until 2001 or so. Hopefully they have learned and maybe they will get together with the WWA and have something special. I think its great the girls are out there.

The team thing- well I am not sure if girls and boys should be on a team with pros. Pros only team- men and women and even Jr Men, would be cool. It does not mean the same in my opinion but no big deal. Someone should come up with a tournament with teams from USA, Europe, Asia, N America (except USA) Australia/NZ and S America. Like a Ryder's Cup. That would be cool. (No kids, sorry)