Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (canada_air)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-07-2017, 7:09 AM Reply   
I presently ride Watson hybrid. Used to ride ronix one from 07-10. The darkside looks like it might be a good board but hard to know without riding. Thinking about ronix one or darkside next year. I know the one will ride way different than the old one I used to ride. I took my 03 byerly for a ride the other day. Have not rode that since 07 and used to love. omg slow coming in and felt like a brick when in the air and landing.
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-09-2017, 7:58 AM Reply   
I've heard via the local Ronix rep that the board has a similar rocker to Dean's previous board, the Code 22, but that this is a faster board.
Old     (canada_air)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-09-2017, 8:26 AM Reply   
Not sure a faster board is where I should go as my past slalom ski background already makes me want to cut to fast. Maybe the one would be a better option. I am 6'1 and 210 so then wondering 142 or 146
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-09-2017, 9:40 AM Reply   
If you go with the one, get the 146 for sure.
Old     (canada_air)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-09-2017, 5:46 PM Reply   
I do like the idea of soft landings with darkside but I'm sure the 146 one would be soft. I know my Watson hybrid has soft landings.
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-11-2017, 7:37 AM Reply   
I only said it was faster than the previous Code 22. Which, I've found to be slower than the One Timebombs I have access to. I have no idea if the darkside is faster or slower than the one. I doubt they'd be to far off from one another.
Old     (canada_air)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-14-2017, 6:06 AM Reply   
Thanks w,s.of course with everyone surfing and only us old guys on the water still boarding not many shops around here carry a full lineup of boards. So in spring it might be hard to get hands on one of each to test ride.
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-16-2017, 7:15 AM Reply   
I definitely feel your pain. I'm actually thinking of hitting ebay and grabbing an extra deck of my current 2015 board to avoid any of the unknown related to trying to find a new shape with the limited ability to try before you buy.
Old     (imoore)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-16-2017, 12:56 PM Reply   
My buddy over at Active Water Sports got to ride with Dean Smith this past summer and try out the Darkside. He said it's a really fun board and fast, but glides smoothly. It sounds like the One and the Darkside are definitely top of the line for Ronix though. I know Active Water Sports just got the 2018 Ronix boards in recently, so if you live in the Oregon area you should head there and check it out. The guys there are really knowledgeable on that stuff too, especially after riding both.
Old     (canada_air)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-16-2017, 7:45 PM Reply   
Yeah I'm up in Canada eh. About 2 hours from where rusty malinoski is from. I even road the marek for a season in support of him. That was an awesome board but did take some dirty spills on it. Maybe trying to hard to ride like rusty. I am definately no rusty.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       03-02-2018, 3:53 PM Reply   
Thread bump. Any word on new feedback 2018 One Timebomb vs Darkside? I saw them at the boat show and thought they both looked interesting. Currently on a 2016 139 Code 22 that I love. Unfortunately, I'm feeling I need to go up a size. I'm 180, 5'11". I'm debating tracking down a 143 Code 22 or jumping on one of these boards.
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       03-03-2018, 6:41 AM Reply   
I rode the 2017 one , I came off the old one time bomb from 2013 and had a 2012 watson. I love the new one , it is way faster and way softer landings than the previous generations, you can also break it loose a lot easier than the old one. I really loved my watson because i could break it loose and was fast. I love the new One as it is fast, can break loose and has way softer landings , plus it is really light.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       03-05-2018, 2:40 PM Reply   
I wonder how the new One will compare. They changed the shape a little and added these carbon reinforcement rods.

Old     (scooterinsk)      Join Date: Jul 2016       03-05-2018, 8:03 PM Reply   
Hey canada_air, I'm up in SK as well, may be able to meet up? I've got a 2014 One ATR and love it, it's a 142 though.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       06-07-2018, 12:44 AM Reply   
I wanted to follow up as I had a chance to demo the 2018 143 Darkside vs a 2018 142 One ATR vs 2017 HL Murray 145. I was hoping to have the Timebomb for the One but it’s what I had access to.

To me the darkside felt much more locked in when tracking than the One. I also noticed the delayed pop that Ronix advertises for it. Kind of feels like you’re getting the pop when the middle/back foot come off the lip of the wake (kind of like snowboarding). The darkside also felt bigger. Obviously it was 1cm longer but it felt larger in general. Comparing it to a Code 22 (with .8s) I was on previously, it was similar but the main differences were the faster feel and a more delayed pop.

I liked the Darkside more than the One but not enough to buy. I ended up keeping my HL Murray 145, which I liked the most of the 3. I still plan on demoing a HL Relapse when a chance arrives as that one has me curious too.
Old     (canada_air)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-11-2018, 5:55 AM Reply   
Thanks for reviews and tips guys. I road a 14 142 one the other day and felt slow like I weighed 300lbs. I hopped on buddies 145 bill board and it felt faster and more stable on the landings. The 142 one definately maybe a little small for my 215lb frame.