Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-04-2008, 7:25 AM Reply   
Anyone know what size/brand the stainless wakeboard upgrade prop on the 22SSV was? I had it on my 04, I wanna get one for my 07. I've bent 3 props in 2 months on twigs and waterlogged floaters (explode on impact).

I think the stainless is a tad bigger than the Nibral upgrade ( 14x14.25)
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-04-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
Someone explain to me the logic of a stainless prop? I thought the whole idea of a brass/nibral prop was to bend/break/fold/ding before any of the expensive parts (coupler/shaft/log/bearings) did?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-04-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
^^^Yes that’s correct, but my philosophy is if you hit something hard enough, you will damage the shaft/prop/rudder, underwater gear, ect. Regardless of what type of prop you have. Either way it’s an insurance claim.

I ride in a river that is shallow…you will hit small objects that float under the water (1-1.5 feet) they are typically logs that are partially water logged and rotten. You hit these with a Nibral prop…it will bend; a stainless will run right thru them. I know where all the big stuff is on my lake/river. I ran a stainless on my last boat for 2 years, hit quit a few things…never had any issues.

I’m having a bad run this year…..I’ve spent $500 in the last two months getting pros re-worked. 3 on my boat, one on a friend’s boat who I asked to drop my wife off at one of my neighbors on the lake I was at. He hit something on the way in.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-04-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
500 might be better than 2000 when a SS prop wont give and the underwater gear does. Im not sayin, im just sayin.
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-04-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
I have been through three props already this year also. I wonder if it would have helped to have a SS prop, all three were minor bends but enough for vibration. How much more are SS props?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-04-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
Jesse, all mine have been minor bends as well...it's hard to even tell there is anything wrong with them.

They are more expensive. I'm just trying to find the size/brand. They were an option on my 04 SSV.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-04-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
Try these guys.

http://www.cuttermarine.com/index.html
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-04-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
My stainless OEM by OJ was a 13.75x18.5 and have since upgraded to a nibral 14.25x14.5
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-04-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
Had a stainless on my boat before I upgraded. I hit all sorts of crap with that thing and it never winced. Running gear included.

Had a bad drought couple years ago, (still running stainless) and lakes were down 5 ft, some worse than that. My launch ended up being one of two usable launches on the lake. I swear, I hit something everytime we went out. Glad I didn't have a nibral on there.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-04-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
JHG, do you still have the stainless? If so any thoughts of selling it?

I'm assuming the prop did fine with alot of weight in the boat?
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-05-2008, 4:26 AM Reply   
Adam,

Base on what everyone is saying about the nibrals it may be smart to keep my stainless as a back-up. We ride in a lake that is typically free of debris however I have come across quite a few neutrally buoyant logs time and again. I should probably get under my boat today and take a look at the prop. We keep it moored and it hasn't been out of the water for a few weeks now.

The prop worked fairly well with about 2K in it however the newer prop performs much better.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-05-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
Also, check your insurance.... some of them have disclaimers on covering any under water parts. Hence Shaft and Prop so be careful.