Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (doubleup360)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-31-2003, 1:13 PM Reply   
At the beggining of last year I learned to do tantrums on my O'brien Answer {which is a great board} then I got a new Premier 140. Ever sence I got that board I havent been able to do a tantrum. Every other trick has gotten better and Im getting more pop off the wake, but I cant get a tantrum to work. Does anyone have and sugestions or has anyone had this problem before?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-31-2003, 3:40 PM Reply   
tell us how you are landing on your tantrum
Old     (doubleup360)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-31-2003, 8:36 PM Reply   
I think I dont get enough speed or something because if I try to just open my shoulders and stand tall like normal I dont get all the wayy around but if I wait and jump the start to flip I get all swisted and do like a 180 almost
Old     (jonori)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-01-2003, 12:35 AM Reply   
Tim, did you take a long period of time off of ridiing? How long was the break between trying to land the trick? I have a feeling it has nothing to do with the board, rather, you developed a bad habit.

Does it look anything like this?

http://www.wakepics.com/img/6610

I learned a Tantrum and took 9 months off of riding. Now every time I try a tantrum it looks like that. Let me know if you find a cure.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-01-2003, 7:28 AM Reply   
if you spin like that you are probably either pulling the rope across your body or letting it get above your head like a whirlybird. think about keeping your elbow in, and arm out to the side. also it looks like you are edging through the wake a lot. square up more and wait for the pop.
Old    boarderpunk            06-01-2003, 7:13 PM Reply   
Jason It kinda looks like you're grabbing the rope with you backhand too early in the rotation and it's pulling you off axis
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-02-2003, 9:58 AM Reply   
Tim,
Are you focusing on the top of the wake as you edge in?
If you were pulling off this trick some time ago and consistantly, the board should not be yoru problem. Other than the board, has anything else changed?
Are you looking straight back as you square up? if you are getting twisted, I think you may be looking to side, I had this problem for a while a few years back. The tantrum is a Trip-Flip so you don't want to "throw" the trick, you let inertia and change of direction dictate the move for you.
Focus very hard on the top of the wake, come in and about 1/2 - 3/4 of the way up "square-off" as quickly as possible and look back. spot your landing and edge away!!!
good luck,
KG
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-02-2003, 11:21 AM Reply   
very well put.
Old     (dlockett99)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-04-2003, 9:26 PM Reply   
Its the board, The premier is way too slow, unless your going 25-28 mph! I bought a 2003 and sold it after 1 month of riding. Went back to my Byerly. I know this board has to feel slow to you if you came from a obrien Answer, those boards are like a rocket.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-04-2003, 10:25 PM Reply   
It's not the board.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-05-2003, 10:12 AM Reply   
I've seen every trick in the book stomped out on a premier at normal speeds. It's not the board.
Old    av8roc            06-05-2003, 1:08 PM Reply   
funny...I went from a premier 140 which I had big tantrums dialed on to a 137 byerly and now Im having trouble'

Everyone is different
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-05-2003, 1:14 PM Reply   
i'm sure it's not the board, but like sean said, switching from one board to another can definitely throw you (pun intended).

daniel - you went from a premiere to a byerly and the byerly is faster? that's weird. the byerly is a full 3-stager, but the premier is a subtle-3 stage. aren't continuous rocker boards (which im assuming the obrien is), supposed to be faster? i thought the 3-stage rocker slowed the board down - more water to push thru, which gives you better pop (more to push off), but more drag too...
Old     (iewc_vp)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-05-2003, 1:55 PM Reply   
Tantrums are all mental. I used to be able to land them. Now somehow in my head I got all screwed up and cannot wait to throw it. Even when I cut into the wake saying " wait wait wait wait wait wait wait..." I throw it early and dig my head into the water. I think I may have lost it forever.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       06-09-2003, 9:39 AM Reply   
http://www.stellino.com/Videos.htm#sean

Can anybody give suggestions on the tantrum? I land like this all the time. I've landed three before but that was awhile ago. I'm with Tim, I think I've lost them for good
Old    steph_h2o            06-09-2003, 11:37 AM Reply   
it's all in your head! you don't try them often enough.
Old     (cryptic22)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-09-2003, 3:19 PM Reply   
Tim,

I think the problem is you haven't come out to ride with us. Give me a call sometime and we'll give you a pull.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-09-2003, 3:53 PM Reply   
Tim Jewitt, good news, there is hope. I just got mine back this year after a 3 year hiatus. If I can do it, you surely can.