Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-16-2016, 9:37 AM Reply   
Hey I just picked up this Anvil from a guy up the street. It's a Vulcan Brand size #8 I'm guessing it's a 80-90 Lb version.

I have a couple of questions. Should this thing just be left the way it is of should I do some restoration on it.?
Attached Images

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-16-2016, 9:46 AM Reply   
Definitely restore it!! I want to see what you come up with!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-16-2016, 9:48 AM Reply   
The Sides of the face have some missing spots. Is there any value in having a buddy weld up the missing spots. For my use the anvil is gonna work just fine the way it is. I was just wondering if I did any kind of restoration would it de value the Anvil. The previous owner said to not remove the rust. He claimed people like the rust patina.
Bla Bla Bla, I'm more of a like my stuff looking some what not antiqued and more maintained. Just thinking it would be a cool winter restoration project? What do you think.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-16-2016, 9:49 AM Reply   
Here is the damaged face.
Attached Images

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-16-2016, 11:30 AM Reply   
I'd just get the top restored so it's perfectly smooth and nice edges. Otherwise, sand blast the rest if you don't want the surface rust.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       09-16-2016, 11:53 AM Reply   
I'd leave it just the way it is .. once you start using it and beating stuff into submission on it the working areas will look just fine . I agree the rust looks cool
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-19-2016, 7:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIV210 View Post
I'd leave it just the way it is .. once you start using it and beating stuff into submission on it the working areas will look just fine . I agree the rust looks cool
+1! I really like the patina on it and if you do use it, you will just add to the coolness factor. That thing is
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-14-2016, 2:14 PM Reply   
Man I can't tell you how much I love having a Anvil. In the few weeks I have had it I have used it quite a bit. My box anchors were the first to get a Tune Up. The hing's at each corner have become a bit sloppy from throwing it on the shore and rocks over the years. A bit of beer and some well placed strikes and they are now good to go. A friend brought over a Precision square (it's the block looking thing on the ground), it's more of a Machinist Anvil and the 2 of these work great together
Attached Images