Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-15-2016, 12:17 AM Reply   
Hello,
I own a Mastercraft X45 and two days ago I had a problem with the tranny.
During a wakesurfing session I suddenly was unable to accelerate the boat without the tranny slipping. I had to go back to the harbour at 3/4 knots.
I then cheked the trannny fluid and it was low; I topped it, I went out again for a test and i did notice that the tranny was leaking.
The problem is that with the correct level of the tranny fluid I still had the same problem and after a while the tranny did no engage at all.
After being towed back to the harbour the tranny did engage again both in forward and reverse.

Could it be a problem with the tranny pump? Or do you think that the tranny plates are worn out?

I would assume that with the tranny pump not working at all the tranny would never engage, or am I wrong?
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-15-2016, 6:37 PM Reply   
I'm no expert on marine transmissions, but they are very similar to automatic transmissions in cars (with a damper plate instead of a torque converter). It's much more likely for the plates to be worn than the pump going out, especially if it was ran low on fluid and the pump couldn't generate enough pressure to fully apply the plates.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-16-2016, 7:44 AM Reply   
where was it leaking?
you fill it cold? typically should be checked and adjusted when at operating temp?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-16-2016, 7:44 AM Reply   
oops..
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-16-2016, 11:32 AM Reply   
im betting the tranny needs a rebuild once it got bad the first time I bet it warped the plates . Good luck
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-16-2016, 2:19 PM Reply   
The boat has been sitting for three days on its trailer and the fluid level is correct.
The pump has been removed and tomorrow a used pump will be installed to test the tranny and see if the issue is really the pump.
I was lucky that the mechanic had a used pump to install (before buying a new one).
Should it be the pump I will be back in the water in a couple of days, otherwise, in case the tranny needs a rebuild, August will be gone.
The leak is from the lower side of the tranny, opposite the identification plate of the tranny.

The fluid level was checked at operating temperature and when the tranny was opened there was no bad smell, and no smoke at all when the tranny had problems while in the water
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-20-2016, 11:51 AM Reply   
It was not the pump.
We replaced the pump and the tranny stopped leaking, but it still did not work, just as before.

The tranny need a rebuild, it was highly probable, but we had to try and see if it could be something else.

The problem now is if on a X45 the tranny can be removed without removing the engine from the boat.

The mechanics here in the region of Italy where my boat is located are not really skilled with those types of boat.
Any suggestions?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-21-2016, 12:00 AM Reply   
You're f'd. Gotta pull engine to get to the tranny.