Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-10-2016, 3:14 PM Reply   
A few years ago, we bought the "worst house in the best neighrorhood". I love the area, I can walk to the launch ramp at the lake, and have 2100 sq ft on 1/3 acre with a pool. We've been renovating room-by-room, and finally bit the bullet and took it ALL on. The previous owner "renovated" the kitchen with the cheapest cabinets and flooring money could buy. Nothing was done right. Electrical not in J boxes, switches backways, plumbing questionable, etc.

There was a fireplace wall which divided my family and kitchen which I HATED. I designed the whole kitchen, cabinet layout, everything, and started collecting the big ticket items I needed starting this year. My must haves: 36" Viking pro range, double ovens, under counter microwave, huge island, stacked cabinets, and a wine bar. I was able to scour the internet for some pretty incredible deals to allow me to build this kitchen on my budget - Viking Range $150 (came out of a multi million dollar home in Napa, hardly used normally $3,000), Bosch double ovens $2k brand new (list $3400, guy bought online, wife wanted a single with microwave and couldn't return), wine fridge - "scratch and dent" (not visable) $200, retail $850, Franke farmhouse sink, $200 brand new, MSRP $1200, etc.

Rundown of work:
Demo fireplace, dividing walls, and soffits
relocate range and refrigerator, chip slab for power to island
All new floors in house
New Doors/frames/hardware
Office remodel - build closet, LED lights
New LED recessed lighting througout
Exterior dryrot repair and paint
Interior paint and baseboards throughout

I took 5 work days off before memorial day weekend, which gave me 10 straight days to get a good chunk of work done. I am doing or managing all the work myself. I am lucky to have a good friend/superintendent who has a flexible schedule and can run the work while Im at my job. I'm also lucky to have lots of jobsite connections who do "side work" (painters, cabinet installers, tapers, you name it). We have a 11 month baby, and are living in the house. My wife and I both work as commercial construction project managers, so we know what to expect and how to schedule a job. I built a zip wall at the hallway to keep all dust clear, and built a temp kitchen in the garage for meal prep. We started this 3 weeks ago, and appliances and plumbing trim go in tomorrow. Its been a pretty incredible timeline.

This was "before" The fireplace wall was non bearing and took a huge chunk of space. Hated it.
l9dbd7d44-m10xd-w400_h300_q80
IMG_1072

IMG_1071

IMG_1070

IMG_3038
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-10-2016, 3:16 PM Reply   
Day 1 - Demo. Rounded up some good friends and knocked this out in 12 hours. Hauled off 50 yards of debris.
IMG_2885

IMG_2896

IMG_2897

IMG_2898

IMG_2899

IMG_2893
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-10-2016, 3:22 PM Reply   
By day 2 we were roughing in plumbing and electrical
IMG_2906

IMG_2907

IMG_2912

Rewired the kitchen
IMG_2924

LED lights installed
IMG_2927

Old plumbing in previous wetbar capped below slab
IMG_2901

IMG_2903

This is some of the scary electrical I found - 220 hanging out of a mudring and blue painters tape behind the oven

IMG_2881
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-10-2016, 3:25 PM Reply   
By Day 4 we were insulated and rocked
IMG_2931
IMG_2944
IMG_2951
IMG_2950
IMG_2952
IMG_2971
IMG_2972
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-10-2016, 3:36 PM Reply   
Day 7 lower cabinet installation started. Typically I would have the walls textured and painted prior, but my cabinet installer is only working weekends (see note about side work), so I had to work around to keep on schedule.
Rendering
IMG_2974

IMG_2979

IMG_2984

IMG_3024

I designed the island to have a curved front, stained to match cabinets. The toe kick is integrated to give it a seamless look.

IMG_3042

IMG_3045

IMG_3043

IMG_3046

IMG_3050

IMG_3054

IMG_3035
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-10-2016, 3:42 PM Reply   
Week 2 slowed down a bit because I had to go back to work, but we started the office renovation, which included the addition of a closet.

Closet location
IMG_3004

Found out the previous owner cut the 4x12 header and the soffit was left unsupported
IMG_3021

Reframed, added recessed soffit
IMG_3085

More scary electrical. Live electrical, in the wall with no box and only a cover plate
IMG_2996

IMG_3103

Drywalled, textured, painted
IMG_3159

Doors replaced
IMG_3158
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-10-2016, 3:46 PM Reply   
Started pulling baseboards in the Master Bedroom, and found black mold. Previous water damage "repair" was done, so I started undoing the work
IMG_3162

Culprit - Sh*tty design. Will have to take this apart and reflash, or extend the eve
IMG_3172

Water test fail
IMG_3171
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-10-2016, 3:51 PM Reply   
Week 3 (day 20 to be exact), the house is painted, hardwood (laminate actually believe it or not) is in, baseboards are in, counters are in (Cambria quartz - looks like Carrara marble), lighting is almost done, doors and hardware are in, and upper cabinets/appliances go tomorrow. Still alot of work to do, but not bad progress for a 3 week remodel so far while working my regular 50 hour weeks at my day job. I am in the process of starting my own company actually, and my house will be one of my showcase projects to show clients.
IMG_3254
IMG_3255
IMG_3256
IMG_3258
IMG_3259
IMG_3260
IMG_3261
IMG_3262
IMG_3263
IMG_3264
IMG_3252
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-10-2016, 4:04 PM Reply   
Oh my favorite part of the kitchen so far
IMG_3028
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-10-2016, 4:17 PM Reply   
Looks awesome!

We are gearing up to rip and replace our cabinets/island and fridge. Wish we could do a beast like that Viking but no gas in our neighborhood

Is that quartz countertop?
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-10-2016, 5:32 PM Reply   
Yeah it's Quartz, "torquay" by Cambria.
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       06-15-2016, 7:14 AM Reply   
Nice work man! Really like what you did with the island to make it match.

Any updates? I'm curious how the two tone cabinets came out. Also what was the deciding factor on the flooring? I see lots of people doing the "wood look" tile and curious if price or something else made you go with the laminate.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-15-2016, 7:48 AM Reply   
Orion - the two toned cabinets came out great in my opinion. I still haven't done the backsplash, but it will also be white subway tile. Both the cabinets are the same styler (shaker), so they tie well together.
Updates: Family room is complete, started moving furniture back in. Cabinets are all hung, just need to install molding (this weekend). All appliances are installed and working, the exhaust hood is just mocked up for now until backsplash.

The deciding factor on the flooring was 1) cost and 2) durability. The ceramic tile that looks like wood is awesome, but EXPENSIVE ($10 psf installed). We wanted engineered hardwood, but with the little ones we opted for more durability (the engineered wood dents and scratches easily). The laminate we chose was less than $4 a foot installed, AC4 commercial rating, and has the look and feel of wood. We couldnt be happier.

IMG_3332

IMG_3339

First dinner in new kitchen
IMG_3325

IMG_3324

IMG_3321

IMG_3348

IMG_3349

IMG_3351
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-15-2016, 7:51 AM Reply   
PS, I added up all my costs (including to complete), and I'm right at 50k. Kitchen came out to about 40 and the rest of the house 10. Those are my costs, getting bargains on all the fixtures/appliances/cabinets (wholesale), and the majority of the labor with my friends and I. Biggest costs are cabinets (8k), counters (8k), flooring (10k), and Appliances (6k).
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       06-15-2016, 8:12 AM Reply   
Nice work!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-15-2016, 8:38 AM Reply   
Great job! Thanks for sharing. Love to see projects like this, and it's even better when someone lets us in on the cost and breakdown.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-15-2016, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake_hughes View Post
Nice work!
Thanks! Ready to move back in the house now...
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       06-16-2016, 7:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroheight68 View Post
The deciding factor on the flooring was 1) cost and 2) durability. The ceramic tile that looks like wood is awesome, but EXPENSIVE ($10 psf installed). We wanted engineered hardwood, but with the little ones we opted for more durability (the engineered wood dents and scratches easily). The laminate we chose was less than $4 a foot installed, AC4 commercial rating, and has the look and feel of wood. We couldnt be happier.
Makes sense and with flooring already being one of your higher costs, doubling your price per sq. foot would wreck that budget. But nice work & I bet your guys are looking forward to enjoying it!

Last question that just popped in my head, are you worried about other hidden "gems" (electrical, plumbing or just in general) in the rest of the house after what you've already seen?

Last edited by chillinoj; 06-16-2016 at 7:34 AM. Reason: can't spell ha
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-16-2016, 7:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillinoj View Post
Makes sense and with flooring already being one of your higher costs, doubling your price per sq. foot would wreck that budget. But nice work & I bet your guys are looking forward to enjoying it!

Last question that just popped in my head, are you worried about other hidden "gems" (electrical, plumbing or just in general) in the rest of the house after what you've already seen?
I have taken care of all the hidden things in the house (I think?). Its pretty easy to tell where a wall has been opened (due to their crappy texture job), so anywhere the walls opened or there is something that doesnt look right I've taken it apart and put it back together the right way. Example - last year I found some romex running on the OUTSIDE of the dywall inside the closet. I traced it up to the attic to some can lights that were added. They had spliced into a main power run, wire nutted their connection in, electrical taped it and just layed it down in the insulation. No junction box. Another example - ceiling fans in the bedroom were added. I traced the power source to the furnace (should be dedicated) and the fixture was powered hot all the time, and the switch leg was just a neutral... big no no. I re-routed the electrical to a wall outlet.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-17-2016, 7:07 AM Reply   
Very nice work! Looks like you saved yourself a lot of cash by doing it yourself. I like that island with the curve in it, that's a nice touch!