Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       04-27-2016, 12:43 PM Reply   
Buddy talked me into my first triathlon with him... After I agreed he told me it's in 3 weeks.

I'm probably as out of shape as I've ever been. Ran a couple miles on Monday and today I can hardly walk.

Any tips from you pros?
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-27-2016, 1:52 PM Reply   
Is it a full Tri ?!
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       04-27-2016, 1:53 PM Reply   
My friend's doing olympic... I have a couple weeks to decide if I want to do sprint instead. Bike will be no problem and I'm pretty sure I'll get to the point where I can struggle through a 10k run... but the swim is my main concern.
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-27-2016, 2:29 PM Reply   
Get ready for some ice baths ! Sprint should be no problem if you ease into it , I would try to start slow and avoid over doing it so you can slowly build up. Never done any kind of tri since I'm a horrible swimmer. But have done a couple marathons and bike pretty regularly. I've always found that shutting it down when your starting to really feel sore is always a good move and I always Ice bath after any long runs or rides. It's pretty miserable but helps with recovery.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-27-2016, 2:46 PM Reply   
Go swim 66 laps(1 mile) in a lap pool & see how you are after that first.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       04-27-2016, 2:50 PM Reply   
Did a half mile in the pool this past weekend and survived ok. Going to the beach today and we'll see how it goes in open water...
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-27-2016, 3:05 PM Reply   
My advise is don't do it. Its hard to look cool in a boob tube covered in your wee.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-28-2016, 9:09 AM Reply   
I agree. looks painful. Go get some beer and sit on the beach for crying out loud.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-06-2016, 1:30 PM Reply   

more seriously, good luck the challenge of getting shape that fast!!
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       05-06-2016, 1:44 PM Reply   
Ha, thanks... My back hasn't been healing very fast so I've been doing nothing but swimming. Gonna try to run later today...
Old     (DocPhil)      Join Date: Aug 2015       05-09-2016, 5:21 AM Reply   
I've done an ironman and my advice is do it but do the sprint.

And swim, swim, swim in preparation

You can take all day to bike 12 miles and run a 5 K.

But the swim is the equalizer. Just get in swim shape FAST and you will be fine
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-09-2016, 8:16 AM Reply   
How long is the swim portion? Sprints have different lengths. My swim was half mile and it was not bad. I certainly was not in great swim shape. The good thing is that its first. Don't be afraid to flip over and backstroke if you have to for a portion. The bike and run anyone can struggle/walk through.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       05-09-2016, 10:08 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. Now that my back is almost 100% I'm feeling a lot better about the whole thing. The swim is only 750m luckily. Bike I'm not concerned about and I was able to run a few miles Friday without my back wiggling out so hopefully I can do a couple combo workouts this week and be good to go on Sunday.