Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       03-07-2016, 2:19 PM Reply   
http://nyti.ms/1U5kqEd

Interesting that so many sponsors are pulling out of snowboarding &skiing has been on the way out. I guess wakeboarding isn't the only one feeling that pressure.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-07-2016, 2:32 PM Reply   
It is the same thing as wakeboarding. These aren't snowboard companies and snowboarding is not in trouble. These were soft affiliations (energy drinks/sunglasses) riding the wave of growth. Well, a sport can't grow 25% every year and these guys owe 15% to their shareholders. I say, thanks for the easy money and good luck putting your money into video game contests, drone racing or whatever is breaking the internet this week.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-08-2016, 1:19 AM Reply   
1906 year - syrup against cough. Can you buy this one now? No. They didn't support any kind of sports.
Attached Images

Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-08-2016, 5:30 AM Reply   
It's another sport with limited access and high costs. You have to expect it to hit a ceiling in terms of participation. Growth of snowboarding exploded in the late 90s and 2000s. Now it's just riding the steady of waves of participation.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-08-2016, 8:05 AM Reply   
skiing has been on the way out?? you haven't seen an X games lately have you.... more tricks being thrown on skis than ever before. kids are skiing again. just got back from Keystone, skiing is doing just fine. snowboarding is too.

all snow and water sports are limited access "pay to play" sports. the model needs some tweaking, very similar to wake. sucks for pro athletes though
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-09-2016, 8:22 AM Reply   
Snowboarding and wakeboarding are dying? Except the lift lines at the ski resorts are miles long and you can't park anywhere near a ski resort anymore because they had to add 10 new parking lots at each one to account for all the additional skiers and snowboarders. Except you can't get on a lake that isn't so packed that rollers are everywhere unless you go to a private lake. I think there must be a pretty warped sense of what is popular.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-09-2016, 8:48 AM Reply   
Eric, I don't think it has really lost popularity at the actual participation level but where it may be losing is on viewership of actual contests or events. Me personally, it will never die. I still get the most jacked when Winter/Summer X Games are on. I'm an extreme sports fan through and through. A kid that can huck a trilple cork 1800 is laying it out on the line a heck of a lot more than your average basketball player and is more exciting to watch I M H O....can't forget that, otherwise it may be perceived as a fact.lol. Even the sports I don't participate in myself I still enjoy watching. I've always been drawn to individual sports more than team sports.

I think when you watch something like the Burton open most people that aren't as familiar with the sport may not grasp how difficult or different each trick is. They just see spinning and flipping. But, you can't deny Shaun White going over 25' out on a 20' half pipe isn't F'n cool.
Attached Images

Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-13-2016, 3:51 PM Reply   
hobbies trend, people get bored, want to change it up. also injuries are an issue. in the 90's i was young, not now, can't afford to tear knees and break bones. have responsibilities. skiing is more enjoyable over snowboarding if you just want to cruse. wake boarding is a hobby, just like surfing and will come and go and a few lifers will always do it.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-17-2016, 5:25 PM Reply   
https://youtu.be/WiqSvPasW3c
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-31-2016, 12:42 PM Reply   
I agree.....neither is dying. Resorts are more packed than ever. New board companies are still popping up. And more people are skiing in the parks than ever. I've been going to the same resort for 15 years and it's busier than ever.