Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    deltahoosier            03-01-2016, 10:52 AM Reply   
I am got a couple estimates and settled on a contractor to knock out the builder patio slab and put in a new concrete patio. I am looking at a little over 400 sq ft colored top and stamped. Adding in the concrete mow strip to move the grass area in a little and add some shape to the squarish lawn. Also it will facilitate maybe adding queen palm trees around the yard just outside the mow strips as to not be in the grass.

Are there some things I should consider like pre-run wiring for lights? How do I get lights in my patio if I wanted them and so on?

I know we have some real pros that know their stuff on here. Keep in mind I am a baller on a budget. I may have to set up now for something 6 months from now.

I don't think I am in a position to do any fancy gas line work so mainly electrical or any other tidbits.

Thanks.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-01-2016, 12:03 PM Reply   
Raised firepit
Old    deltahoosier            03-01-2016, 12:30 PM Reply   
Raised gas propane pit would be nice.
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-01-2016, 5:29 PM Reply   
Gas line to the fire pit and conduit for speaker wire / lights.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-01-2016, 6:25 PM Reply   
I just finished a flagstone patio and a gas pit at my house. Loving it so far!
Attached Images

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-01-2016, 6:26 PM Reply   
Things I would think about -

* Make sure it is above the grass and has good drainage or is slopped. Having dirt / mud wash over it during rains is a pain in the ass.

* Find out how big you want it, and make it a little bigger

* Having electrical nearby is nice, ditto with speakers. If you aren't ready now for that stuff, just run conduit so when its time at least that is done.

* Like other said, if you want fire, gas is the way to go.... two options would be run a gas line (you can always tie it in later, but run it now so its ready). Or via a propane tank under the pit... this can happen when ever.

* If you ever plan on having cover via a pergola or umbrella, having a spot for the legs or umbrella pole in the concrete is nice.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-02-2016, 7:32 AM Reply   
PVC sleeves and more PVC sleeves. Can't have too many if you want to future proof it.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-02-2016, 7:45 AM Reply   
Do the gas pits put out much heat? I like my regular fire pit but on my patio the smoke can be a pain in the ass.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-02-2016, 8:23 AM Reply   
Some of the things I planed for:

-Drainage, Speak wire (this was before bluetooth tech), deck lights, gas piping, future electrical for landscape lights, possible water line for water structure

-If you will be adding a patio cover - think Lights/speakers/tvs and all the stuff that comes with that

We just ran several pvc form one side of the slab to the other to make sure we always had it covered
Old    deltahoosier            03-02-2016, 10:12 AM Reply   
Nauti,

If I had that property, I would not even care if I had a patio. That is a nice fire pit and even better view.

The guy who is going to do it is supposed to add drains to the middle of my yard tying them into my rain gutter drains and get the slope of concrete proper. He is also going to add a rounded edge to my concrete instead of a square edge. He says he can make it look like one solid piece of stone (the whole slab).

Couple items you guys brought up that caught my eye:

- Water line may not be a bad idea. Maybe a copper pipe underneath that I could put various fittings on based on future need. Maybe ultimately put in a hose barb on the side by the dog kennel. Wife wants to get one of those little portable self contained waterfalls for a nice relaxing area.

- Sounds like take a few pvc's and run them from a central point and fan them out to a few locations for future use. Would not mind some hard wired lighting.

- The umbrella stand built in has me thinking. How hard would it be to place a couple of post holders for a hammock? Instead of having one of those fixed hammock stands always in the way, just have a couple of post locations where I could pull them out and store them. I wonder how deep I would need to go? May not be worth it if I have to get the quickcrete and posts out and make a whole production for it then trying to work with the guys to get those in a flush mount while having them lay the patio.

We are going to put in a alumiwood patio cover on sometime in the next few months. They will add lights to the cover by tying into the exterior light.

I would love to have some wired low voltage lighting that highlights the patio and the palm trees when we get them in. I have looked at the solar powered spots (just started), not sure how well they do?

Also, any SF Bay area folks have any recommendations for palm trees? Tall and short types. Thinking Queen palms as the main trees. Possibly European Fan Palms in a cluster between some of the trees. Possibly Christmas Palms instead of the queen palms but they are just outside of the USDA hardiness scale. Pretty new at the whole palm tree back yard thing. I know that they look beautiful when done well. I live in the burbs like most out here so we can see our neighbors houses. I want to move the eyes in and take the neighbors houses out of the focal point without trying to make a wall of green. Nice clean, something I can maybe put some spot lights on.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. You have my mind working.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-02-2016, 11:32 AM Reply   
PM sent. I just finished a huge back yard project at my house with palms etc. Problem is I'm too stupid to know how to get pics from my phone onto this forum.
Old    deltahoosier            03-02-2016, 1:23 PM Reply   
Thanks. Got it Markj. I replied back.