Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (crispywake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-18-2013, 8:27 PM Reply   
Sorry for this type of post (I've read hundreds of them), but couldn't find anything similar.

About to purchase my first boat, to be used for wakeboarding, wakesurfing, and relaxing on the lake. I have it narrowed down to these options:

2008 Supra 24 SSV Words Edition - 285 hours - $49k
2008 Supra 22 SSV (Loaded) - 385 hours - $44k
2010 Malibu 21 V-Ride - 169 hours - $42k
2011 Moomba Mobius LSV (21'6") - 149 hours - $49k

I honestly couldn't really tell the size difference between the 22' and 24' Supra while I was sitting in the main seating area. I am looking at the Malibu and Moomba tomorrow, so interested to see how the 21 foot compares. It seems like without Supra's backwards facing seat behind the driver, it looks like a more roomy configuration at least.

How would the wake compare for wake surfing and wakeboarding behind these boats? I've read tons of forum posts, but hard to get a valid feel, everyone likes their boat the best... so any constructive input on wakes as well as other aspects of ownership would be much appreciated! I will be a newbie, so don't care about "pro" wakes necessarily, just major differences and want to make sure I won't outgrow it.

Last edited by crispywake; 06-18-2013 at 8:33 PM.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-18-2013, 9:48 PM Reply   
No on moomba. Sure Supra and moomba come from the same factory just like Toyota and Lexus, but the moomba will leave you wishing you had more. The hull itself doesn't provide the greatest wake by any means and lots of little details are passed over.
The Malibu vride will be an awesome boat for what your looking for and keeps all the frills and such at bay giving you a reliable long lasting investment in fun. If there comes a time that you want to step up the game the vride has the ability to create one of the best wakes you will ever see given a few thousand pounds of water and or lead.
Best overall choice between your options would be the 24 supra. Bigger boat equals better surf wake and bigger wakeboard wake as well as tons of room for carry ons like ice chests, food, beach toys for the kids and people room. Supra hulls create in my opinion the best shaped stock wake of all boats.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-18-2013, 10:12 PM Reply   
The Moomba will have a more beginner friendly wakeboard wake than the 24SSV as in you can get down to 18 mph and still have a clean wake. The supras and Malibu will feel fancier than the Moomba and have more gizmos. The Malibu will probably have the most consistent wake as in it won't be so sensitive to weight placement.

Sent from my iPhone
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-19-2013, 4:11 AM Reply   
That is a really good deal on that V-ride. The '10 is on the '05-'08 VLX hull, which is a very good thing. '10 is also the first year for the G3 tower, one of the best towers ever made. Low but not too low of hours for a '10 and a price that a lot of people are asking for '05-'06 VLX's. If in good running order, even if low optioned, that's one worth snatching up.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-19-2013, 6:51 AM Reply   
I love the Supra 22SSV wake but for the money I'd give the nod to the Vride.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-19-2013, 7:02 AM Reply   
Not that it helps much but I got a quote on a 2012 vride new for 55,900 yesterday or the day before.
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-19-2013, 11:19 AM Reply   
Crispy, where are you from? I may be putting my 09 24 SSV gravity games edition up for sale soon in the Houston tx area.

I have ridden behind all of those boats and I would rate the wakes in the same order you have listed with best being the 24SSV.

The only difference in the 24 vs 22ssv is the 24 will have more room in the bow and you can get more ballast under the playpen.

The Malibu will have the least amount of interior room and storage. It has a nice wake but will be rampy and soft when compared to the supras which are more vert and hard.
Old     (crispywake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-23-2013, 10:49 PM Reply   
I purchased the Malibu vRide on Wednesday! The only downside is that I have been out of town all this weekend so haven't even been able to take it out to enjoy it yet... won't be able to until next weekend! It's driving me crazy but I'm so excited. Thanks for all your input guys!