Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-09-2012, 5:01 PM Reply   
Anyone have any idea how this could happen? Don't think I hit anything, didn't have any weird vibrations before. Just cruising along and a loud bang.

Doesn't appear that anything is bent at all.
Attached Images

Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-09-2012, 5:29 PM Reply   
You mean the prop along with the part of the shaft came clean off? Whoa...
Old     (superfluous)      Join Date: May 2012       06-09-2012, 5:37 PM Reply   
Past impact + fatigue or bad shaft + fatigue.

I had a similar occurrence with a rudder.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-09-2012, 5:46 PM Reply   
looking at the picture it looks like your shaft is way out of alignment
see how it is way over to the left side of the strut
Harmonics can build up from a shaft that is WAY out of alignment and break the shaft

Last edited by krbaugh; 06-09-2012 at 5:49 PM. Reason: spell
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-09-2012, 7:02 PM Reply   
Camera angle distortion might be misleading, but the cutlass bearing confirms the misalignment. Look at how it is compressed on the left side and not on the right.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-09-2012, 7:32 PM Reply   
I'm thinking we hit a little something earlier in the day, enough to throw it out of alignment, and a little hard running on it eventually made it break off.

Hope this doesn't take forever to get fixed.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-09-2012, 9:39 PM Reply   
yep that will do it
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-11-2012, 1:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by krbaugh View Post
looking at the picture it looks like your shaft is way out of alignment
see how it is way over to the left side of the strut
Harmonics can build up from a shaft that is WAY out of alignment and break the shaft
This happened on my friends Epic..twice! The shaft was out of alignment at the transmission which caused it to wobble weird or something and over time it snapped the shaft off in the transmission. The second time was at Lake Powell and we were in 200' of water and the boat just started filling up. Luckily the Epic's have dual rudders and the prop got lodged against the rudders and he was able to dive in and put the shaft back in place and tie it there and keep the boat from sinking. Hard to believe that anything could snap one of those shafts but it happens.

Get the alignment fixed or it will happen again.
Old     (jaxfoiler)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-12-2012, 8:29 AM Reply   
I had the same thing happen... When I bought the boat no signs, but the previous owner hit something, there was just enough fatigue that the shaft was in a small bind and it finally sheered off...LUCKILY mine did it above the shaft strut, and I didnt loose my prop, because when it slid back the prop hit the Rudder and it was still hanging in the shaft strut