Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (AndersonMC)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-07-2011, 9:43 PM Reply   
So I just put my wheels back on my trailer today and ended up stripping out one of my bolts on my trailer since the powder coat cover some of the treads. Anyways we leave for a trip on tommorow morning, is this a complete must fix? I'm sure I already know the answer but I wasn't sure.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-07-2011, 10:29 PM Reply   
Unless its a total loss you can get a 1/2-20 RH thread chaser and a new lugnut at an autoparts store to get you through the trip. replace the stud after you are back
Old     (OUMX117)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-08-2011, 6:54 AM Reply   
A common problem with wheel lugs is people over tightening them. Most of them do not need to be torqued to more than the 60-90ft-lb range. I can't tell you how many time i've seen full grown men just crank as hard as they can on a lug nut when tightening it. this is not necessary and will only lead to problems down the road. My advice, once you get your stripped sheel stud replaced (cheap and relatively simple) make sure you tighten the lugs to their proper torque. this will ensure do not have any problems in the future.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-08-2011, 7:43 AM Reply   
Running it with four will be fine. Fix it when you get back.
Old     (AndersonMC)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-08-2011, 9:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUMX117 View Post
A common problem with wheel lugs is people over tightening them. Most of them do not need to be torqued to more than the 60-90ft-lb range. I can't tell you how many time i've seen full grown men just crank as hard as they can on a lug nut when tightening it. this is not necessary and will only lead to problems down the road. My advice, once you get your stripped sheel stud replaced (cheap and relatively simple) make sure you tighten the lugs to their proper torque. this will ensure do not have any problems in the future.
We torque all our lug nuts at 90lbs but they were all powdercoated to match the wheels and when I put it bac on I didn't realize it had powder on the threads having it go on a little crooked and causing it to strip.
Old     (OUMX117)      Join Date: Nov 2010       07-08-2011, 9:11 AM Reply   
Ah I gotcha. Well it will definitely make it with 4 of 5 lugs. I was missing one lug for several trips last season and it was never an issue. I agree with Sparky, fix it when you get home.