Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-23-2006, 8:57 PM Reply   
I would like some ideas oh how some of you have mounted your ipods.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-23-2006, 9:43 PM Reply   
I for one don't mount mine (or attach to anything either,!) I just hook it up to the head unit via the control cable and stow it safely out of the way.
Installing a head unit that can control the iPod and keep it charged may not be as expensive as you think depending on what other features you need.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-23-2006, 10:39 PM Reply   
i just hook the nano up to the monster iCarPlay and put it on the dash. i have a rubber case so it doesn't move around. works perfectly.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-23-2006, 10:56 PM Reply   
Mike which deck do you have?
Old     (chuckd)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-24-2006, 7:13 AM Reply   
check this thing out. I have one in my car and will put it in my boat in the spring. It is pricey but you can put the ipod somewhere safe and it has a screen to mount wherever you want. http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default2.aspx
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-24-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
Have any of you used those FM adaptors? I almost bought one to use in my car, but wondered about sound quality.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-24-2006, 7:23 AM Reply   
I've used an FM modulators and the sound quality isn't good at all. In my old car it was the only option because the factory head unit was wired through the steering wheel. It's better to have one than not be able to use your ipod in your car, but the sound quality is nowhere near digital quality.
Old     (wakedog)      Join Date: May 2003       01-24-2006, 7:40 AM Reply   
Anyone tried this?
http://www.carplayer.com/
Old    ilovetrains            01-24-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
Unless you get a HK or dedicated HU it will not control your iPod the way you think. It will see it as one big changer, unable to navigate the menus.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-24-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
I think the FM modulator thing depends on location and car. We have the Monster one and works perfect where we are. Works perfect in my truck and the boat. We then hooked it into my fiance's new car and the sound quality was poor. Not sure what all the factors are, but I have heard the Monster one is much better than the ones sold at the Apple store
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-24-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
I just got a Monster one from bestbuy.com for $79 + shipping. We'll see how it works. Right now I've got the adapter for my CDM-3 Clarion in the boat and it works OK. The big downer is having to re-name play lists (because it looks at it like a CD changer), but other than that it's OK. I might end up using the monster adapter in the boat as well if I get tired of the clarion unit. We'll see.

I think the best option would be to find a deck that is directly linked and has full options for controlling the i-pod. The biggest downer with the Clarion adapter is that you can't use the I-pod controls to search for or skip a song. You basically get left skipping through hundreds of songs manually. Kind of a drag, but makes you good at eliminating the music that you don't want to listen to.
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-24-2006, 1:10 PM Reply   
I started with the FM modulator and it worked well except when I used it in the car with an amplified signal. The distortion is pretty bad even at low volumes. I would definitely advise against it if 1)you want a real clear sound 2) you are using an amplifier or amplifiers
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-24-2006, 1:47 PM Reply   
i have the monster cable iCarPlay fm modulator for my nano and it is damned nice. i went to the local apple store and was looking at modulators and the guy was like "you should get the monster one because it's powered from the car not the ipod and will sound better." i thought the guy was just blowing smoke up my a**, so i bought the cheaper one. went out to the car hooked it up and whaddaya know? it did suck. i returned it within 15 mins of purchasing and got the monster one and it is very, very nice for a modulator. with the case i have the setup is incredible.

ipods always charged and i can hook it up to any car/boat.

like those have stated pefore, modulators suck in comparison to a direct connection. it's worked well so far, i'll upgrade in a few months i guess.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-24-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
I had the monster FM transmitter and it sucked . I went out and purchased a new Sony head unit with aux input and now the IPOD sounds awesome .
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-24-2006, 4:25 PM Reply   
i did say

it is very, very nice for a modulator.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-25-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
Alpine makes a device for some of their head units where you can control the ipod from the head unit. The device also charges the ipod.