Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-11-2011, 4:29 PM Reply   
Since Pioneer doesn't have any good transom remotes (part of my requirement for my stereo upgrade), I am stuck with brands I normally don't use for aftermarket audio. Sony = crap. Not fond of the Clarion stuff. I hate JVC - that's the POS that's currently in the boat. Eclipse left the US, I'm not a Kenwood fan, so that leaves me with Alpine.

I don't need a Marine head unit, as it stays pretty dry where it is. I need a single DIN unit, which is the iDA-X100M, or I can spend $100 less and get the non-marine version, the iDA-X305S. My only concern is the MC20 may not be compatiable with this head unit. I did a Google search with no luck.

Anyone know if they are compatiable. I'd hate to spend the money on a head unit and find out they aren't.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-11-2011, 5:16 PM Reply   
I have wondered this myself. Another option with Alpine is the wireless remote:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/rue-m1rf

The nice part about that one is its rf so it doesnt need to be aimed at the receiver, and it floats. Unfortunately, I am unsure if it works with all Alpine receivers or just the marine stuff.

I am always curious why more people don't use Alpine, your explination of the different companies mirrors my thoughts for the most part.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-11-2011, 5:34 PM Reply   
The remote is niffty, and something I'd consider getting as an extra, but I want the transom remote so we can change channels on the Sirius, Pandora, or MP3's on the iPhone - and at minimum change the volume. Was really wanting it yesterday as we spent a couple hours swimming.

I prefer Pioneer stuff, as IMO it is the best bang for the buck stuff out there. I've never purchased Alpine units because they seem to have less features for more money. Clarion is okay, but never impressed me all that much. I love Eclipse - less for the features, more for the really good sound quality - have an Eclipse AVN in the wife's A4. If there was a decent transom remote that worked with a Pioneer unit, I'd be rocking that instead.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-11-2011, 6:23 PM Reply   
Uh Pioneer does have remotes that work on the transom, been using a Pioneer CD-MR70 for third season now and it works just fine. The Pioneer CD-MR80 is another option.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-11-2011, 6:39 PM Reply   
Here's the CD-MR70 i put on my transom, had to make a custom HDPE base molded for the deck as it was not flat where i wanted it. The CD-MR80 has an lcd readout btw, i just didn't need it.
Attached Images

Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-12-2011, 4:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzman View Post
Uh Pioneer does have remotes that work on the transom, been using a Pioneer CD-MR70 for third season now and it works just fine. The Pioneer CD-MR80 is another option.
Those are both 5+ years old now, and don't do a lot of the functions needed for the new head units.

I don't use CD's anymore, and never listen to Welfare Radio, the two things those are good at controlling. I need the ability to control music on my iPhone and my Sirius. I'm also not sure if it is even compatiable with newer units - everything I've ever found listed is 2005-06.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-12-2011, 7:19 AM Reply   
I put a new Pioneer hu in last year as my old one died, works fine. But then i only use volume, src and mute at the transom.
Old     (canadawake)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-12-2011, 1:09 PM Reply   
nitriousbird - MC20 will only work with marine specific headunits (iDA-X100M, CDA-9886M & CDA-118M) there is a proprietary connection that takes place, as the MC20 provides meta-data for the source you are on (ie: Sirius song/channel info), Unlike competitors that do not, similar to the pioneer remote listed.

That being said the RUE-M1RF will work with any alpine headunit that has an SWC (steeringwheel) control port, like the IDA-X305S you have mentioned.

hope this helps, first time poster, but I know alpine product inside and out
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-12-2011, 9:32 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^ Cory is correct. the MC20 will only work with Marine head units. Just went through this process with Alpine support. I have a non-marine head unit for sale.......lol
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-13-2011, 4:55 AM Reply   
Well, looks like I am stuck with the iDA-X100M then.

Anyone know the difference between the MC10 and MC20? They look the same, but I'd assume the MC20 has more features or some update fix beyond just a different model number.
Old     (canadawake)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-13-2011, 9:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
Well, looks like I am stuck with the iDA-X100M then.

Anyone know the difference between the MC10 and MC20? They look the same, but I'd assume the MC20 has more features or some update fix beyond just a different model number.
MC10 - 1st Gen marine controller with RF "Brain" that plugs into back of Alpine Marine deck.

MC20 - 2nd Gen marine controller with RF "Brain" that plugs into back of Alpine Marine deck. That also supports "Dual Zone" volume when paired with a CDA-118M

MC1-1st Gen marine controller "slave unit". Can add on once you have a MC10/MC20

MC2 - 2st Gen marine controller "slave unit". Can add on once you have a MC10/MC20. Supports "Dual Zone" volume control when paired with CDA-118M

Bottom line MC20/MC2 allow you to control the 2nd zone of audio if you are using the CDA-118M.

All models will work in conjunction with each other in any combination when paired with Alpine Marine headunit, although you would loose the ability to control the "2nd" zone on the CDA-118M if you do not use a MC20/MC2.

Hope this helps
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-13-2011, 2:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadawake View Post
MC10 - 1st Gen marine controller with RF "Brain" that plugs into back of Alpine Marine deck.

MC20 - 2nd Gen marine controller with RF "Brain" that plugs into back of Alpine Marine deck. That also supports "Dual Zone" volume when paired with a CDA-118M

MC1-1st Gen marine controller "slave unit". Can add on once you have a MC10/MC20

MC2 - 2st Gen marine controller "slave unit". Can add on once you have a MC10/MC20. Supports "Dual Zone" volume control when paired with CDA-118M

Bottom line MC20/MC2 allow you to control the 2nd zone of audio if you are using the CDA-118M.

All models will work in conjunction with each other in any combination when paired with Alpine Marine headunit, although you would loose the ability to control the "2nd" zone on the CDA-118M if you do not use a MC20/MC2.

Hope this helps
That helps a lot. Since I have a single DIN head unit opening, I can't run the CDA-118. Even if I could, I have no use for multi-zone audio (that might be useful for closed bow and off-shore stuff, but I can't fathom a use for it on a wakeboard boat). I can save money buying a MC1 or MC10 instead, as they tend to go for a few bucks less.
Old     (canadawake)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-14-2011, 7:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
That helps a lot. Since I have a single DIN head unit opening, I can't run the CDA-118. Even if I could, I have no use for multi-zone audio (that might be useful for closed bow and off-shore stuff, but I can't fathom a use for it on a wakeboard boat). I can save money buying a MC1 or MC10 instead, as they tend to go for a few bucks less.
Yea! You got it.

Keep in mind the CDA-118M is a Single DIN deck with a larger face. Therefore will fit in any 1-din opening, just need the room to accommodate on the front panel.

As for the "dual zone" I plan on running it to my tower speaker so I will have independent control of them (and no need to add on a WS420 EQ)

Glad I was able to help!
Cheers,
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-27-2013, 8:01 PM Reply   
so the MC1/10 will work with regular HU and not just Marine HU's?
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-27-2013, 8:28 PM Reply   
Honestly not sure about alpine reliability. head unit cda118m lot's of features, love it. reliability of head unit so far good. remotes mc2 not good. now i think i have a good one. remote that came with boat was bad. 2nd one i bought was bad. 2 remotes would not fire up consistently. when power goes on display is lit but dead. recent bought 3rd, and i think this one is ok. then also had the transceiver that comes with that hooks to head unit go out. but alpine was nice enough to send me transceiver since i bought 2 remotes. i also did have one of the little ones m1rf no display and it does work good for like $20. not bad for wandering around the boat. if it was not a 400 head unit i might have dumped it...but dual zone for separate volume for tower speakers is real nice.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-27-2013, 10:01 PM Reply   
Way old thread brought back to life

Just an FYI. Alpine has discontinued its marine electronics line with no announcement of replacing it. So what's left at retailers is it.