Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-15-2011, 11:31 AM Reply   
I bought a suburban that came w/ 22s last year. I'm not much of a wheel guy, but I like the ones that came w/ my rig. I've heard that they are not good for the ride and some tire places won't even sell new tires for them because they are not recommended for the vehicle. Just curious what the truth or untruth is about larger wheels. I have the original 16s that came with them so was thinking of switching back if it is a better ride and better for the burb...thoughts?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-15-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
I have 22s on my Escalade. Yes the ride suffers, and new tires are expensive. Having said that, I thought the smaller wheels didn't look as good in the fender wells. I have had no trouble getting new tires.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-15-2011, 11:42 AM Reply   
My Dodge 2500 diesel came with 17's and I put 22's on it and leveled it by lowering the rear instead of raising the front. Discount Tire will put 22" tires on it. I like my truck better with the 22" wheels. The ride is more stiff but I do not off-road my truck so it's just a more firm ride in town. I have Nitto Terra Grappler tires 285/50/22 and about to get a new set after 52,000 miles (which is great for an AT tire).
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-15-2011, 11:58 AM Reply   
I've got 22's on my Denali. They were on it when I bought it. I asked if the dealership had the stock wheels to put back on, but they didn't. I kindof like the look, but my clients and coworkers rib me about having a ghetto sled.

I haven't noticed a harsh ride. I have curbed them a few times, which is frustrating.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-15-2011, 11:58 AM Reply   
In my opinion the 22's fit the suburban's and tahoes perfect. I actually like the handling better with 22"s. yes stiffer, but I like that better. I am sure anyone will put tires on those 22"s for you. That is pretty much the norm now. Check with Schwab.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-15-2011, 12:10 PM Reply   
My escalade came stock with 22's...I like the ride. IMO, ride starts to really suffer on 24's. My tahoe rode like crap on 24's.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-15-2011, 12:41 PM Reply   
^^^ as Adam said... some GM's come with 22's from the factory. If not, they offer them as accesory wheels. My Denali XL is riding on GM accessory 22's. The ride is not harsh at all... I'd call it firm. But I honestly can't tell the difference from my old Suburban which was on factory 20's.